[peter365] Easy money Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - May 2009 » [peter365] Easy money « Previous Next »

Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 1817
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to George and some scientists I won the bet
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)
Username: Noobdogg

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

George - H? A? M?
Is he related to you? Your friend? A famous individual?

Is this a true story?

Is who the bet was with relevant? Was it with George by any chance?

Was the bet made while any of the involved individuals were themselves and/or in the company of people who were - drunk?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1818
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

George - H? A? M? yes to all
Is he related to you? no Your friend? no A famous individual? yes

Is this a true story? yes

Is who the bet was with relevant? not really, jsut a buddy of mine Was it with George by any chance? no

Was the bet made while any of the involved individuals were themselves and/or in the company of people who were - drunk? LOL but no.

note to self : less puzzles with drinking or pub themes in future
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

George = George W. Bush? George H.W. Bush? one of the kings of England? George Clooney?

Scientists - Were they involved in the field of physics? chemistry? biology? Did they create something? discover something?

Did the bet have something to do with you listing a bunch of information you know (e.g., listing all the presidents of the U.S.)? Or was the bet made because one of you did not believe a piece of information the other said? Or was it a bet where one of you had to perform an action?

Random guess: Anything to do with global warming?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1819
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

George = George W. Bush? George H.W. Bush? one of the kings of England? George Clooney? none of these

Scientists - Were they involved in the field of physics? chemistry? biology? yes Did they create something? yes discover something? yesish

Did the bet have something to do with you listing a bunch of information you know (e.g., listing all the presidents of the U.S.)? no Or was the bet made because one of you did not believe a piece of information the other said? not this either Or was it a bet where one of you had to perform an action? yope.. it wasn't a dare type bet though

Random guess: Anything to do with global warming? no
Eliott85 (Eliott85)
Username: Eliott85

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

George Washington? If so, relevant that he is one money?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1820
Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

George Washington? not him either If so, relevant that he is one money?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

George Carlin? We miss you, you brilliant old fart...
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 786
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did George live in the 21st Century? 20th? 19th?.... etc.

Did he live in Europe? North America? South America?... etc.

Is the type of science relevant? If so, life sciences? Physical science? Engineering involved?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1821
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did George live in the 21st Century? 20th? 19th?.... etc. he's still alive if that helps

Did he live in Europe? North America? this and he still does South America?... etc.

Is the type of science relevant? yes If so, life sciences? this Physical science? Engineering involved? to a degree but careful
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1822
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

George Carlin? no We miss you, you brilliant old fart...George Carlin was an absolute legend .. as is the one in this puzzle
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Boy George?
George Lucas?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 787
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does his work benefit the public? Corporations? Have inventions been made capitalizing on his discoveries? Have lives been saved?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 788
Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or rather, does the science benefit the public? Is George a scientist? A politician?
Kaygee (Kaygee)
Username: Kaygee

Post Number: 299
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Yope" on performing an action: So, did you bet that "something" biologically was possible? or impossible? And science proved you right? Did George do "it"? fail to do "it"?
Finno (Finno)
Username: Finno

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 4:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cloning relevant?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1823
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noobdogg

Boy George?
George Lucas? yes

Jenburdoo

Does his work benefit the public? well some would say it does Corporations? Have inventions been made capitalizing on his discoveries? Have lives been saved? you now know who George is

Or rather, does the science benefit the public? opinion is divided on the subject Is George a scientist? A politician? no see above

Kaygee

Yope" on performing an action: So, did you bet that "something" biologically was possible? no or impossible? not this either And science proved you right? no Did George do "it"? fail to do "it"? neither

Finno

Cloning relevant? yes , well done
Absinthe (Absinthe)
Username: Absinthe

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Star Wars: Clone Wars? Do we need to be familiar with the film to solve this puzzle?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1824
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Star Wars yes: Clone Wars? no it's actually Episode II Attack of the clones that's relevant Do we need to be familiar with the film to solve this puzzle? no you don't need any more info about the movie to solve this
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So did you win a bet regarding "Attack of the Clones"? or regarding the scientific process of cloning?

Anything to do with Dolly? Snuppy?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1825
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So did you win a bet regarding "Attack of the Clones"? or regarding the scientific process of cloning? the bet was to do with neither of them but they both helped me win it

Anything to do with Dolly? Snuppy? No

a little hint : Where am i from?
Absinthe (Absinthe)
Username: Absinthe

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the bet itself involve clones, or did you win it cleverly by utilising the concept of clones?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1826
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the bet itself involve clones, or did you win it cleverly by utilising the concept of clones? the bet did not involve cloning or the Star Wars movie but i did utilise them cleverly to win the bet. I'd answer yesish to the "Concept of clones"
Vstan9 (Vstan9)
Username: Vstan9

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the bet relating to identical looking people such as twins having identical personalities?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1840
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the bet relating to identical looking people such as twins having identical personalities? no I'm afraid not .. and welcome to the forum btw.

Interest in this has flagged so i'll give another hint. A boxer who won a world championship in June 1985 also helped me win the bet
Vstan9 (Vstan9)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it relating to mike tyson?
Vstan9 (Vstan9)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if yes, then to summarise, the bet relates to concept of clones as in star wars & mike tyson?

if possible give any other hint as well..
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1841
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it relating to mike tyson? no not Iron Mike i'm afraid

if yes, then to summarise, the bet relates to concept of clones as in star wars & mike tyson? no

if possible give any other hint as well.. try googling the boxer and all will be revealed
Hietek (Hietek)
Username: Hietek

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I googled and George Foreman came up. Now all I can think of is the George Foreman grills.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1844
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

googled and George Foreman came up. Now all I can think of is the George Foreman grills. no not George

Remember my hint : "Where am i from?"
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some Google-fu reveals Barry McGuigan, also known as the Clones Cyclone. Anything specific about him? Or just that he comes from Clones? Or that he won the World Championship in '85?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1846
Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some Google-fu reveals Barry McGuigan, also known as the Clones Cyclone.well done Anything specific about him? see next answer Or just that he comes from Clones? this Or that he won the World Championship in '85?

Yes Barry comes from the town of Clones (pronounced clo-ness) which is also my hometown. So the connecting word between scientists , George Lucas & Barry McGuigan is Clones . How did i use this connection to help me win a bet?
Spackspartan (Spackspartan)
Username: Spackspartan

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You bet something about clones (as in Dolly the sheep or the like?) Something about Clones (as in the town)?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1858
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You bet something about clones (as in Dolly the sheep or the like?) no Something about Clones (as in the town)? yes.

Hint: Hardly anyone (outside of Ireland) has ever heard of my home town but most people have heard of clones as in Dolly the Sheep or "Attack of the..." Ask yourself how did i use this fact to win a friendly wager
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you bet that someone would answer a question with the word "clones"? Did your bet have anything to do with whether someone? or some people? would pronounce the (written?) word "clones" (/klounz/) instead of "Clones" (/'klounIs/)? Did your bet have to do with lateral puzzling at all?

Just imagine those 'u's are Latin upsilons. Side note: I hate trying to write IPA in programs that don't have the capabilities... Sad panda :-(
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1866
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you bet that someone would answer a question with the word "clones"? no Did your bet have anything to do with whether someone? or some people? would pronounce the (written?) word "clones" (/klounz/) instead of "Clones" (/'klounIs/)? no to this Did your bet have to do with lateral puzzling at all? nice idea but no

I'm giving a big hint here as this is not my greatest puzzle ever. My friend had a word and I had a word (Clones/clones) and my word won

Just imagine those 'u's are Latin upsilons. Side note: I hate trying to write IPA in programs that don't have the capabilities... Sad panda :-( no worries your post made perfect sense
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 370
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the bet as to who could get someone to guess his hometown first, without referencing any place names?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1869
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the bet as to who could get someone to guess his hometown first, without referencing any place names? no not this kind of thing
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Number of google search results/hits relevant?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1873
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Number of google search results/hits relevant? yes. Care to finish this off?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)
Username: Doctapeppa

Post Number: 2303
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with the fact that "Clones" has more of Google hits than "Bratislava"?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 1878
Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with the fact that "Clones" has more of Google hits than "Bratislava"? you;re all knocking on the door so I'll go ahead an post the

***********SPOILER****************

A friend and I were playing "Google Fight" (See the link below) . We were wagering 1 Euro on the outcome of each Google Fight and I was lagging behind so I proposed we both choose the name of our hometown and see who won. My friend who comes from a much larger and more populous town leapt at the chance to increase his lead. He failed to realise (as i had) that my town Clones would get credit for Google hits relating to the scientific process of producing clones and also the Star Wars movie "Attack of the Clones". He was disgusted when Clones produced more than 3 times the number of hits as his hometown did.

Here's the link to Google Fight. It's good fun as an after dinner type game.

http://www.googlefight.com/

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: