{Gourami} The Seven Deadly Sins Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2009 » {Gourami} The Seven Deadly Sins « Previous Next »

Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 401
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why did so many pirates wear eyepatches?

Note: this is an honest and straightforward question, and the answer, as far as I know, is true. If you happen to know, please don't give it away!
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 496
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any work of art relevant?

Is the puzzle statement true? Ie. do you really want us to find out why pirates wore eyepatches? And do you really mean the note in italics?
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The joke is that they had an itch and forgot which hand had the hook...
but I'm guessing that's not it since not that many pirates actually had hooks. Correct?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 403
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alhucema (Alhucema)

Any work of art relevant? No.

Is the puzzle statement true? Ie. do you really want us to find out why pirates wore eyepatches? Yes. And do you really mean the note in italics? I do indeed.

Noel (Noel)

The joke is that they had an itch and forgot which hand had the hook...
but I'm guessing that's not it since not that many pirates actually had hooks. Correct? Correct. Funny though.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 510
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are any/all of the seven deadly sins relevant?

If so, is the relevant one:

-lust?
- gluttony?
-greed?
- sloth
-wrath?
- envy?
- pride?

other?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is injury relevant? Sunshine? Other light sources?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 406
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alhucema (Alhucema)

Are any/all of the seven deadly sins relevant? No. Just a good pirate song.

If so, is the relevant one:

-lust?
- gluttony?
-greed? This...
- sloth
-wrath? and this are vaguely related, but might not help you.
- envy?
- pride?

other?

Noel (Noel)

Is injury relevant? No. Sunshine? Yes! Other light sources? No.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 518
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sunglasses relevant?

Did they actually wear patches only if their eyes were damaged? Or did they wear them on good eyes as well?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 410
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alhucema (Alhucema)

Sunglasses relevant? No.

Did they actually wear patches only if their eyes were damaged? No. Or did they wear them on good eyes as well? YES.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I realized that I've heard this before, so I'm bowing out. Good idea for a puzzle.
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 415
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Noel.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 521
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To protect them from sunshine? Perhaps to give one eye a little rest while he was looking with the other?

Would they wear the patch always on the same eye?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 417
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alhucema (Alhucema)

To protect them from sunshine? Yesish, explore. Perhaps to give one eye a little rest while he was looking with the other? Noish.

Would they wear the patch always on the same eye? No.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Username: Ixoye724

Post Number: 2016
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This really is a great idea for a puzzle, truly educational! I don't see a connection yet with the title of the puzzle, so it will be interesting to see if that emerges during the questioning.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 523
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So they would wear the patch alternatively on both eyes?

Three-dimensional vision relevant?

Were the patches transparent?

Were they worn to protect the eye(s)?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 419
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

This really is a great idea for a puzzle, truly educational! I'm glad other people have heard it, because I wasn't sure if it was true. I don't see a connection yet with the title of the puzzle, so it will be interesting to see if that emerges during the questioning. No real connection, just the title of a great song about pirates.

Alhucema (Alhucema)

So they would wear the patch alternatively on both eyes? At certain times, yes.

Three-dimensional vision relevant? No.

Were the patches transparent? No.

Were they worn to protect the eye(s)? Not really.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 525
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the pirates wearing the patches for the effect the patches were likely to cause
- on themselves
- on other people

Was the purpose they were wearing them real? Imaginary? A superstition?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 422
Posted on Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alhucema (Alhucema)

Were the pirates wearing the patches for the effect the patches were likely to cause
- on themselves This.
- on other people

Was the purpose they were wearing them real? Yes. Imaginary? A superstition? No.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 531
Posted on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they want to protect themselves?

Would it work on land as well (as opposed ot the sea?) Would it work as well on me? You?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 423
Posted on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alhucema (Alhucema)

Did they want to protect themselves? Yope.

Would it work on land as well (as opposed ot the sea?) No. Would it work as well on me? You? If we were in their situation, yes.
Martinfg (Martinfg)
Username: Martinfg

Post Number: 794
Posted on Friday, August 14, 2009 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it work on land as well (as opposed ot the sea?) No. Are you sure it would not work on land in similar circumatances?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 551
Posted on Friday, August 14, 2009 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sun reflection on water relevant?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 428
Posted on Friday, August 14, 2009 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Martinfg (Martinfg)

Would it work on land as well (as opposed ot the sea?) No. Are you sure it would not work on land in similar circumatances? Similar circumstances would not occur on land. It could be useful for the same reason on land, yes, but probably less often.

Alhucema (Alhucema)

Sun reflection on water relevant? No.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 562
Posted on Friday, August 14, 2009 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they assumed to be IN water at any relevant point of time?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 430
Posted on Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alhucema (Alhucema)

Are they assumed to be IN water at any relevant point of time? Nope.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 567
Posted on Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are any characteristics of water relevant? The fact they are afloat?

Would it be similarly useful in the open sea as close to land?

Would it be useful just for pirates? Or for ordinary sailors, too?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 432
Posted on Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alhucema (Alhucema)

Are any characteristics of water relevant? No. The fact they are afloat? Noish.

Would it be similarly useful in the open sea as close to land? Yes.

Would it be useful just for pirates? Especially for them. Or for ordinary sailors, too? It might be helpful, but not as crucial.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 580
Posted on Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They wanted to yopishly protect themselves from:
A natural phenomenon?
People?
Animals?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 435
Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alhucema (Alhucema)

They wanted to yopishly protect themselves from:
A natural phenomenon?
People? This, though "natural phenomenon is more directly related to the eyepatches.
Animals?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 439
Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

**********CLARIFICATION

Thank you, Dropofahat, for the e-mail. I see the confusion now.

For the question:

Would it work on land as well (as opposed ot the sea?) No.

The mechanism being employed is not dependant on being at sea rather than on land. It is simply that pirates would only use eyepatches for this purpose on the sea; there wouldn't be cause to use them (except under very unusual circumstances) on land.
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 418
Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have something to do with the glare of the sun reflecting off the water?

Maybe (just a guess) they would cover one eye with a patch while looking at a bright spot of water to prevent the pupil in that eye from constricting? thereby ensuring that they could switch to that eye if they had to suddenly look at something in the shade?
Mimino (Mimino)
Username: Mimino

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did only pirates do this? or more or less all sailors? was the eyepatch of thin cloth? so that it did not block vision completely but filtered out the very bright light? so it became easier to watch the horizon? and to locate the sun (when using a sextant)?
Did they wear the eyepatch alternatively on both eyes? was the reason simply to protect the eyes from the sunlight? (I've heard once that before the invention of sunglasses many sailors eventually got blind just from being exposed to tropical sunlight for many years.)
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 500
Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Biograd (Biograd)

Does it have something to do with the glare of the sun reflecting off the water? Not specifically.

Maybe (just a guess) they would cover one eye with a patch while looking at a bright spot of water to prevent the pupil in that eye from constricting? Not water specifically, but yes. thereby ensuring that they could switch to that eye if they had to suddenly look at something in the shade? Yes! And when would they do this?

Mimino (Mimino)

Did only pirates do this? I'm not sure. or more or less all sailors? For other sailors it wouldn't be such a necessity. was the eyepatch of thin cloth? No. so that it did not block vision completely but filtered out the very bright light? so it became easier to watch the horizon? and to locate the sun (when using a sextant)? No to rest.

Did they wear the eyepatch alternatively on both eyes? At times, yes. was the reason simply to protect the eyes from the sunlight? Yope.(I've heard once that before the invention of sunglasses many sailors eventually got blind just from being exposed to tropical sunlight for many years.)
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)
Username: Cupofsun

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 3:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they wear the eyepatches all the time?

Do they do this to help them see differently/better?

To help them see distance better?

Does it have to do with any other people?

Does it relate not to their eyepatches, but to their eyes adjusting to light?

How long it takes?

Back and forth between light and dark?

Day and night?

Above deck and below deck?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 505
Posted on Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Do they wear the eyepatches all the time? Not necessarily.

Do they do this to help them see differently/better? Yes.

To help them see distance better? No.

Does it have to do with any other people? Yesish.

Does it relate not to their eyepatches, but to their eyes adjusting to light? Yes.

How long it takes? Yes.

Back and forth between light and dark? Yes!

Day and night?

Above deck and below deck? This!
Now all you need is how it works/why it's important for them.
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 4:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I'm assuming (this is usually a mistake in these things!) they use it to adjust between above and below deck by switching which eye it's on, it that correct?

Is it so they can see land?
Navigate correctly?
People?
Enemies?
Animals?
Is it so they can shoot their guns with good aim?
Shooting birds?
Shooting at other pirates/people?
Any other kind of attacking/pillaging!?

Arggggg, I guess I'll have to wait another day for me ansrrr's!
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 516
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

So I'm assuming (this is usually a mistake in these things!) they use it to adjust between above and below deck by switching which eye it's on, it that correct? Yes!

Is it so they can see land?
Navigate correctly?
People? Yes...
Enemies?
Animals?
Is it so they can shoot their guns with good aim?
Shooting birds?
Shooting at other pirates/people?
Any other kind of attacking/pillaging Definitely close enough for a spoilarrrr!!?

Arggggg, I guess I'll have to wait another day for me ansrrr's! Aye, I guess I was earrrrrly.

*********SPOILARRRRRR

Pirates would cover one eye so that that pupil would dilate completely, adjusting to low light. In other words, that eye would have perfect night vision. When attacking another ship, pirates would often have to go directly from the bright sunlight to the darkness below deck. While making this transition, they would switch which eye the eyepatch was on. This way, they didn't have to wait the full minute before their eyes adjusted to the dim light; if they did, someone could easily attack and kill them during this minute, when they would be practically blind.
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Awesome puzzle, I always dig yours! And also, nice title with your other puzzle "paperback writer" starring "Paul", I thought that was a nice touch. Haha. Check out mine if you get a chance called "It's good to be back!" I have been away from the forum for a few years and it certainly is good to be back! =)
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 522
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you! All my puzzles are named after song lyrics, and I try to have the character names reflect 'em. Yours looks like a challenge; I'll do my best.
Martinfg (Martinfg)
Username: Martinfg

Post Number: 796
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Soldiers use a similar principal on check points. They close one eye as a car headlights approach to preserve their night vision.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: