[Biograd] My try at an idiomuzzle Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2009 » [Biograd] My try at an idiomuzzle « Previous Next »

Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 568
Posted on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tommyp, that was a good idea. Idioms are almost necessarily lateral by nature.

Here's one I heard for the first time recently, but maybe you've heard it before and will find it easy. Anyway, here it goes:

The clear water of the spring looked enticing from the perspective of the fairy tale princess.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 569
Posted on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and I forgot--bonus points to anyone who can tell me how this phrase originated (i.e. the original form of the phrase) without looking it up. Once it's solved of course.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 570
Posted on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, last thing: "fairy tale" is meant to be taken as a whole, not as "fairy" and "tale" separately.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 1975
Posted on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spring = season? metal gadget? breakout?

Perspective = view? Glass?

Fairy tale = Anything to do with folk? fiction? fantasy? animals' rear ends?
Tommyp (Tommyp)
Username: Tommyp

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You forgot your name in the title, beware of woubits... ;-)

spring: water relevant? mattress relevant? are we looking for something smaller than a football? something of just one material? metal? glass? plastic? or something untangible?

perspective: drawing relevant? tangible? untangible? view relevant?

fairy tale: are we looking for a synonym/near-synonym? or for a specific fairy tale? or is there something else than stories read for children relevant?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 571
Posted on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 5:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenburdoo:

Spring = season? metal gadget? breakout? None exactly OTRT, but metal gadget is closest

Perspective = view? This meaning, but not the right word Glass?

Fairy tale = Anything to do with folk? fiction? fantasy? This is closest, and in fact quite OTRT animals' rear ends?

Tommyp:

You forgot your name in the title, beware of woubits... ;-) Sorry, though I don't know what woubits have to do with this

spring: water relevant? No mattress relevant? No are we looking for something smaller than a football? something of just one material? metal? glass? plastic? or something untangible? All rest FA

perspective: drawing relevant? tangible? untangible? This view relevant? Yes to concept, though not the word "view"

fairy tale: are we looking for a synonym/near-synonym? In a sense or for a specific fairy tale? or is there something else than stories read for children relevant? All else no.
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)
Username: Yojimbo

Post Number: 207
Posted on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 5:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

perspective: angle? slant?
fairy tale: daydream?
spring: coil? leap? jump?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 572
Posted on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

perspective: angle? slant?
fairy tale: daydream?
spring: coil? leap? jump?

No to all, if these are specific words. The two for "perspective" are quite OTRT as to the sense of the word, the others less so.
Yojimbo (Yojimbo)
Username: Yojimbo

Post Number: 215
Posted on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

perspective: viewpoint? mindset?
fairy tale: fable? parable? story? dream? lie?
spring: spiral? bounce? recoil?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 573
Posted on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

perspective: viewpoint? This is close, in concept. mindset? This much less so
fairy tale: fable? parable? story? dream? lie? None of these are exactly right, nor particularly OTRT
spring: spiral? bounce? recoil? none is particularly OTRT, but the last two are most correct in that they are verbs

Since it seems these random guesses kind of take the fun out, your biggest hint is probably to look for where I gave the strongest "yeses". There's one guess for one of the words that was particularly good, though not precisely correct. Those who know this idiom might even get it just from that. For the word "spring", you may need to stretch your imagination.
Fleemco198 (Fleemco198)
Username: Fleemco198

Post Number: 311
Posted on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

fairy tale: Song and dance of some sort?

the: the?
(i'm just bored right now)
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 271
Posted on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

for spring:
Was the sort of OTRT track part 'metal'? or 'gadget'? or was it the whole thing together?
Springs the device deal with things like tension, extension, and compression. Are any of these relevant?
Is there a Slinky anywhere in your thought process for this word? or a pogo stick?
Does the word that you're looking for us to connect to have more to do with the form of a spring? the material? what it does? or is this far away from the right track?

perspective:
is the synonym/meaning we're supposed to go from with 'view' close to any of these: eye? see? watch?

fairy tale:
You said 'fantasy' was closest. Are we looking for a synonym like fancy? vision?
Is the word for this more in the vein of illusion? or hallucination? or imagination?
Arek_fu (Arek_fu)
Username: Arek_fu

Post Number: 799
Posted on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perspective: projection?
Sny of the following relevant: springboks? Springing as in "water springing from a rock"? Springing as in "springing from a noble family"? Springing a mine? Springing as in "cracking"?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 575
Posted on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

fairy tale: Song and dance of some sort? This is quite OTWT

the: the? Yes (:
(i'm just bored right now)

Kalira:

for spring:
Was the sort of OTRT track part 'metal'? or 'gadget'? or was it the whole thing together? gadget is more relevant
Springs the device deal with things like tension, extension, and compression. Are any of these relevant? Tension is vaguely relevant
Is there a Slinky anywhere in your thought process for this word? or a pogo stick? No to both, my word wouldn't work to describe either of these
Does the word that you're looking for us to connect to have more to do with the form of a spring? the material? what it does? Thisish or is this far away from the right track?

perspective:
is the synonym/meaning we're supposed to go from with 'view' close to any of these: eye? see? watch? Noish

fairy tale:
You said 'fantasy' was closest. Are we looking for a synonym like fancy? More another form of the word vision?
Is the word for this more in the vein of illusion? or hallucination? or imagination? and this is closest in meaning

Arek_fu:

Perspective: projection? No
Any of the following relevant: springboks? Springing as in "water springing from a rock"? Springing as in "springing from a noble family"? Springing a mine? Springing as in "cracking"? No to all, with a tiny ish for the last
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 887
Posted on Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fairy tale: imagination? Fiction?
Perspective: viewpoint? Vantage? Panorama?
Spring: jump? Bounce? Stretch? Another verb?
Kaygee (Kaygee)
Username: Kaygee

Post Number: 391
Posted on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another form of the word fantasy - fantasia? fantasize?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 583
Posted on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fairy tale: imagination? Fiction?
Perspective: viewpoint? Vantage? Panorama?
Spring: jump? Bounce? Stretch? Another verb? No to all

Another form of the word fantasy - fantasia? fantasize? Yesish but not one of these
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 922
Posted on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fantasy: dream? Daydream? Imagine? Imagination? Something along these lines?
Spring: something a spring is? Like elastic? Bouncy? Spiral shape relevant? Or could it have been a blade spring?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 584
Posted on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fantasy: dream? Daydream? Imagine? Imagination? Something along these lines? Kaygee was much closer
Spring: something a spring is? Like elastic? Bouncy? Spiral shape relevant? Or could it have been a blade spring? None of these. The answer is a verb
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 585
Posted on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Minor correction: It could have been any kind of spring (or in fact, a literal spring need not be involved) causing/taking part in the action that the word describes
Woubit (Woubit)
Username: Woubit

Post Number: 905
Posted on Monday, December 21, 2009 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trip the light fantastic?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 587
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 5:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trip the light fantastic? YES. Great going Woubit!

Trip = spring (like for example a mousetrap)
Light = perspective (seen in another light...)
Fairy tale = fantastic (stories of the real or the fantastic)

The expression, for those of you who haven't heard of it, means to dance. Which immediately raises the obvious question, WHY? I looked up the answer, but I'm curious if any of you know.
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 828
Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had to look it up too. Cool. And interesting that "light" and "fantastic" are both meant to be adjectives describing a totally absent noun. Interesting to an English major, at least.

Is this one all done, Bio?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 592
Posted on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this one all done, Bio?

I guess so, as nobody has been able to answer the challenge. I'll just say that the phrase originally had the word "toe" at the end. How a toe can be fantastic I don't know, and neither do I know why it was dropped. I'm glad you found it interesting, Gourami.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 593
Posted on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and

*************SPOILER*******************
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 837
Posted on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps some unusual nail polish? That could be pretty fantastic.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: