[Yabblesmacker] Not a Shopoholic Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2009 » [Yabblesmacker] Not a Shopoholic « Previous Next »

Yabblesmacker (Yabblesmacker)
Username: Yabblesmacker

Post Number: 250
Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was bitterly disappointed when a certain chain of shops shut down, even though I had only ever shopped there once.
Martinfg (Martinfg)
Username: Martinfg

Post Number: 737
Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the chain relevant? Is it woolworth?

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the chain relevant? No, not really Is it woolworth? No but I was really upset when woolworths closed! For different reasons, obviously...
Logician (Logician)
Username: Logician

Post Number: 526
Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you have a personal connection to the chain? (e.g. family members worked there, very close friend became unemployed, etc.) Even if you didn't shop there often, did you work there?

Is it relevant when you shopped there, in relation to the chain closing down? Is it relevant why you were shopping there? What you bought? (Or that you didn't buy anything?)

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you have a personal connection to the chain? yes (e.g. family members worked there, very close friend became unemployed, etc.) but not these Even if you didn't shop there often, did you work there? no

Is it relevant when you shopped there, in relation to the chain closing down? Is it relevant why you were shopping there? What you bought? (Or that you didn't buy anything?) The fact that I shopped there once isn't relevant, only to make the point that I didn't shop there often. If I had never shopped there I would have had the same reaction.
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)
Username: Ohlala8

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you live near a store of the chain? Was it a local chain? Regional? National? International? Did you know anyone who worked there? Anyone who shopped there regularly? Did you really like the name of the chain (like I rarely shopped at Galyan's, but I was still peeved when they changed the name, because it reminded me of pirate ships)? Relevant what the shops sold?

Post Number: 253
Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you live near a store of the chain? no Was it a local chain? Regional? National? this I think International? Did you know anyone who worked there? no Anyone who shopped there regularly? yes but irr Did you really like the name of the chain irr (like I rarely shopped at Galyan's, but I was still peeved when they changed the name, because it reminded me of pirate ships)? Relevant what the shops sold? no
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to make sure -- this is a national chain in England?
Did you enter a contest there? Did you have a gift card that you didn't get a chance to spend? Was the chain supporting a cause you cared about? Did the shutdown mean that some other, larger chain was taking over? Was your disappointment largely on your own behalf? On behalf of someone you knew? Motivated by ideals? Were you disappointed because of a hope you had related to this chain, which was not fulfilled?
Sugarshane (Sugarshane)
Username: Sugarshane

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you order from this place online? Did your husband/bf work for this chain?

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to make sure -- this is a national chain in England? I think so- don't think the chain branched outside Britain. But you don't have to work out the chain to solve the puzzle.
Did you enter a contest there? no Did you have a gift card that you didn't get a chance to spend? no Was the chain supporting a cause you cared about? no Did the shutdown mean that some other, larger chain was taking over? no Was your disappointment largely on your own behalf? yes On behalf of someone you knew? not as much Motivated by ideals? no Were you disappointed because of a hope you had related to this chain, which was not fulfilled? possibly but don't need to explore
Did you order from this place online? no Did your husband/bf work for this chain? no
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)

Post Number: 186
Posted on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your disappointment related to money? the shops' product? your home? your possessions? entertainment? food? job/career? romance? relationships? some life event we need to figure out?

Post Number: 258
Posted on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your disappointment related to money? the shops' product? your home? your possessions? entertainment? food? job/career? romance? no to all these relationships? noish some life event we need to figure out? Not exactly a life event, more like a personal fact.
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)

Post Number: 188
Posted on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A personal fact... something you like? dislike? something that's important to you? your favorite of something? your attitude toward something? a pet peeve? something you fear? your background? something you want? something that turns you on? or off? an aspect of your personality? something in your past? a tendency you have?

Post Number: 260
Posted on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A personal fact... something you like? dislike? something that's important to you? your favorite of something? your attitude toward something? a pet peeve? something you fear? your background? mostly this something you want? something that turns you on? or off? an aspect of your personality? something in your past? a tendency you have? no to rest
Sugarshane (Sugarshane)

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were you in commericals for this chain? a mascot of somekind? had you ever gained finacially from this chain? did this chain sell something that you manufactured or created?

Post Number: 264
Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were you in commericals for this chain? a mascot of somekind? had you ever gained finacially from this chain? did this chain sell something that you manufactured or created? no to all I'm afraid
Alex319 (Alex319)
Username: Alex319

Post Number: 826
Posted on Friday, July 17, 2009 - 3:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you planning on shopping there in the future? Were you planning on going there in the future to do something other than shop?
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 3906
Posted on Friday, July 17, 2009 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was sorry to see Woolies go even though I hardly went there.

Anything to do with 'I'll end up working in Woolies' - rightly or wrongly it was always assumed to be a dead end job. Now that Woolies has gone, you don't have that as back up career choice?
Or, conversely, you can no longer prove to someone else that you didn't end up working there, seeing as it's not there any longer (so not working there is not proving anything). Does that make sense?

Post Number: 268
Posted on Friday, July 17, 2009 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you planning on shopping there in the future? no Were you planning on going there in the future to do something other than shop? no

I was sorry to see Woolies go even though I hardly went there. me too, but it's not Woolies.

Anything to do with 'I'll end up working in Woolies' - rightly or wrongly it was always assumed to be a dead end job. Now that Woolies has gone, you don't have that as back up career choice? no
Or, conversely, you can no longer prove to someone else that you didn't end up working there, seeing as it's not there any longer (so not working there is not proving anything). Does that make sense? It makes sense but nothing like this I'm afraid
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3908
Posted on Friday, July 17, 2009 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, missed the bit about it not being Woolies!

Barrats, Thomas Cook, Adams, JJ Jewellers, JJB (SportsShop), MadMax (PoundShop, Shoe Express

Any of these?

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, July 17, 2009 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Barrats, Thomas Cook, Adams, JJ Jewellers, JJB (SportsShop), MadMax (PoundShop, Shoe Express

Any of these? no, sorry! I'm happy to let you guess the shop but it probably still won't help you.
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, July 17, 2009 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So when you say your background is relevant, do you mean your racial/ethnic background? Your family roots? Your educational background? The specific area you come from?

Post Number: 270
Posted on Friday, July 17, 2009 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So when you say your background is relevant, do you mean your racial/ethnic background? Your family roots? this Your educational background? The specific area you come from?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3909
Posted on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the goods originally sold there of relevance?

Did you have somebody in your family who created goods for the store? Who had had an order from the store which would now go to waste?

Did the store offer an opportunity of some sort for you or somebody in your family?

Did it provide a local landmark for you? Did you always meet somebody there? Did it go down in your own history as being the place where ..... ? (e.g. I was stood up at the Talk of the Town - it was before mobile phones and I hung on for ages for my now husband to meet me, but he couldn't make it or let me know).

Post Number: 271
Posted on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the goods originally sold there of relevance? no, it was actually a department store.

Did you have somebody in your family who created goods for the store? no Who had had an order from the store which would now go to waste? no

Did the store offer an opportunity of some sort for you no or somebody in your family? noish, but this is getting closer

Did it provide a local landmark for you? no Did you always meet somebody there? no Did it go down in your own history as being the place where ..... ? no (e.g. I was stood up at the Talk of the Town - it was before mobile phones and I hung on for ages for my now husband to meet me, but he couldn't make it or let me know). Aw, glad that didn't seem to put you off though!
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3910
Posted on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So was it an immediate family member or friend who was inconvenienced by the store's closing?
Did they want to work there? Perhaps a Saturday job?
Did they then take a job elsewhere that you wanted?
Was it a boyfriend who is the mystery somebody?
By losing his job, or not getting a job there in the first place, did it mean he didn't have enough money to take you out?

Post Number: 272
Posted on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So was it an immediate family member or friend who was inconvenienced by the store's closing? no
Did they want to work there? no Perhaps a Saturday job?
Did they then take a job elsewhere that you wanted? no
Was it a boyfriend who is the mystery somebody? no, but you are right about there being a mystery somebody!
By losing his job, or not getting a job there in the first place, did it mean he didn't have enough money to take you out?
Sugarshane (Sugarshane)

Post Number: 144
Posted on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were you a mystery shopper for this chain?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3911
Posted on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So was it an immediate family member or friend who was inconvenienced by the store's closing?
Did they want to work there? Perhaps a Saturday job?
Did they then take a job elsewhere that you wanted?
Was it a boyfriend who is the mystery somebody?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3912
Posted on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, just noticed that my questions got reposted. Don't overlook Sugarshane's question as a result of this.

Post Number: 273
Posted on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were you a mystery shopper for this chain? no. Not such a literal interpretation of the 'mystery somebody'! All I mean is that there is another relevant 'character' in the puzzle.
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3915
Posted on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there something about the window displays that appealed? The architecture?
The mystery somebody - a living relative? A past relative? A friend? A teacher? An employee? A neighbour? Somebody you read about in a newspaper? A local dignitary? A national bigwig?

Post Number: 277
Posted on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there something about the window displays that appealed? no The architecture? no
The mystery somebody - a living relative? A past relative? yes! A friend? A teacher? An employee? A neighbour? Somebody you read about in a newspaper? A local dignitary? A national bigwig?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3918
Posted on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had this relative founded the place? Worked there? Made a name for themselves there? Talked fondly of it?
But you say earlier that the disappointment was mainly on your own behalf. Did you want to emulate them in any way?

Post Number: 279
Posted on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had this relative founded the place? Yes!

*****SPOILER!*****

Did anyone (mainly talking to the Brits here) ever shop at Allders? (link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allders). Well, I am the great great great granddaughter of Joshua Allder, who founded the store in 1862. I have only ever shopped there once, mainly because I never lived near one. But whenever anyone mentioned that they had shopped there, or was carrying an Allders bag, I could recite this interesting fact. But alas, now that it has closed, less and less people are mentioning it or carrying the bags! And future generations won't have even heard of it! When I say to my future children "your great great great great grandfather founded Allders" they will say "What are you talking about?!"

Thanks to everyone who played, especially Lynne who cracked it. Please check out my soon-to-come puzzle!
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 3919
Posted on Monday, July 20, 2009 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How interesting. I've certainly heard of the name and had to think whether I have indeed shopped there, but looking at the locations I realise that I haven't. I have worked in retail, starting in Harrods and currently working in village shops (much more preferable nowadays) and would be proud to have such an illustrious ancestor.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: