[Absinthe] The Exhausting Trek Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - March 2009 » [Absinthe] The Exhausting Trek « Previous Next »

Absinthe (Absinthe)
Username: Absinthe

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two men carry a heavy sack between them. It contains something very precious to both of them, and though they barely have the strength to lift it, the question of abandoning the sack does not even occour to them. Soon the men see a third man in the distance. The immediately bury the sack and join the new man, never to return to it.

What was in the sack?
D_gordon (D_gordon)
Username: D_gordon

Post Number: 402
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooh, classic style and I don't know it!

Men = human? adult? males? All three of them?

Heavy -- of great mass?

Could this occur on Earth? Could it occur anywhere on Earth?

Is the third man's occupation relevant?

Did they bury the sack because they no longer needed it? Or, perhaps, because it contained evidence for a heinous crime? That, in the absence of other men, they might also need to stay alive?

Were they in a desert? And they killed a man and took his water, etc. and were drinking that and eating him? (Or, perhaps, they were in a cold desert and could eat snow and the man?) And they saw a rescuer? So they quickly buried the evidence and rushed to the rescuer?
Absinthe (Absinthe)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Damn. You're too good.

**************SPOILER**************
This puzzle is based on the story of the football team whose plane crashed in the Andes. Without food, the survivors had to resort to eating those who died in the crash. When it became obvious that they weren't going to be rescued, the two fittest men took a supply of meat and trekked over the mountains in search of civilisation, but buried the food in shame when they found rescue.
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)
Username: Noobdogg

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome to the forum, Absinthe! Do enjoy your time with us!
Absinthe (Absinthe)

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Er, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to reply to threads moved to this section, but...) Thank you! This place looks fun.
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)
Username: Noobdogg

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can post anywhere you like :-)
D_gordon (D_gordon)

Post Number: 406
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 3:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguayan_Air_Force_Flight_571 -- here's the Wikipedia article about the basis of this puzzle.
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 166
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a wonderful puzzle for people less familiar with the concept of lateral puzzles. Takes 'em hours.
Absinthe (Absinthe)

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haha, yeah. The first time I came across it I had to cheat and check the answers at the back of the book. ^^
D_gordon (D_gordon)

Post Number: 409
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Book, you say? Was the book by any chance written by Paul Sloane? :-P
Absinthe (Absinthe)

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't remember! It may have been, but I read it (and subsequently lost the book) a very long time ago.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: