[peter365] John Paul Jitters Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2009 » [peter365] John Paul Jitters « Previous Next »

Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 2116
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In 1979 when I was just 9 years old my family and I went to see Pope John Paul II saying mass in Dublin during his historic visit to Ireland. This should have been a very exciting time for me but instead I spent the entire day in a high state of anxiety.

Why was this?
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DId you misunderstand something your family members/someone else said about the Pope?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2118
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DId you misunderstand something your family members/someone else said about the Pope? I misunderstood something my father said but it was not specifically about the pope
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

About what you would be doing/what would happen during the mass? During the Pope's visit to Ireland?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2119
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

About what you would be doing/what would happen during the mass? about something that would probably happen during the mass During the Pope's visit to Ireland? no
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 237
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this "something that would probably happen" a part of a typical Catholic Mass? a part of only those masses celebrated by the Pope? Would you have been anxious if a regular priest were celebrating the mass? Did you believe you were going to interact directly with the Pope?

Does this have anything to do with communion? Confession?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2120
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this "something that would probably happen" a part of a typical Catholic Mass? No a part of only those masses celebrated by the Pope? yope Would you have been anxious if a regular priest were celebrating the mass? No Did you believe you were going to interact directly with the Pope? No

Does this have anything to do with communion? Confession? no to both
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 548
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it something that only happens at special masses? Like burning incense?

Does it have to do with blessings? Being blessed by the Pope?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2121
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it something that only happens at special masses? Like burning incense? No nothing like this . Remember it's something that might conceivably happen at mass particularly if the mass is being said by the pope

Does it have to do with blessings? Being blessed by the Pope? No to both
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will "it" happen towards the beginning of the mass? Towards the middle? The end? Throughout the mass?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2122
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will i'd say could "it" happen towards the beginning of the mass? Towards the middle? The end? Throughout the mass? thoughout
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 534
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the number of people being present during the mass relevant? the fact that it was held outdoors?
Could the same possibly have happened if the mass was celebrated in a church? or if the mass was celebrated in the same location under the same circumstances, but not by the Pope? or during a mass celebrated in Rome by the Pope?
Is the nationality of the Pope relevant? the language in which he was saying the mass? (I think John Paul was not very good at English.)
his name? the fact that he was the second John Paul?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "it" related to the words said during the mass? Other people present (e.g. the Cardinals)? Anything which is physically done during the mass? Anything which is assumed to happen (such as e.g. the transfiguration of bread and wine)?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2123
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the number of people being present during the mass relevant? yes the fact that it was held outdoors? not as much as above
Could the same possibly have happened if the mass was celebrated in a church? unlikely but not impossible or if the mass was celebrated in the same location under the same circumstances, but not by the Pope? again most unlikely or during a mass celebrated in Rome by the Pope? yes
Is the nationality of the Pope relevant? No the language in which he was saying the mass? (I think John Paul was not very good at English.)Not relevant
his name? no the fact that he was the second John Paul? no
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2124
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "it" related to the words said during the mass? no Other people present (e.g. the Cardinals)? yes but not necessarily caridinals or other clergy Anything which is physically done during the mass? no Anything which is assumed to happen (such as e.g. the transfiguration of bread and wine)? No
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would the other people be just the crowd? Or is there something special about them (e.g. do they have to belong to the Pope's surroundings)

Did you assume the people will do/say/hear/see anything relevant?

Were you afraid of a potential outcome for you? Someone else? Something else?

Would this outcome be physical damage? Psychological damage?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2125
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would the other people be just the crowd? yesOr is there something special about them (e.g. do they have to belong to the Pope's surroundings) no

Did you assume the people will do yesish/say/hear/see anything relevant? no to rest

Were you afraid of a potential outcome for you? yes Someone else? and this too Something else? No

Would this outcome be physical damage? yes Psychological damage?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you afraid they will kill/injure you/someone of your family?

If so, by trampling you? Suffocating you?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2126
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you afraid they will kill/injure you/someone of your family? No but not a million miles away either

If so, by trampling you? Suffocating you?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kill/injure another person? A living being? Damage an inanimate object?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2127
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kill/injure another person? A living being? Damage an inanimate object? No to all. Not as warm as you were a minute ago.

P.s. I do enjoy a nice bit of lateral tennis:o)
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK then. I am serving :-))

Will the physical damage be done to something animate? Inanimate?

Will the physical damage be the only negative outcome?

Will it be temporary? Permanent?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2128
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK then. I am serving :-))

Will the physical damage be done to something animate? Inanimate? maybe I should have said yope to physical damage. For the thing to happen that i was worried about you would expect some physical damage to occur. However i wasn't worried about someone acting violently towards me or others

Will the physical damage be the only negative outcome? No

Will it be temporary? Permanent? permanent
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 583
Posted on Friday, September 25, 2009 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it just the size of the crowd that worried you? Did your father use the word "crowd," and you took it to mean the verb rather than the noun? Did he say there was going to be a "crush" of people? (I think I've heard someone say that before) Anything along those lines?

Or was it an action done by the crowd that you were worried about? An emotional response to the Pope being there? Weeping? Trying to touch him?

Could the thing you were worried about happen outside of a church service? Outside of a religious setting?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 585
Posted on Friday, September 25, 2009 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant that it was 1979, beyond the fact that that's when the Pope came to visit? Any current events relevant? Technology level relevant?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2129
Posted on Friday, September 25, 2009 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it just the size of the crowd that worried you? no something else but the size of the crowd is very relevant Did your father use the word "crowd," and you took it to mean the verb rather than the noun? no Did he say there was going to be a "crush" of people? no (I think I've heard someone say that before) Anything along those lines? no but he did say somethign about the size of the crowd that worried me greatly

Or was it an action done by the crowd that you were worried about? no An emotional response to the Pope being there? Weeping? Trying to touch him? no to this

Could the thing you were worried about happen outside of a church service? Outside of a religious setting? yes to both
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2130
Posted on Friday, September 25, 2009 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant that it was 1979, beyond the fact that that's when the Pope came to visit? not especially what is relevant is that I was only 9 years old Any current events relevant? Technology level relevant? no to rest
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 590
Posted on Friday, September 25, 2009 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The crowd will be so big that there might be standing room only? Won't fit in the building?
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 4086
Posted on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you interpret a metaphor as something literal?

He didn't want you to get lost in the crowd? Carried away by the crowd?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he say something along the line "there will be a helluva lot of people there"? :-))

Did you misinterpret the expression meaning "a lot of" or "a lot of people" your father said?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2131
Posted on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noel

The crowd will be so big that there might be standing room only? Won't fit in the building? no to both

Lynne
Did you interpret a metaphor as something literal? no

He didn't want you to get lost in the crowd? Carried away by the crowd? not these either

Alhucema

Did he say something along the line "there will be a helluva lot of people there"? :-)) well he might have but he said something much more relative

Did you misinterpret the expression meaning "a lot of" or "a lot of people" your father said? no

Hint: The was approx. 1 million people at this mass. What did my father say about that, that made me nervous
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the misunderstood word a precise numeral (like "a million")?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2132
Posted on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the misunderstood word a precise numeral (like "a million")? no
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your father making a comparison?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2133
Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your father making a comparison? I'm afraid not
Ferrets101 (Ferrets101)
Username: Ferrets101

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could this happen today if Pope Benedict visited Ireland? If John Paul were still alive and visited? Could it have happened if John Paul visited England? Scotland? Wales? North Ireland? Mainland Europe (excluding the Vatican)? In the Vatican? Elsewhere?

Same questions for Benedict today? For John Paul today were he alive?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So - your father said something about a million people hearing the mass? Or just a lot of people?

And you misinterpreted it as the fact that there is such a large crowd somehow represents a danger.

So far correct?

Was the danger (as you perceived it) consist in something the crowd may do by the mere force of being so many (such as, eg. suffocate someone, breathe all the air, eating all the food in the town)? Or would there be some extra activity required (eg. there will be riots among them)?

Was your father serious when he said what he said? Or was he joking ?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2134
Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So - your father said something about a million people hearing the mass? He mentioned 1 million specifically Or just a lot of people?

And you misinterpreted it as the fact that there is such a large crowd somehow represents a danger. yes

So far correct? yes

Was the danger (as you perceived it) consist in something the crowd may do by the mere force of being so many (such as, eg. suffocate someone, breathe all the air, eating all the food in the town)? Or would there be some extra activity required (eg. there will be riots among them)? no to all

Was your father serious when he said what he said? he was serious but probably regretted saying it Or was he joking ?

hint : Think about the country where this took place
Ferrets101 (Ferrets101)
Username: Ferrets101

Post Number: 108
Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you forgot mine.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2135
Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

many apologies ferrets

Could this happen today if Pope Benedict visited Ireland? yes If John Paul were still alive and visited? yes Could it have happened if John Paul visited England? Scotland? Wales? North Ireland? Mainland Europe (excluding the Vatican)? In the Vatican? Elsewhere? i guess what frightened me could have happened anywhere but it would be especially relevant for Ireland given the religeos demographic of the country

Same questions for Benedict today? For John Paul today were he alive? For Ireland yes for other places not so sure
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A wild but very wild guess - 1 million people could have been a third or a fourth of Irish population back then. And Ireland is an island.

Were you afraid Ireland might sink with so many people gathering in one place ? :-)))
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2136
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A wild but very wild guess - 1 million people could have been a third or a fourth of Irish population back then.this is very relevant. Keep this thought in mind And Ireland is an island. but this isn't

Were you afraid Ireland might sink with so many people gathering in one place ? :-))) LOL 10 out of 10 for effort but zero for accuracy
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your fear realistic (at least in theory)?

Is it relevant you were just nine years old? Are you likely to have conceived the same idea if you were 4? 7? 12? 15?

Does it have something in common with your knowledge (learnt in school or otherwise) about the way things work?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2137
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your fear realistic (at least in theory)? no not really

Is it relevant you were just nine years old? yes Are you likely to have conceived the same idea if you were 4? maybe a bit too young 7? yes probably 12? 15? no for the last 2

Does it have something in common with your knowledge (learnt in school or otherwise) about the way things work? no
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your fear related to the one million of people PRESENT, or rather to the three-or-so million ABSENT?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2138
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your fear related to the one million of people PRESENT, or rather to the three-or-so million ABSENT? present

you really need to find out what i was worried about
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I am trying really hard, ain't I? ;-))

So your father said there was going to be a million of people, AND something else which made you worry?

You said that the perceived risk was not related to the crowd itself, or to whatever the crowd might do. Is that correct?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2139
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I am trying really hard, ain't I? ;-)) You certainly are

So your father said there was going to be a million of people, AND something else which made you worry? yes

You said that the perceived risk was not related to the crowd itself, or to whatever the crowd might do. Is that correct? yes .. more something that might happen to some people in the crowd including myself (Hint Hint)
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with 'stranger danger?' Anything criminal? Anything physically painful?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2140
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with 'stranger danger?'No Anything criminal? No Anything physically painful? Maybe but who knows!!
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

will the danger involve touching your body (more or less violently)? alterating your state of mind? fainting?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2141
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

will the danger involve touching your body (more or less violently)? alterating your state of mind? fainting? None of these. Remember the only danger existed in the mind of a 9 year old boy
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes, I mean the danger as you imagined it
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2142
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes, I mean the danger as you imagined it you've been so persistent with this I'll give another little clue. I had no idea how this perceived danger was going to manifest itself. All I know is that i was quite frightened. Now what is it that most people are frightened off.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 595
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most people are frightened of dying? The dark? The unknown?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2144
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most people are frightened of dying? this one The dark? The unknown?

Now what did my dad say that made me think i might die at the pope's mass
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 602
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he mention souls?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2146
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he mention souls? No
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)
Username: Dropofahat

Post Number: 473
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you consider yourself a "sinner"?
Markobr (Markobr)
Username: Markobr

Post Number: 300
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you expect some kind of divine intervention? Diabolical intervention? Some other supernatural thing happening?
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 474
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you misintepret a word or phrase? Did you consider yourself part of a group that was going to be punished?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he say something along the line that one third of Ireland could die peacefully after hearing the Pope's mass because they would go straight to Heaven?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2147
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dropofhat

Did you consider yourself a "sinner"? No

Markobr

Did you expect some kind of divine intervention? Diabolical intervention? Some other supernatural thing happening? No

Dropofhat

Did you misintepret a word or phrase? not really more a misunderstanding of a concept Did you consider yourself part of a group that was going to be punished? No

Did he say something along the line that one third of Ireland could die peacefully after hearing the Pope's mass because they would go straight to Heaven? No... but theres a key phrase in your question that's very relevant
Markobr (Markobr)

Post Number: 302
Posted on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the key phrase "one third of Ireland"?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2148
Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the key phrase "one third of Ireland"? yes
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he say that one third of Ireland will do something? Become something? Something will happen to it?

I recognize I have no lateral ideas at the moment; the good old police investigation style is the only thing how I can move forward for the moment, and I do need to move forward as I am really curious what may have scared you ;-)))
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2152
Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he say that one third of Ireland will do something? Become something? Something will happen to it? no he mentioned that one third of the population would be at the mass and then something else

I recognize I have no lateral ideas at the moment; the good old police investigation style is the only thing how I can move forward for the moment, and I do need to move forward as I am really curious what may have scared you ;-))) no worries you're doing fine. btw are you good cop or bad cop ;O)
Markobr (Markobr)

Post Number: 304
Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you understand that your father was speaking about a part of the population?

Northern Ireland relevant? The IRA? The UK?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 613
Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he say he wasn't sure if there'd be enough room?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2154
Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

markobr

Did you understand that your father was speaking about a part of the population? yes

Northern Ireland relevant? The IRA? The UK? No to all

Noel

Did he say he wasn't sure if there'd be enough room? no
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

no worries you're doing fine. Thanks :-)) btw are you good cop or bad cop ;O) It is ME who is supposed to be asking questions. DO YOU UNDERSTAND, OR WOULD YOU RATHER SPEND A NIGHT IN PRISON???

One third of the population is going to be at the mass and ... something will happen? it will look like something?

If I only heard the sentence which made you worry, could I infer from it that your father was very religious?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2155
Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

no worries you're doing fine. Thanks :-)) btw are you good cop or bad cop ;O) It is ME who is supposed to be asking questions. DO YOU UNDERSTAND, OR WOULD YOU RATHER SPEND A NIGHT IN PRISON??? Do you're worst i've got an iron clad alibi

One third of the population is going to be at the mass and ... something will happen? not one incident no. Lets say my dad was speculating about what might occur it will look like something? No

If I only heard the sentence which made you worry, could I infer from it that your father was very religious? No not at all
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 476
Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are we talking about Protestants? The Church of Ireland?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2156
Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are we talking about Protestants? The Church of Ireland? Well the Pope's mass would be catholic of course but religeon plays no further part in this puzzle. All you should concern yourself is that one third of the population of Ireland was gathered in one place and my dad while commenting on this fact said something that made me (a 9 year old) think I might die. You have all you need to solve this now
Martinfg (Martinfg)
Username: Martinfg

Post Number: 815
Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the composition of atmosphere relevant?
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 478
Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a phrase common in most masses that you misinterpreted? Or was it something that only the pope was going to do at this special mass (or other special papal masses), that you misintepreted as meaning that he would "kill" the congregation?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have something to do with the bodily functions of the crowd?

Would the same work if you lived e.g. in Spain (ie if a million of Spaniards gathered to hear the Pope's mass, given the entire Spanish population back in the late seventies was around 36 million people)?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2157
Posted on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Martin

Is the composition of atmosphere relevant? no

Dropofhat

Is it a phrase common in most masses that you misinterpreted? No Or was it something that only the pope was going to do at this special mass (or other special papal masses), that you misintepreted as meaning that he would "kill" the congregation No nothing like this

Alhucema

Does it have something to do with the bodily functions of the crowd? No

Would the same work if you lived e.g. in Spain (ie if a million of Spaniards gathered to hear the Pope's mass, given the entire Spanish population back in the late seventies was around 36 million people)? I wouldn't have been as nervous no
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it have worked if it was a match of Limerick FC against Athlone Town FC with a million of fans present?
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 621
Posted on Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you somehow get the idea that something would be put out of balance by so many people being gathered in one place? For example, that the island might sink? Or that the Earth might be thrown out of orbit?

Did you think that the entire crowd was in trouble, like in the above examples? Just you? Just some people present?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2161
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alhucema
Would it have worked if it was a match of Limerick FC against Athlone Town FC with a million of fans present? LOL yes it would although the chances of there being a million people at an Irish League Soccer match are somewhat remote

Gourami
Did you somehow get the idea that something would be put out of balance by so many people being gathered in one place? No For example, that the island might sink? No Or that the Earth might be thrown out of orbit? and no again

Did you think that the entire crowd was in trouble, like in the above examples? No Just you? No Just some people present? yes

btw folks i probably made a blooper when i said this wouldn't be a factor in England Scotland or any other country. I'm sure the risk i perceived would exist anywhere a million people had gathered. The answer is much more simple than you might imagine
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it help to find out what kind of people did you assume would be in trouble? If so, would this group have something in common?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2164
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it help to find out what kind of people did you assume would be in trouble? If so, would this group have something in common? No it wouldn't . I was unsure of exactly who was in danger of dying but felt sure i'd be one of them
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 537
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the strange feeling that we're going in circles and the solution is just in front of us ..

Would it help to invoke the LPTF list of death reasons? fatal injury? loss of blood? poisoning? lack of oxygen? dystrophia? hypothermia? hyperthermia? ...?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2167
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the strange feeling that we're going in circles and the solution is just in front of us .. yes i think you've all been a tad guilty of over complicating this puzzle

Would it help to invoke the LPTF list of death reasons? fatal injury? loss of blood? poisoning? lack of oxygen? dystrophia? hypothermia? hyperthermia? ...? b{No there could be any number of causes of death at play here?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 630
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think people might get trampled to death? Smushed? That people might die of natural causes, but that would somehow be worsened by their being in a crowd?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2170
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think people might get trampled to death? No Smushed? That sounds like a candidate for a neologistic puzzle. Is that a word? I'll have to say no That people might die of natural causes, but that would somehow be worsened by their being in a crowd? No but i did feel that the cause of the peoples and my own death would be natural causes. Now why did I think that
Dropofahat (Dropofahat)

Post Number: 481
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did your father say something like "it'll take forever" or "we'll die of old age" because the crowd was so large?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2171
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did your father say something like "it'll take forever" or "we'll die of old age" because the crowd was so large? No but a lovely bit of lateral thinking. In fact that's a lot more lateral than the solution
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your dad speaking figuratively?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2173
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your dad speaking figuratively? No not really. What he was doing was talking about lies, damn lies &.......
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that it is statistically probable that something will happen? x number of people will die during the mass?

Did he use the word "die" or "death"?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2175
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that it is statistically probable that something will happen? yes x number of people will die during the mass? Off Course

Did he use the word "die" or "death"? die

pretty much there now do you want to apply the coup de grace and work out what my father actually said
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something along the line that if there is a million people, it is statistically probable that x of them will die during a day/hour/the duration of the mass?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2176
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something along the line that if there is a million people, it is statistically probable that x of them will die during a day/hour/the duration of the mass? that'll do . I'm glad you solved this Alhucema as you put a lot of work into it.

****************Spoiler****************

The answer's a bit more straight forward than you might have imagined. My father on the way to the mass in our car opined that as one third of the population of Ireland was going to be at the mass and about 100 people die in Ireland every day then statistically somewhere in the region of 30 people could die during the mass.

As i was only 9 this thought terrified me . I thought it was a situation where 30 people had to die to keep things right so I was sure for much of the day that i'd be suddenly struck down in some awful way. A nice demonstration of the danger of relying on statistics I feel.

btw i seem to recall that only 2 people died that at the mass that day.

Thanks for sticking with this . It was a very active puzzle and I hope the solution is satisfactory given the amount of work you all put in
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 631
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That would definitely have been scary to me as a child. Good puzzle!
And no, to be perfectly technical, "smushed" isn't a word. My definition would be...like smashed, but less violently and slightly slower.
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 245
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good puzzle! I would probably have felt the same way. And would have been more than a little creeped out if I were anywhere near the people who died. Because in a crowd of 1 million, I have the kind of luck that would put me right next to them :-/

definition of smush -- basically a blending of smash and mush
I've never thought of smushing with regard to pies (their example)... Mostly I think of smushed faces (pugs, Persians, etc. -- essentially the extremes of this annoying technical term) or of smushing bugs (kind of a synonym for squish/squash).
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...yes, after a lot of sweating, huffing and puffing :-)) - must confess that, without your final hint, I would still have no idea :-))

Thanks for a great puzzle. I deeply feel with your nine-year-old self. Must have been a terrible day.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

..and, by the way, I LOVED the title of your puzzle.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2177
Posted on Friday, October 02, 2009 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the kind comments on the puzzle.

Actually in hindsight it was a great day. To be part of the biggest gathering of Irish people in history is something to be proud of i guess. I've always wondered how they sourced all that Communion bread. The company who make it must have had a great year. Don't think if the pope came now there'd be quite as many people there as we Irish seem to have lost the faith somewhat.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: