[Bolapara] Groceries Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - April 2009 » [Bolapara] Groceries « Previous Next »

Bolapara (Bolapara)
Username: Bolapara

Post Number: 464
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I finished shopping, I returned my cart to the area designated by the sign. But the store owner and other patrons were mad at me. Why?
Absinthe (Absinthe)
Username: Absinthe

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they mad because you'd placed your trolley in the designated area, or because you'd done something else/caused something to happen in the process of returning your trolley?
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)
Username: Doctapeppa

Post Number: 2223
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it because, like me, you were pushing your cart along the marked pedestrian safety zones, but some jerk (coincidentally, the store owner) parked his/her massive SUV diagonally across the safety zone, resulting in the cart just barely managing to scrape by between it and the curb, leaving a massive scratch and a dent in the car (as well as ripping off the side mirror)? And everybody thought you could have just left your cart in the middle of the parking lot like everybody else?
Kaygee (Kaygee)
Username: Kaygee

Post Number: 309
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the weather relevant?
Is there a shortage of carts at this store?
Eliott85 (Eliott85)
Username: Eliott85

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you using a regular cart (one that has four wheels, and you stand behind it and push)? Or was it a special cart, like one for people who have trouble walking that's made of a completely different design? Or is it not a shopping cart at all?
Bolapara (Bolapara)

Post Number: 470
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they mad because you'd placed your trolley in the designated area, or because you'd done something else/caused something to happen in the process of returning your trolley?because I had placed it in the designated area

Was it because, like me, you were pushing your cart along the marked pedestrian safety zones, but some jerk (coincidentally, the store owner) parked his/her massive SUV diagonally across the safety zone, resulting in the cart just barely managing to scrape by between it and the curb, leaving a massive scratch and a dent in the car (as well as ripping off the side mirror)? no

And everybody thought you could have just left your cart in the middle of the parking lot like everybody else? no

Is the weather relevant? no

Is there a shortage of carts at this store?no

Were you using a regular cart (one that has four wheels, and you stand behind it and push)? This one - it was a regular shopping cart Or was it a special cart, like one for people who have trouble walking that's made of a completely different design? Or is it not a shopping cart at all?
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was what the sign said relevant? Did you think that you were returning your cart where it was supposed to be returned? but it wasn't? Did you misread the sign? Was the sign in a language other than English?

Is the type of store relevant?

Were the people in question mad at you for attempting to return your cart? For shopping there? For something you did prior to attempting to return your cart? while in the store?
Bolapara (Bolapara)

Post Number: 472
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was what the sign said relevant? yes, very much so
Did you think that you were returning your cart where it was supposed to be returned? I placed the cart where the sign said to put it
but it wasn't? it was not the correct area to return shopping carts

Did you misread the sign? noish

Was the sign in a language other than English? no

Is the type of store relevant? Noish, we'll call it a super-walmart

Were the people in question mad at you for attempting to return your cart? For shopping there? For something you did prior to attempting to return your cart? while in the store?no to all
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 2225
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the location where the sign said to return the shopping cart...
Inside?
Outside?
In the parking lot?
In the street?
In a parking spot?
In the fire lane? (of a building on fire)
In the middle of a field?
In a ditch?
On the roof?

Was the sign self-referential? (e.g., please return carts here) Or did it designate a specific place? (e.g., please return carts to 28.357901°N 80.684734°W)
Or perhaps a general place? (e.g., please return carts to where you found them) A relative place? (please return carts over there --->)

Would a non-sane non-down-to-earth person (i.e., anyone except you and me) interpret the sign as meaning to return the cart to the the location that was not the correct area to return shopping carts? Did some wiseguy move the sign into the women's locker room?

"Hey, I was just obeying the sign!"
Bolapara (Bolapara)

Post Number: 477
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the location where the sign said to return the shopping cart...
Inside?
Outside? this one
In the parking lot? yes
In the street?
In a parking spot? yes
In the fire lane? (of a building on fire)
In the middle of a field?
In a ditch?
On the roof?
all nonanswered are Noes, but be careful as you may have a FA

Was the sign self-referential? (e.g., please return carts here) Yes Or did it designate a specific place? (e.g., please return carts to 28.357901°N 80.684734°W) No
Or perhaps a general place? (e.g., please return carts to where you found them) A relative place? (please return carts over there --->)

Would a non-sane non-down-to-earth person (i.e., anyone except you and me) interpret the sign as meaning to return the cart to the the location that was not the correct area to return shopping carts? While I can't account for the mental thoughts and processes of others, I do presume that you and I would be the two posters on this forum most likely to return our shopping cart to this area.

Did some wiseguy move the sign into the women's locker room? No, the sign was not moved
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the place you put the cart designated as a space for parking a car? Anything to do with the first 3 letters of cart being car? Does the sign actually mention the word cart? carts? car? cars?

Were any words on the sign bolded for emphasis? or underlined? or in bigger font? or a different colour to other words? or highlighted in any other way?
Finno (Finno)
Username: Finno

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the signboard properly placed? As in, was it moved from its place, or left hanging, or some part of it covered by a poster/paper etc? Did you read the entire content written on the signboard or only a part of it?
Judyt (Judyt)
Username: Judyt

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your cart empty?
Was there more than one store at the parking lot?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)
Username: Noobdogg

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did it simply say "No shopping carts beyond this point."?
Bolapara (Bolapara)

Post Number: 478
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the place you put the cart designated as a space for parking a car? no Anything to do with the first 3 letters of cart being car?no Does the sign actually mention the word cart?no carts?no car? no cars?no

Were any words on the sign bolded for emphasis? no or underlined?no or in bigger font? no or a different colour to other words?no or highlighted in any other way?no

Was the signboard properly placed? Yes As in, was it moved from its place, or left hanging, or some part of it covered by a poster/paper etc? no Did you read the entire content written on the signboard or only a part of it? I read the entire content of the sign

Was your cart empty? no
Was there more than one store at the parking lot? no

Did it simply say "No shopping carts beyond this point."? No
Finno (Finno)
Username: Finno

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there any spelling mistake?
Bolapara (Bolapara)

Post Number: 508
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there any spelling mistake? no
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you intentionally take the sign quite literally? Where taking it less than literally would achieve the outcome of having the carts where the store wants them to be returned?

Did the sign actually have the word 'here' written on it? 'this sign'?

Was the store owner's and other patrons' anger directed at you for any reason relating to shopping carts? your interaction with your shopping cart? with other people's carts?
Bolapara (Bolapara)

Post Number: 511
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you intentionally take the sign quite literally? yes
Where taking it less than literally would achieve the outcome of having the carts where the store wants them to be returned? yes

Did the sign actually have the word 'here' written on it? 'this sign'? the word "here" is irrelevant. It could have been there though. There is wording that is much more relevant 'this sign'? Are you asking if I hung the shopping cart on the sign...No, I didn't

Was the store owner's and other patrons' anger directed at you for any reason relating to shopping carts? Just to where I returned it. The main thing is the wording of the sign your interaction with your shopping cart? with other people's carts?
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 368
Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the thing that you interpreted literally an alternate way of expressing the idea of "returning"? (for example, if the sign said "drop shopping carts off here", and you literally stood on top of the sign while lifting the cart and then let it fall to the ground)
Bolapara (Bolapara)

Post Number: 521
Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the thing that you interpreted literally an alternate way of expressing the idea of "returning"? (for example, if the sign said "drop shopping carts off here", and you literally stood on top of the sign while lifting the cart and then let it fall to the ground)no
Bolapara (Bolapara)

Post Number: 535
Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 5:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Edit: I noticed a mistake I made
The correct answer should have been

Was your cart empty? Yes, I had finished shopping and unloading my groceries
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 2232
Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the sign say "Please"? "Return"? "Carts"? "To"?
"This"? "Location"? "We"? "Are"? "Not"? "Liable"? "For"? "Any"? "Damages"? "Caused"? "By"? "Carts"?
Was the sign in the form of an imperative sentence? Did it use the active voice? (e.g., "Thou shalt return carts to the location where this sign is located.") The passive voice? ("Carts shall be returned by you to the location that is just below and to the left of the pole to which this message you are currently reading is so precisely attached.")

Did the sign's wording involve prepositions? Homonyms? Homographs? Ambiguous terms? Abstract nouns? Homophones? Idioms? Cliches? Symbolism? Metaphor? Simile? Irony? Rhetorical language? Understatement? Overstatement? What was the author's theme? Were there any misplaced or dangling modified? Misplaced participles? Latin abbreviations?
Bolapara (Bolapara)

Post Number: 536
Posted on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the sign say "Please"? "Return"? "Carts"? "To"?
"This"? "Location"? "We"? "Are"? "Not"? "Liable"? "For"? "Any"? "Damages"? "Caused"? "By"? "Carts"? no to all. The sign could have been surmised in two or three words. I will let you know if you hit on a word that could potentially be on the sign but does not need to be (ie "here")

Was the sign in the form of an imperative sentence? If the word "here" is included, then yes

Active/passive voice Irr, active voice is must likely for these signs though

Did the sign's wording involve prepositions? no Homonyms? yes Homographs? yes Homophones? no Idioms? yes cliches? Please define cliche, being as overly specific and redundant as possible Symbolism? Symbols are sometimes used, but that would have ruined this puzzle, so No Metaphor no simile? no irony no rhetorical language? no Understatement no Overstatement no what was the authors theme? what was not the author's theme Were there any misplaced or dangling modifed? misplaced or dangling modified what? misplaced particples? no latin abbreviations? no

*and to think I almost posted this puzzle in the chatroom because I thought it would be solved in one shot.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything about returning carts where you got them? or found them?
Bolapara (Bolapara)

Post Number: 540
Posted on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything about returning carts where you got them? or found them? no to both

this may be a bit surprising but reviewing doctappa's questions and answers may help you out quite a bit. And please doctapeppa don't ask any more like that...I failed high school english the year we had grammar
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 2239
Posted on Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I meant misplaced modifiers!
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 2240
Posted on Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A cliché (from French), or cliche, is a saying, expression, or idea which has been overused to the point of losing its original meaning, especially when at some earlier time it was considered distinctively meaningful or novel, rendering it a stereotype. The term is likely to be used in a negative context. It is frequently used in modern culture to reference an action or idea which is expected or predictable, based on a prior event. A cliché is also a term historically used in printing, for a printing plate cast from movable type. This is also called a stereotype. When letters were set one at a time, it made sense to cast a phrase used repeatedly as one single slug of metal. Despite publishers desire to use the accented form, the unaccented form is much more common in colloquial English. In French, cliche is...
1. First-person singular indicative present form of clicher.
2. Third-person singular indicative present form of clicher.
3. First-person singular subjunctive present form of clicher.
4. Third-person singular subjunctive present form of clicher.
5. Second-person singular imperative present form of clicher.

In English:
cliché (plural clichés)

1. Something, most often a phrase or expression, that is overused and has thus lost its original impact; a trite saying; a platitude.

Kidnapping the love interest during a film is a bit of a cliché.

Usage notes

* The spelling cliche is considered an acceptable alternative, whether or not é is available, as there is no other word in English with this spelling with which it can be confused. (Compare resume.)
* In environments (such as ASCII text) where é is unavailable, the spelling cliche' is sometimes used, the apostrophe representing the acute accent on the preceding letter. This is not, however, considered an acceptable alternative spelling.

In Dutch, cliché.

In Italian, cliché.

In French, cliché.

According to Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary:

quote:

Main Entry:cliché
Variant:also cliche
Function:noun
Etymology:French, literally, printer's stereotype, from past participle of clicher to stereotype, of imitative origin
Date:1892

1 : a trite phrase or expression; also : the idea expressed by it
2 : a hackneyed theme, characterization, or situation
3 : something (as a menu item) that has become overly familiar or commonplace
–cliché adjective

Bolapara (Bolapara)

Post Number: 542
Posted on Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll go with No on cliche and dangling modifiers. You have enough information now that you should be able that this should be an easy solve even if you are missing some relevant knowledge. Just remember, Doctapeppa holds the key of knowledge
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 2243
Posted on Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the sign put up by the management of the store? By some random person? The government? Was the correct place to return carts anywhere near where you returned your cart? Did the sign intend to direct shoppers to return their carts to a location? Or was it for some completely unrelated purpose? (e.g., "Four-wheeled conveyances parking only") Was the correct location to return shopping carts inside? Outside? In the parking lot?
Bolapara (Bolapara)

Post Number: 546
Posted on Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the sign put up by the management of the store? yes - or at least the store owner

By some random person? no

The government? no

Was the correct place to return carts anywhere near where you returned your cart? yes

Did the sign intend to direct shoppers to return their carts to a location? no
Or was it for some completely unrelated purpose? yes (e.g., "Four-wheeled conveyances parking only") no but OTRT, try to get closer than this

Was the correct location to return shopping carts inside? Outside? this one In the parking lot? yes
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 2249
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oooh, interesting...
Was the sign a warning sign, indicating a possible hazard? (example: "High Voltage") Was the sign a guide sign, indicating the location of something or the name of some place? (Example: Jacksonville 152 miles ahead) Was the sign a regulatory sign, communicating a rule, law, policy, or other command? (Littering Prohibited - $500 Minimum Fine) Did the sign pertain to parking? Operation of vehicles? Did it indicate that the store sells plastic bags for $0.02 each?
Bolapara (Bolapara)

Post Number: 548
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the sign a warning sign, indicating a possible hazard? (example: "High Voltage")yes

Was the sign a guide sign, indicating the location of something or the name of some place? (Example: Jacksonville 152 miles ahead) no

Was the sign a regulatory sign, communicating a rule, law, policy, or other command? (Littering Prohibited - $500 Minimum Fine) Yes if the word "here" is used, No if it isn't.

Did the sign pertain to parking? yes

Operation of vehicles? yes

Did it indicate that the store sells plastic bags for $0.02 each? no, bags are free at wal-mart

be careful of FA
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 2258
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was this sign located in the parking lot? If so, was it located at the proper location to return carts? At the location to which it indicated to return carts? At a parking spot?

The hazard that the sign indicated...
Specific to the parking lot? Inside the store? Off store property? Could this hazard cause physical injury? Death? Financial loss?
Bolapara (Bolapara)

Post Number: 555
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was this sign located in the parking lot? yes
If so, was it located at the proper location to return carts? no At the location to which it indicated to return carts? at the location to which what indicated to return carts? At a parking spot? yesish

The hazard that the sign indicated...
Specific to the parking lot? Inside the store? Off store property? Could this hazard cause physical injury? Death? Financial loss? TYPO There was no hazard
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 2262
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the sign located at the location to which the sign indicated to return carts? (although that, of course, was not the intention)
Bolapara (Bolapara)

Post Number: 561
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the sign located at the location to which the sign indicated to return carts? (although that, of course, was not the intention) you are confusing me. The sign in question, to which I obeyed as it told me to return my cart there, did not actually say to return my cart there. The sign was not located at the correct cart return area
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)
Username: Arek_fu

Post Number: 731
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You mentioned homographs. Is the homograph "store"?
Bolapara (Bolapara)

Post Number: 562
Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You mentioned homographs. Is the homograph "store"? No
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 2266
Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are confusing me. The sign in question that told you to return your cart there did not tell you to return your cart there? Then, perhaps, it said something that could be interpreted literally as meaning that Bolapara should return his cart to the location? Could Doctapeppa interpret the sign as meaning for Bolapara to return Bolapara's cart to the area that could be interpreted as being designated as the area being interpreted by the sign being interpreted as being designated?
Bolapara (Bolapara)

Post Number: 566
Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The sign in question that told you to return your cart there did not tell you to return your cart there? Correct, the signs intention was not to tell me to return my cart there

Then, perhaps, it said something that could be interpreted literally as meaning that Bolapara should return his cart to the location? Could Doctapeppa interpret the sign as meaning for Bolapara to return Bolapara's cart to the area that could be interpreted as being designated as the area being interpreted by the sign being interpreted as being designated? The sign could potentially be interpreted literally by anyone who read it. Some people would be more or less likely than others to interpret this sign literally

Remember Homonyms, homographs, and idioms are relevant to the language on the sign.
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 2275
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, did the sign say...
"Senior Parking"?
"Reserved Parking"?
"No Bicycles on Sidewalk"?
"Emergency Medical Services Parking"?
"Ten Minute Parking"?
"Head in Parking Only"?
"Compact Car Parking Only"?
"Manager Parking Only"?
"Company Vehicles Only"?
"Employee Parking Only"?
"Motorcycle Parking Only"?
"Maintenance Vehicle Parking Only"?
"Authorized Vehicles Only"?
"Reserved for Security"?
"No Stopping Except Police"?
"Do Not Block"?
"Tow Away Zone"?
"Park At Your Own Risk"?
"No Parking on Grass"?
"Fuel Efficient Vehicle Parking"?
"No Truck Parking"?
"No Parking Police Cars"?
"Side Lift Van Parking Only"?
Bolapara (Bolapara)

Post Number: 571
Posted on Friday, April 10, 2009 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Senior Parking"?
"Reserved Parking"?
"No Bicycles on Sidewalk"?
"Emergency Medical Services Parking"?
"Ten Minute Parking"?
"Head in Parking Only"?
"Compact Car Parking Only"?
"Manager Parking Only"?
"Company Vehicles Only"?
"Employee Parking Only"?
"Motorcycle Parking Only"?
"Maintenance Vehicle Parking Only"?
"Authorized Vehicles Only"?
"Reserved for Security"?
"No Stopping Except Police"?
"Do Not Block"?
"Tow Away Zone"?
"Park At Your Own Risk"?
"No Parking on Grass"?
"Fuel Efficient Vehicle Parking"?
"No Truck Parking"?
"No Parking Police Cars"?
"Side Lift Van Parking Only"?

None of the above. The word park/parking did appear on the sign
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 2296
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Parking Only Thing"?
Bolapara (Bolapara)

Post Number: 577
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Parking Only Thing"? Getting alot closer. But no the sign did not say "thing." It also did not say "cart." Now all you need to figure out is what did it say that could be misinterpreted as cart
Doctapeppa (Doctapeppa)

Post Number: 2301
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Four-wheeled vehicles with no engine parking only? Human-powered vehicle parking only? Shiny vehicle parking only? Vehicles that you stand behind and push parking only? Small vehicle parking only? Vehicles that bear the name of the store parking only?
Bolapara (Bolapara)

Post Number: 583
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 3:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Four-wheeled vehicles with no engine parking only? YES!!!, except it is just one word

Human-powered vehicle parking only? Shiny vehicle parking only? Vehicles that you stand behind and push parking only? Small vehicle parking only? Vehicles that bear the name of the store parking only? none of the above

****Spoiler*****

I'm going to give you the solve because you need some specialized regional knowledge, and with your question the "mistake" that was likely to get people onto this can no longer be trodden onto by someone who read through

Surprisingly even with the first questions asked in this puzzle, no one considered that there is more than one name for a shopping cart - at the very least I expected their to be a question about trolleys/trains after knew about homophones and the like. In this case the word you were looking for was "buggy." The area I grew up in had a large old order Amish population. They drive around in four-wheeled vehicles with no engines called buggies (powered by horses.) In this same area, we call shopping carts buggies. So you will see signs at the stores that the Amish shop at that say "Buggy parking."

Walmart has hitching posts, food and water troughs for the horses in these spaces. - in most cases it takes them over an hour, sometimes several to get from their house to the store, and not all sects are allowed to accept rides in cars. So in this puzzle, I took my buggy to the buggy parking space, and hitched it up to the post so that it could be fed and waterd - The other customers/manager were mad because the sign clearly meant AMISH buggy parking, not shopping cart parking, even though the wording on the sign, meant it was just as correct to park your buggy their when finished, as it was to park your Amish buggy there

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: