/Alhucema/ Robbie?!? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2009 » /Alhucema/ Robbie?!? « Previous Next »

Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 810
Posted on Monday, August 31, 2009 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to have an induced scrund. I was gloating when I learned it was just a scrund.

What was the scrund about?
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 417
Posted on Monday, August 31, 2009 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How is an induced scrund different from a normal scrund? I don't recall having that defined. Does it mean it was the result of your own inference?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 813
Posted on Monday, August 31, 2009 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How is an induced scrund different from a normal scrund? I don't recall having that defined. Does it mean it was the result of your own inference? Perhaps it hasn't been defined yet and I am the first one to coin a new sub-term ;-)). What I mean is that I did not infer the scrund myself but somebody made me believe it was true
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 331
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you gloating because you found out it was a scrund? Or were you gloating about something else?

If the first, were you gloating because you had originally been right (before it was "induced")? Or for another reason?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 815
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you gloating because you found out it was a scrund? Or were you gloating about something else? It was nice to find out it was a scrund for a reason which was related to the persons who caused it

If the first, were you gloating because you had originally been right (before it was "induced")I wasn't originally right because I had never realized the scrund could be a scrund - I just did not have any reason not to believe it? Or for another reason? This
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)
Username: Dropofahat

Post Number: 327
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the title relevant?

If it is - I'm going to go out on a limb here... is the TV show "Lost in Space" relevant? Is the movie "Forbidden Planet" relevant?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 820
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the title relevant? Yes

If it is - I'm going to go out on a limb here... is the TV show "Lost in Space" relevant? Is the movie "Forbidden Planet" relevant? but this is a wrong track
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 330
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, darn it, I knew it was a long shot...

So it involves someone (or something) named Robbie? Is Robbie H/A/M? Is he real? Fictional? Famous? Will identifying him (if it's possible) help figure out the scrund?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 824
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, darn it, I knew it was a long shot...

So it involves someone (or something) named Robbie? Yes Is Robbie H/A/M? Yes to all Is he real? Yes Fictional? Famous?Yes Will identifying him (if it's possible) Yes, it is possible help figure out the scrund? I can't honestly tell yes - he is only an example of what the scrund was about - but it can certainly show you the right track
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 331
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm going to go out on another limb... is it Robbie Robertson of "The Band"? If so, does the scrund involve his singing voice?

If not...

Is he a singer? Musician?
Actor? Movie star?
If not, is he an entertainer of some kind?
TV?
Radio?
Writer?
Dancer?

If not entertainer...
Politician?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 825
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm going to go out on another limb... is it Robbie Robertson of "The Band"? If so, does the scrund involve his singing voice? 'fraid not

If not...

Is he a singer? Musician?
Actor? Movie star?
If not, is he an entertainer of some kind?
TV?
Radio?
Writer? Yesish; no to the rest
Dancer?

If not entertainer...
Politician?
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 332
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Darn it! I have to stop going out on limbs, they keep breaking under me...

Journalist?
Publisher?
Poet? (Robert Frost?)
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 826
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Darn it! I have to stop going out on limbs, they keep breaking under me... On the contrary - you almost have him ;-)) - see below

Journalist?
Publisher?
Poet? Yes (Robert Frost?) but not this one (although I love him very much as well)
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 333
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm... I don't know too many poets, and don't want to resort to independent research, so...

Was the scrund about him himself? His personal life? His poetry? How he wrote it? What his poetry was about? A particular poem?
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 334
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert Burns? (I swear, I thought of him, didn't look up a thing...) Didn't he write the line about "the best laid plans of mice and men"? Is that line relevant?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 827
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm... I don't know too many poets, and don't want to resort to independent research, so...

Was the scrund about him himself? Yesish; he was just an example of a group the scrund was about His personal life? Yes His poetry? Yes How he wrote it? No What his poetry was about? Yes A particular poem? The scrund was not about a particular poem but a particular poem helped me to get rid of it

Robert Burns? (I swear, I thought of him, didn't look up a thing...) Yes, it was him; and if you want to look up anything, I won't mind Didn't he write the line about "the best laid plans of mice and men"? Yes indeed (although it was "schemes" not "plans") Is that line relevant? No
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 336
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess I had a scrund about that line...
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 829
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess I had a scrund about that line... :-))
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 338
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wait, what? You said it wasn't relevant...
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 830
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wait, what? You said it wasn't relevant... Yes, and it still holds - is there something that makes you think I've changed my mind?
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 341
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know, I got confused, for a moment I thought you were saying you also had a scrund about that line, sorry...
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 832
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know, I got confused, for a moment I thought you were saying you also had a scrund about that line, sorry... I was just smiling as I understood you had a scrund about the schemes/plans line and have just got rid of it. Did not mean it to confuse you and if I did, I apologize :-))
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 342
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, i did it to myself...

Did you assume something personal about him based on his poetry that turned out not be true?
Ferrets101 (Ferrets101)
Username: Ferrets101

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Novel "Of Mice and Men" relevant?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 833
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you assume something personal about him Yes, and about others as well based on his poetry Yope that turned out not be true Yes?

Novel "Of Mice and Men" relevant? No
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 4056
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spiders relevant?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 836
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spiders relevant? No, why?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 4059
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a scrund I had... :P
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 839
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

;-)) About Bruce?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 4060
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep, guilty as charged.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 842
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aye, that was Barton :-))
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 4064
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know...
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 845
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just couldn't resist the opportunity to brag that I know it too, as this does not happen too often to me :-))
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 4067
Posted on Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

:-)
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Based on one of his songs (or poems set to music)? Anything to do with the fact that much of Burns' writing was reworking traditional material and he only wrote parts of some songs commonly attributed to him? Auld Lang Syne and McPherson's Rant are both good examples.

Did you assume something about Burns' life? About his family? About Scots?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 846
Posted on Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Based on one of his songs (or poems set to music)It was on the basis of one his poem set to music I realized that the scrund was a scrund? Anything to do with the fact that much of Burns' writing was reworking traditional material and he only wrote parts of some songs commonly attributed to him? No Auld Lang Syne and McPherson's Rant are both good examples.

Did you assume something about Burns' life? Yes About his family? No About Scots? No
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 4069
Posted on Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Auld Lang Syne relevant?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 849
Posted on Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Auld Lang Syne relevant? No
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 2081
Posted on Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this a misheard lyric type of scrund?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 850
Posted on Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this a misheard lyric type of scrund? No
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the scrund is not caused by the song? The song helped you realize that you had a scrund?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 859
Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the scrund is not caused by the song? Correct The song helped you realize that you had a scrund? Exactly so

By the way, although I cannot know for sure, I am convinced most of us had a similar scrund during some time in our lives, and I'd bet some still have it
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 870
Posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I want to get it moving, so I will post a short recap:

I used to have a scrund about a group of people. Someone made me believe it was true and it never came across my mind to question it. When I've read a certain poem by Robert Burns, I realized that it was just a scrund, and was positively gloating about it. It had something to do both with his life and his poetry.

Over to you.
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 371
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the peom/song "Scots Wha Hae"?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 1358
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rantin' Rovin' Robin? (Which is about Burns himself, and is one of my personal favorite songs.) A Man's a Man (which drew on his political views)? Do we need to get the specific poem? Is it a well-known one? Is it one he wrote entirely himself, or one which other writers or the folk tradition have added to?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 872
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the peom/song "Scots Wha Hae"? No

Rantin' Rovin' Robin? (Which is about Burns himself, and is one of my personal favorite songs.) No A Man's a Man (which drew on his political views)? No Do we need to get the specific poem? Not necessarily - just the general notion would do as well - but it would be very helpful if you do Is it a well-known one? Not really, no Is it one he wrote entirely himself, or one which other writers or the folk tradition have added to? Just himself
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 379
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your scrund about...
...Scottish people? Was it a stereotype?
...poets in general?

If neither of the above...
The group of people your scrund was about, what they have in common, is it...
...something they all do?
...background or heritage?
...something biological?
...a physical feature?
...cultural? Social?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 885
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your scrund about...
...Scottish people? Was it a stereotype? No
...poets in general? Yesish

If neither of the above...
The group of people your scrund was about, what they have in common, is it...
...something they all do? The other way round
...background or heritage?
...something biological? Yesish
...a physical feature?
...cultural? Social? Yesish to both

Good questions, as usual ;-))
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 374
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sexual orientation? Dating life? Marriage? Having children?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 886
Posted on Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sexual orientation? Dating life? This-ish Marriage? Having children?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the poem about love? Women?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 895
Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the poem about love? Women? Yes to both
Yabblesmacker (Yabblesmacker)
Username: Yabblesmacker

Post Number: 321
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Love is Like a Red, Red Rose?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 910
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Love is Like a Red, Red Rose? No
Yabblesmacker (Yabblesmacker)
Username: Yabblesmacker

Post Number: 323
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Erm that's the only one I knew off the top of my head, but looking up a few-

Jean
O Wert Thou in the Cauld Blast
The Banks Of Bonnie Doon
Love For Love

Any of these?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 913
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Erm that's the only one I knew off the top of my head, but looking up a few-

Jean
O Wert Thou in the Cauld Blast
The Banks Of Bonnie Doon
Love For Love

Any of these? No, I am afraid. There is something special about the poem I am referring to, and it is not a very well known one. Although it will certainly help if you knew which one it was, I think it would perhaps be quicker to focus on the general idea.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 376
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the scrund about infidelity? Monogamy? Natural abilities with women? Physical attractiveness (of the poet)? Physical attractiveness (of his love interest)? The reasons why the poet is attracted to someone? The attractiveness of a poet's talents? Romance? Courtship?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 917
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the scrund about infidelity? No but OTRT Monogamy? No but OTRT Natural abilities with women? You can call it this, I suppose :-)) Physical attractiveness (of the poet)? Physical attractiveness (of his love interest)? The reasons why the poet is attracted to someone? Yesish The attractiveness of a poet's talents? In a way... yes Romance? Sort of Courtship? Sort of
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 381
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clarification: "...something they all do? The other way round" -- do you mean the scrund is about something poets DON'T do?

If so, is the scrund that you thought they didn't something, when they actually do it? Or that you thought they all did something that they don't actually do? Or that you thought they all did something that really only some do?

Or does "other way round" mean something else?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 918
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clarification: "...something they all do? The other way round" -- do you mean the scrund is about something poets DON'T do? Yes

If so, is the scrund that you thought they didn't something, when they actually do it? Yes! Or that you thought they all did something that they don't actually do? Or that you thought they all did something that really only some do? No to the rest

Or does "other way round" mean something else? No, you got it correct - see above
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 384
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is sex (or lack thereof) directly relevant?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 920
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is sex (or lack thereof) directly relevant? Yes indeed :-))
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 387
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Poets don't have sex? Don't remain loyal to a single partner? Don't cheat? Don't feel bad about cheating? Don't enjoy sex? Don't go for long periods of time without sex? Don't equate sex with love?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 922
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Poets don't have sex? Sort-ish of Don't remain loyal to a single partner? Don't cheat? Don't feel bad about cheating? Don't enjoy sex? But this is much closer Don't go for long periods of time without sex? Don't equate sex with love?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 388
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a comparison? Something along the lines of poets would rather do X than have sex?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 924
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a comparison? Something along the lines of poets would rather do X than have sex? Noish; I'd say my scrund was simpler than that; and don't forget it was induced :-))
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 399
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The somebody who made you believe it was true...an actual person you know? An author? Someone in a movie? Someone on TV? A poet? Does it matter?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 928
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The somebody who made you believe it was true...an actual person you know? Yes - in fact, there was a group of such people, and there are much more actual people I don't know; it is quite likely you have met some of them I haven't An author? Someone in a movie? Someone on TV? A poet? No to the rest Does it matter? Quite so, yes; they were the reason why I was gloating and not just, say, amused
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 400
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the group of people identified/unified by a demographic characteristic? A hobby? An organization? An occupation?

Are you a poet? Do you identify in some relevant way with poets?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 930
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the group of people identified/unified by a demographic characteristic? A hobby? An organization? This-ish An occupation? And this

Are you a poet? A wannabe one, but irrelevant :-)) Do you identify in some relevant way with poets? No
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 401
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All I keep thinking is athlete (thinking about the high school football guys picking on the artsy guys), but you said not a hobby and not someone on TV. So it's not athlete, right?

If not [LTPF list of occupation categories]?

Would all poets be considered part of the group? Some poets? No poets?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 931
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All I keep thinking is athlete (thinking about the high school football guys picking on the artsy guys), but you said not a hobby and not someone on TV. So it's not athlete, right? Right

If not [LTPF list of occupation categories]? Teachers

Would all poets be considered part of the group? No Some poets? Yes No poets?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 403
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Teachers of a specific age group? High school? College? (I assume it's nothing younger if they're talking about sex, but is it necessarily either?)
Of a specific subject? Math? Science? English? Social Studies?
Or all teachers?

Do all teachers of the appropriate subject and age group teach this? Is it part of state or national education standards / guidelines / curricula? Is it just a commonly held belief among many teachers?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 932
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Teachers of a specific age group? High school? This College? And this (I assume it's nothing younger And you assume correctly if they're talking about sex I didn't say that they were talking about sex, did I?, but is it necessarily either?)
Of a specific subject? Math? Science? English? This, and another subject as well you have not named Social Studies? No to rest
Or all teachers? No

Do all teachers of the appropriate subject and age group teach this If you are referring to the scrund, it's completely up to them; I'd say that many of them do? Is it part of state or national education standards / guidelines / curricula Difficult to answer. I'd say the standards etc. rather support that the scrund is taught to pupils; however, it's up to the teachers and they would not commit any breach of the curriculum if they do NOT teach the scrund. ? Is it just a commonly held belief among many teachers This is very close, I think?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 405
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Subject: Foreign language? Health? Drama? Art? Music?

Hmm, so they led you to think something about the sex lives of poets without actually mentioning sex? Interesting.
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 384
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you told that poets were generally... loners? ..."Stuffy"? ...pure? ...studious? ...nerdy?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 934
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Subject: Foreign language? Health? Drama? Art? Music? I realise my previous answer may have been a bit misleading; the other subject was literature, which can be considered a part of English and/or any other language

Hmm, so they led you to think something about the sex lives of poets without actually mentioning sex? Yes, this was exactly what they did. Interesting. Yes indeed, but true :-)). What did your teachers teach you about sex lives of poets?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 409
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What did your teachers teach you about sex lives of poets? absolutely nothing =)

I think you missed drop's questions

Common folklore says that poets are romantics, seducers, womanizers, ladies men, etc. Or else that they're homosexual. Your scrund seems to be the opposite of the first, and you said the second was irrelevant. So I'm very intrigued by what your teachers could have told you.

Unless...Is the concept of unrequited love relevant? Broken hearts?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 941
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What did your teachers teach you about sex lives of poets? absolutely nothing =) That's the point :-))

I think you missed drop's questions Here they go :-))

Were you told rather "made believe" - nobody told this expressly that poets were generally... loners? ..."Stuffy"? Yes ...pure? This is closest...studious? Sort of ...nerdy? Yes

Common folklore says that poets are romantics, seducers, womanizers, ladies men, etc. Or else that they're homosexual. Your scrund seems to be the opposite of the first That's correct, and you said the second was irrelevant And this is correct too.. So I'm very intrigued by what your teachers could have told you. Basically the same they told you :-))

Unless...Is the concept of unrequited love relevant? Broken hearts? Neither

Keep in mind we are talking about a group of poets, not poets in general.
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 394
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Keep in mind we are talking about a group of poets, not poets in general." Scottish poets?
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 395
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you told they were virgins?
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 396
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you told they were very religious? Chaste? Priest-like?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 944
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Keep in mind we are talking about a group of poets, not poets in general." Scottish poets? No, a more general category.

Were you told they were virgins? Almost

Were you told they were very religious? No Chaste? Very much so Priest-like? Almost saint-like :-))

All the above with the reservation no one actually SAID it directly
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 420
Posted on Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have to do with a label that was applied to a certain group of poets or a certain poetic movement in school? Something like the Romantics or Postmodernists (but neither of those, of course)?

Were they described as Holy?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 958
Posted on Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have to do with a label that was applied to a certain group of poets Yes or a certain poetic movement No in school? Something like the Romantics or Postmodernists (but neither of those, of course)? But it was much more general

Were they described as Holy? No
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 400
Posted on Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Male poets?

Were you led to believe they were asexual? Celibate?

Did you misunderstand/misinterpret something that was said about them?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 960
Posted on Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Male poets? No

Were you led to believe they were asexual? Yes! Celibate? Almost

Did you misunderstand/misinterpret something that was said about them? I think not. I'd rather say that what was said about them was (perhaps subconsciously) meant to make us believe they were asexual
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 402
Posted on Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you told that they were never married? Never had girlfriends? or boyfriends? never had children? Never had a date? never had a romantic encounter?
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 403
Posted on Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the poem/song that got rid of the scrund a love poem to one of RB's girlfriends?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 962
Posted on Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you told that they were never married? Never had girlfriends? or boyfriends? never had children? Never had a date? Nothing of the abovenever had a romantic encounter? This is quite close. I think you've already got the general notion - that the poets of the group in question were asexual, dull, boring creatures

Was the poem/song that got rid of the scrund a love poem to one of RB's girlfriends? It is not dedicated to any specific RB's girlfriend. And I am not sure whether I would call it a love poem, although it definitely is about love.

By the way, there are many more RB's poems which would have the same effect as the one I am referring to.
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 404
Posted on Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there more to be found out about how you got the scrund? Are we to determine exactly what you were told? Is it a play on words?

Does the poem/song mention a specific word or phrase that debunked the scrund? Or is it a general feeling in the poem/song?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 964
Posted on Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there more to be found out about how you got the scrund? Possibly not. If you can summarize how you think I've got it, I'll tell you whether you're right, or whether there is something more to be found out Are we to determine exactly what you were told? No Is it a play on words? No

Does the poem/song mention a specific word or phrase that debunked the scrund? Yes Or is it a general feeling in the poem/song? And definitely this as well
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 405
Posted on Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hm, wait, we still don't know the group of poets, do we...? Do I need to know anything specific about Burns, or poets like him, to be able to identify the group?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 965
Posted on Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hm, wait, we still don't know the group of poets, do we...? That's true Do I need to know anything specific about Burns, or poets like him, to be able to identify the group? Not really, just the general notion. It might help to know that this group does not include just poets, but prose-writers and playwrights as well.
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 406
Posted on Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they all... male? Scottish? From that time period? Do they know each other?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 966
Posted on Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they all... male? Scottish? From that time period? Do they know each other? No to all

I have said that the category is very general. They can be male, female, almost from any period or any country. It is often subjective whether they belong to this category or not.

Perhaps it might help if you think of your own literature classes and the kind of authors you were mostly taught about.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 428
Posted on Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Successful authors? Published authors? Educated authors? Dead authors?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 970
Posted on Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Successful authors? Yes, and there is some more to it Published authors? Yes, and there is some more to it Educated authors? Probably, but not necessarily Dead authors? Not necessarily

Let me give you some random examples of those who belong in this category: Shakespeare, Milton, Burns, Jane Austen, Racine, Cervantes, Goethe,...
Markobr (Markobr)
Username: Markobr

Post Number: 180
Posted on Friday, September 11, 2009 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

World-famous poets?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 445
Posted on Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wealthy poets? Well-known poets? Socially respected poets? European poets? Poets in the nobility?

If none of the above, could you give examples of authors who don't belong in the category? If so, please do.

If not, is it because any author we've likely heard of would be included in the group?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 972
Posted on Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

World-famous poets? Yes

Wealthy poets? Well-known poets? This Socially respected poets? And this European poets? Poets in the nobility?

If none of the above, could you give examples of authors who don't belong in the category? If so, please do. I think you've got the notion - I would call the category "the Classics"

If not, is it because any author we've likely heard of would be included in the group?
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 412
Posted on Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it because they've been given such elevated status that you wouldn't consider them having normal human (sexual) tendencies?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 981
Posted on Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it because they've been given such elevated status that you wouldn't consider them having normal human (sexual) tendencies?
Bingo!
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 413
Posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And the poem/song contained sexual (or at least romantic) references, which unscrunded you?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And the poem/song contained sexual This (or at least romantic) references, which unscrunded you? Yes (btw a nice new word, this)

******************SPOILER******************

When I was in high school and then at University, I was unlucky enough to have literature and/or English teachers who were very serious about the classic authors, praising them highly, forcing us to learn by heart lists of their works, but never actually bothering to have us actually READ them, let alone to go through their work with us and help us understand WHY this particular author is so good.

I know it was not entirely their fault as I was old enough to make some investigations on my own, but it gave me the general impression that the "Classics" were a bunch of extremely boring, dull persons who never did anything interesting, and that their work was just like them.

I got rid of this scrund when I came across a tape with Robert Burns' poetry, with some renowned actor's voice reading it (I don't remember his exact name). The particular "unscrunding" poem was "Gi'e the Lass her Fairing". It completely changed my opinion as to the "Classic's" dullness.

Now, a serious, and I mean it, a SERIOUS warning. Please DON'T click on the links below if you are either:

- under the legal age of your country (yes, Gourami, YOU can now, if you wish to);
- offended by foul language/indecency;
- have a similar scrund I used to, and want to keep it;

However, you can still click on them even if any of the above applies, provided you declare on your word of honour that you don't understand Scottish dialect.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/robertburns/works/gie_the_lass_her_fairing/

If your scrund is very firmly rooted and not easy to be undone, you may click on this:

http://www.robertburns.org.uk/merrymuses.htm

and download the pdf file at the bottom of the page.

I am aware of the fact that if you had a scrund of me as a serious person, it is now safely unscrunded for good, but one has to make personal sacrifices for the sake of the truth.

Of course, I've posted all this only for scientific unscrunding purposes.

And,I have warned you, haven't I?
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 554
Posted on Friday, September 18, 2009 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haha, why thank you. Although, according to the motion picture industry, I was old enough for harsh language at seventeen. At 18, I could smoke, vote, join the army, get married without parental consent, and become involved in the pornographic industry. This year, the only added privelage is drinking, that I know of...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: