[Natanz] The phone Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2009 » [Natanz] The phone « Previous Next »

Natanz (Natanz)
Username: Natanz

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course, having a cell phone helps my social life, but my cell phone also makes people think my social skills aren't up to par.
Natanz (Natanz)

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah forgot this [Natanz] before the title...
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they think it because you say something on the phone? Don't say something? Write messages? Do not write messages?

Is it relevant whether your phone is switched on? Whether you have a signal? Wrong numbers involved?

Your phoning habits?
Natanz (Natanz)

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they think it because you say something on the phone? no Don't say something? Yes, explore Write messages? \b {No} Do not write messages? No

Is it relevant whether your phone is switched on? Yes Whether you have a signal? Yes Wrong numbers involved? No

Your phoning habits? Yope
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you fail to answer their phone calls? If so, is it because you are at a place which is not covered by the signal? Do you switch the phone off so that people cannot reach you? Does the phone go low on batteries?
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 228
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The people who think your social skills aren't up to par: Are they near you physically? Those who see you with your phone at any given time? Are they people you are on the phone with?

Are you actually using your phone? If so, are you calling someone/thing? or is someone calling you?

Do you say nothing? Are you not saying anything because you aren't actually calling someone (like just pretending to use the phone)? because there is nobody on the other end of the line? because you are calling your voice mail?

Or is there a certain thing you don't say? like "Hello"? because you already know who is on the other end of the line? based on the caller ID on the cell phone?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you use a handsfree set? Relevant?
Natanz (Natanz)

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you fail to answer their phone calls? no If so, is it because you are at a place which is not covered by the signal? no Do you switch the phone off so that people cannot reach you? no Does the phone go low on batteries? no

The people who think your social skills aren't up to par: Are they near you physically? not necessarily Those who see you with your phone at any given time? no Are they people you are on the phone with? yes

Are you actually using your phone? yes If so, are you calling someone/thing? yes or is someone calling you? also possible, it happens whenever I'm on the phone with someone. Who called who isn't relevant

Do you say nothing? no with a tiny -ish Are you not saying anything because you aren't actually calling someone (like just pretending to use the phone)? no because there is nobody on the other end of the line? no because you are calling your voice mail? no

Or is there a certain thing you don't say? no like "Hello"? because you already know who is on the other end of the line? no based on the caller ID on the cell phone? no

Do you use a handsfree set? no Relevant? No
Natanz (Natanz)

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To be clear: I do talk when on the phone. But the question "Do you say nothing? no" still has a tiny -ish that is important.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you say the word, "nothing?" Do you make a noise that is not technically a word? Do you press a button on the phone?

Should you be speaking to the person on the other end? Are you doing so improperly? Do they think you are doing so improperly?
Natanz (Natanz)

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you say the word, "nothing?" no Do you make a noise that is not technically a word? no Do you press a button on the phone? yes, and pressing a button is related to why they have that opinion

Should you be speaking to the person on the other end? no Are you doing so improperly? when I speak, it's not improperly Do they think you are doing so improperly? when I speak, they don't think so
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 488
Posted on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you use the speaker-phone option?
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)
Username: Ohlala8

Post Number: 394
Posted on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does your cell phone have a "mute" option you weren't aware of?
Natanz (Natanz)

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you use the speaker-phone option? \b(no, but if I did it would still happen}

Does your cell phone have a "mute" option you weren't aware of? \b(no}
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you speaking to a machine service? Or to a person? Is the specific button you press relevant? Can others see which button you press, and is that relevant?
Natanz (Natanz)

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you speaking to a machine service? no Or to a person? yes Is the specific button you press relevant? yes

Can others see which button you press, and is that relevant? no, they can't see what buttons I press (we determined I'm on the phone with the people who have this opinion), but it's relevant somehow, explore
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you pressing buttons while people are talking to you? Perhaps under the impression they're a machine?
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)
Username: Ohlala8

Post Number: 401
Posted on Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do others hear a noise when you press the button? Or does it just have some effect on the conversation? Is it one of the number keys? The "hang up" button? The "hold" button? The phone menu button? Star? Pound? Do you realize that you're pressing it? Do you realize what effect it will have?
Natanz (Natanz)

Post Number: 97
Posted on Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you pressing buttons while people are talking to you? no, not WHILE they're talking Perhaps under the impression they're a machine? no

Do others hear a noise when you press the button? they do hear something when I press it, but not the button or the button-sound like a beep

Or does it just have some effect on the conversation? it has an effect on the conversation if you take the entire interaction as a conversation Is it one of the number keys? no The "hang up" button? yes, only this button The "hold" button? no The phone menu button? no Star? no Pound? no Do you realize that you're pressing it? yes, always Do you realize what effect it will have? yes, except the first few times when I didn't know about the effect yet
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 561
Posted on Sunday, September 20, 2009 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you still talking, but the people on the other end cannot hear? Do you seem to hang up without saying goodbye? Or do you accidentally hang up in the middle of the conversation?

Are you accidentally pushing buttons with your cheek (I do that all the time)? Or do you mean to press a button, just not the "end call" one?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 5:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are these people friends or relatives? Associates? People you are conducting business with? Relevant?

Does this happen at the beginning of a conversation, during it, or towards the end?

Is it a function of the phone itself, or of the overall communication system? Is it something that can be explained to the person on the other end before it happens, so that they are not insulted? Does it surprise you? Or the person you're speaking to?
Natanz (Natanz)

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, September 21, 2009 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you still talking, but the people on the other end cannot hear? no Do you seem to hang up without saying goodbye? no Or do you accidentally hang up in the middle of the conversation? no

Are you accidentally pushing buttons with your cheek (I do that all the time)? no Or do you mean to press a button, just not the "end call" one? no

Are these people friends or relatives? Associates? People you are conducting business with? Relevant? all irrelevant, it happens with everyone

Does this happen at the beginning of a conversation, during it, or towards the end? when I hang up

Is it a function of the phone itself, or of the overall communication system? of the phone, explore Is it something that can be explained to the person on the other end before it happens, so that they are not insulted? yes, but they never get insulted Does it surprise you? only before I found out what was happening every time I hung up Or the person you're speaking to? yes, always
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 537
Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now that you know about it, does it still happen? Or could you change a setting on your phone to make it stop? Or could you change your behavior to make it stop?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 571
Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the hang-up button make a noise? Is an automated voice involved at all? Or a sound that seems to be a voice? Is there a relevant delay between the time you push the button and the time the call is disconnected?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 1499
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who thinks your social skills aren't up to par? The people on the other end of the line? Someone near you? Someone listening in to the conversation who is not a participant? Someone else?

If someone thinks your social skills aren't up to par... are they insulted? Scandalized? Worried? Surprised? Do they believe your social skills can be improved? If they have met you before would they still think your social skills aren't up to par? If they are familiar with the phone you are using? Does the specific type of phone matter? The specific type of interaction?
Natanz (Natanz)

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now that you know about it, does it still happen? yes Or could you change a setting on your phone to make it stop? no Or could you change your behavior to make it stop? yes, explore

Does the hang-up button make a noise? no Is an automated voice involved at all? no Or a sound that seems to be a voice? no

Who thinks your social skills aren't up to par? The people on the other end of the line? yes Someone near you? no Someone listening in to the conversation who is not a participant? no Someone else? no

If someone thinks your social skills aren't up to par... are they insulted? no Scandalized? no Worried? no Surprised? yes Do they believe your social skills can be improved? yes If they have met you before would they still think your social skills aren't up to par? yes, but people who haven't met me would think worse of me If they are familiar with the phone you are using? no Does the specific type of phone matter? I think so, most phones don't have this The specific type of interaction? no

*****SPOILER*******

Is there a relevant delay between the time you push the button and the time the call is disconnected? yes!!!!

Because this happens, people think I don't hang up on purpose after the conversation. It's a bug on my phone that just appeared some day.
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 577
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, good one. That sounds highly annoying.
Natanz (Natanz)

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thx, yes it is annoying!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: