[Noobdogg] Not a shred of doubt Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2009 » [Noobdogg] Not a shred of doubt « Previous Next »

Noobdogg (Noobdogg)
Username: Noobdogg

Post Number: 209
Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brad went to his school reunion to meet his old friends. While he was there, he spotted a familiar face - the bully who made his life miserable in middle school. He walked up to the man, shook his hand and said, "I've got to thank you. If it wasn't for you, my wife wouldn't be alive today."

Explain.
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the bully a doctor? Is his profession relevant?

Did the bully save Brad's wife? If so, directly? Indirectly?

Did Brad learn something from the bully what helped him to save his wife?

Did Brad/his wife interact with the bully after the middle school?

Had Brad's wife ever seen/been in contact with the bully?
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)
Username: Quovynyte

Post Number: 457
Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the bully know that before Brad told him?
Did the Bully bully Brad? Direcetly? Indirectly? Relevant how he was bullied?
Is Brad's profession relevant? His wife's?
If the bully hadn't existed, would Brad's wife be dead? By an accident? Disease?
Would this puzzle work if Brad hadn't shaken his bully's hand?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 210
Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

@Alhucema:

Was the bully a doctor? IRR Is his profession relevant? No

Did the bully save Brad's wife? No If so, directly? Indirectly? Well there is obviously some link - depends on how far you're willing to go with "indirect" ;-)

Did Brad learn something from the bully what helped him to save his wife? No, beware FA.

Did Brad/his wife interact with the bully after the middle school? No

Had Brad's wife ever seen/been in contact with the bully? No

@Quovynyte

Did the bully know that before Brad told him? No
Did the Bully bully Brad? Direcetly? Yes Indirectly? Relevant how he was bullied? A bit, explore.
Is Brad's profession relevant? No His wife's? No
If the bully hadn't existed, would Brad's wife be dead? Possibly By an accident? Yesish Disease?
Would this puzzle work if Brad hadn't shaken his bully's hand? Rephrase.
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)

Post Number: 461
Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone else relevant in this?
Is Brad and the Bully both HAMs Alive and Breathing?
Is Brad's wife HAF Alive and Breathing?
Was Brad's Wife ever in any danger?
Did she know that the Bully had very indirectly saved her life?
Did she know that she was in any danger of dying?
Would the accident have been a vehicle accident? Impact?
Was Brad's wife in the same school as both the Bully and Brad?
Was both the Bully and Brad students?
A subject relevant?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 1698
Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Brad learn something relevant because of the bully (a martial art, for example)?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 211
Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

@Quovynyte
Anyone else relevant in this? Not particularly.
Is Brad and the Bully both HAMs Alive and Breathing? Yes
Is Brad's wife HAF Alive and Breathing? Yes
Was Brad's Wife ever in any danger? She would have been.
Did she know that the Bully had very indirectly saved her life? Brad might've informed her too, IRR
Did she know that she was in any danger of dying? Not before, no
Would the accident have been a vehicle accident? Impact? Neither
Was Brad's wife in the same school as both the Bully and Brad? No, IRR
Was both the Bully and Brad students? Yes
A subject relevant? Care to elaborate?

@Jen
Did Brad learn something relevant because of the bully (a martial art, for example)? Not this but completely OTRT!! Brilliant as usual Jen :-)
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)
Username: Yojimbo

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I killed off a bully from my own traumatic middle school years in a short story -- emotionally cathartic, and he's had no psychological power over me since (highly recommended). Had the story been a commercial success, movie options, all that, I could have afforded chemotherapy for my wife (who's fine, in the next room)... anything like that?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 214
Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

@Yojimbo

I killed off a bully from my own traumatic middle school years in a short story -- emotionally cathartic, and he's had no psychological power over me since (highly recommended). Had the story been a commercial success, movie options, all that, I could have afforded chemotherapy for my wife (who's fine, in the next room)... anything like that? Very cool idea, probably cooler than what I have in mind :-)
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)

Post Number: 462
Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did brad learn something/improve something?
To fend himself?
Did the bully make him do it?
Did someone else advise him to do it?
Is a habit relevant?
Is honing something relevant (ie everytime the bully was near he began to sense it and after a few years he could sense trouble)?
Reactions relevant?
Reflexes?
Skills?
Training?
PE/Sport relevant?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 215
Posted on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

@Quovynyte

Did brad learn something/improve something? Yesish to both
To fend himself? This was the motive but beware FA
Did the bully make him do it? Coerce him to? No.
Did someone else advise him to do it? No
Is a habit relevant? Not really
Is honing something relevant (ie everytime the bully was near he began to sense it and after a few years he could sense trouble)? Not this
Reactions relevant? No
Reflexes? No
Skills? Yes for svv of skill
Training? Yes, this would be required
PE/Sport relevant? PE is relevant, svv of Sport is also relevant, good job!
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)

Post Number: 483
Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are coaches/teachers relevant?(what does svv mean? (Something like Specific Value?)
Gymnastics relevant?
Athletics?
Did Brad get training?
In a specific thing?
Did he get it outside of school?
In school?
Uniforms relevant?
Equipment relevant?
Racing relevant?
Competing?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 216
Posted on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

@Quovynyte

Are coaches/teachers relevant? No (what does svv mean? (Something like Specific Value?)

SVV is a term coined by Woubit. In his words:

quote:

Everyone asks it sooner or later, and since it was my fault for inventing the term, it is my duty to explain it. "svv" stands for "sufficiently vague values", a variation on the mathematical term "slv" for "sufficiently large values" (as in "2 + 2 = 5 for slv of 2"). It means that the term you have used is not wrong, but not precisely correct, and that exploration might help.

Gymnastics relevant? No
Athletics? No
Did Brad get training? Possibly
In a specific thing? Not necessarily, but only one particular thing is relevant
Did he get it outside of school? IRR
In school? IRR
Uniforms relevant? No
Equipment relevant? No
Racing relevant? No
Competing? He may have competed at some point
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 465
Posted on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Brad directly save his wife's life?
First aid relevant? Rescue? Self defense? Use of a weapon? Did he hurt someone to save his wife? Was his intention to be able to hurt the bully, if neccessary? Or to defend himself without violence? Did he exercise to become stronger, and because he was strong he was able to save his wife?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 217
Posted on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

@Galfisk

Did Brad directly save his wife's life? No
First aid relevant? Rescue? Self defense? Use of a weapon? Did he hurt someone to save his wife? No to all Was his intention to be able to hurt the bully, if neccessary? No Or to defend himself without violence? Did he exercise to become stronger, Yes! and because he was strong he was able to save his wife? Indirectly.

Good job! Now the puzzle is as follows:

Having been severely bullied as a child, Brad spent a lot of time working out and getting stronger. BONUS: Being a strong guy, he honed his skills in several ways and occasionally showed them off with feats of strength. One of these resulted in his wife's life being (indirectly) saved.
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)

Post Number: 500
Posted on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he use his skills to impress people? Girls?
Was his wife awed by his strength?
Did he perform an act of strength in public?
Did he save someone's life?
Did he protect something/someone?
Bridges relevant?
Disasters relevant?
Natural disasters?
If so,
Tsunamis?
Earthquakes?
Hurricanes?
Tornadoes?
Volcanoes?
Flooding?
Other?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 218
Posted on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he use his skills to impress people? Girls?
Was his wife awed by his strength?
Did he perform an act of strength in public?
Did he save someone's life?
Did he protect something/someone?
Bridges relevant?
Disasters relevant?
Natural disasters?
If so,
Tsunamis?
Earthquakes?
Hurricanes?
Tornadoes?
Volcanoes?
Flooding?
Other? No to all
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"..honed his skills in several ways..."
Solo skills?
martial or other physical art (T'ai Chi doesn't seem particularly martial; no doubt there are others)?
Charles Atlas relevant?
Feats of strength: like Highland-games type stuff? Tossing heavy things, bending steel bars?
Lifting heavy things?
When he indirectly saved his wife, was she his wife? was she present at the relevant event? or was she in a cause-and-effect chain, and his action in the event eventually led to her being saved?
was he trying to save someone's life, or save someone from harm, when he utilized his brawn (and skills) in "the event?"
Are either Brad or his wife aware that he (indirectly) saved her life?
Is saving lives just something Brad does?
Is he an EMT (emergency medical tech)?
Is he a superhero?
Brad's showing off feats of strength: constructive ways, as in lifting pianos onto trucks, or recreational, like lifting dead weights and setting them back down? or bending steel bars, just to bend them?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

@Yojimbo

"..honed his skills in several ways..."
Solo skills?
martial or other physical art (T'ai Chi doesn't seem particularly martial; no doubt there are others)? Could be any or all of these. What matters is Brad is strong and occasionally displays / practices feats of strength. One such feat is relevant.
Charles Atlas relevant? Nope
Feats of strength: like Highland-games type stuff? Tossing heavy things, bending steel bars?
Lifting heavy things? Yes he could have been involved in any or all of these, however none of these are the feat that is relevant.
When he indirectly saved his wife, was she his wife? Yes was she present at the relevant event? If you meant the event of him performing the feat of strength - no or was she in a cause-and-effect chain, and his action in the event eventually led to her being saved? This is true.
was he trying to save someone's life, or save someone from harm, when he utilized his brawn (and skills) in "the event?" Not at all
Are either Brad or his wife aware that he (indirectly) saved her life? Yes, which is why he thanked the bully (for pushing him to get stronger, leading to the feat of strength, leading to the lifesaving)
Is saving lives just something Brad does?
Is he an EMT (emergency medical tech)?
Is he a superhero? No to all
Brad's showing off feats of strength: constructive ways, as in lifting pianos onto trucks, or recreational, like lifting dead weights and setting them back down? There's only one relevant feat. Not any of these... or bending steel bars, just to bend them? but this one is OTRT.

Very good questions...
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, November 13, 2009 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks, but at least one of my Qs was a "duh.." :]
the feat:
was Brad pushing/pulling/lifting/wrestling/stretching/balancing something?
assume this is something he does now and then; correct? if so, some other condition enabled it to be an indirect lifesaver? otherwise, no big deal other than, "Wow, Brad sure is strong." special that way, that one time?
automobile involved?
[a friend claims that he used to turn VWs sideways in their parking spaces in parking lots, by himself, for kicks - with a couple of mental leaps, I can see such an odd feat preventing his wife from getting in the now-sideways car (don't ask me why he turned her car, maybe it was dark and he couldn't tell)][I've scouted around this forum and I've seen some strange stuff!]
Brad's feat: a useful thing, but done for show in Brad's case? or not useful, as bent steel might not be useful... relevant?
did Brad's feat enable/disable something?
after Brad exerted his strength on some thing (unless it was totally isometric...), was the thing left as it was before his feat? or moved/altered in some relevant way?
did this happen at Brad's home? was the life-imperiling episode with Brad's wife at the same place where his feat of strength happened?
Brad didn't perform his act of strength in public - but did anyone see him?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 228
Posted on Friday, November 13, 2009 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

@Yojimbo

thanks, but at least one of my Qs was a "duh.." :] Hehe, not at all, you either ruled out stuff or opened up possibilities!
the feat:
was Brad pushing/pulling/lifting/wrestling/stretching/balancing something? None of these
assume this is something he does now and then; correct? Yeah he has done it before if so, some other condition enabled it to be an indirect lifesaver? Rephrase otherwise, no big deal other than, "Wow, Brad sure is strong." special that way, that one time? Yeah the feat was just as it had been done before, nothing unique about the feat itself, however as a consequence of it...
automobile involved? No
[a friend claims that he used to turn VWs sideways in their parking spaces in parking lots, by himself, for kicks - with a couple of mental leaps, I can see such an odd feat preventing his wife from getting in the now-sideways car (don't ask me why he turned her car, maybe it was dark and he couldn't tell)][I've scouted around this forum and I've seen some strange stuff!] Haha how ebil! Nah Brad's feat wouldn't really count as a prank.
Brad's feat: a useful thing, but done for show in Brad's case? or not useful, as bent steel might not be useful... relevant? The latter yes, relevant if it helps you pinpoint the feat :-)
did Brad's feat enable/disable something? For svv of disable, yes
after Brad exerted his strength on some thing (unless it was totally isometric...), was the thing left as it was before his feat? No or moved/altered in some relevant way? Yes for svv of moved/altered
did this happen at Brad's home? Yes was the life-imperiling episode with Brad's wife at the same place where his feat of strength happened? No, good question
Brad didn't perform his act of strength in public - but did anyone see him? No
Tommyp (Tommyp)
Username: Tommyp

Post Number: 526
Posted on Friday, November 13, 2009 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Brad rescue his wife from a situation? or prevent that situation to happen? ...like the guy that should have mugged and murdered her got second thoughts when he saw Brad whom he knew would "kick his ass"?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 230
Posted on Friday, November 13, 2009 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Brad rescue his wife from a situation? No or prevent that situation to happen? Yope ...like the guy that should have mugged and murdered her got second thoughts when he saw Brad whom he knew would "kick his ass"? Nothing like this.
Probably_monty_hall (Probably_monty_hall)
Username: Probably_monty_hall

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, November 13, 2009 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about something like ripping a phone book in half? Blowing up a hot water bag? One of those things that strongmen do in shows? OTRT?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, November 13, 2009 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about something like ripping a phone book in half? Exactly this! Brilliant :-) Blowing up a hot water bag? One of those things that strongmen do in shows? OTRT?

There we have it: Brad's ripping a phone book in half resulted in his wife's life being saved.

Care to finish it off?

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, November 13, 2009 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow! This takes me back to those motivational speakers that used to come to my Jr. High! I have no idea what their message was, but they sure were strong :0)

So Brad ripped up the phone book at home, right? Was it the family phone book? As in the only one at home? Did doing so prevent his wife from being able to make a fateful phone call?

Ok, I have to ask: Is anything that I typed in italics above relevant?

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, November 13, 2009 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just had another idea:

Is it relevant that people sometimes use phonebooks to boost them up (either in a seat or maybe on a stool)?

Perhaps Brad's wife is a dwarf/little person who usually sits on the phone book to be able to drive. Because Brad disposed of the phone book, she was unable to drive and avoided a crash that occurred along her route?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 233
Posted on Friday, November 13, 2009 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow! This takes me back to those motivational speakers that used to come to my Jr. High! I have no idea what their message was, but they sure were strong :0) You mean they were strongmen AND motivational speakers?! That's pretty cool, lol. Nah this has nothin to do with the puzzle though :-)

So Brad ripped up the phone book at home, right? Yes Was it the family phone book? Yes As in the only one at home? Yes! Good question. Did doing so prevent his wife from being able to make a fateful phone call? Indeeedd

And that is more than close enough for a short and sweet

********SPOILER**********

As a result of being bullied as a young boy, Brad ended up working out and becoming very strong indeed. He would occasionally display feats of strength which he would practice at home, one of which was tearing a phone book apart.

His wife was headed to an art gallery event that evening, and needed the phonebook to call up and RSVP. However Brad's brawn beat her to it and she was too late to secure an invitation, so couldn't go.

This was rather fortunate though, because the art gallery was bombed that very night, and if she had been there, she would have been killed, without a shred of doubt...

Thanks were of course due to the bully!

Hope you enjoyed this little puzzle, and thanks for playing along! :-)
Tommyp (Tommyp)
Username: Tommyp

Post Number: 532
Posted on Friday, November 13, 2009 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahh, Butterfly Effect IV!
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)

Post Number: 530
Posted on Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahh, great puzzle!
I don't get how she was late for the invitation though. Can you explain it to me pleeeease?
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 234
Posted on Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm imagining that she was supposed to call up in order to reserve an invitation; perhaps there were a limited amount.

However in retrospect I suppose there are other more plausible situations that could have been more apt as the rather tangential subplot of how she would have died. Choose your own ending!

In my defense I didn't really waste too much time on that part of the puzzle :-D
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 760
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent puzzle, I'm sorry I didn't get in on it earlier. I love the types that require puzzlers to follow a long string of causes and effects: in fact, we could call these "Butterfly Puzzles" if we so chose. However, the host would probably not want to reveal right away that it was, in fact, a Butterfly puzzle.

Sorry, I like labeling things.
Noobdogg (Noobdogg)

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks!
I find these kind of puzzles to be more akin to the classic lateral puzzles, since the statement tends to cover enough of the groundwork for the questions to be mostly lateral leaps rather than LTPF lists and other mundane pursuits.

They do sometimes end up being rather contrived though; a line I'm treading on and trying not to cross :-D

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: