[Noel] One-upmanship (camouflaged rul... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - Jan 2010 » [Noel] One-upmanship (camouflaged rulebreaker) « Previous Next »

Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something happened. Someone was involved. And there was a result, which may have been unexpected.

I may be insane for posting another one of these. =) But we'll see. The idea of a camouflaged rulebreaker is that you ask questions as you would for a normal puzzle statement. I use a rule to determine how I will answer them. Your task is to guess the rule.

I should warn you that there will almost definitely be some CA answers in this one, but it is not a CA rulebreaker.
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)
Username: Yojimbo

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are you insane?!
did something happen?
was someone involved?
might the result have been unexpected?
was someone a HAM?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are you insane?! irrel
did something happen? yes
was someone involved? yes
might the result have been unexpected? I think it was unexpected, but I don't know for sure.
was someone a HAM? someone was, yes.
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)
Username: Quovynyte

Post Number: 627
Posted on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tut tut tut, you forgot your name.

Any people involved?
Era/Location/Profession relevant?
Animals/Food/Clothing/Other tangible objects relevant?
Sport/Elections/Wars relevant?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tut tut tut, you forgot your name. drat. Sorry mods. Can someone please fix it?

Any people involved? yes
Era/Location/Profession relevant? yes to all
Animals/Food/Other tangible objects relevant? No
Clothing relevant? CA
Sport/Elections/Wars relevant? No
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

time/era/location relevant?
did something happen by accident?
other people involved? HAM? HAF? more than 1? than 2? than 5? than 10? than 50? than 100? than 1000? than 10,000? than 1,000,000? than 1,000,000,000?
fine dining relevant?
is the involved someone a HAM?
was the result bad for the involved someone? good?
did the involved someone anticipate the result? enjoy it? expect it? plan for it? regret it?
did the something that happened [the event] involve damage to property? to people? to plants? to animals? to other?
was [the event] witnessed (heard? seen? read about? touched? tasted? felt?)?
was the outcome of [the event] positive for everyone? negative?
positive for some, negative for others?
positive/negative for the involved someone?
was the nature of [the event] political? artistic? sports-related?
Quovynyte (Quovynyte)
Username: Quovynyte

Post Number: 636
Posted on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

time/era/location relevant?
did something happen by accident?
other people involved? HAM? HAF? more than 1? than 2? than 5? than 10? than 50? than 100? than 1000? than 10,000? than 1,000,000? than 1,000,000,000?
fine dining relevant?
is the involved someone a HAM?
was the result bad for the involved someone? good?
did the involved someone anticipate the result? enjoy it? expect it? plan for it? regret it?
did the something that happened [the event] involve damage to property? to people? to plants? to animals? to other?
was [the event] witnessed (heard? seen? read about? touched? tasted? felt?)?
was the outcome of [the event] positive for everyone? negative?
positive for some, negative for others?
positive/negative for the involved someone?
was the nature of [the event] political? artistic? sports-related?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MODERATOR: Thank you for adding a name to the title of this puzzle. Unfortunately, the puzzle is mine, not Quovynyte's. Can someone please make the correction? Thanks!
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

time/era/location relevant? Yes to era and location. Not sure what you mean by time, but I think the answer to that is probably no.
did something happen by accident? Hard to answer. I don't think it was on purpose, but I wouldn't really call it an accident. More like a consequence.
other people involved? yes HAM? H-yope, A-yes, M-yes HAF? yes more than 1? than 2? than 5? than 10? than 50? than 100? than 1000? than 10,000? than 1,000,000? than 1,000,000,000? 1 directly relevant, 1 (the HAF) less directly relevant, and many others tangentially. The "many others" don't really matter.
fine dining relevant? yesish, for svv of "dining"
is the involved someone a HAM? There are 3 someones involved. A HAM, a HAF, and a H(yope)AM.
was the result bad for the involved someone? for the HAF, some might call it bad. CA for the two males good?
did the involved someone anticipate the result? HAF - no. It was unexpected enjoy it? CA expect it? no plan for it? no regret it?perhaps CA for the two males
did the something that happened [the event] involve damage to property? to people? to plants? to animals? to other? These are getting hard to answer. To clarify, something happened (you've called it "the event," so we'll stick with that, although event is maybe not the best word.), which led to something else happening (the consequence). The consequence was unexpected, and it is closest to say that it happened to people. The event also happened to people.
was [the event] witnessed (heard? seen? read about? these three touched? tasted? felt?)? not these three
was the outcome of [the event] positive for everyone? negative? CA
positive for some, negative for others? CA
positive/negative for the involved someone? CA
was the nature of [the event] political? no artistic? yesish sports-related? no

same answers for the repeated questions
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

***you might be interested to know the following:***

time/era/location relevant? modern era. location is relevant
did something happen by accident? definitely not
other people involved? HAM? HAF? more than 1? than 2? than 5? than 10? than 50? than 100? than 1000? than 10,000? than 1,000,000? than 1,000,000,000? there are a total of 2 people directly involved. One HAM and One HAF. A handful of others are indirectly involved
fine dining relevant? no
was the result bad for the involved someone? = the HAF yes good? and yes, in a way
did the involved someone anticipate the result? yes enjoy it? no expect it? yes plan for it? yes regret it? no one knows

did the something that happened [the event] involve damage to property? to people? this one to plants? to animals? to other?

was [the event] witnessed (heard? seen? read about? touched? tasted? felt?)? not sure. Definitely felt. Not sure if anyone else was there to see or hear it

was the outcome of [the event] positive for everyone? no negative? yope
positive for some, negative for others? yesish
positive/negative for the involved someone? positive in one way, negative in another
was the nature of [the event] political? artistic? sports-related? none of the above. medical
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1418
Posted on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

****You might be interested to know that as of yesterday, regular questions posted to this puzzle are now nearly impossible to answer. If you can tell me why, you've solved the puzzle. If no one figures it out by the end of the year, and the situation hasn't changed, I'll $poil. But I do want to give you a chance to figure it out, first. Questions about the rule are allowed.
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 247
Posted on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sorry I haven't dropped by -- and you've been posting to my puzzle; I should at least reciprocate... but rulebreakers look just a bit too challenging for my feeble powers of insight, often...
Was 16 December relevant as a question cut-off because of the date? something about the numbers used to render it? or was it 17 December, or perhaps 15 December (don't know if your time zone is very distant from the one in which the LTPF is hosted, if you see what I mean...)?
is some event on that date relevant?
here's a situation question, for kicks:
Was the event an earthquake or other geological cataclysm?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sorry I haven't dropped by -- and you've been posting to my puzzle; I should at least reciprocate... but rulebreakers look just a bit too challenging for my feeble powers of insight, often... Thanks for stopping by now. I think this one is on the easy end of rulebreakers (considerably easier than my last one), in spite of yesterday's unexpected turn of events.

Was 16 December relevant as a question cut-off because of the date? no something about the numbers used to render it? no or was it 17 December, or perhaps 15 December (don't know if your time zone is very distant from the one in which the LTPF is hosted, if you see what I mean...the time zone of relevance is exactly the same as the one in which the LTPF is hosted)?
is some event on that date relevant? yes
here's a situation question, for kicks:
Was the event an earthquake or other geological cataclysm? CA, I'm afraid. In fact, there isn't a single situational question from Yojimbo that I can answer at this time.
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 256
Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was yesterday's unexpected turn of events actually unexpected? or did you see it coming all along?
did something happen yesterday on the LTPF that's relevant? in the world at large?
was it a surprise? was there foreknowledge?
was it a good thing, the event on that date? would most people think so?
will you be able to answer situational questions from me at another time? from another puzzler now? from another puzzler another time?
any of the posting meta-data (date of post, time, number of user's posts) relevant?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Friday, December 18, 2009 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was yesterday's unexpected turn of events actually unexpected? or did you see it coming all along? How to answer this...hmm. Ok, the action that occurred was not unexpected. The result was completely unexpected by me.
did something happen yesterday on the LTPF that's relevant? this one in the world at large?
was it a surprise? yes and no...see above was there foreknowledge? see above
was it a good thing, the event on that date? I think so. And to save you from asking, in this case, good = helpful would most people think so? I would think yes, for svv of "most people"
will you be able to answer situational questions from me at another time? I don't know. From the looks of things, not any time soon from another puzzler now? I could answer a very narrow set of questions from one of a few specific people if they presented me with a certain set of assumptions while asking the question. So for all practical purposes, no. from another puzzler another time? yes. After all, I answered several questions before the 16th. I would almost certainly be able to answer questions from another puzzler at the same time in the future that I would be able to answer questions from you again.
any of the posting meta-data (date of post, only in that I could answer their questions if they were dated before the 16th but I can't now time, not really, except that there was a certain time on the 16th that I could answer questions and a certain time that I couldn't, but I don't know what exact time that was number of user's posts no) relevant? no other meta-data are directly relevant
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Today's hint: As Yojimbo discovered, the relevant event that changed my ability to answer questions was something that occurred on LTPF. What changes on the LTPF?
Logician (Logician)
Username: Logician

Post Number: 629
Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So are any of these relevant: The puzzles in the Recently Solved section? Solved section? Lateral Limbo section? The main "puzzles still yet to be solved" section? The chatroom?

It would be possible for you to answer questions now from a certain set of people: would these people have to have a post/puzzle in any of the aforementioned sections? to not have a post/puzzle in the section?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So are any of these relevant: The puzzles in the Recently Solved section? yes Solved section? no Lateral Limbo section? possibly The main "puzzles still yet to be solved" section? especially this one The chatroom?no
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the puzzles solved on December 12 relevant?

If so, is the relevant puzzle Lynne's Meta Cheekiness? Galfisk's Ow?
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BLOOPER - I meant December 16.

Are the puzzles solved on December 16 relevant? If so, is it Natanz's Laughing? Fleemco's Play Ball? or To Gain Is To Lose?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BLOOPER - I meant December 16.

Are the puzzles solved on December 16 relevant? the exact date they were solved is not necessarily relevant, but OTRT. A puzzle ___ed on December 16 WAS relevant, but it's not now. If so, is it Natanz's Laughing? Fleemco's Play Ball? or To Gain Is To Lose? none of these. In fact, I'm embarrassed to say that I can't figure out which puzzle it was that was relevant immediately prior to December 16. I only answered questions about it once, and now I can't find it to find the title.

Hint of the day: JenBurdoo's "I'm Henry the Ninth I am" was relevant at the beginning of the puzzle, but it is also no longer relevant at this time.
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)

Post Number: 329
Posted on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the relevant puzzle one of MY excellent puzzles? I think I had one going...
perhaps it was Overheard? [it had some nice action before, during, and just after December 16 -- as I recall, you were there, Noel.]
does the relevance have anything to do with the number of posts on a relevant date?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was the relevant puzzle one of MY excellent puzzles? none that I can find of yours seem to fit I think I had one going...
perhaps it was Overheard? [it had some nice action before, during, and just after December 16 -- as I recall, you were there, Noel.]definitely not this one (though it was an excellent puzzle). I have a slight notion that it might have been one of TommyP's puzzles, but I can't find one of his that fits, either. It sounds to me like it was a puzzle about someone planning a suicide (or maybe preparing for dying of a terminal illness?), but I can't find one now that fits that description. Sorry I can't remember more clearly, but Since I only answered questions about it once, I didn't get into it very far or spend much time referencing it.

At any rate, it probably won't help you to figure out what puzzle it was. What you need to know is that I was answering questions as if they were about Jenburdoo's "I'm Henry the Ninth I am" puzzle for the first few posts. Then something changed, and I posted the post that started with "you might be interested to know the following" as if I was answering questions about a different puzzle. Then something changed again, and I was no longer able to answer questions.

Hint of the day: the puzzle I was referring to that I can't find now could be currently located in either the "recently solved puzzles," the "solved puzzles," or even "lateral limbo." I have no idea which of these three locations it is in.

does the relevance have anything to do with the number of posts on a relevant date? not at all, and nothing like this.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CORRECTION/CLARIFICATION:

On December 24, I answered the following:

"So are any of these relevant: The puzzles in the Recently Solved section? yes Solved section? no Lateral Limbo section? possibly The main "puzzles still yet to be solved" section? especially this one The chatroom?no"

a more correct answer would have been "yes to 'The main "puzzles still yet to be solved" section,' no to rest."

The other sections that received "possibly" or "probably" or "yes" as an answer should have either received a "no" answer or "puzzles in these sections may have been relevant at an earlier point in the puzzle, but these sections have nothing to do with the rule."

Sorry for the confusion/mistake.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1473
Posted on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This puzzle has never generated much interest, so I'm going to give one *****FINAL CLUE*****:

HUGE HINT: The title of this puzzle is extremely relevant.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1505
Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

alright, the situation keeping me from being able to answer questions about this one hasn't changed, so it's past time for the ***SPOILER****

I was answering questions as if they were about the question immediately above (one up from) this puzzle in the list of current puzzles.

CA answers were inevitable because sometimes the question asked was about something I had yet to discover about the question above.

What I did not anticipate was that when six or seven intermediate questions were either moved to Lateral Limbo or to the Solved Puzzles section, this puzzle found itself immediately below another rulebreaker, meaning that since I have absolutely no clue what the rule is, I have absolutely no way of being able to attempt to answer any questions until that puzzle is moved elsewhere. So...this puzzle has officially crashed and burned.

Actually, it started off with a stroke of bad luck, since the puzzle it originally followed was one that was so confusing that the host, JenBurdoo, confused herself so badly that she asked to have it deleted so she could start over. So all in all, I just had very bad timing for when I chose to list this puzzle!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: