/Alhucema/ Cruel Father Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2009 » /Alhucema/ Cruel Father « Previous Next »

Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 874
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"John? What are you doing to the child?"

"Um, er... nothing, Amy, darling. I just wanted to..."

"Stop it. NOW. If you don't, I'll divorce you. And don't you ever try it again."

"All right, OK. Relax, Amy. I am not going to do it, then. No need to be afraid - if I don't do it right now, I will never be able to, anyway."

What was John up to?
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 4084
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Teaching the child nursery rhymes? Not just the violent ones but the ones that upset today's politically correct society?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 875
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Teaching the child nursery rhymes? Not just the violent ones but the ones that upset today's politically correct society? LOL, no
Kdoc (Kdoc)
Username: Kdoc

Post Number: 923
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

naming the child?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 876
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

naming the child? No
Yabblesmacker (Yabblesmacker)
Username: Yabblesmacker

Post Number: 306
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amy - HAF? John - HAM?
Amy and John are married?
Is the child biologically Amy's child?
Is the child biologically John's child?
How old is the child- 0-3? 4-7? 8-12? 13-16? 16+?
If most women saw John acting like this would they tell him to stop it?
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 364
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he doing something physical? If so, was it painful? Annoying (e.g. tickling)? Abusive? A medical procedure?

Was he doing something verbal? Teaching it something?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 877
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amy - HAF? John - HAM? Yes to all
Amy and John are married? Probably but irrelevant
Is the child biologically Amy's child? Yes
Is the child biologically John's child? Yes
How old is the child- 0-3? This 4-7? 8-12? 13-16? 16+?
If most women saw John acting like this would they tell him to stop it? Oh, yes, definitely

Was he doing something physical? Yes If so, was it painful? No Annoying (e.g. tickling)Noish? Abusive? No A medical procedure? Noish

Was he doing something verbal? No Teaching it something? No
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 503
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he trying to do something that is normally a woman's role? Dressing the poor child? Cutting its hair? Is it likely to bother the child? Is the child's exact age relevant? If so, <1 year? 1-2 years? 2-3?

Would the thing be impossible because it is not done with older children? Because older children do it themselves? Because it involves a "first"?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 878
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he trying to do something that is normally a woman's role? No Dressing the poor child? No Cutting its hair? No Is it likely to bother the child? Possibly Is the child's exact age relevant? Yes If so, <1 year? This 1-2 years? 2-3?

Would the thing be impossible because it is not done with older children? Yesish Because older children do it themselves? No Because it involves a "first"? No
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 366
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it something dangerous? Fine for adults but inappropriate for children?

The only noish medical procedures I can think of at the moment are piercings and tatoos. Was it either of these?

Was it something that used to be common in child rearing, but now we look down on it? Or was it something that has always been considered a bad idea.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 879
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it something dangerous? Yes Fine for adults but inappropriate for children? No

The only noish medical procedures I can think of at the moment are piercings and tatoos. Was it either of these? No

Was it something that used to be common in child rearing, but now we look down on it? No Or was it something that has always been considered a bad idea. Difficult to answer, I think the best is Noish
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 367
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the child M? F? Or could it be either?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 880
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the child M? F? Or could it be either? Could be either, irrelevant
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 2093
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does John feel he's acting in the childs best interests? Are his actions done out of love or affection? Or is he trying to live his dreams through his child like those awful beauty pageant parents you see on documentaries? Sports relevant?

Anything to do with teething ? learning to walk?

Is Amy annoyed solely because of what he's doing to the child? or does she take some personal affront from it i.e. she wasn't a good mother? Would a social worker take a very dim view of what John was doing?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 882
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does John feel he's acting in the childs best interests? Not really Are his actions done out of love or affection? No Or is he trying to live his dreams through his child like those awful beauty pageant parents you see on documentaries? No Sports relevant? No

Anything to do with teething ? learning to walk? No to both

Is Amy annoyed solely because of what he's doing to the child? Yes or does she take some personal affront from it i.e. she wasn't a good mother? No Would a social worker take a very dim view of what John was doing? Likely so
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)
Username: Dropofahat

Post Number: 378
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is John trying to... make the baby laugh? ...entertain the baby?

Was he attempting to do something, and it didn't work out the way he thought?

Is the reason it can't be done later because the child grows too large (physically)?

Does it involved the child's...
head?
face? (eyes? ears? nose? mouth?)
neck?
chest?
stomach?
back?
arms? hands?
legs? feet?

Is another object or substance involved?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 883
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is John trying to... make the baby laugh? ...entertain the baby? No to both

Was he attempting to do something Yes, and it didn't work out the way he thought? It didn't because Amy interrupted him

Is the reason it can't be done later because the child grows too large (physically)? No but worth exploring

Does it involved the child's...
head?
face? (eyes? ears? nose? mouth?)
neck?
chest?
stomach?
back?
arms? hands? Mostly this
legs? feet?

Is another object or substance involved?No
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 380
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

His reason for attempting it was:
Curiousity? To see if it was possible?
Just for the hell of it?

Did the think the baby would enjoy it?

Is he swinging the baby by the arms?
Is he putting the baby's arms in an awkward position? Bending or twisting them?

Is the reason he won't be able to do it anymore because... the baby's arms won't be so "limber" for much longer? ...the baby will lose its baby fat?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 884
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

His reason for attempting it was:
Curiousity? Yes To see if it was possible? Yes
Just for the hell of it? Curiosity is closest

Did the think the baby would enjoy it? Irr

Is he swinging the baby by the arms? Not exactly
Is he putting the baby's arms in an awkward position? Bending or twisting them? No to all

Is the reason he won't be able to do it anymore because... the baby's arms won't be so "limber" for much longer? ...the baby will lose its baby fat? No to all
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)
Username: Ohlala8

Post Number: 383
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When he says he needs to do it "right now," does he mean this second? this minute? this hour? this day? this week? this month? this year? Is there some milestone happening to the baby right now? Was it just born? teeth coming in? umbilical cord falling off? Fingernails growing?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Circumcision, by any chance?

He won't be able to do it because the baby's bones will harden shortly? Or for some other reason related to maturation?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 887
Posted on Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When he says he needs to do it "right now," does he mean this second? this minute? this hour? possibly this day? possibly this week? this month? this year? Is there some milestone happening to the baby right now? Yesish Was it just born?Yes teeth coming in? umbilical cord falling off? Fingernails growing? No to the rest

Circumcision, by any chance? No

He won't be able to do it because the baby's bones will harden shortly? No Or for some other reason related to maturation? Yesish
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 888
Posted on Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hang on - I've just learned something so I must post a BLOOOPER! When he says he needs to do it "right now," does he mean this second? this minute? this hour? possibly this day? possibly this week? this month? this year? Should have been rather this week/month. Definitely not a year, though.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he tossing the baby in the air and catching her? Is she getting heavier?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 504
Posted on Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he making loud noises so the child will reflexively stick its arms and legs straight up?
Not that I've ever done that to a baby, of course...
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 891
Posted on Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he tossing the baby in the air and catching her? Is she getting heavier?

Is he making loud noises so the child will reflexively stick its arms and legs straight up?
Not that I've ever done that to a baby, of course..

No to all.
Ferrets101 (Ferrets101)
Username: Ferrets101

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If John did the action in question, would the baby:
die?
be injured physically?
suffer brain damage?

Is the wife threatening to divorce John if he does the action because:
She feels it indicates John is irresponsible?
She feels it indicates John is violent?
She feels it indicates John is mentally ill?
If John were to commit the action, would Amy really divorce him? Or was it just an empty threat?

Any of the following:
Extramarital affairs?
Sex (as in intercourse, not gender)? for what it's worth, sex isn't the same as gender, and I'd love to do a puzzle about it but I can't think of how to work it in.

Pregnancy (aside from simply that the wife just had a baby).

When you say the baby was just born, do you mean it was born in the last minute? Hour? Day? Month? Year? Or did this occur the instant the baby emerged from Amy?
Is the baby's gender relevant?
Ferrets101 (Ferrets101)
Username: Ferrets101

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One question I forgot: Was the baby born in a Caesarian section?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 896
Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If John did the action in question, would the baby:
die?
be injured physically?
suffer brain damage? If he did the action in question, all you are suggesting could in theory happen if things went wrong; however, there is a big chance the baby would not be injured at all

Is the wife threatening to divorce John if he does the action because:
She feels it indicates John is irresponsible? Yes
She feels it indicates John is violent? No
She feels it indicates John is mentally ill? She might feel this as well
If John were to commit the action, would Amy really divorce him? Or was it just an empty threat? I am afraid only Amy knows the answer to this :-)) I reckon she would divorce him if things went wrong, she wouldn't if they didn't

Any of the following:
Extramarital affairs? No
Sex (as in intercourse, not gender)? No for what it's worth, sex isn't the same as gender, and I'd love to do a puzzle about it but I can't think of how to work it in. I'm looking forward to it :-))

Pregnancy (aside from simply that the wife just had a baby). I am afraid I do not understand; however, pregnancy as such is not relevant to our puzzle

When you say the baby was just born, do you mean it was born in the last minute? Hour? Day? All these three would work Month? Possibly but less likely Year? No Or did this occur the instant the baby emerged from Amy? No, not the very instant; could have happened, say, minutes/hours later
Is the baby's gender relevant? Not at all

Was the baby born in a Caesarian section? Irrelevant
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 507
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does this have to do with the *shudder* soft spot at the back of the head? With lanugo? With any reflexes/instincts that a baby has, which an adult lacks?

Is this something done often to babies? If so, is it usually considered irresponsible parenting? Is it one of those things that many people do routinely in childcare, but others consider fatal to the baby (ex. putting the baby to sleep on its stomach) ?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 903
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does this have to do with the *shudder* soft spot at the back of the head? No :-)) With lanugo? NoWith any reflexes/instincts that a baby has, which an adult lacks? Yes

Is this something done often to babies? AFAIK, no If so, is it usually considered irresponsible parenting? I think a lot of people would consider it irresponsible Is it one of those things that many people do routinely in childcare, but others consider fatal to the baby (ex. putting the baby to sleep on its stomach) ? I see what you mean, but no
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 904
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With any reflexes And to be more precise, this/instincts that a baby has, which an adult lacks?
Yabblesmacker (Yabblesmacker)
Username: Yabblesmacker

Post Number: 318
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isn't there some reflex about babies holding their breath whilst underwater? Was he holding the baby underwater?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 908
Posted on Monday, September 07, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isn't there some reflex about babies holding their breath whilst underwater?I think there is, but it is not relevant to our puzzle Was he holding the baby underwater? So no
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 509
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 3:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the reflex involve reacting to sight? Bright light? Darkness? Sound? Smell? Taste? Touch?

Does it cause the baby to move? Make a face? Make a sound?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 915
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the reflex involve reacting to sight? Bright light? Darkness? Sound? Smell? Taste? Touch? This-ish, no to rest

Does it cause the baby to move? Yesish, but beware a FA Make a face? No Make a sound? No
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 382
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it that reflex (forgot what it's called, if it has a name) where if you don't support a baby's neck, the baby's hands automatically move make a clasping motion?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 916
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it that reflex (forgot what it's called, if it has a name) where if you don't support a baby's neck, the baby's hands automatically move make a clasping motion? You mean the Moro reflex; it is not what we are looking for, but you are definitely on the right track
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 518
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Amy objecting to the touch(ish) that is causing the reflex? Or to creating the reflex itself?

Does it involve holding the baby upside down? Swinging him upside down? Because I would definitely object to that...
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 921
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Amy objecting to the touch(ish) that is causing the reflex? Or to creating the reflex itself? I would rather say this

Does it involve holding the baby upside down? Swinging him upside down? No Because I would definitely object to that... So would I :-))

I think you are already a little baby step from the solution - so don't give up :-))
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 523
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does this involve a reflex in which the baby curls/spreads its digits? Is it a response to heat? Cold?

Is Amy objecting to an involuntary movement that John is causing the child to perform? Or is the child moving not under its own motor control (like being rocked)?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 927
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does this involve a reflex in which the baby curls This-ish/spreads its digits? Is it a response to heat? Cold? No to both

Is Amy objecting to an involuntary movement that John is causing the child to perform? Or is the child moving not under its own motor control (like being rocked)? This
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 383
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the reflex cause the baby to... close its hands? ...clench its fists? ...open its hands wide? ...bend its arms inward? ...open its arms wide?

Is the "Thorburn Position" relevant (elbows out, hands on the throat)?

What the father does to provoke the reflex, does it involve... his mouth? his hands?

Is he touching the baby's... arms? Elbows? shoulders? wrists? back? stomach? neck? head?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 933
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the reflex cause the baby to... close its hands? Yes ...clench its fists? Yes...open its hands wide? ...bend its arms inward? ...open its arms wide? No to rest

Is the "Thorburn Position" relevant (elbows out, hands on the throat)? No

What the father does to provoke the reflex, does it involve... his mouth? his hands? Neither

Is he touching the baby's... arms? Elbows? shoulders? wrists? back? stomach? neck? head? Neither
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 385
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the reflex causes the baby to close/clench its hand/fist? On something?
Does he touch the baby's hand with some part of his body?
Does he put something in the baby's hand and it grabs it?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 935
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the reflex causes the baby to close/clench its hand/fist? Yes On something? Yes
Does he touch the baby's hand with some part of his body? Yes, he does.But it would work just the same if he touched the baby's hand with an object
Does he put something in the baby's hand and it grabs it? Exactly so.

If you want to ask Uncle Google, please feel free to do so :-))
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 387
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Grasp reflex"?

If so, do we have to figure out why it's potentially dangerous?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 937
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Grasp reflex"? You got it!

If so, do we have to figure out why it's potentially dangerous? Exactly so.
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 388
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You said it didn't involve another object or substance, and it's not John's hands or mouth...

Does it involve John's... head? ...neck? Torso? Arm? Leg? Foot?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 938
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You said it didn't involve another object or substance, and it's not John's hands or mouth...Sorry, a BLOOOPER! It DOES involve John's hands. I must have overlooked this, I do apologize.

Does it involve John's... head? ...neck? Torso? Arm? Leg? Foot?
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 391
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does john put his finger in the baby's hand? and he makes the baby hang in the air, holding only his finger?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 939
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does john put his finger in the baby's hand? and he makes the baby hang in the air, holding only his finger? This is exactly what he is doing, and here goes the

*************SPOILER*****************

There are several reflexes a normal baby is born with which disappear with its natural development.

One of them is the palmar grasp reflex, which appears at birth and persists until five or six months of age. When an object is placed in the infant's hand and strokes their palm, the fingers will close and they will grasp it. The grip is very strong and often able to support the child's own weight, but also unpredictable - the infant may also release its grip suddenly and without warning. This is also the reason why Amy's protest was so fervent.

It's quite an amazing thing, look for yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9m1ghkTVPU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xz4XxPXh6I&feature=related

I must confess that I thought of trying it on my newborn children but did not find the courage.

However, my uncle, who was a paediatrician (and the greatest lateral thinker I've ever met) tried it on his three sons, who apparently survived the test :-))

Thank you all for participating in my puzzle, and Dropofahat for firmly grasping the solution.
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 393
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice one, Alhucema!
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 942
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Matt!
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 527
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haha, good puzzle!

Actually, I would consider trying this on my infant, if there were lots of cushions beneath and he or she was only lifted a few inches.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 947
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was considering it seriously before the kids were born, but I chickened out every time :-))
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 397
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Besides the possibility of falling, I think it's bad for their shoulders, they're not fused yet; they're not designed to hold their own weight at that age. Heck, you shouldn't even swing a young child around by the arms for the same reason...
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 948
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's true. My brother-in-law dislocated my nephew's shoulder like that when he was about eight or so. I am glad I was not in his shoes when he had to explain what happened in hospital.

However, if you look at the videos again, the infants' arms seem quite firm - looks like if their muscles were strong enough to support their weight without dislocating the shoulder.

I'm far from being an expert, though, so please take this with a pinch of salt.
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 398
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess a baby's weight is small enough that a few seconds won't hurt. But I took an osteology class once, and they said that those bones don't fully fuse until, I forget, sometime in the early teen years or something. And until then, it's not real safe to put much strain on them.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: