[Quovynyte] Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2009 » [Quovynyte] « Previous Next »

Quovynyte (Quovynyte)
Username: Quovynyte

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He sat at his desk, looking at the special sales in catalogs with his special pet. It was only when it got dark that his pet disappeared.
I'm sorry, It's my first one and it's probably bad.
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm so sorry I forgot the title!
Indianforce (Indianforce)
Username: Indianforce

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome to the LTPF!

And don't worry , don't go thinking your puzzle is bad. Sometimes a puzzle that seems really easy at first, goes the distance.

He = Human? Adult? Male?
'His' pet = Mammal? Bird? Reptile? Insect? Amphibian?

His desk = Office desk? Desk at home? Someplace else?

Special sales = Is some special object being sold? Or the prices are so low that they're 'special'?

The pet is special because:

It's a rare breed or species?
It has some unusual bodily characteristic?
It has exceptional abilities?
Some emotional attachment? (maybe the pet had saved 'his' life once)
It cost a lot?
Or just an extraordinary amount of affection for the animal?

It was only when it got dark that his pet disappeared.
Was the pet supposed to disappear earlier? Did he want his pet to disappear? Did he expect it to? Is it relevant that the cue for dissappearing was darkness? Could it have been something else?

Any other people relevant?

Oh, and I had a wild theory - are magic shows relevant?
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome to the LTPF! Thanks!

And don't worry , don't go thinking your puzzle is bad. Sometimes a puzzle that seems really easy at first, goes the distance. I hope so!

He = Human? Adult? Male? Yes
'His' pet = Mammal? Bird? Reptile? Insect? Amphibian? None of them

His desk = Office desk? Desk at home? Someplace else? At home

Special sales = Is some special object being sold? Or the prices are so low that they're 'special'? Well no to both

The pet is special because:

It's a rare breed or species?
It has some unusual bodily characteristic?
It has exceptional abilities?
Some emotional attachment? (maybe the pet had saved 'his' life once)
It cost a lot?
Or just an extraordinary amount of affection for the animal?
None of them
It was only when it got dark that his pet disappeared.
Was the pet supposed to disappear earlier? Did he want his pet to disappear? Did he expect it to? Is it relevant that the cue for dissappearing was darkness? Could it have been something else?
No, No, He forgot, No, No
Any other people relevant? No

Oh, and I had a wild theory - are magic shows relevant? No

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A request - please put your answer next to the question it answers, and not all of them together at the end of a paragraph. Thanks.

Is his 'pet' a living organism? Or an object he is very fond of?

So, he expected his 'pet' to disappear, but forgot that it was going to?
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A request - please put your answer next to the question it answers, and not all of them together at the end of a paragraph. Thanks. Oh sorry!

Is his 'pet' a living organism? No Or an object he is very fond of? No

So, he expected his 'pet' to disappear, but forgot that it was going to? Yes
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think we need a clue:

This "pet" isn't really a pet. I could've called it a thing or an object, it doesn't really matter.

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he looking at the sales catalogs WITH his pet (using his pet) or is he just looking at the sales, and his 'pet' is beside him?

About the 'pet':
Solid? Liquid? Gas?

Size:

Large? (table)
Quite large? (computer)
Medium? (pile of books)
Small? (book)
Very small? (mobile phone)
Tiny? (Pen drive)
Or even smaller than that?

Is petvision, the eye-drop, relevant?
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he looking at the sales catalogs WITH his pet No (using his pet) or is he just looking at the sales, and his 'pet' is beside him? Yes

About the 'pet':
Solid? Yes Liquid? No Gas? No

Size: I don't know but...

Large? (table) No
Quite large? (computer) No
Medium? (pile of books) No
Small? (book) Not Likely
Very small? (mobile phone) Quite Possibly
Tiny? (Pen drive) Sorry, What's that?
Or even smaller than that? No

Is petvision, the eye-drop, relevant? No
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 199
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you use the word "pet" for a reason? or is it just a random stand-in word? Anything to do with the PET from some of the recent Megaman games? Is the "pet" an electronic device of some kind? Is it self-aware?

"...when it got dark...": When the sun went down? Was he outside? inside? Were the lights turned off? Is this 'it' = the 'pet' (i.e. "when the 'pet' shut off")?

When you say the "pet" disappeared, do you mean he simply couldn't see it anymore (e.g. it was still there, but there wasn't enough light)? Was it moved? by him? by someone else? Was it taken? stolen?
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you use the word "pet" for a reason? No or is it just a random stand-in word? Ye Anything to do with the PET from some of the recent Megaman games? No Is the "pet" an electronic device of some kind? Is it self-aware? No

"...when it got dark...": When the sun went down? Yes Was he outside? No inside? Yes Were the lights turned off? No Is this 'it' = the 'pet' (i.e. "when the 'pet' shut off")? Good idea but no

When you say the "pet" disappeared, do you mean he simply couldn't see it anymore (e.g. it was still there, but there wasn't enough light)? Well Yes except for the bit in the brackets Was it moved? No by him? No by someone else? No Was it taken? No stolen? No
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 288
Posted on Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When it got dark, did the pet change color? Size? Did the pet emit light itself at any point? I got confused by earlier questions, so: did the pet disappear because it got dark?

Is it relevant that he was reading sales as opposed to anything else? Were the catalogs selling these "pets"?
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When it got dark, did the pet change color? No-ish Size? Yes Did the pet emit light itself at any point? No I got confused by earlier questions, so: did the pet disappear because it got dark? No

Is it relevant that he was reading sales as opposed to anything else? Well you can figure out the answer without that fact but it helps you to understand it more. Were the catalogs selling these "pets"? No

Sorry if the answers are a bit inaccurate!
Markobr (Markobr)
Username: Markobr

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the pet a physical object at all? Or rather something like a computer program? Or its output? Something imaginary?
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the pet a physical object at all? Or rather something like a computer program? Or its output? Something imaginary? No, it's real all right!
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, July 03, 2009 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

***Another Clue?***

The man performed a certain action when it got dark.
Pikachizzle (Pikachizzle)
Username: Pikachizzle

Post Number: 388
Posted on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is his pet his shadow?
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 294
Posted on Monday, July 06, 2009 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooh, I bet that's it, Pika.

If not: did the man turn on a light? Turn off a light? Go to bed? Go out? Eat something?
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)

Post Number: 219
Posted on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well Gourami's close so...

**********SPOILER**********

His pet is an ice-cube (what a lonely life he must lead). And when it got dark the man turned on his lamp which got warm and the ice-cube melted. And there was a reason for him looking through a catalogue....but I forget.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: