[Absinthe] Edvard Munch? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - March 2009 » [Absinthe] Edvard Munch? « Previous Next »

Absinthe (Absinthe)
Username: Absinthe

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, March 20, 2009 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I'm with company, I scream once a day. When I'm alone, I'm silent all day -- though I've been known to scream twice a day.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 804
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are "you" H/A/M?
Are you an alarm clock?
Absinthe (Absinthe)

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lol, that's the second time someone's figured my puzzle out instantly. I'm not very good at these, am I? :/

**************SPOILER*************
I'm an alarm clock.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 807
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's not that hard to guess. You could obscure it somehow, perhaps starting "further back" in the story so that people have to work to get to the point of the part you actually posted.

Hang in there!
Absinthe (Absinthe)

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aha, that's a good point! Thank you.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 809
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another option people have used is to turn incidents like this into puzzles themselves. For example, one person used as his puzzle statement: I had a puzzle which I didn't use because I knew it would be solved instantly. The solution was that one of the first questions would be "H/A/M?" and the answer to that would have given away the answer to the entire puzzle.

BTW, what's the significance of the title to this one?
Absinthe (Absinthe)

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, that's a good idea. I'm reminded of one of the current puzzles that's titled, "My first puzzle... I think it's easy", but it's still unsolved after 33 posts. I guess unfamiliarity with these kind of puzzles (from a puzzle-making point of view) results in puzzles that are either way too easy, or way too hard. In both cases the answer seems obvious to the puzzle-maker, but that's only because they know it already, so they're unsure of which direction to adjust the difficulty. So in my case, I think I need to start assuming my puzzles are too easy. ^^

Edvard Munch is the man who painted "The Scream". :-)
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)
Username: Noobdogg

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I for one like these puzzles that you can solve by just reading the statement - they have a very classic quality about them, and I've posted a few quickies myself.

However, I agree with Jen that we puzzlers do enjoy unearthing bits and pieces before making the lateral leap, so work on that cryptic side ;-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: