[Pikachizzle] Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - May 2009 » [Pikachizzle] « Previous Next »

Pikachizzle (Pikachizzle)
Username: Pikachizzle

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 - 3:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Because she was unable to read it, I became slightly richer.

EARLY SPOILERS E-MAIL PLEASE, I FEEL LIKE THIS WILL BE QUICK.

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excuse my lack of a title.
Absinthe (Absinthe)
Username: Absinthe

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 - 4:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did a bet somehow hinge on her being able to read it? Were you intentionally trying to trick her?

Is "it": a book? A note? A sign? A set of instructions? Was she unable to read it because: she was illiterate? Because it was in another language? In code? Because she literally couldn't see it?

Richer: obtained more money? Obtained some other form of tangible prosperity? Obtained metaphorical prosperity? Became a hypocrite?
Bolapara (Bolapara)
Username: Bolapara

Post Number: 725
Posted on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you get paid for reading it?

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did a bet somehow hinge on her being able to read it? Reword, please. Were you intentionally trying to trick her? Yes.

Is "it": a book? A note? A sign? A set of instructions? None of these. Was she unable to read it because: she was illiterate? Because it was in another language? In code? Because she literally couldn't see it? None of these.

Richer: obtained more money? This. Obtained some other form of tangible prosperity? Obtained metaphorical prosperity? Became a hypocrite?

Did you get paid for reading it? If she had been able to read it, she would have gotten the money that I got.

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This puzzle is suffering from a bit of neglect. I'd appreciate some questions, please. <3
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 989
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this a true story? If not, could it happen in real life? Are you H/A/M? Is she H/A/F?

Was a bet involved? Which, if any, of the following are relevant:

Location?
Time period?
Other people besides the two of you?

Does it matter how much richer you got? Were you already rich? Off her?

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this a true story? No, but... If not, could it happen in real life? Yes. Are you H/A/M? Yes to all. Is she H/A/F? Yes to all.

Was a bet involved? Yes. Which, if any, of the following are relevant:

Location?
Time period?
Other people besides the two of you?
None of these.

Does it matter how much richer you got? Nope. Were you already rich? Irrel. Off her? I got richer.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 994
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 4:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I mean, did she directly make you richer? For example, did she give you money?

Were you betting on sports? The outcome of an event? Over which of you was correct about some dispute? Did you learn the outcome of the bet immediately, or did you have to wait for it? If the latter, how long (seconds/minutes/hours/days/years/decades)?

Post Number: 64
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I mean, did she directly make you richer? For example, did she give you money? Yes. Like I said, it was a bet so she gave me the money.

Were you betting on sports? The outcome of an event? Over which of you was correct about some dispute? Did you learn the outcome of the bet immediately, or did you have to wait for it? If the latter, how long (seconds/minutes/hours/days/years/decades)?
None of these, and the outcome of the bet was learned as soon as she was unable to read it.

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To encourage people to ask more questions, I'll give a HINT.

Think about the situation. What do people commonly bet on? CHECK over everything you know so far, and maybe the answer will HIT ya'. ;D
Flemsneezy (Flemsneezy)
Username: Flemsneezy

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, May 23, 2009 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

event - Something that happens or is regarded as happening; an occurrence

With this definition of "event", are they still not betting on an event?

Post Number: 134
Posted on Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With this definition of "event", are they still not betting on an event? Since the answer to this may mislead you, I'll just tell you that they are betting on a poker game. VERY VERY short jump from here.
Flemsneezy (Flemsneezy)

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh well that works. I was thinking of a poker game but I thought of it as an event (the way the Olympics could be called a "World Event") so i asked that question to try and clarify. It all worked out anyway.

So she was unable to read her cards in the sense of she didn't know that her hand was higher than your hand, thus you won the money in the bet?

If she couldn't read hands at all it would be irrelevant if her hand was higher or lower, you would sill win every time because you can read hands and she can't.

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So she was unable to read her cards in the sense of she didn't know that her hand was higher than your hand, thus you won the money in the bet?

You are ridiculously close to the answer. I'm looking for an expression, though. It wasn't her cards that she was unable to read...
Anneja (Anneja)
Username: Anneja

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was it the other players face she was unable to read and because of that she lost the hand and he became slightly richer

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was it the other players face she was unable to read and because of that she lost the hand and he became slightly richer YES! You're 99.99% of the way there. I'm looking for a particular phrase, though.
Flemsneezy (Flemsneezy)

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Read your eyes?
Read your poker face?

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

****SPOILER****
Flemsneezy:
Read your eyes?
Read your poker face? Bingo!

I realize that 'Poker Face' can pertain to things outside of Poker, so sorry if you were mislead.

Significance of title: While playing Poker, it's important that one does not show any emotion, since it may give away the status of their hand. Therefore, I left my title blank to not give anything away.
Flemsneezy (Flemsneezy)

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shakes fist at your deep thought provoking title that provoked no thought. It was good i approve.

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks.
Also thanks to everyone who played!~
Absinthe (Absinthe)
Username: Absinthe

Post Number: 298
Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 5:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hah. Clever title.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: