[cupofsun] A Family Scrund Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - July 2010 » [cupofsun] A Family Scrund « Previous Next »

Cupofsun (Cupofsun)
Username: Cupofsun

Post Number: 208
Posted on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something my dad made me the day I was born gave me the scrund that he wanted my brothers to kill me. Explain.
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he make a tangible object for you? Can whatever he made be considered common or rather extraordinary in the Western culture?

Is it relevant how many brothers you have? their ages? Do you have any sisters, and if so, would the scrund relate to them, too?
Logician (Logician)
Username: Logician

Post Number: 630
Posted on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it an amazing technicolor dreamcoat?
Kaygee (Kaygee)
Username: Kaygee

Post Number: 415
Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When did you think this: when you were a toddler? in grade school? in high school? in college/university? adulthood?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 210
Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Alhucema) Did he make a tangible object for you? Yes Can whatever he made be considered common or rather extraordinary in the Western culture?Common I suppose

Is it relevant how many brothers you have? No, I have two. their ages?Noish, they are older than me. Do you have any sisters, and if so, would the scrund relate to them, too? I don't, so no.

(Logician)
Was it an amazing technicolor dreamcoat?No

(Kaygee)
When did you think this: when you were a toddler? in grade school? in high school? in college/university? adulthood? From as far back as I can remember until I was about 8 years old.
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 834
Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the item appear to make you a target? Was it a means of defense? Did you think it would be used in the event of your death? Did you expect it to be destroyed?

Is it considered a work of art?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 211
Posted on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the item appear to make you a target? To my youthful eyes, yes

Was it a means of defense?
Did you think it would be used in the event of your death?
Did you expect it to be destroyed? No to these

Is it considered a work of art? Yes, damn Gourami, you're good...
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think your brothers would kill you to have the object themselves?

Was it a picture? A statue?

DId the scrund arise: merely because of the nature of the object? Because of something your father/somebody else said/did in relation to the object?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 212
Posted on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think your brothers would kill you to have the object themselves? No

Was it a picture? This is closest A statue?

DId the scrund arise: merely because of the nature of the object? Noish.
Because of something your father/somebody else said/did in relation to the object? No with a slight ish for "something my father did in relation to the object". Remember, he made it for me.
Kaygee (Kaygee)
Username: Kaygee

Post Number: 423
Posted on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 3:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a painting? If so: A painting that could be framed? A painting directly onto the wall (like a mural)?

Did your scrund come from the objects/people depicted in the art piece?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 213
Posted on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a painting? If so: A painting that could be framed? A painting directly onto the wall (like a mural)? It was not a painting, but it is framed.

Did your scrund come from the objects/people depicted in the art piece? It came from the art piece, but not from objects or people depicted in it, with a slight SVV of "depicted".
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can the art piece be conceived as a symbol? If so, does it remind of someone's brothers killing their sibling? Any biblical connotations?

Is it relevant what is depicted in the art piece?
Sunshine (Sunshine)
Username: Sunshine

Post Number: 849
Posted on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a photograph? of you? is someone? something? else relevant shown?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 2055
Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 4:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the object two-dimensional, or three-dimensional (like a sculpture)? Is it a toy? Is it small enough to easily carry? Can it be mounted on the wall? Displayed on a table or shelf? Is it composed entirely of one kind of material? If so, is the frame of a different material? Is the composition of the item relevant?

Was it assembled from a kit, or built from scratch? Can it be made with unskilled labor? Or is your father a carpenter, metalsmith, glassmaker, etc? If so, by trade or as a hobby?

Was it intended to showcase your father's aspirations for you? His love? Did he make similar items for your brothers? Was it intended to reassure you, rather than frighten?

Was it actually presented to you? Placed in your room? In your crib? Was it intended to be protective in some way (say, a charm or religious icon)?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a photograph showing you and your brothers?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Alhucema)
Can the art piece be conceived as a symbol? No
If so, does it remind of someone's brothers killing their sibling? No
Any biblical connotations?No

Is it relevant what is depicted in the art piece?
Yes

(Sunshine)
Is it a photograph? of you? No to both. is someone? something? else relevant shown? Something else relevant is shown.

(Jenburdoo)
Is the object two-dimensional, or three-dimensional (like a sculpture)?Two dimensional. Is it a toy?No Is it small enough to easily carry?It can be carried easily, but I wouldn't call it "small". Can it be mounted on the wall?Yes, it in fact is mounted on the wall. Displayed on a table or shelf? No Is it composed entirely of one kind of material?Yes. If so, is the frame of a different material?Yes Is the composition of the item relevant?
Not the physical composition, no.
Was it assembled from a kit, or built from scratch? Scratch Can it be made with unskilled labor? YesOr is your father a carpenter, metalsmith, glassmaker, etc?No If so, by trade or as a hobby?So, No.

Was it intended to showcase your father's aspirations for you?Yes, exactly. Good question. His love?This too. Did he make similar items for your brothers?Yes, indeed he did. Was it intended to reassure you, rather than frighten?Absolutely. Good set of questions!

Was it actually presented to you? Placed in your room?This. In your crib? Was it intended to be protective in some way (say, a charm or religious icon)?But none of these.

(Alhucema)
Is it a photograph showing you and your brothers?FA.
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think it was scary? Dangerous? Relevant which method thought your brothers would use to kill you? Is it a painting?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 855
Posted on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a photo? A drawing? A framed 3-D object (shadow box, butterflies under glass, etc?) Is the subject matter related to a profession? A hobby? Money? Fame? General happiness?

Was it just your brothers' proximity to you that made you think he wanted them to kill you? I.e., might you have thought your parents wanted to kill you themselves? Have your cousins kill you? Or your close friends?

Did your brothers say something about the art? Did you think that you knew of a motive for the killing?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 218
Posted on Friday, January 15, 2010 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Galfisk)
Did you think it was scary? Yes
Dangerous? Not the object itself.
Relevant which method thought your brothers would use to kill you? Very
Is it a painting? No

(Gourami)
Is it a photo? A drawing? A framed 3-D object (shadow box, butterflies under glass, etc?) None of these.
Is the subject matter related to a profession? A hobby? Money? Fame? General happiness? The subject matter is varied. All of these things could apply.

Was it just your brothers' proximity to you that made you think he wanted them to kill you? I.e., might you have thought your parents wanted to kill you themselves? Have your cousins kill you? Or your close friends?No, it was not just their proximity. I did not think my parents wanted to kill me themselves, or anyone else really.

Did your brothers say something about the art? No
Did you think that you knew of a motive for the killing? No I did not.
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 859
Posted on Friday, January 15, 2010 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a collage, by any chance? And some of the pictures happened to be placed in unfortunate positions?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 220
Posted on Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 5:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a collage, by any chance? Why yes my fair friend, indeed it was...
And some of the pictures happened to be placed in unfortunate positions? But not this
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 2167
Posted on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He chose unusual pictures to construct the collage? Was it made from photographs? Colored paper? Painted or drawn pictures? Something other than paper? Could it be characterized as a mosaic?
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 4450
Posted on Monday, January 18, 2010 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a collage of family photos? If so, were your brothers playing with toy guns or other weaponry in the photos? Were they indulging in what appeared to be dangerous activities? Were you scared that they would make you join them? e.g. climbing trees?

How did you think your brothers would kill you? Shooting? Beating you up? Other blunt trauma? Poisoning? Drowning?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 222
Posted on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 5:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Jenburdoo)
He chose unusual pictures to construct the collage? FA, but no. Was it made from photographs? No Colored paper?This Painted or drawn pictures?This too Something other than paper?No Could it be characterized as a mosaic?It was just a collage.

(Lynne)
Was it a collage of family photos?No If so, were your brothers playing with toy guns or other weaponry in the photos?FA, no toy guns, no photos. Were they indulging in what appeared to be dangerous activities?No Were you scared that they would make you join them?No e.g. climbing trees?

How did you think your brothers would kill you?A very important question... Shooting? Beating you up? Other blunt trauma? Poisoning? Drowning?But no to all.
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 4451
Posted on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think they might electrocute you? Gas you? Strangle you?

At what age did you have this fear (it obviously didn't start on the day you were born). Were you 1-5? 6-10? 11-15? Older?

Did they make comments to you that, along with the collage, made you have this fear? Was it relevant how old they were when you were fearful? Did you read something else that, along with the collage, made you ahve this fear?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 877
Posted on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there something about the medium of collage itself that reminded you of death? Did you think receiving a collage would mean your death?

Did your father actually construct the collage? For you specifically? Did it contain documents/pictures related to birth? Your birth specifically?
Torquemada (Torquemada)
Username: Torquemada

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the similar items made for your brothers conveyed a similar message?
Were those similar items also collages?

Had they used the same reasoning as you towards their collages, would they have drawn similar conclusions to yours?

If one of your brothers had been in your position (i.e. newly born and given the exact same collage as you were given), and used the same reasoning as you, would they have drawn similar conclusions to yours?

Was the collage intended to portray you?
Did it show you in a high place? On top of a building?
Did you think your brothers were meant to push you off a building?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Lynne)
Did you think they might electrocute you? Gas you? Strangle you? No to all

At what age did you have this fear (it obviously didn't start on the day you were born). Were you 1-5? 6-10? 11-15? Older? Probably around 6 until I was 9ish

Did they make comments to you that, along with the collage, made you have this fear? No Was it relevant how old they were when you were fearful?No, only that they are older, but even that isn't really relevant. Did you read something else that, along with the collage, made you ahve this fear?No, but there is a really good FA in this question that isn't false at all. Go with it.

(Gourami)
Was there something about the medium of collage itself that reminded you of death?No Did you think receiving a collage would mean your death?No

Did your father actually construct the collage?Yes For you specifically?Yes Did it contain documents/pictures related to birth?I suppose, but... Your birth specifically? This is more like it.

(Torquemada)
Did you think the similar items made for your brothers conveyed a similar message?No
Were those similar items also collages?They were, but they are irr.

Had they used the same reasoning as you towards their collages, would they have drawn similar conclusions to yours?No

If one of your brothers had been in your position (i.e. newly born and given the exact same collage as you were given), and used the same reasoning as you, would they have drawn similar conclusions to yours?It's possible sure, but then again, this would have to be in their six year old mind.

Was the collage intended to portray you?No
Did it show you in a high place? On top of a building?
Did you think your brothers were meant to push you off a building?No to all, good questions though.
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 883
Posted on Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the collage show things that happened on your birthday? People who share your birthday? Your birth certificate? Is your birth name relevant? Your brothers'?

Did you think your brothers would kill you through some supernatural means? With an explosion? Stabbing?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 2268
Posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think you would be killed by something sharp? By suffocation?

Is the method you expected common or rare? For example, did you expect to be shot out an airlock in deep space?

Did the collage depict objects? People? Something intangible? Words?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 228
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Gourami)
Did the collage show things that happened on your birthday? No or irr.
People who share your birthday?No
Your birth certificate? No
Is your birth name relevant? No
Your brothers'?No

Did you think your brothers would kill you through some supernatural means?
With an explosion? Stabbing?No to all.

(Jenburdoo)
Did you think you would be killed by something sharp? By suffocation? No to both.

Is the method you expected common or rare? It would certainly be rare.
For example, did you expect to be shot out an airlock in deep space?But not this rare.

Did the collage depict objects?Yes People? Yes Something intangible?Not really. Words?YES.
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 938
Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So. Were words clipped from various places and placed in the collage? Were they typed words from a magazine or other publication? Handwritten? If so, handwritten by him, for the collage? Were they intended to form a sentence or phrase? Did they form one unintentionally?

Was it the words themselves that gave you the mistaken idea? Was it something about their font/color/background? Something about the source they were taken from?
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 4452
Posted on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the word skill or skills appear in the collage?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 231
Posted on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Gourami)
So. Were words clipped from various places and placed in the collage?Yes Were they typed words from a magazine or other publication? Yes Handwritten? No If so, handwritten by him, for the collage? So no Were they intended to form a sentence or phrase? Did they form one unintentionally? They were intended to form a sentence purposefully, and they did.

Was it the words themselves that gave you the mistaken idea? Yes Was it something about their font/color/background? Something about the source they were taken from?No, it was the words themselves, nothing else.

(Lynne)
Did the word skill or skills appear in the collage?No.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you misread a word? More than one word? Or misunderstand the meaning of a word? Or more than one? Is the placement of the words important?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 241
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 5:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you misread a word? No More than one word? So no Or misunderstand the meaning of a word? Yes! Or more than one? Only one Is the placement of the words important? Not on the collage itself, no. But the placement of words in a sentence is always important I suppose (i.e. sentence this wouldn't sense make much in this order, no?)
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 988
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think one word was a different word? Or did you get the word right, but the wrong meaning of it? Or did you get the meaning right, but just didn't see it in context?

Did the word you misunderstood have to do with death? Was it "death"? Die/dye? Kill?

Did it have to do with brothers? Was it brother? Sibling? Child? Fratricide? =)
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 243
Posted on Monday, March 15, 2010 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think one word was a different word? Noish Or did you get the word right, but the wrong meaning of it? This is more like it. Or did you get the meaning right, but just didn't see it in context? No, I misunderstood the meaning

Did the word you misunderstood have to do with death? I thought it had to do with death in a sense, yes... Was it "death"? Die/dye? Kill? None of these

Did it have to do with brothers? Was it brother? Sibling? Child? Fratricide? =) Haha, no the word was not a death or brother related word really.
Amu (Amu)
Username: Amu

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, hope you don't mind me join.

Was it just one sentence? Did the writing have to do with love, loving/waiting for a baby/luck/similar? Or was it newspaper headlines from the day you were born? If so, is the actual day you were born relevant?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 247
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, hope you don't mind me join. Welcome, of course not!

Was it just one sentence? Only one sentence is relevant. Did the writing have to do with love, loving/waiting for a baby/luck/similar? No Or was it newspaper headlines from the day you were born? There were, but they are irr. If so, is the actual day you were born relevant? No.
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the entire sentence come from another place? And got onto the collage because it made sense there? Did your dad intend a double entendre? But not the one you interpreted?

Were the words or letters cut out individually and put together to form a new sentence? Ransom notes relevant? While cutting out the words, did your dad include something he didn't intend to? Like fine print?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 249
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the entire sentence come from another place? No And got onto the collage because it made sense there? Yes Did your dad intend a double entendre? No But not the one you interpreted? So, No.

Were the words or letters cut out individually and put together to form a new sentence? Yes, a few of the words came from one place and another word came from elsewhere, although it is quite irrelevant. He could have just written it out and the effect would have been the same. Ransom notes relevant? While cutting out the words, did your dad include something he didn't intend to? Like fine print? No to these, although I was wondering when the ransom note idea would come up!
Lacerta (Lacerta)
Username: Lacerta

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the relevant word (intended as) a verb? Noun? Adjective? Adverb? Pronoun? Other type of word?

Did you interpret it as a verb? Noun? Adjective? Adverb? Pronoun? Other type of word?

If we could figure out the individual word you misunderstood, would it be obvious what the scrund was? Or would we need the whole sentence?

Is the sentence a common phrase/saying/proverb? A quotation? Or an entirely original sentence?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 252
Posted on Friday, March 26, 2010 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the relevant word (intended as) a verb? Noun? This Adjective? Adverb? Pronoun? Other type of word?

Did you interpret it as a verb? Noun? This Adjective? Adverb? Pronoun? Other type of word? Keep in mind, this is my 5-8 year old mind's interpretation...

If we could figure out the individual word you misunderstood, would it be obvious what the scrund was? Yes, you would certainly get it. Or would we need the whole sentence? The context would be fairy obvious once you found the word.

Is the sentence a common phrase/saying/proverb? A quotation? Or an entirely original sentence? This.
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the word referred to a weapon? Something in your home? An action? A group of some kind? Something religious/metaphysical?
Lacerta (Lacerta)

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This puzzle is driving me mad! In a good way, of course.

Did the word refer to you? To your brothers? To a person? Animal? Inanimate object?

Did you think it referred to you? To your brothers? To a person? Animal? Inanimate object?
Bellstrom (Bellstrom)
Username: Bellstrom

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the word "rivalry"?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 254
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2010 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the word referred to a weapon? NoSomething in your home?Noish An action? No A group of some kind?No Something religious/metaphysical?No

-

This puzzle is driving me mad! In a good way, of course. Mwahahahah

Did the word refer to you?No To your brothers?Yesish/Yope To a person? Animal? Inanimate object?No to rest.

Did you think it referred to you? To your brothers?Yesish. To a person? Animal? Inanimate object?

-

Is the word "rivalry"? No
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2010 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think it referred to all the people in the house except you? That it excluded you in some way? That it referred to your father and brothers? Mother and brothers?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 255
Posted on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think it referred to all the people in the house except you? No That it excluded you in some way? No That it referred to your father and brothers? No Mother and brothers? No. I'm getting a little shady what the "IT" that people are asking about is. Please be clear whether you mean the phrase, or just the word in question... Just to be clear on the last few answers, I thought the word referred to my brothers and also to me, not to anyone else.
Lacerta (Lacerta)

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, to clarify... in reality the word yesishly referred to your brothers only, but you thought it (yesishly) referred to you *and* them? Or did I misunderstand something?

Did the word refer to something to do with families? Siblings? Your family in particular?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 257
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, to clarify... in reality the word yesishly referred to your brothers only, but you thought it (yesishly) referred to you *and* them? Or did I misunderstand something?
To clarify I will say: the phrase referred to my brothers and I, and I interpreted it as referring to my brothers and I, but I misunderstood what it meant (based on my misunderstanding of one word in the phrase.)

Did the word refer to something to do with families? No Siblings? Yesish Your family in particular? No
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the phrase have to do with a certain number? Of children, perhaps? Did you think it did? Did the phrase refer to some loss? Some gain? Did you think it did?

Was the entire phrase a declarative sentence? A question? A proverb or saying? A quote? A command? If so, to you?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 259
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the phrase have to do with a certain number? NoOf children, perhaps?No Did you think it did?No Did the phrase refer to some loss?No Some gain? Yesish Did you think it did? Yes

Was the entire phrase a declarative sentence? Could be this A question? A proverb or saying? A quote? A command?But this is more like it. If so, to you? Yes, to me.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 2494
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were your brothers mentioned in the phrase? Their names? Yours? Anyone else's? Would it help to know the names of those involved? If so, may we have them?
Lacerta (Lacerta)

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the command tell you: to do something? To avoid something? To remember something? To be something?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 261
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were your brothers mentioned in the phrase? Yes Their names?No Yours?No Anyone else's?No Would it help to know the names of those involved?No If so, may we have them?So, No. "Brothers" is how they are mentioned in the phrase.

Did the command tell you: to do something? Yes To avoid something? To remember something? To be something?No to the rest.
Lacerta (Lacerta)

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the command suggest that you should behave in a certain way towards your brothers? Have a certain attitude towards them? Interact with them in a particular way? Did you think it implied that you had reason to be afraid of them?

Going back to the method-of-death thing... Did you think you would die due to loss of blood? Lack of oxygen? Starvation? Dehydration? Injuries to the head/body/internal organs? Ingesting something lethal to humans? Being infected with a disease? Something else?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think it was a command to your brothers rather than you?
Cynic (Cynic)
Username: Cynic

Posted on Friday, May 14, 2010 - 4:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the word a homonym (or close to being a homonym if not exactly) for another word which would actually give the phrase the sinister meaning you interpreted?

Did you have exposure to the word (or a homonym) used in a different context, which framed the collage sentence differently for you?

Do you think other children of your age (5-8) could have the same misinterpretation of the word?

Was the word "fate" used in the phrase?
Was the word "prayer(s)" used in the phrase?
Was the word "guardian(s)" used in the phrase?
Cynic (Cynic)
Username: Cynic

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2010 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh...

Was the word "safe" used in the phrase?
Prav (Prav)
Username: Prav

Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the command anything to do with your brothers? Did it have any time element to it?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 262
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry for the extreme lapse in responding, life, etc...

Did the command suggest that you should behave in a certain way towards your brothers?No Have a certain attitude towards them?No Interact with them in a particular way?Noish Did you think it implied that you had reason to be afraid of them?Yes

Going back to the method-of-death thing... Did you think you would die due to loss of blood?No Lack of oxygen?No Starvation? No Dehydration?No Injuries to the head/body/internal organs? No Ingesting something lethal to humans?No Being infected with a disease?Yes Something else?No
-

Did you think it was a command to your brothers rather than you?No
-

Is the word a homonym (or close to being a homonym if not exactly) for another word which would actually give the phrase the sinister meaning you interpreted?Yes

Did you have exposure to the word (or a homonym) used in a different context, which framed the collage sentence differently for you?Yes

Do you think other children of your age (5-8) could have the same misinterpretation of the word?
Yesish

Was the word "fate" used in the phrase?No
Was the word "prayer(s)" used in the phrase?No Was the word "guardian(s)" used in the phrase? No

-

Oh...
Was the word "safe" used in the phrase?No

Was the command anything to do with your brothers?Yes Did it have any time element to it?No
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 2214
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the exact disease relevant? Did you misinterpret a word as the name of a disease?
Lacerta (Lacerta)

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm... presumably it was an infectious disease? How did you think it would be transmitted: airborne (like coughs and colds)? Direct contact with something? Ingesting something? Via blood or other body fluids (like malaria)? Something else? Or you didn't know/it didn't matter?

Did you interpret the phrase as a warning? Or (since you thought your dad WANTED your brothers to kill you) did you think he was trying to trick you into something? Did you think that obeying the command as you understood it would be dangerous for you? That obeying it would make it easier for your brothers to kill you?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 264
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the exact disease relevant? Yes Did you misinterpret a word as the name of a disease? Yes indeed...

-

Hmmm... presumably it was an infectious disease? Yes How did you think it would be transmitted: airborne (like coughs and colds)? Direct contact with something? Ingesting something? Via blood or other body fluids (like malaria)? THIS, no to all others. Something else? Or you didn't know/it didn't matter? It's relevant what disease it is.

Did you interpret the phrase as a warning? No Or (since you thought your dad WANTED your brothers to kill you) did you think he was trying to trick you into something? No Did you think that obeying the command as you understood it would be dangerous for you? Yes I did That obeying it would make it easier for your brothers to kill you? Yesish
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was it AIDS?
Modicum (Modicum)
Username: Modicum

Posted on Friday, July 02, 2010 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to clarify; was it malaria?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 265
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was it AIDS? YES!

Just to clarify; was it malaria? No
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1807
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did it say "aid" as in "help" (or "aids" as in "helpers"), but you thought he wanted them to give you AIDS?
Modicum (Modicum)
Username: Modicum

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, July 05, 2010 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it: "Your brothers will give you aids"?
Cupofsun (Cupofsun)

Post Number: 266
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did it say "aid" as in "help" (or "aids" as in "helpers"), but you thought he wanted them to give you AIDS? Yesss

Was it: "Your brothers will give you aids"? There you go

-

SPOILERRRRR

My dad made me a wonderful collage the day I was born, but one unfortunate misinterpretation I had as a child was the line that said:

"Get aid from your brothers"

For whatever reason, I just thought he meant that I should get AIDS from my brothers, not exactly the thing I wanted to hear... lol. Thankfully, neither of them have AIDS, but they did give me plenty of aid as a kid. Thanks for playing!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: