[cupofsun] A simple puzzle, but it mi... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2009 » [cupofsun] A simple puzzle, but it might take a... « Previous Next »

Cupofsun (Cupofsun)
Username: Cupofsun

Post Number: 111
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 5:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Being an extremely unorganized person, I always have a large pile of clothes in the corner of my room. Today while cleaning, I made my way through this pile. Whenever I picked up a piece of clothing I would smell it. If it smelled like cigarette smoke I would put it in my dresser. If it smelled fresh I would put it in my clothes hamper. What is going on here?
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 694
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 5:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they all your clothes? Are any of them yours?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 5:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they all your clothes? Are any of them yours? Yes, they are all my clothes.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 701
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 6:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does your nose function properly? If they smell like cigarette smoke, have they really been exposed to cigarette smoke?

Is there another relevant person? More than one other person?

Are you HAM? Relevant?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 117
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does your nose function properly? Yes If they smell like cigarette smoke, have they really been exposed to cigarette smoke? Yes

Is there another relevant person?
More than one other person? No to both

Are you HAM? Relevant? Haha, last time I checked I was a Human Adult Male. My girlfriend might find that relevant, other than that, no. =)
Deathateaster (Deathateaster)
Username: Deathateaster

Post Number: 225
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*sniggers childishly*

Do you like the smell of cigarette smoke? Do you dislike a clean smell? Do you need to keep the cigarette smoke smell away from someone/something? Or do you need to put the clean smelling clothes in the wash basket for some reason?

Is there any cigarettes in the room at the time? Have you smoked recently? Did you deliberately make the clothes smell like cigarettes?

Post Number: 227
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops, forgot.

Real life, or imagination?
Ferrets101 (Ferrets101)
Username: Ferrets101

Post Number: 119
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you want people to think you have recently smoked? So by wearing the smoke-stenched clothes, people will believe that?
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 646
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the clean-smelling clothes actually dirtier than the cigarette clothes?

Are the clothes in your dresser somehow going to get washed before those in the hamper?

Post Number: 232
Posted on Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the closet a wash-closet - ie; toilet?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 702
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the cigarette smoke come from the laundromat?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*sniggers childishly* Hmmm... Ok.

Do you like the smell of cigarette smoke? No
Do you dislike a clean smell? No
Do you need to keep the cigarette smoke smell away from someone/something? No
Or do you need to put the clean smelling clothes in the wash basket for some reason? Yes

Is there any cigarettes in the room at the time? Probably
Have you smoked recently? Probably (Recently as to when this puzzle happened? Recently as to right now?)
Did you deliberately make the clothes smell like cigarettes?No, not deliberately.

Oops, forgot.

Real life, or imagination?
Real life.

(Ferrets101)
Do you want people to think you have recently smoked? No
So by wearing the smoke-stenched clothes, people will believe that? No

(Gourami)
Are the clean-smelling clothes actually dirtier than the cigarette clothes? Yes! Gourami, you're just too good.

Are the clothes in your dresser somehow going to get washed before those in the hamper? No

(Deathateaster)
Is the closet a wash-closet - ie; toilet?
I have no idea what closet you're talking about. But... there are no toilets in this puzzle.

(Noel)
Does the cigarette smoke come from the laundromat? No

Post Number: 237
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You wear your cigarette smelling clothes somewhere clean, and the other clothes somewhere dirtier, where you can't smoke, then?
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would it always make sense to do this? Or was it a specific event that made all your clean clothes smell of cigarettes? Will the dresser make the clothes stop smelling somehow? Will the clean-smelling clothes smell of cigarettes after they've been washed and dried?
If you needed some clothes to wear right now, and you could only pick clothes from the pile, would you choose from the clothes that smelled of smoke?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 652
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*blushes* I actually thought Noel had it with his question. It seemed very likely.

Were the cigarette clothes washed recently (in the last week or so)? Have they sat a long time without being washed or worn? Do they smell of smoke from your cigarettes? From someone else's? Do they get this smell during the process of washing?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Deathateaster)
You wear your cigarette smelling clothes somewhere clean, and the other clothes somewhere dirtier, where you can't smoke, then? Too many FA's in this for me to even give an answer.

(Galfisk)
Would it always make sense to do this? Yes
Or was it a specific event that made all your clean clothes smell of cigarettes? No
Will the dresser make the clothes stop smelling somehow? No
Will the clean-smelling clothes smell of cigarettes after they've been washed and dried? FA, but yes, they probably will at some point.
If you needed some clothes to wear right now, and you could only pick clothes from the pile, would you choose from the clothes that smelled of smoke? Yes

(Gourami)
*blushes* I actually thought Noel had it with his question. It seemed very likely. Noel is a great guessed and puzzler, just like you!

Were the cigarette clothes washed recently (in the last week or so)?Yes
Have they sat a long time without being washed or worn?A week sounds good.
Do they smell of smoke from your cigarettes? Yes
From someone else's? This too.
Do they get this smell during the process of washing?No
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)
Username: Ohlala8

Post Number: 425
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you say that some articles of clothing smelled "fresh," do you mean that they smelled clean? Or that they were "ripe"?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 709
Posted on Monday, October 05, 2009 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had the "fresh" smelling clothes been worn since they were last washed? had the clothes that smelled like cigarettes been washed since they were last washed?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Ohlala8)
When you say that some articles of clothing smelled "fresh," do you mean that they smelled clean? Depends on your definition of what "smells clean" is, I suppose
Or that they were "ripe"? No, they smelled "fresh" in the literal sense, no slang.

(Noel)
Had the "fresh" smelling clothes been worn since they were last washed? Yes indeed.
had the clothes that smelled like cigarettes been washed since they were last washed?
I'm guessing you meant "washed since they were last worn", in which case, Yes, they had.
Liquizt (Liquizt)
Username: Liquizt

Post Number: 716
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So far we know that the clothes that have most recently been cleaned smell of smoke and the clothes that were last worn but not cleaned smell fresh. This implies that somehow clothes that smell of smoke end up being worn and start to smell fresher :/

Is the above correct?

Do the clothes that smell like cigarettes acquire their smell before they go in the machine? Whilst being washed? As soon as they're remived from the machine? Sometime in the journey between the machine and your room? Whilst in your room?

Are the clothes that smell like smoke brought directly back to your room after they've been washed? Do they stay in your room until they're next washed/worn?

Do the clothes that smell fresh acquire their smell through the use of some de-odourising spray?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So far we know that the clothes that have most recently been cleaned smell of smoke and the clothes that were last worn but not cleaned smell fresh. This implies that somehow clothes that smell of smoke end up being worn and start to smell fresher :/

Is the above correct? This is all true.

Do the clothes that smell like cigarettes acquire their smell before they go in the machine? Yes
Whilst being washed? No
As soon as they're remived from the machine?No
Sometime in the journey between the machine and your room?No Whilst in your room? Yes

Are the clothes that smell like smoke brought directly back to your room after they've been washed?Yes
Do they stay in your room until they're next washed/worn?Yes

Do the clothes that smell fresh acquire their smell through the use of some de-odourising spray?Yes
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you used the fresh-smelling clothes at work? Relevant? Is your line of work relevant?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you used the fresh-smelling clothes at work? Yes Relevant? Yes Is your line of work relevant? Yesish in a sense.
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, is it true that in your particular situation 'freshness' does not equal 'cleanliness'? Work being relevant, do you work in an industry related to perfumes / detergents / something that can make your work clothes smell 'fresh'?

Do you smoke in the room where the clothes are stored in a pile? Do others? Coming from the washing machine, the clean clothes end up in the same pile as the worn ones? Do you smoke at work?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, is it true that in your particular situation 'freshness' does not equal 'cleanliness'? Yes
Work being relevant, do you work in an industry related to perfumes / detergents / something that can make your work clothes smell 'fresh'? No

Do you smoke in the room where the clothes are stored in a pile? Yes
Do others? Yes
Coming from the washing machine, the clean clothes end up in the same pile as the worn ones? Yes, I know, I'm a mess...
Do you smoke at work? No
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 758
Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you smoke around the dirty ones, but they still smell fresh?

Do you work with chemicals?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 5:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you smoke around the dirty ones, but they still smell fresh? </b> Yes </b>

Do you work with chemicals? No

Just a bit of a clarification, it is only relevant that I wear my clothes to work, hence they are now dirty clothes that need to be washed. Sorry for any confusion. FYI, I work at a psychiatric hospital, which is a bit crazy and surely helps my lateral thinking.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 765
Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you febreeze your clothes before wearing them? Do they come into contact with a relevant chemical while you are wearing them?
Applesbananas (Applesbananas)
Username: Applesbananas

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, October 09, 2009 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you wear smoky clothes to work to test the de-odourizing power of the ...[deodorant, I guess for lack of a better term]... that your company makes? And because your clothes smell fresh when you're done at work, you know that
a- they are dirty because you have worn them to work
b- the product works!
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 132
Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you febreeze your clothes before wearing them? No Do they come into contact with a relevant chemical while you are wearing them? Yes

Do you wear smoky clothes to work to test the de-odourizing power of the ...[deodorant, I guess for lack of a better term]... that your company makes? And because your clothes smell fresh when you're done at work, you know that
a- they are dirty because you have worn them to work
b- the product works! Haha, no, as I said above, I work at a psych hospital, though I like this explanation.

they are dirty because you have worn them to work THIS part of it is correct though...
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 774
Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 3:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the chemical they come into contact with cologne? perfume? Air freshener? Baking soda? A cleaning product? A common household chemical? Something you encounter on your way to work? Something you encounter at work? Something you encounter on your way home from work?
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)
Username: Quovynyte

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you a caretaker?
Are you helping to build/demolish the psych hospital?
Do you purposely put that chemical on your clothes?
Does someone else do it?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 133
Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Noel)
Is the chemical they come into contact with cologne? This perfume? Air freshener? Baking soda? A cleaning product? A common household chemical?

Something you encounter on your way to work? Something you encounter at work? Something you encounter on your way home from work? None of these.

(Quovynyte)
Are you a caretaker? Yes
Are you helping to build/demolish the psych hospital? No
Do you purposely put that chemical on your clothes? Yes
Does someone else do it? Put this chemical on my clothes? No.
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)
Username: Quovynyte

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you put on cologne because you want to smell nice?
is there another reason?
Do you get dirty when you clean the hospital?
Ferrets101 (Ferrets101)
Username: Ferrets101

Post Number: 123
Posted on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to clarify your answer to my question:
Do you want people do believe you have NOT recently smoked? Or are you not trying to make them believe one way or the other (ie this is irrelevant)?
Woubit (Woubit)
Username: Woubit

Post Number: 663
Posted on Sunday, October 11, 2009 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you smoke?
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 441
Posted on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you actually expect that the clothes you are putting in the dresser will still smell of cigarette smoke when you wear them?

If so, is there a positive reason why they should smell of smoke? or do you just not care enough to get rid of the smell?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the clothes smell of smoke before you put the chemical in them?
Are the following statements correct:
- Your clean clothes smell of smoke, because of they way you (dry?) (store?) them.
- You use a cologne to get rid of the smell in your clean clothes (before?) (at?) work
- Your clothes are not subjected to smoke when you work (at least not enough to make them smell), but they get dirty
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you put on cologne because you want to smell nice? Yes
is there another reason? No
Do you get dirty when you clean the hospital? FA, I don't clean the hospital, I am a social worker.

-

Just to clarify your answer to my question:
Do you want people do believe you have NOT recently smoked?Yes
Or are you not trying to make them believe one way or the other (ie this is irrelevant)? No, it is relevant.

-

Do you smoke? Yes

-

Do you actually expect that the clothes you are putting in the dresser will still smell of cigarette smoke when you wear them? Yesish

If so, is there a positive reason why they should smell of smoke? No.
or do you just not care enough to get rid of the smell? Who's to say I don't get rid of the smell?

-

Do the clothes smell of smoke before you put the chemical in them? Yes
Are the following statements correct:
- Your clean clothes smell of smoke, because of they way you (dry?) (store?) them. Store them I suppose
- You use a cologne to get rid of the smell in your clean clothes (before?) (at?) work Yes, before work.
- Your clothes are not subjected to smoke when you work (at least not enough to make them smell), but they get dirty Exactly.

I'm not sure anyone has put it all together yet, but after reading through the questions and answers, it seems like everything has been figured out, so here is your...
****************SPOILER********************

I am a smoker. I smoke in my room. Any clothes in my room (in the dresser or not), smell like smoke. That is EXCEPT the ones I have worn and put cologne on. Whenever I go to work, I make sure to put plenty of cologne on because I work at a hospital where patients are not allowed to smoke and I don't want to trigger cravings for them with the smell of smoke. Hence, all the clothes in my pile that smell like cologne are dirty, and all the ones that only smell of smoke are clean (having only been taken from the washer and left in my room). As for the title, it's a simple puzzle, but it might take a smoker to figure it out! =)
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 687
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice one.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: