[cupofsun] Gravity always wins [Puzzl... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - Feb 2010 » [cupofsun] Gravity always wins [Puzzle + CA Rulebreaker all in one] « Previous Next »

Cupofsun (Cupofsun)
Username: Cupofsun

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok my lovely puzzling folks, I don't know if this will be a moment of brilliance or a total disaster, but there's only one way to find out. This is a lateral puzzle. It is also a CA rulebreaker. Once you crack the rule you will then be allowed to ask any questions you like, disregarding the rule. But until then, any questions you ask which I CAN answer, will be answered truthfully in regards to the lateral puzzle below. The rule itself is also a hint for the puzzle. Also, early spoilers please email cupofsun@gmail.com. Thanks! Let the games begin!

Thom the physicist is at work with some colleagues when he makes the following statement: "Brad Pitt??? Sureeeee. Haha. Prince Charming eyes and apple pie. Oh wait, gravity? YES! Hahahahaha. It makes perfect sense doesn't it? Gravity always wins." Explain.
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)
Username: Quovynyte

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the physicist mad?
Colleagues: Other physicists?
Work = Physics kind of work?
Work = His occupation
Is his occupation a physicist?
The Physicist = HAM
The Colleagues = HAM/F
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 826
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sounds complicated. And interesting! Here goes nothing...

Does gravity = the force of attraction between two objects? Or something else?

Does "Oh wait, gravity? YES! Hahahahaha." mean that...
He has figured out the punchline of a joke?
He has hatched a sinister plan?
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Plastic surgery relevant?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am going to give you one free answer outside of the rule, which is that Thom is a HAM, and his colleagues are HAM's and HAF's. The rest I must answer to my rule until you figure it out, sorry! These are good questions too, but... a rule is a rule.

(Quovynyte)
Is the physicist mad? No, he is a very sane man.
Work = His occupation
The Physicist = HAM
The Colleagues = HAM/F
CA to all others

(Noel)
sounds complicated. And interesting! Here goes nothing... Thanks, I hope it keeps you up nights, mwahahaha. Also, I can't answer this sentence. Never happened.

Does gravity = the force of attraction between two objects? Or something else? CA

Does "Oh wait, gravity? YES! Hahahahaha." mean that...
He has figured out the punchline of a joke? CA
He has hatched a sinister plan? No, it's more like a clever punchline.

(Alhucema)
Plastic surgery relevant? No, they're all beautiful already.
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Colleagues: Some Other physicists?
Work = Physics work?
Work = Occupation
His occupation is a physicist?
Singlewhiteunicorn (Singlewhiteunicorn)
Username: Singlewhiteunicorn

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would this make just as much sense if he said "Tom Cruise???..."
Does what they are working on have anything to do with TV? Movies? Famous actors? famous characters?
Is Thom conducting an experiment?
Is this about/based on an actual physicist?
Does his statement make sense to his colleagues?
Are they working in a lab?
Do his colleagues also laugh?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Quovynyte) I'm not ignoring your questions, but due to the fact that this is a rulebreaker as well as a Lateral Puzzle, I cannot answer any of the below questions, try rephrasing them.
Colleagues: Some Other physicists? CA
Work = Physics work? CA
Work = Occupation CA
His occupation is a physicist? CA

(Singlewhiteunicorn)
Would this make just as much sense if he said "Tom Cruise???..." CA
Does what they are working on have anything to do with TV? CA
Movies? CA
Famous actors? No, but there is a FA in there. Just to warn you.
famous characters? Other than Brad Pitt and Prince Charming, No. And the FA is still here as well, due to the nature of your opening statement.
Is Thom conducting an experiment?CA
Is this about/based on an actual physicist? Yes, but not a famous one at all. It's from my own life.
Does his statement make sense to his colleagues? CA
Are they working in a lab? CA
Do his colleagues also laugh? CA
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, welcome Singlewhiteunicorn, happy to have your first post!
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I have rephrased them!
(And I'll rephrase 'em some more...)
Are his colleagues other physicists?
Does work mean physics work?
Is his work his occupation?
His occupation is, or is a physicist?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 840
Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

rephrasing earlier questions...
Does gravity mean what gravity normally means?
Is gravity a force?
Is "gravity" a force?
As used in the context of this puzzle statement, does "gravity" refer to the force of gravity?
Is the physicist referring to the force that attracts two objects to one another?
Did the physicist refer to the force that attracts two objects to one another?
Does the physicist refer to the force that attracts two objects to one another?

Does "Oh wait, gravity? YES! Hahahahaha." mean that he knows why a joke is funny?
Has he figured out the punchline of a joke?
Has he figured out why a joke is funny?
Is a joke involved?
Is he laughing at a joke?
Is it a funny joke?
Was he laughing at a joke?
Was it a clever punchline?

Is the physicist mad?
Work = His occupation
The Physicist = HAM
The Colleagues = HAM/F
Is the physicist a very sane man?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Quovynyte!
I didn't pay close enough attention to the fact that they were different, but the answers I gave are corrected below as well as your new batch.

(Quovynyte)
Colleagues: Some Other physicists? CA
Work = Physics work? CA
Work = Occupation CA
His occupation is a physicist? CA

Yes, I have rephrased them! CA
(And I'll rephrase 'em some more...) CA
Are his colleagues other physicists? CA
Does work mean physics work? CA
Is his work his occupation? CA
His occupation is, or is a physicist? CA

(Noel)
rephrasing earlier questions...
Does gravity mean what gravity normally means? CA
Is gravity a force? CA
Is "gravity" a force? CA
As used in the context of this puzzle statement, does "gravity" refer to the force of gravity? CA
Is the physicist referring to the force that attracts two objects to one another? CA
Did the physicist refer to the force that attracts two objects to one another? CA
Does the physicist refer to the force that attracts two objects to one another? CA

Does "Oh wait, gravity? YES! Hahahahaha." mean that he knows why a joke is funny? It's more of a realization.
Has he figured out the punchline of a joke? CA
Has he figured out why a joke is funny? No, but he is laughing very hard.
Is a joke involved? CA
Is he laughing at a joke? CA
Is it a funny joke? There's no joke really, but he finds something funny.
Was he laughing at a joke? CA
Was it a clever punchline? Oh yeah, the punchline was clever.

Is the physicist mad? No, the physicist is quite happy.
Colleagues: Other physicists? CA
Work = Physics kind of work? CA
Work = His occupation CA
Is his occupation a physicist? CA
The Physicist = HAM CA
The Colleagues = HAM/F CA
Is the physicist a very sane man? Totally and without a doubt, he is sane.
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)
Username: Ohlala8

Post Number: 484
Posted on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the physicist being sarcastic when he refers to Brad Pitt at first?
Are the concepts of gravity and the oh-so-charming Brad Pitt connected?
Will Pitt be taking a nasty fall in the near future?
Has he already fallen?
Would this work if Brad Pitt weren't attractive?
Does the physicist think apple pie is delicious?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 853
Posted on Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A very sane man is the physicist?
Is it a funny story?
Is it funny?
Is it a funny?
A clever punchline was it?
Punchline clever a it was?
Was it a very clever punchline?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Ohlala8)
Is the physicist being sarcastic when he refers to Brad Pitt at first? Very much so.
Are the concepts of gravity and the oh-so-charming Brad Pitt connected? In the context of this puzzle, yes they are, loosely.
Will Pitt be taking a nasty fall in the near future? CA
Has he already fallen? CA
Would this work if Brad Pitt weren't attractive? No, not as much. Good question.
Does the physicist think apple pie is delicious? He simply loves it.

(Noel)
A very sane man is the physicist? Sane and without a doubt, he is totally. I mean, yes.
Is it a funny story? Yes, I think so.
Is it funny? CA
Is it a funny? CA
A clever punchline was it? Yes, I think so.
Punchline clever a it was? I just told you, didn't I?
Was it a very clever punchline? If you keep building this up Noel, it's going to seem a lot less funny when you finally figure it out.
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)
Username: Ohlala8

Post Number: 490
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hm. I was thinking it was just that he would only answer questions that contained an adjective, but that doesn't seem to be quite it. I should have known it wouldn't be that simple.
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Ohlala8)
***I have a blooper from your last post!*** I'm sorry!
Will Pitt be taking a nasty fall in the near future? I certainly hope not

Hm. I was thinking it was just that he would only answer questions that contained an adjective, but that doesn't seem to be quite it. I should have known it wouldn't be that simple. You are OTRT, but there is a bit more to it, yes.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 871
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sharing thoughts on previous answers to my questions...
I just reasked a bunch of questions that had already been answered to see if changing the wording affected the likelihood of being asked.
- Rearranged the words in the question -- questions were still answered.
- Replaced a noun ("Is it a funny joke?" became "is it a funny story?") - question was still answered
- Left out a noun ("Is it a funny joke?" became "is it a funny?" and "is it funny?") - NOT answered
- Added an adverb ("Was it a very clever punchline") - question still answered.

Thank you Ohlala for noticing the bit about adjective! But, questions without a noun for the adjective to modify were not answered.

So, does it have to have an adjective that modifies a noun to be answered? So far, that matches up with all the previous responses, I think.

Let's give it a try with some previous CA questions...

Does gravity = the strong force of attraction between two objects? Or does gravity have another relevant meaning?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 167
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, does it have to have an adjective that modifies a noun to be answered? So far, that matches up with all the previous responses, I think.
You are again very close and OTRT, but I will re-post a previous question for examination:

Will Pitt be taking a nasty fall in the near future? CA

Does gravity = the strong force of attraction between two objects? Why yes it does.
Or does gravity have another relevant meaning? It means gravity.
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 168
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2009 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

********** NEVER MIND ************
AHHHHH, I'm going crazy with this puzzle, please ignore my above post. The "Will Pitt be taking a nasty fall in the near future?" answer is still: I certainly hope not

(Noel)
Does gravity = the strong force of attraction between two objects? Why yes it does.
Or does gravity have another relevant meaning? It means gravity.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 897
Posted on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forgive me if I re-ask any questions you've already answered.

Are the colleagues also scholarly physicists?
Work = scientific physics research?
Work = His regular occupation?

Does gravity have to do with the sagging cheeks that come with aging?
Does gravity have to do with the clumsy balance that leads to falling?
Has Brad Pitt taken a nasty fall?

Would this make just as much sense if he had referred to the handsome Tom Cruise instead of Brad Pitt ?
Does what they are working on have anything to do with an electronic television set?
Does what they are working on have anything to do with the big screen (i.e. movies)?
Is Thom conducting a scientific experiment?
Does his statement make sense to his professional colleagues?
Are they working in a scientific lab?
Do his colleagues laugh at the funny punchline? Do they think the story is funny?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forgive me if I re-ask any questions you've already answered. Forgiven, as long as you forgive me for my silly bloopers!

Are the colleagues also scholarly physicists? Yes, but really, irr.
Work = scientific physics research? Yes
Work = His regular occupation? Yes

Does gravity have to do with the sagging cheeks that come with aging?Not in this puzzle.
Does gravity have to do with the clumsy balance that leads to falling?That's the gravity we're taking about.
Has Brad Pitt taken a nasty fall?No.

Would this make just as much sense if he had referred to the handsome Tom Cruise instead of Brad Pitt ?Yes.
Does what they are working on have anything to do with an electronic television set?No
Does what they are working on have anything to do with the big screen (i.e. movies)?No
Is Thom conducting a scientific experiment? No
Does his statement make sense to his professional colleagues?Yes
Are they working in a scientific lab?Yes, but beware of possible FA's.
Do his colleagues laugh at the funny punchline? Yes they do.
Do they think the story is funny?Yes, but beware of FA's here too.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 899
Posted on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they think the story is funny for the same reason that he thinks it's funny?

Does "prince charming eyes and apple pie" refer to Brad Pitt? Does the above quote refer to the fact that Brad Pitt is nice looking and is an American icon?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 903
Posted on Monday, October 19, 2009 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

also, to clarify (due to the bloopers)...we're still trying to figure out the whole rule, right? It's more than just that the question has to contain an adjective modifying a noun?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they think the story is funny for the same reason that he thinks it's funny? CA

Does "prince charming eyes and apple pie" refer to Brad Pitt? No, they are separate things.
Does the above quote refer to the fact that Brad Pitt is nice looking and is an American icon? CA

also, to clarify (due to the bloopers)...we're still trying to figure out the whole rule, right? It's more than just that the question has to contain an adjective modifying a noun? Yes, (sorry about the bloopers)it's a bit more than that, I'm going to give you two of my own sentences to make up for confusing people:

Funny as is Thom but not apple pie eyes or Brad Pitt: I can answer this.
Thom is funny but not the gorgeous Brad Pitt CA
Probably_monty_hall (Probably_monty_hall)
Username: Probably_monty_hall

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are we talking about the Brad Pitt who lives with the beautiful Angelina Jolie?
Are we talking about the handsome Brad Pitt who lives with the beautiful Angelina Jolie?
Are we talking about the handsome Brad Pitt who lives with Angelina Jolie?
Are we talking about handsome Brad Pitt?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 917
Posted on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thom is funny but not apple pie eyes or Brad Pitt?
Thom is funny but gorgeous Brad Pitt is not?
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)

Post Number: 261
Posted on Friday, October 23, 2009 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The gorgeous Brad Pitt is not funny?
The gorgeous Brad Pitt is not funny although Thom is?
The gorgeous Brad Pitt is not funny although Thom is funny?
Brad Pitt is not funny?
Brad Pitt is not funny although Thom is?
Brad Pitt is not funny although Thom is funny?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 176
Posted on Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Probably_monty_hall)
Are we talking about the Brad Pitt who lives with the beautiful Angelina Jolie? Yes
Are we talking about the handsome Brad Pitt who lives with the beautiful Angelina Jolie? CA
Are we talking about the handsome Brad Pitt who lives with Angelina Jolie? Yes
Are we talking about handsome Brad Pitt? Yes

(Noel)
Thom is funny but not apple pie eyes or Brad Pitt? Sure
Thom is funny but gorgeous Brad Pitt is not? CA

(Quovynyte)
The gorgeous Brad Pitt is not funny? CA
The gorgeous Brad Pitt is not funny although Thom is? CA
The gorgeous Brad Pitt is not funny although Thom is funny? CA
Brad Pitt is not funny? I think he is.
Brad Pitt is not funny although Thom is? I guess they both are at times.
Brad Pitt is not funny although Thom is funny? CA

You guys will probably have it after this set of questions I would guess... and then onto the puzzle at hand!
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 988
Posted on Monday, October 26, 2009 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

for the most part, it seems like you can't have two adjectives.

The only one that doesn't fit that is "Thom is funny but not apple pie eyes or Brad Pitt?" which you answered in spite of the fact that it includes both Thom->funny and eyes->"apple pie" (or pie->apple?). But, as apple pie isn't normally an adjective, you might not be counting it as one.

So...Is that it? Does it have to have one(and only one) adjective modifying a noun to be answerable?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

for the most part, it seems like you can't have two adjectives.

The only one that doesn't fit that is "Thom is funny but not apple pie eyes or Brad Pitt?" which you answered in spite of the fact that it includes both Thom->funny and eyes->"apple pie" (or pie->apple?). But, as apple pie isn't normally an adjective, you might not be counting it as one.

So...Is that it? Does it have to have one(and only one) adjective modifying a noun to be answerable?

Yes, that is it! I did not count "apple pie" as an adjective, because in the context of this puzzle it is not describing the eyes. (That is a hint). Also, the adjective doesn't need to modify the noun, it can be anywhere in the sentence.

Good job!

Now any questions may be asked, you don't need to follow the rule at all. But the rule is relevant. One adjective. Many nouns.
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 298
Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he making a joke about a person?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he making a joke about a person? Noish
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, right, it's prince charming eyes, not apple pie eyes. My mistake.

Does "apple pie refer" to something being very stereotypically American (i.e. "as American as apple pie")? Does it actually refer to the desert?

Does "Prince Charming eyes" actually refer to prince charming's eyes? Is it describing someone's eyes as charming/seductive? Is it referring to a Disney movie?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 182
Posted on Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, right, it's prince charming eyes, not apple pie eyes. My mistake. It's actually not Prince Charming eyes either, as in, it's not a description of the eyes.

Does "apple pie refer" to something being very stereotypically American (i.e. "as American as apple pie")? No Does it actually refer to the desert?Yes

Does "Prince Charming eyes" actually refer to prince charming's eyes? No, FA. Is it describing someone's eyes as charming/seductive? No, FA Is it referring to a Disney movie?No, FA
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "eyes" a noun? Or a verb?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 183
Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "eyes" a noun? This Or a verb? Not this
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Human eyes? potato eyes? animal eyes? fake eyes?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Human eyes? potato eyes? animal eyes? fake eyes? Eyes. As in... Eyes. No specific kind of eyes is meant in his statement.
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)

Post Number: 509
Posted on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Prince Charming HAM alive and breathing?
Is Brad Pitt?
Are these real people? Drawings? Characters?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the word "eyes" relevant rather than the meaning? Such as the fact that it rhymes with "I's"?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 193
Posted on Friday, November 13, 2009 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Prince Charming HAM alive and breathing? Noish
Is Brad Pitt? Yes
Are these real people?
Drawings?
Characters? This is closest

Is the word "eyes" relevant rather than the meaning? No, it's meaning is the only relevant thing.
Such as the fact that it rhymes with "I's"? So, no
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)

Post Number: 548
Posted on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Characters from a book? Film? Play?
Mascots? Statues?

The contents of an eye relevant? The pupil? Iris? Retina? The blind spot? Other?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 199
Posted on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Characters from a book?
Film?
Play?
Mascots?
Statues?
Brad Pitt is a real person, Prince Charming I'm guessing is from books or film, not sure exactly what you're asking here.

The contents of an eye relevant?
The pupil?
Iris?
Retina?
The blind spot?
Other?
None, just "Eyes", and they aren't that relevant at all. To get this puzzle moving, I'd suggest focusing on the situation as a whole, rather than the individual words in the statement he makes.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 575
Posted on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he talking about a person? Is what he's saying a response to something someone else said? Does he say everything at once? Or is it a conversation of which we only hear one half?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 201
Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry I've been away for so long, things came up, life is hectic, insert LTPF list of excuses here...

Is he talking about a person? He's talking about many things
Is what he's saying a response to something someone else said? Noish
Does he say everything at once? Yes
Or is it a conversation of which we only hear one half? This is closer, but not exactly what's going on.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 871
Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he watching/reading/listening to something? And what he says is a response to what he's just seen/read/heard?
Is he watching a cartoon? Is it relevant that he is at work? Is his work as a physicist relevant?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he watching/reading This /listening to something?
And what he says is a response to what he's just seen/read/heard? Part of what he says is a response.
Is he watching a cartoon? No
Is it relevant that he is at work? No
Is his work as a physicist relevant? No
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 911
Posted on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he reading: a funny story? Nonsensical story? Something serious? A newspaper? A comic? Is he also looking at picture(s)?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 205
Posted on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he reading: a funny story? Nonsensical story? Something serious? A newspaper? A comic? Is he also looking at picture(s)? No to all. Slight hint to avoid FA's: he is reading off of many things.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he reading headlines? Book titles? A list ranking something? A list organizing something?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, I'm trying to keep track of the rule, too. One adjective, many nouns. Is the adjective a description of what the things in the puzzle statement (eyes, apple pie, prince charming, brad pitt, gravity) have in common in some way?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 217
Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Noel)
Is he reading headlines? Book titles? A list ranking something? A list organizing something? None of these, but good questions

Also, I'm trying to keep track of the rule, too. One adjective, many nouns. Is the adjective a description of what the things in the puzzle statement (eyes, apple pie, prince charming, brad pitt, gravity) have in common in some way? Yes, the adjective is what they all have in common, and the "rule" is very relevant to what he is saying and why.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he reading: titles of something? names of something?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 224
Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he reading: titles of something? names of something? No with a slight ish on "names of something" since Brad Pitt would be his name.
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 234
Posted on Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am $POILING this puzzle because it is long overdue and I sick of looking at it and no one's asking questions.

The first part was a rulebreaker, and the answer was that the question could have one adjective and many nouns. That was a clue to the puzzle, which is about Thom the physicist and his co-workers. They are at work on their lunch break playing the very wonderful game "Apples to Apples" in which one player plays an adjective and the other players play nouns from their hands trying to match the adjective. Their noun answers are then judged by the player who played the adjective to pick a winner. Thom plays the adjective "irresistible". The co-workers throw in their many answers: "Brad Pitt", "Prince Charming", "Eyes", and "Apple Pies", all things that one might find irresistible. Thom is reading these aloud one at a time when he comes to the last card which says "Gravity", which is certainly IRRESISTIBLE. Being a physicist, he gets a good laugh and makes the statement "It makes perfect sense doesn't it? Gravity always wins."

Also Gourami, I didn't know if you got my musical reference... but "Thom" Yorke (from Radiohead) has a wonderful song called "Fake plastic trees", which features the line "gravity always wins..."
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1601
Posted on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 3:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, it makes so much sense now! Funny, and a great idea for a puzzle. Sorry I wasn't answering questions...I didn't see that you had answered my previous question back in January. But thanks for the puzzle!
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1602
Posted on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 3:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And of course that should have been "asking" not "answering"

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: