/Alhucema/ Boys Can't Do That Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - April 2010 » /Alhucema/ Boys Can't Do That « Previous Next »

Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 1984
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some time ago, I needed a certain piece of information from a field I did not know much about. As I am quite a vain person, I did not want it to show and when I made the phone call and asked a question, I tried to look as if I were dealing with this topic on a daily basis. The lady on the other end of the line answered my question but it seemed to me the information she gave me was not sufficient. So I asked another question and the lady, with an indulgent smile which could not be seen but was clearly heard, answered: “Boys can’t do this, dear.“

I hung up and thought: “Damn it, so much for Alhucema as an expert.“ She must have known immediately I am definitely NOT one.

What was the question?
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you ask a question that involved a boy? Did you pretend to speak on a boy's behalf? Or were you really asking on a boy's behalf (for example, "My friend Joe is interested in...") Did you pretend to be a boy?

Was she talking about real live human males? Adult males? Can they not do it for a reason related to female anatomy? Childbirth? Female dress? Names? A gender-related tradition?

Can girls do this?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1985
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you ask a question that involved a boy? Yes Did you pretend to speak on a boy's behalf? No Or were you really asking on a boy's behalf (for example, "My friend Joe is interested in...") No Did you pretend to be a boy? No

Was she talking about real live human males? No Adult males? No Can they not do it for a reason related to female anatomy? Yesish, with svv of anatomy Childbirth? No Female dress? No Names? No A gender-related tradition? No

Can girls do this? Yes :-))
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she talking about animal males? robot males?
The girls that can do this: human females? adult females? child females? animal females? robot females?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1987
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she talking about animal males? Yes robot males? No
The girls that can do this: human females? No adult females? Yes child females? Yes animal females? Yes robot females? No
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are eggs relevant? Some other method of reproduction?

Are the girls birds? Mammals? Fish? Invertebrates? Reptiles? Amphibians? Are the girls who can and the boys who can't (at least, those in question) of the same species?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are eggs relevant? No Some other method of reproduction? No

Are the girls birds? Mammals? This Fish? Invertebrates? Reptiles? Amphibians? Are the girls who can and the boys who can't (at least, those in question) of the same species? Yes
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 717
Posted on Friday, April 02, 2010 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can any humans (of any gender or age) do this? Can the males of certain mammal species, other than the one relevant to this puzzle, do this?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1990
Posted on Saturday, April 03, 2010 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can any humans (of any gender or age) do this? No Can the males of certain mammal species, other than the one relevant to this puzzle, do this? None that I know of
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a relevant size difference between the sexes? Color difference? A different appendage? Horns or antlers? A different behavior?

Does the action the boys can't take involve humans in any way? Are the animals in captivity? Wild? Either?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1993
Posted on Sunday, April 04, 2010 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a relevant size difference between the sexes? No Color difference? Yes A different appendage? No Horns or antlers? No A different behavior? No

Does the action the boys can't take involve humans in any way? Noish Are the animals in captivity? This Wild? Either?
Maxwong (Maxwong)
Username: Maxwong

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2010 - 6:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the mammals dolphin? whale? elephants? dog? horse? marsupial? primate? rodent?

IS the question go to do anything with KANGAROO or any other marsupial's POUCH?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1994
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2010 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the mammals dolphin? whale? elephants? dog? horse? marsupial? primate? rodent? Neither

IS the question go to do anything with KANGAROO or any other marsupial's POUCH? No to both
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2010 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the question deal with camouflage? Hunting? Or some other method of food gathering? Caring for young?

Are the mammals felines?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1995
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2010 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the question deal with camouflage? No Hunting? No Or some other method of food gathering? No Caring for young? No

Are the mammals felines? Yes
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they housecats? lions? tigers? cheetahs? leopards? jaguars? other?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1996
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they housecats? This lions? tigers? cheetahs? leopards? jaguars? other?
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you asking about calicoes? Or some other coloration pattern that's carried on the sex chromosome?

Was this a cat show you were calling, perhaps? Kitty day care? A vet?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 1998
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you asking about calicoes? Yes indeed Or some other coloration pattern that's carried on the sex chromosome?

Was this a cat show you were calling, perhaps? Kitty day care? A vet? A cattery, but this is not the relevant part. I think you've guessed enough for me to post the

**********SPOILER***************

Several years ago, we were trying to find a kitten for my mother-in-law. I called to several catteries, and found out that cat folks were a strange sort of people :-)) who had their own lingo and seemed very careful about whom they were going to sell their kittens to.

As my knowledge about cats by the time was close to zero, I was kind of afraid that they would tell me that they were not willing to sell their cats to a complete ignoramus ;-))

So when I made a phone call to the fifth cattery, I tried to sound as if cats were my daily bread.

The lady on the other end of the line was pleased to tell me that some kittens were still available. She told me that they had two cream boys, one blue girl and two tortoiseshells (or calicoes ;-))) Puzzled, I asked whether these were males of females, and the lady gave me the answer I described in the puzzle statement.

It was clear I had no idea about feline genetics and about the fact that tortoiseshells are almost always females.

Thank you all for purrrticipating in this puzzle!
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a purrrfect puzzle. It would have been cat-astrophic if no one solved. It was a great tale! I'll add it to my cat-alogue...

Okay, I'm done.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2000
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am glad you cat-egorized it as a good puzzle. I am feline so good about it!

Anyway, we did purr-chase a kitten back in the hiss-tory, but my mother-in-law had problems with her, so we kept her. She was a big Purr-sian blue with an enormous ability to puss-h our buttons, but then we managed to cat-ch up. But she kept thinking she was the cat's pajamas.

Miaow!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: