[GalFisk] A scrund of mine Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - Jan 2010 » [GalFisk] A scrund of mine « Previous Next »

Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 975
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got this scrund because Grandpa wanted to do something nice for Grandma.
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he actually do it? If so, did it go wrong in some way? Did you witness him doing it?

Your age (at that time) relevant?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 976
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he actually do it? Yes. If so, did it go wrong in some way? No. Did you witness him doing it? No.

Your age (at that time) relevant? He did it before I was born, which is somewhat relevant.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it related to you (eg did your grandfather know you were going to be born)?

Was it a physical thing (like building a house) or rather a psychological one (like writing a poem)?

Was it a usual thing for a husband to do for his wife? Was it costly?

Their ages relevant?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 977
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it related to you (eg did your grandfather know you were going to be born)? Unrelated to me.

Was it a physical thing (like building a house) or rather a psychological one (like writing a poem)? Not a poem but very much OTRT.

Was it a usual thing for a husband to do for his wife? No. Was it costly? No.

Their ages relevant? No.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A picture? An ad on a billboard?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 979
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A picture? An ad on a billboard? Neither - poem is much closer.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A piece of writing then? A song?

Was it ever made public?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 980
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A piece of writing then? A song? Several songs.

Was it ever made public? Yes, for svv of "public".
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1515
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the scrund related to what you thought about your grandfather? Your grandmother?

Did you think your Grandpa was a famous songwriter/singer?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 981
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the scrund related to what you thought about your grandfather? Your grandmother? Neither.

Did you think your Grandpa was a famous songwriter/singer? No - but my scrund could be interpreted that way. He was in fact somewhat famous as a songwriter in his community, which is slightly relevant.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1520
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did your scrund relate to the song(s)? A person? A thing? A concept?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 982
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did your scrund relate to the song(s)? This. A person? A thing? A concept?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To the contents of the song? One or several? Would it help to know what the song(s) was/were about exactly?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 983
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To the contents of the song? No. One or several? Several. Would it help to know what the song(s) was/were about exactly? Yes.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the song about love? Were all the songs about the same subject?

Did your Grandpa compose both the lyrics and the tune? Relevant?

Any popular/folk songs relevant?

Am I likely to know the song/s?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 984
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the song about love? No. Were all the songs about the same subject? Yes.

Did your Grandpa compose both the lyrics and the tune? The tunes: no, the lyrics: noish. Relevant? Yes.

Any popular/folk songs relevant? For svv of "popular".

Am I likely to know the song/s? Lyrics: no, tunes: possibly.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did your Grandpa use the tunes of already existing songs? And make his own lyrics? Perhaps replacing just a part of it? With the name of your Grandma?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 985
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did your Grandpa use the tunes of already existing songs? Yes. And make his own lyrics? Yope. Perhaps replacing just a part of it? Not this. With the name of your Grandma? No.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 2073
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he use lyrics to a different song? Adapt them to this song?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 986
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he use lyrics to a different song? No, but OTRT. Adapt them to this song? No, but a kind of adaption is involved.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the songs parodies?

Were they about: an activity? A person/persons? Animal/s? A concept? A tangible subject?

Do they (I mean the original versions) have a known author?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 988
Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the songs parodies? No.

Were they about: an activity? A person/persons? Animal/s? A concept? A tangible subject? Activity or concept is closest.

Do they (I mean the original versions) have a known author? I had to google: The lyrics to the songs usually have known authors (different ones), but the composers are not known.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the original songs a sort of folklore songs? Were they all about the same concept? If so, religion? Fishing? Military issues? Carols?

Were they specifically Swedish? Or rather international?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 990
Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the original songs a sort of folklore songs? Yes. Were they all about the same concept? Yes. If so, religion? Religion is relevant. Fishing? Military issues? Carols? This.

Were they specifically Swedish? They were not Swedish. Or rather international? No.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1541
Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are any worldwide-known carols relevant? If so, is it Silent Night? Adeste Fideles?

Are any nation-specific carols included? If so, are they from /LTPF list of countries/?

Did your Grandpa replace some of the words in the carols? For example, to imply your Grandma was like the Virgin Mary?

Were the modified songs funny? Touching?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 991
Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are any worldwide-known carols relevant? If so, is it Silent Night? Adeste Fideles? No.

Are any nation-specific carols included? If so, are they from /LTPF list of countries/? Yes, from Germany.

Did your Grandpa replace some of the words in the carols? Yope. For example, to imply your Grandma was like the Virgin Mary? Nothing like this.

Were the modified songs funny? Touching? Not any more than the originals.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1544
Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps adjusted to his actual situation?

O Tannenbaum? Es ist ein Ros entsprungen (I love this one)?

I am afraid I do not know any more German carols. Should I keep guessing their exact titles?
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did your grandfather simply translate them into a different language than German?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 993
Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps adjusted to his actual situation? Sort of.

O Tannenbaum? Yes. Es ist ein Ros entsprungen (I love this one)? No, that one had already been translated (see below).

I am afraid I do not know any more German carols. Should I keep guessing their exact titles? Not neccessary. I think there were 8 in total.

Did your grandfather simply translate them into a different language than German? Yes indeed!
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1463
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think he was the author of the song? When he was only the translator?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 997
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think he was the author of the song? When he was only the translator? No.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So he just translated them, without changing their general sense? Or did he add something personal to them?

Is/was your Granny of German origin? Is your Granndad? Relevant?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 998
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So he just translated them, without changing their general sense? Yes. Or did he add something personal to them? No.

Is/was your Granny of German origin? Yes. Is your Granndad? No. Relevant? Yup, and you have mostly figured out what nice thing he did for her. Now how come I ended up with a scrund related the songs, and what was it?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1554
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So your Grandpa translated the German carols just to please your Granny? Was she born in Germany? Relevant?

Was the scrund related just to the songs? To the person of your Grandpa? Your Granny?

Did you think the songs were Swedish, while they in fact weren't?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So your Grandpa translated the German carols just to please your Granny? Indeed. Was she born in Germany? Yes. Relevant? Yes, she grew up with these songs as a kid.

Was the scrund related just to the songs? Yes. To the person of your Grandpa? Your Granny? So no.

Did you think the songs were Swedish, while they in fact weren't? I did think that at some point, but I still had the scrund after I understood that they were translated.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the scrund related to the lyrics of the songs? Their tunes? Their origin? Their authors?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the scrund related to the lyrics of the songs? Their tunes? Their origin? Their authors? Neither.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1563
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To the circumstances in which the songs were sung? To the reaction of anybody to the songs?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To the circumstances in which the songs were sung? Noish. To the reaction of anybody to the songs? No.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1564
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To the fact the songs were carols?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To the fact the songs were carols? No.
Hint: one more person is directly involved, in addition to me and my grandparents.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1567
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your father/mother? Anyone of your family?

Did you think that the songs were written to praise this person instead of Baby Jesus?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your father/mother? Anyone of your family? My father.

Did you think that the songs were written to praise this person instead of Baby Jesus? No.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1570
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he a child at that time? Were the grandparents his parents?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he a child at that time? I think the translations were made before he was born. Were the grandparents his parents? Yes.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant they were made before he was born? Was your Granny expecting him when they were made?

Was your scrund about the relationship between the songs and your father?

Did you hear your father/Grandpa/ Grandma/ any other person singing them? Relevant?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant they were made before he was born? Yes, in a lateral way. Was your Granny expecting him when they were made? No.

Was your scrund about the relationship between the songs and your father? Noish.

Did you hear your father/Grandpa/ Grandma/ any other person singing them? Relevant? Father, his siblings, my older half siblings, relevant.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So there's no relation between a specific person and the songs, as far as your scrund is concerned, right?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So there's no relation between a specific person and the songs, as far as your scrund is concerned, right? Correct.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think everyone knew the translated version that your father and his siblings sung? But when you tried to sing it among others not related to you, no one sung along?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think everyone knew the translated version that your father and his siblings sung? Exactly! But when you tried to sing it among others not related to you, no one sung along? No (I may have sung them on some occations, but not expecting others to join in).

****SPOILER****
When my Grandpa married my Grandma and took her home to Sweden, he translated her favorite German Christmas carols into Swedish. Their children grew up with these songs, and carried on the tradition to our childhood. I thought until quite recently that the translations were widely known in Sweden.
One day I mentioned to a friend that my Grandpa was the one who translated "O Tannenbaum" into Swedish, she had never heard the translation and I realized that, like the other translations, they must all be virtually unknown outside our family.
It helped my scrund that we had a professionally printed booklet with all the songs at home - and of course that during most of the year I didn't spend a thought on these Christmas carols.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1615
Posted on Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a nice thing your Grandpa did! Thank you for the puzzle, Galfisk!

As I am a bit of a language freak, I am interested in the Swedish lyrics of the Tannenbaum - would it be too daring to ask you to tell me whether/where I can find them? Thanks in advance.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can't find them, so I've written them down from memory. You have email (:
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1619
Posted on Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a lot! I am going to check it right away.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: