/Alhucema/ Inspector Millet needs you... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2010 » /Alhucema/ Inspector Millet needs your help « Previous Next »

Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 2056
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2010 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Inspector Millet was sitting in the local pub.

He had arrived to the small town only a few weeks ago, and he thought he should merge with the locals as soon as possible. Constable Spike, who had spent his whole life in the town, kept him faithful company. They were having their second lager, and the Inspector was thoughtfully watching a little group of dart players. One of them had just hit the double bull’s eye and was waving his hands in joy.

Spike followed the Inspector's look. “Oh, that’s Alistair Greene,“ he said with contempt. "A big champion, ain’t he? No wonder – he spends in the pub almost every evening, he does. If I were his..."

He was interrupted by a man rushing to the pub. „Police! I’ve just found a badly wounded man. It's near the Greenes‘ house. The ambulance is already on its way. Hurry up.“

Inspector Millet and Constable Spike ran out of the pub, with Spike leading the way. They arrived when the paramedics were just lifting an unconscious man covered with a bloodstained blanket onto the gurney and loading him into the ambulance.

“What happened?“ asked the Inspector. “Who is the man?“

„It’s Mr John Lewis, Sir.“ answered one of the paramedics. „I am sorry, but we must rush to the hospital. He lost a lot of blood, and is quite badly mangled.“

The ambulance sped away, and Constable Spike looked resignedly at the Inspector.
„So much for the quiet evening, Guv. Now, where do we start?“

As in all Inspector Millet’s cases, I want you to put yourself in his skin. Please feel free to ask directly the victim (when he wakes up, of course), Constable Spike or any witness you consider relevant (Spike can help you in that as he is a local native and knows everybody relevant). I can guarantee no one will be outright lying but please take into account that all witnesses do not necessarily have the same knowledge of the circumstances (and the same question can thus be answered differently by different persons), and that people’s responses can sometimes be quite emotional due to their personal involvement.

Oh, and don’t forget you can basically ask just yes/no questions but the witnesses or Spike may sometimes provide you more than that.

Have fun!
Shephard (Shephard)
Username: Shephard

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2010 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Questions to Spike: Does Alistair live alone? Does he have any known enemies?
Was Mr John Lewin found on Mr Greenes property? Outside? Was there any objects nearby?
Do you know what caused his injury? Object, hands, other?
Do you know the relationship between Mr Lewis and Mr Greene? Otherwise, do you know someone who does?
Do you know where Mr Lewis lives? Does he have relatives? Friends? Co'workors? Relevant?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Questions to Spike: Does Alistair live alone? No Does he have any known enemies? Not that I know of.
Was Mr John Lewin found on Mr Greenes property? It's Mr. Lewis, Inspector, and yes Outside? No Was there any objects nearby? Yes
Do you know what caused his injury? I can reasonably assume that, sir Object This, hands, other?
Do you know the relationship between Mr Lewis and Mr Greene? Nothing special, as far as I know. They are almost neighbours, so they know each other quite well... Otherwise, do you know someone who does? Who knows. Perhaps if you ask around a little bit.
Do you know where Mr Lewis lives? In our town, several streets away Does he have relatives? Friends? Co'workors? Yes to all three Relevant? Not at all.
Shephard (Shephard)

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Questions to Spike: Was Mr Lewin found in Mr Greenes house? Relevant? Is there any indications that the object that was found near the body caused the injury? Is it a weapon? Could it be used as one? Is it bigger than a coin, orange, football, suitcase? Does the object belong to Mr Lewis?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2063
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2010 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Questions to Spike: Was Mr Lewin found in Mr Greenes house? No, and I beg your pardon, Sir, but it's Mr. Lewis Relevant? Yes Is there any indications that the object that was found near the body caused the injury? I daresay yes, Sir, blood and dirt were splattered all around Is it a weapon? Noish, Sir; at least I have never seen a weapon like this. Could it be used as one? Possibly. Is it bigger than a coin, orange, football, suitcase ?About the size of a suitcase, Sir. Does the object belong to Mr Lewis? I assume not, Sir
Shephard (Shephard)

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(sorry, I cant believe I misspelled his name twice. I'm from sweden just so you know)

Questions to Spike: Was Mr Lewin found in a building? Inside something else? Could the object be lifted by one man? Is it commonly used for work, hobbies, by men, adults? Do you think that the object was used to hit mr Lewis? I assume the object is hard all over?
Kaygee (Kaygee)
Username: Kaygee

Post Number: 457
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 7:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Questions for the man that found the victim: Can you tell me your name? Did you see Mr. Lewis just before he was injured? Were you alone? Was there any other person around just before you saw Mr. Lewis? Did anyone come up to the scene shortly after you found Mr. Lewis? Do you live nearby? Did you personally call the ambulance?

Questions to Spike: Is there anything relevant about Mr. Lewis' occupation? Does Mr. Lewis seem to get along with everyone in town? Is Lewis married? Have children living at home? Does he get along with Alistar Greene? Have they ever argued in public?
Is there anything relevant about Mr. Greene's occupation? Is Greene married? Have children living at home? Has Greene been doing anything "out of the norm" lately?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2068
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(sorry, I cant believe I misspelled his name twice. I'm from sweden just so you know) Sorry, Sir, I did not mean to criticize you. Just, you know, the local people can sometimes be quite sensitive...

Questions to Spike: Was Mr Lewin found in a building? No Inside something else? Yes, with svv of "something else" Could the object be lifted by one man? Yes Is it commonly used for work Not anymore, hobbies No; no one wants to go to prison, do they?, by men, Very likely adults Yes? Do you think that the object was used to hit mr Lewis? No I assume the object is hard all over? Yes indeed

Questions for the man that found the victim: Can you tell me your name? Certainly, Sir, I'm Adam Smith Did you see Mr. Lewis just before he was injured? No Were you alone? Yes Was there any other person around just before you saw Mr. Lewis? No Did anyone come up to the scene shortly after you found Mr. Lewis? Yes Do you live nearby? Yes Did you personally call the ambulance? Yes

Questions to Spike: Is there anything relevant about Mr. Lewis' occupation? Don't think so, sir. Does Mr. Lewis seem to get along with everyone in town? Not really Is Lewis married? No Have children living at home? Haha, definitely not. Does he get along with Alistar Greene? Not very well Have they ever argued in public? No, Alistair's not the type to seek conflicts.
Is there anything relevant about Mr. Greene's occupation? No Is Greene married? Yes Have children living at home? Yes but I don't think this is relevant at all Has Greene been doing anything "out of the norm" lately? No, perhaps a little bit more thoughtful than usual
Shephard (Shephard)

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

svv = ?

Questions to Spike: Is the object illegal? Is it commonly used for something illegal? Or used to be? Is it made of stone, metal, plastic, wood? Do we know who's the owner of the object?

Questions for the man that found the victim: Could you tell me who came up to the scene shortly after you found Mr. Lewis?

Question to Greene's wife and children: Did you notice anything at the time of the crime?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2069
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

svv = ? Sufficiently vague values; see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dromioofephesus/Lateral_Puzzles

Questions to Spike: Is the object illegal? Not as such, but... Is it commonly used for something illegal? ...to use it would be illegal Or used to be? There were times when it was perfectly legal to use it Is it made of stone, metalThis, plastic, wood? Do we know who's the owner of the object? I do not know it for sure but it was found on Alistair Greene's property, wasn't it?

Questions for the man that found the victim: Could you tell me who came up to the scene shortly after you found Mr. Lewis? Well, when the ambulance came wailing, Mrs Greene ran out of the house

Question to Greene's wife and children: Did you notice anything at the time of the crime? Mrs. Greene: When I heard the siren wailing, I ran out of the house to see what happened.

The children were sleeping and did not notice anything.
Shephard (Shephard)

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Questions for the man that found the victim: Did someone else come to the scene before Mrs Greene? I'm asking because you earlier stated that someone came there shortly after you found Mr. Lewis. Mrs Greene came when she heard the sirens. I'm assuming it took a while for the ambulance to come?

Question to Greene's wife: When you came out, did you notice anything you think could help the investigation? Do you know anything about the relationship between your husband and mr Lewis? Have your husband been acting any different lately?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2072
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Questions for the man that found the victim: Did someone else come to the scene before Mrs Greene? I'm asking because you earlier stated that someone came there shortly after you found Mr. Lewis. Mrs Greene came when she heard the sirens. I'm assuming it took a while for the ambulance to come? Sorry, Inspector, this was a misunderstanding. No one came before Mrs Greene. I was trying to stop the bleeding and lost the notion of time.

Question to Greene's wife: When you came out, did you notice anything you think could help the investigation? No... No, I do not think so. Do you know anything about the relationship between your husband and mr Lewis? We are neighbours... we knew each other Have your husband been acting any different lately? I do not watch him all the day, you know. And if you mean whether he stopped going to the pub every single evening, then no, he didn't.
Shephard (Shephard)

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Question to the local pub owner: Does Mr Greene come here every night? Have you noticed anything strange or different lately about him? Have you heard him argue with someone?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2075
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Question to the local pub owner: Does Mr Greene come here every night? Yes Have you noticed anything strange or different lately about him? Not really; perhaps he was a little more thoughtful these last days which is quite unusual for him, haha Have you heard him argue with someone? Yes - about a week ago, he had a little row n argument with Adam Smith - it was something over the darts
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2076
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OOPS, sorry for the last post, I pressed a wrong key and sent it before it was finished. It should go like this:

Question to the local pub owner: Does Mr Greene come here every night? Yes Have you noticed anything strange or different lately about him? Not really; perhaps he was a little more thoughtful these last days which is quite unusual for him, haha Have you heard him argue with someone? Yes - about a week ago, he had a little row with Adam Smith over the darts, but it was nothing special and they have made peace already
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 2481
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Describe Lewis's injuries, please.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2077
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Describe Lewis's injuries, please. Who, me, Sir? I have no idea! Spike scratches his head; although I am terribly sorry, I have to remind you that this is not a yes/no question.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 2490
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dammit, then, man, get me the hospital! Or the witness! (This is definitely a yes/no question, as in "Yes SIR!")
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2078
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dammit, then, man, get me the hospital! Yes, Sir! I've got Doctor Larkin on the line, should I pass him over? Or the witness! Adam is still waiting here, please feel free to ask him. (This is definitely a yes/no question, as in "Yes SIR!") YESSIR!
Shephard (Shephard)

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Question to Mr Greene: Do you know why Mr Lewis was attacked on your property? People tell me you've been acting more thoughtful lately. Did something happen a week ago? I heard you arguede with Adam resently at the pub. Has there been any other incidents? Do you have any other issues with eachother besides darts? Do you know why he was at your house when you were at the pub and your children where asleep. I'm sorry for asking, but do you know if he was visiting your wife?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2084
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Question to Mr Greene: Do you know why Mr Lewis was attacked on your property? Yesish People tell me you've been acting more thoughtful lately. Did something happen a week ago? Yes I heard you arguede with Adam resently at the pub. Has there been any other incidents? With Adam Smith? No. Do you have any other issues with eachother besides darts? No Do you know why he was at your house when you were at the pub and your children where asleep. No idea. I'm sorry for asking, but do you know if he was visiting your wife? No, I don't, but for his own sake I hope he wasn't!
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 2573
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Question for Dr Larkin : The Ambulance driver described Mr Lewis as being badly mangled , is that the term you would use as it struck me as a strange thing to say? Are Mr Smith's wounds primarily on his torso? His head? Face? limbs? Does Mr Smith have a good chance of recovery? Are his wounds likely to cause amnesia? Is he conscious? If so have you been able to ask him what happened to him? Again if he's conscious is he fit to be interviewed?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2574
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Question for Mr Greene . Have you played Mr Lewis in a Darts match recently ? If so did he win? Did this make you feel angry?

Does Mr Lewis play Darts with his right hand? Do you consider him a cheat at all? Do you ever bet money on Dart matches? Do you owe him any money? Does he owe you any?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2575
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Question for Alhucema : Are you very proud at having come up with this brilliant puzzle type :0)
Shephard (Shephard)

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Question to Mr Greene:Do you know who attacked mr Lewis? Or du you have any ideas about that?

The thing that happened a week ago, did it have anything to do with family, friends, work, personal, pub, Adam, Lewis?

Does Lewis and your wife seem to get along? Have you had any suspitions at all about Lewis and your wife?

Do you know why Lewis was on your property at the time of the crime?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2086
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Question for Dr Larkin : The Ambulance driver described Mr Lewis as being badly mangled , is that the term you would use as it struck me as a strange thing to say? I think it was quite appropriate, as the wound was a very strange one; I have been treating people for many years but I have never seen anything similar Are Mr Smith's wounds primarily on his torso? This His head? Face? limbs? Does Mr Smith have a good chance of recovery? He will probably not die, if you mean this, but he will never fully recover, either. Are his wounds likely to cause amnesia? I don't think so. Is he conscious? Not at the moment - he required immediate operation and still is heavily sedated. If so have you been able to ask him what happened to him? He has not regained consciousness since he was brought to the hospital; so I am afraid I haven't. Again if he's conscious is he fit to be interviewed? Sorry to deceive you, but not at the moment; we will let you know as soon as he is stabilized enough to answer your questions.

Question for Mr Greene. Have you played Mr Lewis in a Darts match recently ? No - he hardly plays at all. If so did he win? Did this make you feel angry?

Does Mr Lewis play Darts with his right hand? No idea; as I told you, he hardly ever plays Do you consider him a cheat at all? A bloody cheat, yes, that's what he is! Do you ever bet money on Dart matches? Sometimes but I do not think this is relevant Do you owe him any money? No Does he owe you any? No

Question for Alhucema : Are you very proud at having come up with this brilliant puzzle type :0)
Thank you so much! All modesty aside, yes, I am ;-)) and even more so if you enjoy yourselves when asking your questions at least half the way I am enjoying myself when answering them. ;-))

Question to Mr Greene:Do you know who attacked mr Lewis? Yope Or du you have any ideas about that? Yes,I do

The thing that happened a week ago, did it have anything to do with family, friends, work, personal, pub, Adam, Lewis All the above apply, except for work?

Does Lewis and your wife seem to get along? Yes indeed? (grinds his teeth) Have you had any suspitions at all about Lewis and your wife? Suspicions? (Laughs bitterly.)

Do you know why Lewis was on your property at the time of the crime? I suppose I do.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 2508
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doctor Larkin: Was the wound piercing, crushing or slashing? Were there multiple injuries? Were any traces of the weapon left in the wound, and if so, can you identify it?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2092
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doctor Larkin: Was the wound piercing, crushing or slashing? I'd say cutting and crushing. Were there multiple injuries? No, just one. Were any traces of the weapon left in the wound No, and if so, can you identify it? Difficult to say. It is not a clean cut so it probably wasn't anything sharp. On the other hand, to crush a tissue like this must have required a considerable force.
Shephard (Shephard)

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Question to Mr Greene: Was the one who attacked mr Lewis a man/woman? Do you know the person? From work, Pub, other? Do you know why he/she attacked him? The thing that happened a week ago, was it at the pub? Where Adam, Lewis, or wife there? Any other relevant persons? Did something happen that involved all of you?

Question to pub owner: Did something happen in your pub about a week ago? Something involving mr Greene?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2097
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Question to Mr Greene: Was the one who attacked mr Lewis a man This /woman? Do you know the person? Yes From work, Pub, other? All three apply Do you know why he/she attacked him? Yes The thing that happened a week ago, was it at the pub? Yope Where Adam, Lewis, or wife there? Each of them was present at a certain stage Any other relevant persons? No Did something happen that involved all of you?No

Question to pub owner: Did something happen in your pub about a week ago? Yes Something involving mr Greene? Yes
Shephard (Shephard)

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Question to Mr Greene: Did you attack mr Lewis? That day a week ago, did you/your wife find out something that upset you/your wife? Was anyone else involved exept the already mentioned? Was the attacker present at the incident a week ago? Was he involved in what happened?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2106
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Question to Mr Greene: Did you attack mr Lewis? I did not touch him. Anyway, I was in the pub when it happened, wasn't I? You were there too, you had to see me. That day a week ago, did you Yes/your wife find out something that upset youYes/your wife? Was anyone else involved exept the already mentioned? AFAIK, no Was the attacker present at the incident a week ago? What attacker? Was he involved in what happened? When?
Shephard (Shephard)

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what does afaik mean?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2107
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what does afaik mean? As Far As I Know :-))
Shephard (Shephard)

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What does AFAIK mean?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2111
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What does AFAIK mean? see above ;-))
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 2544
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doctor Larkin, can you identify the weapon that was used? If not, can you speculate? LTPF list of possible weapons, if so.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2118
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doctor Larkin, can you identify the weapon that was used? I am not a forensic specialist but I will do my best. If not, can you speculate? Of course. As I've said, the edges of the severed tissue were crushed as if snapped off with something hard and solid but not exactly sharp, and using a considerable force. In the middle, there was a deep triangular hole. LTPF list of possible weapons, if so. What's that? Hope this helps. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. This was a terrible thing to do to a human being.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doctor Larkin, do you believe the victim was pushed onto the object? Could the weapon have been a sundial?
Shephard (Shephard)

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doctor Larkin, could the weapon used be some sort of whip, maybe with metal balls and pieces of bone?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2592
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doctor Larkin could it have actually been a Mangle?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2120
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doctor Larkin, do you believe the victim was pushed onto the object? I am not able to tell. I can neither confirm nor exclude this. Could weapon have been a sundial? No, because the damaged tissue was crushed symetrically from both sides.

Doctor Larkin, could the weapon used be some sort of whip, maybe with metal balls and pieces of bone? Again, I don't think so, because the wound looks like the force was evenly spread.

Doctor Larkin could it have actually been a Mangle? Here, I am positive not because the part under the wound would have been crushed as well, while in this case it was virtually untouched.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 2567
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 4:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doctor, are there traces of the person who attacked him? Scraps of clothing, blood, hair, fingerprints, DNA (dunno if you can check for the latter, but I gotta ask)?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2124
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doctor, are there traces of the person who attacked him? Scraps of clothing, blood, hair, fingerprints, DNA (dunno if you can check for the latter, but I gotta ask)? Nothing like that. We found stains of blood and dirt on his clothing. I expected you would be asking so I sent them to the lab - the dirt is faeces which belongs to Mr Lewis, as well as the blood.
Shephard (Shephard)

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr Greene, the thing that upset you a week ago, did it involv your wife, Lewis, Adam, someone else relevant from work, pub, family?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2127
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr Greene, the thing that upset you a week ago, did it involv your wife, Lewis, Adam I was upset by all three of them during that evening., someone else relevant from work, pub, family? No
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2607
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Question for Spike from Inspector Millet :

"Well Spike this is a most intriguing case and we've learned much in the short time since the crime took place. Can you give a brief summary of what we've learned so far as I for one am getting confused by all the names and it's your town and you know these people"
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2608
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I assure you that I don't need a recap but it's clear that Millet does ;O)
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2144
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Question for Spike from Inspector Millet :

"Well Spike this is a most intriguing case and we've learned much in the short time since the crime took place. Can you give a brief summary of what we've learned so far as I for one am getting confused by all the names and it's your town and you know these people"
Spike shuffles his feet quite reluctantly but then he provides you a

RECAP:

A wounded man named John LEWIS was found near the home of Alistair GREENE and his wife by a witness called Adam SMITH.

As for the description of the crime scene: blood and dirt were splattered all around. We found an object at the crime scene which is made of metal, is about the size of a suitcase and can be lifted with one hand. Does not look as if belonging to Lewis. To use it wasn’t illegal in earlier days but would probably be illegal today.

Lewis‘s occupation not relevant. Does not get along with people/Greene very well. Never argued in public, though. Not married, no kids.

MRS GREENE: when she heard the ambulance, she ran out of the house. Did not notice anything special. Seems a bit bitter about the fact her husband spends every single evening in the local pub.

PUB OWNER: confirmed that Mr Greene comes to the pub every night. Says Mr Greene seemed a bit thoughtful these last days which is unusual for him. A week earlier, he had a row about the darts with Adam Smith, but they have made peace since.

DR LARKIN: describes Lewis’s wound as a very strange one he had never seen before. There was cutting and crushing single wound on the man's torso. No traces of the weapon left in the wound. Cannot identify the weapon but can make an educated guess. Says that it probably wasn’t sharp but was able to produce considerable force to smash the tissue. Says that some tissue has been severed as if snapped off with something hard and solid but not very sharp. In the middle, there was a deep triangular hole. The tissue was crushed symetrically from both sides and the force seemed to be evenly spread. There is a part of the tissue under the wound which remained untouched. Is positive that the weapon was not a sundial, a whip or a mangle. Says stains of Lewis’s blood and faeces were found on Lewis’s clothing. Confirms that Lewis will not die but will never fully recover. Lewis is not conscious at the moment and cannot be interviewed but Dr Larkin promised to let us know when he wakes up and is fit enough to be asked questions.

Alistair GREENE: married, has kids (but irrelevant). A little bit more thoughtful than usual lately. Confirms something relevant happened a week ago. The incident with Adam Smith was the only one he had with him, otherwise he does not have anything against Smith. Cannot explain why Smith was near his house the night when Lewis was injured. Appears to be quite jealous. Says that Lewis almost never plays darts. Seems to be angry with Lewis for some reason, calls him a cheat. Confirms that Lewis does not owe him any money, or vice versa. When asked whether Lewis was on good terms with his (Greene’s) wife, he confirms it and seems to be very bitter about that. Seems to know the reason why Lewis was on his property the night when he was injured. Says Lewis was attacked by a man and that he (Greene) knows the man. Claims that he (Greene) was in the pub at the moment when Lewis was injured (both myself and you can confirm this as we saw him there) and that he had not touched Lewis.
When asked about the incident a week earlier ago, he says that both Adam Smith, Alastair Lewis and Mrs Greene were present at a certain stage of the incident but the incident did not involve all three of them at once. He claims that he found out something that upset him.No other persons relevant to the incident.

Adam SMITH: Found the victim, called the ambulance. Says he lives nearby, that no one was around when he found Mr Lewis. Says Mrs Greene came out of the house after the ambulance arrived.

He lights a cigarette and barely audibly mumbles: Well, I'm just a Constable. Am I really assumed to do all the work for the miserable pay I am getting?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dr. Larkin, does it appear that the metal object found at the scene could be the weapon used on Lewis?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2145
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dr. Larkin, does it appear that the metal object found at the scene could be the weapon used on Lewis? It is very likely that the wound was caused by a metal object. However, I have not seen the object. If you let me have a look at it I could match it with Mr Lewis's wound and tell you almost for sure.
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 1773
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you so much for the clear and concise recap, Spike. Now, would you please show Dr. Larkin the metal object in the evidence locker, and hear what he has to say about it? Then you can let him check if his patient has come to yet.
Mr. Greene: Do you suspect your wife of having an affair? With Mr. Lewis? Of wanting to leave you? Or is there some other relevant issues with your marriage? Are you friends with Mr. Smith?
Mr. Smith: Is your occupation relevant in this case? If so, which of the following is it that you do? [present him with the LTPF list of occupations]
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2148
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you so much for the clear and concise recap, Spike. You are welcome, Sir. Hope it will show on my payroll check. Now, would you please show Dr. Larkin the metal object in the evidence locker, and hear what he has to say about it? Sure, Sir. Dr Larkin has compared the metal object against Mr Lewis's wound and says he is pretty certain the injury was caused by it. Then you can let him check if his patient has come to yet. Unfortunately, not yet.
Mr. Greene: Do you suspect your wife of having an affair? Yes; and not just suspect, y'know. With Mr. Lewis? Yes; that dirty bastard! Of wanting to leave you? I do not think so; I rather think that the little b*?!ch wanted to have me for money and him for...bursts into angry tears Or is there some other relevant issues with your marriage? No. Doesn't it seem enough to you? Are you friends with Mr. Smith? I'd say so, Johnnie is a good mate.
Mr. Smith: Is your occupation relevant in this case? Not really, I'm afraid. If so, which of the following is it that you do? [present him with the LTPF list of occupations]
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2152
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2010 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have picked up the receiver in your office. The booming voice of Inspector Rice almost rips off your ears.

"How does that case of the injured man proceed, Millet? You have not reported to me for several days. What you are doing down there, twiddling your thumbs?"
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2010 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Sorry, Chief Inspector, but the employees at the donut shop went on strike. Couldn't work without proper fuel. Case is going just fine!"

Anyway...

Spike, is the metal object completely made of metal? Or are there some, say, plastic parts? Is it irregularly shaped? Does it have a handle?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2158
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2010 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Then, for God's sake, man, keep it moving!"

You hear a slam of the receiver on the other end, and take a deep breath.

Anyway...

Spike, is the metal object completely made of metal? Yes, Sir Or are there some, say, plastic parts? No, Sir. Is it irregularly shaped?I wouldn't say so, Sir Does it have a handle? No, Sir
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2609
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2010 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spike . To your knowledge was this metal object used only by a particular occupation? When it was legal to use it was it considered a weapon?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2164
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spike . To your knowledge was this metal object used only by a particular occupation? Mostly yes, but there were times when it came handy to almost everyone who could afford it... When it was legal to use it was it considered a weapon? Not exactly a weapon but you are very close
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1722
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr Smith: Are you aware of the affair between Mrs Green and Mr Lewis? Has Mr. Green spoken to you about it recently?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2169
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr Smith: Are you aware of the affair between Mrs Green and Mr Lewis? What? Alice and John were having....? Well, when I give it a second thought, it's no wonder. When a husband spends all the evenings in the pub, it is only natural for his wife to get bored and look for...erm, another distraction. Has Mr. Green spoken to you about it recently? No, I hear it for the first time.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1783
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spike: Is the object a trap of some sort? Is it designed to: hurt? Kill? Destroy? Was it primarily used on: people? Animals? Objects? Can it be called a tool? Machine? Antiquity? When it was used on Mr. Lewis, was it used the way it was designed to be?

Ask all involved: did the object belong to you? Do you know who it belongs to? Or where it came from?

Mrs. Greene: As you had an...ahem...close relationship to Mr. Lewis, maybe you can shed some more light on this? Do you think Mr. Lewis getting hurt was related to what...transpired between you two? If not, can you speculate as to why? Do you know who did it? Did something happen recently that changed your relation to him? Did you know that your husband had found out about your...hm...little adventures?

Mr. Greene: Did you find out about your wife's affair a week ago? Or was it something else that happened, that since then occupied your thoughts? Did you perhaps begin to suspect because of what transpired then, but not become sure until later? Did you find out/get suspicions about the affair from [LTPF list of people invovled in this puzzle]? Or by yourself?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2207
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spike: Is the object a trap of some sort? I'd say so, Sir Is it designed to: hurt? Reckon this, Sir Kill? Destroy? Was it primarily used on: people? Animals? As far as I know, this, Sir. Objects? Can it be called a tool? Machine? Antiquity? Sort of. When it was used on Mr. Lewis, was it used the way it was designed to be? Not completely sure about this, Sir. There was something strange about the wound...

Ask all involved: did the object belong to you? Do you know who it belongs to? Or where it came from? Mr Greene claims that the object used to belong to his grandfather and that it now belongs to himself

Mrs. Greene: As you had an...ahem...close relationship to Mr. Lewis, maybe you can shed some more light on this? I'd do my best, Inspector. ...sniff... Do you think Mr. Lewis getting hurt was related to what...transpired between you two? I think...sniff ... it is well possible, Inspector If not, can you speculate as to why? I can't think of any other reason... Do you know who did it? I did not SEE anybody, but I am afraid I suspect my husband. Did something happen recently that changed your relation to him? Nothing that I am aware of Did you know that your husband had found out about your...hm...little adventures? No, I don't... we thought we were so careful!

Mr. Greene: Did you find out about your wife's affair a week ago? Yes! clenches his fists Or was it something else that happened, that since then occupied your thoughts? No. I think that would be enough to occupy YOUR mind, wouldn't it? Did you perhaps begin to suspect because of what transpired then, but not become sure until later? No; I was pretty sure right then. Did you find out/get suspicions about the affair from [LTPF list of people invovled in this puzzle]? Or by yourself? I saw it with me own eyes, I did!
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spike, do you reckon somebody could've set the trap for Mr. Lewis? Or, as the wound seemed odd for this sort of device, do you think a person had to be present and wield the trap? Do you think the trap was modified in some way to cause the wound?
The pieces seem to be fitting, don't they: Mr. Greene finds out his wife has an affair, sets a trap for his rival, who goes into it and is gravely injured. All okay so far, right? Now, the details of the trap and how it was used are important for our case, are they not? Do you think we should also look into how the affair was discovered, just so that we have a clear picture of how everything happened? The row about the dart game earlier seems somehow connected to all this, don't you agree?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2229
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spike, do you reckon somebody could've set the trap for Mr. Lewis? I think it is very likely, Sir. Or, as the wound seemed odd for this sort of device, do you think a person had to be present and wield the trap? No, as far as I know, this kind of traps need just a slight impulse and they go off by themselves, Sir. Do you think the trap was modified in some way to cause the wound? I have no idea, Sir.
The pieces seem to be fitting, don't they: Mr. Greene finds out his wife has an affair, sets a trap for his rival, who goes into it and is gravely injured. All okay so far, right? It seems a perfect deduction to me, Sir. Now, the details of the trap and how it was used are important for our case, are they not? They are indeed, Sir. Do you think we should also look into how the affair was discovered, just so that we have a clear picture of how everything happened? It would certainly help, Sir. The row about the dart game earlier seems somehow connected to all this, don't you agree? I do, definitely, Sir.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 2648
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the trap a mousetrap? Was it modified somehow to do somewhat different damage? Perhaps with nails attached to the bar? Or darts? These would both crush and pierce.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2230
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the trap a mousetrap? 'Fraid not, Sir. Was it modified somehow to do somewhat different damage? The forensic guys say it has not been tampered with, Sir Perhaps with nails attached to the bar? Or darts? These would both crush and pierce. You are a lateral genius, Sir. However, I am pretty certain that the marks on Lewis's body cannot have been caused with darts.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2623
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry to be graphic Spike but do you think the presence of excrement on Mr Lewis' person was as a result of a sudden fright or because he was trapped for a considerable period of time and nature took it's course?

Maybe we should ask the doc for his estimation of the time difference between Mr Lewis being found and his injuries occuring. Ask him if it's less than 1 hour ? less than 3? less than 10? longer?

Is the trap the body gripping sort used to catch Bears or Deer? or is it a foot trap used for smaller animals?

And while I'm at it spike is it possible that someone knowing Mr Lewis would be passing that way created a pit trap for Mr Lewis to fall into? Maybe they removed a manhole cover and camoflagued it knowing Mr Lewis would fall in?
Deathateaster (Deathateaster)
Username: Deathateaster

Post Number: 266
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greene;
You saw the affair with your own eyes? Did you see;
- them kissing?
- them talking?
- your wife on the phone to him?
- a message from/to your wife?
- something else?

Did Lewis tell you about it? Did he imply it at any point?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2231
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry to be graphic Spike but do you think the presence of excrement on Mr Lewis' person was as a result of a sudden fright or because he was trapped for a considerable period of time and nature took it's course? No need to apologize, Sir. During all the years in our profession, one gets accustomed to worse things than that. Back to your question, I am not able to tell for sure; I am just thinking that if he were trapped for a long time, he would probably have his pants on and would, erm, soil rather the pants than have it splattered all around. I do apologize, Sir, now it's me who is graphic.

Maybe we should ask the doc for his estimation of the time difference between Mr Lewis being found and his injuries occuring. Ask him if it's less than 1 hour ? less than 3? less than 10? longer? The Doc says it could not have been more than one hour; the wound was pretty fresh, Sir.

Is the trap the body gripping sort used to catch Bears or Deer? or is it a foot trap used for smaller animals? It is a solid bear trap, Sir.

And while I'm at it spike is it possible that someone knowing Mr Lewis would be passing that way created a pit trap for Mr Lewis to fall into? Maybe they removed a manhole cover and camoflagued it knowing Mr Lewis would fall in? With your permission, no, Sir; as I've mentioned earlier, it was a bear trap.

Greene;
You saw the affair with your own eyes? Yes; in fact I saw enough to be sure they are having one. Did you see;
- them kissing? YESSS! Spits out a few very rude insults I am ashamed to repeat here.
- them talking?
- your wife on the phone to him?
- a message from/to your wife?
- something else? No to the rest; I saw them kissing and that was it. Swears again.

Did Lewis tell you about it? Did he imply it at any point? No to both; the ba**rd knew very well that if I suspected something, I'd beat the holy living hell outta him!
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 2654
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 4:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, Spike, why the hell didn't you tell me it was a bear trap? And don't answer that question with "You never asked, Sir."

Greene: Do you love your wife? If so, how much? Did you suspect the affair before you saw it?

Also, I'm required to ask this by law: Do you want a lawyer?

Doctor: Is it clear how long Lewis was in the trap? Was he in it when he arrived at the hospital? When he was found? Is the blood all his own? The excrement?

Spike, given the conventions of murder mysteries, I don't want to only target the obvious suspect. You know, just in case. Have you checked the alibis of the other suspects - Mrs. Greene, for example?

Are there fingerprints on the bear trap? Any other indication of who it belonged to? Is Mr. Greene a farmer, poacher or otherwise someone who might be expected to own a bear trap? Is anyone else? Does anyone collect such things?

How does one go about getting a warrant in this town?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2242
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, Spike, why the hell didn't you tell me it was a bear trap? And don't answer that question with "You never asked, Sir." Well, Sir, you never... er, I mean, I did not want to underestimate your deductive abilities.

Greene: Do you love your wife? What a question! Of course I do love her, she is my wife, ain't she?. If so, how much? Enough no to let any dirty b**rd lay his dirty hands on her! Did you suspect the affair before you saw it? No! She had no reason to do this to me, I was working hard, giving her lots of money, I was taking care of the house, what more can a wife expect from a husband?

Also, I'm required to ask this by law: Do you want a lawyer? What for? I will tell you everything you want.

Doctor: Is it clear how long Lewis was in the trap? A matter of seconds, I think. Was he in it when he arrived at the hospital? No When he was found? Probably not. Is the blood all his own? The excrement? The DNA tests say yes to both.

Spike, given the conventions of murder mysteries, I don't want to only target the obvious suspect. Yes, Sir. Very wise, Sir. You know, just in case. Of course, Sir. Have you checked the alibis of the other suspects - Mrs. Greene, for example? Well, let's see.

Mrs Greene - says she was sleeping in the house when it happened. No witnesses, as the children were sleeping as well.
Adam Smith - says he was walking along the street past the Greenes' house when he heard someone moaning. He took a closer look, discovered the wounded John Lewis and called the ambulance. No witnesses before the ambulance arrived.
Alistair Greene - was in the pub when John Lewis was wounded. There are many witnesses, including the pubkeeper, you and myself

I hope I did not leave out anyone.

Are there fingerprints on the bear trap? The forensics say there are Alistair Greene's fingerprints and some old fingerprints they were unable to identify. Any other indication of who it belonged to? Is Mr. Greene a farmer, poacher or otherwise someone who might be expected to own a bear trap? Is anyone else? Does anyone collect such things? Well, Sir, Alistair's grandfather was a famous - or rather infamous - poacher.

How does one go about getting a warrant in this town? No problem, Sir. I will ask Judge Barley to issue one as soon as you tell me to.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1825
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Greene: Did you set the bear trap for Mr. Lewis?
Mr. Smith: Was Mr. Lewis stuck in the bear trap when you discovered him?
Were you on Mr. Greene's property for some other reason? Or were you just passing by, when you heard Mr. Lewis and went to investigate? Do you know what Mr. Lewis was doing on Mr. Greene's property? Do you know if he used to go there?
We heard that you had a row with Mr. Greene over a game of darts a week ago, did something relevant happen? Did he leave the pub? Is it relevant why you were fighting?
Spike, can you check with he good Doctor if his patient is fit to be interviewed yet?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2253
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Greene: Did you set the bear trap for Mr. Lewis? Yes, I did.
Mr. Smith: Was Mr. Lewis stuck in the bear trap when you discovered him? No, he wasn't.
Were you on Mr. Greene's property for some other reason? No. Or were you just passing by, when you heard Mr. Lewis and went to investigate? This. Do you know what Mr. Lewis was doing on Mr. Greene's property? Well, after what was said here, I start to suspect it, but I did not know it then. Do you know if he used to go there? No idea, Inspector.
We heard that you had a row with Mr. Greene over a game of darts a week ago, did something relevant happen? Well, Alistair was very angry - it is quite easy to upset him, y'know - ... Did he leave the pub? ...and he left the pub. Is it relevant why you were fighting? I don't think so, I do not even remember it.
Spike, can you check with he good Doctor if his patient is fit to be interviewed yet? I am calling him right away, Sir.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1877
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aha, a confession! Spike my good man, it seems we have solved the biggest parts of our mystery. Listen to this.
Mr. Greene, a fellow not too bright it seems, spends every single night at the pub. His poor wife, bereft of the pleasures she thought a husband would give her seeks it elsewhere eventually and takes Mr. Lewis as her lover. They count on Mr. Greene's habit to keep from being discovered, but it all goes awry one night when Mr. Greene leaves the bar in anger after an argument with Mr. Smith.
He discovers the infidelity, and starts to plot his revenge over the next week. He remember his grandfather's bear trap, and sets it for Mr. Lewis one night before going off to the pub.
The exact detals of how and where the trap was set, how Mr. Lewis got into (and out of) it, and without his pants on, are a bit fuzzy. Maybe he was in the habit of entering through a specific window or gate? Maybe he was in a hurry to get away for some reason? In any case, Mr. Smith discovered him and called the ambulance.
Does this all sound satisfactory to you? Or do you think we should figure out more of the grisly details? Or is somethin amiss or not accounted for in my summary?
What did the doctor say, anyway?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2272
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aha, a confession! Spike my good man, it seems we have solved the biggest parts of our mystery. Listen to this. Sorry I am late, Sir, I have been running all the way from the hospital. But now I am all ears, Sir. Mr. Greene, a fellow not too bright it seems, spends every single night at the pub. His poor wife, bereft of the pleasures she thought a husband would give her seeks it elsewhere eventually and takes Mr. Lewis as her lover. They count on Mr. Greene's habit to keep from being discovered, but it all goes awry one night when Mr. Greene leaves the bar in anger after an argument with Mr. Smith.
He discovers the infidelity, and starts to plot his revenge over the next week. He remember his grandfather's bear trap, and sets it for Mr. Lewis one night before going off to the pub. That is amazing, Sir. I deeply admire your power of deduction. I think it had to happen exactly as you say.
The exact detals of how and where the trap was set, how Mr. Lewis got into (and out of) it, and without his pants on, are a bit fuzzy. I completely agree, Sir. Maybe he was in the habit of entering through a specific window or gate? I think this is very likely, Sir. Maybe he was in a hurry to get away for some reason? I am not sure about this, Sir. In any case, Mr. Smith discovered him and called the ambulance. Definitely, Sir.
Does this all sound satisfactory to you? As I have said, Sir, you are a genius. I stand in deep admiration of your reasoning abilities, Sir. Or do you think we should figure out more of the grisly details? I should think so, Sir. There is one weird detail that does not fit into the overall puzzle, but I think you've got the rest spot on. Or is somethin amiss or not accounted for in my summary? You have inferred all perfectly, Sir, there is just the small detail which keeps worrying me.
What did the doctor say, anyway? The Doctor told me that the patient had come round and was fit for interview; however, as I arrived to the hospital, the Doc was fretting as John Lewis just attempted to kill himself when he learned about the exact nature of the wound he had suffered.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 203
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spike, could Mr. Lewis have expected the trap? Possibly he was trying to avoid it, but fell into it anyway? Do you believe Mr. Lewis was entering or exiting the house when he ended up in the trap?

Doctor, despite the circumstances, may we still interview the victim? Did he say anything before, as, or after he attempted suicide? If so, what did he say?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2274
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spike, could Mr. Lewis have expected the trap? Possibly, Sir. Possibly he was trying to avoid it, but fell into it anyway? Hard to say, Sir. Do you believe Mr. Lewis was entering or exiting the house when he ended up in the trap? No idea, Sir.

Doctor, despite the circumstances, may we still interview the victim? Well... go ahead if you insist, Inspector, but I must warn you that Mr Lewis is heavily sedated and in a very bad psychical condition Did he say anything before, as, or after he attempted suicide? If so, what did he say? If I remember well, he said something along the line that life has lost all its attraction for him now.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2650
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahem.. how do i put this... Spike could you ask the doctor if Mr Lewis has lost or suffered injury in an area that most men hold dear... that is to say will his injuries prevent him from enjoying the more physical aspects of amorous relationships... Oh for god sake Spike take that puzzled look of your face I'm referring to his genitalia .. have they been damaged beyond repair?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2279
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahem.. how do i put this... Spike could you ask the doctor if Mr Lewis has lost or suffered injury in an area that most men hold dear... that is to say will his injuries prevent him from enjoying the more physical aspects of amorous relationships... Oh for god sake Spike take that puzzled look of your face I'm referring to his genitalia .. have they been damaged beyond repair?

This is a very delicate way to put it, Sir. But you are absolutely right. Actually, I saw John's... erm, privates in a glass jar on the Doc's table. Yuck.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2651
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ouch thanks for that Spike and cancel my lunch order for Bangers & Mash !!!

Mr Greene did you plant the trap in your own marital bed? Was it your intention to emm... emasculate Mr Lewis?

Mrs Greene when the trap sprung did you clothe the wounded Mr Lewis and take him outside to make it seem like that's where the incident happened.

Doctor is it conceivable that Mr Lewis was naked when he suffered his injuries?

Spike this crime brings a whole new meaning to an eye for an eye.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2280
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ouch thanks for that Spike and cancel my lunch order for Bangers & Mash !!! Good idea, Sir. I think I am going to skip my lunch, too.

Mr Greene did you plant the trap in your own marital bed? Look, Inspector, Ah know that you think that ah'm not very bright but do you really take me for a moron? Was it your intention to emm... emasculate Mr Lewis? Em..emins... what? Can't deny I felt like ripping his *** off after what I saw last week, but I did not do it. Honest.

Mrs Greene when the trap sprung did you clothe the wounded Mr Lewis and take him outside to make it seem like that's where the incident happened. No, Inspector!

Doctor is it conceivable that Mr Lewis was naked when he suffered his injuries? Not just conceivable - I am pretty certain he was.

Spike this crime brings a whole new meaning to an eye for an eye. I agree, Sir. I wonder whether the Bible covers that, too.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2654
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deduction from Millett :

Mr Greene knows his wife is having an affair with Mr Lewis. Greene asks his friend Mr Smith to call to his house one night while Greene is in the pub and Mr Lewis is having his way with Mrs Greene. Greene gives Smith his housekey and asks him to noisely enter the house shouting I'm home. Green has set up the bear trap somewhere where men who are caught in bed with other men's wives would normally hide e.g. in a wardrobe or more likely just outside the bedroom window which is on ground level. So Smith enters the house and shouts "I'm home" cue panic in the bedroom . Mr Lewis jumps naked from the bed and out the bedroom window only to land directly into the trap and wakes up in hospital minus his wedding tackle.

Mrs Greene then (possibly with Mr Smith's help) clothes poor Mr Lewis and Smith calls for an ambulance and the police. I just can't work out if Mr Smith knew what was going to happen or did he think that what he did would be harmless. And all the while Mr Greene has an alibi from anybody present in the pub.

How does any of this sound Spike?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2281
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deduction from Millett :

Mr Greene knows his wife is having an affair with Mr Lewis. Greene asks his friend Mr Smith to call to his house one night while Greene is in the pub and Mr Lewis is having his way with Mrs Greene. Greene gives Smith his housekey and asks him to noisely enter the house shouting I'm home. Green has set up the bear trap somewhere where men who are caught in bed with other men's wives would normally hide e.g. in a wardrobe or more likely just outside the bedroom window which is on ground level. So Smith enters the house and shouts "I'm home" cue panic in the bedroom . Mr Lewis jumps naked from the bed and out the bedroom window only to land directly into the trap and wakes up in hospital minus his wedding tackle.

Mrs Greene then (possibly with Mr Smith's help) clothes poor Mr Lewis and Smith calls for an ambulance and the police. I just can't work out if Mr Smith knew what was going to happen or did he think that what he did would be harmless. And all the while Mr Greene has an alibi from anybody present in the pub.

How does any of this sound Spike? Erm...how to put this, Sir.... there are certainly many interesting and very intelligent ideas but the whole picture seems to be somewhat... unlikely. Sorry to say that, Sir.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 245
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm...Spike, was Mr. Lewis clothed when he was found?

Doctor, other than his, erm, "personal" personal effects, were any other items on him when he was admitted?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2286
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm...Spike, was Mr. Lewis clothed when he was found? How should I know, Sir? I arrived at the crime scene along with you, remember? He was lying on the gurney, and was covered all over with a blanket.

Doctor, other than his, erm, "personal" personal effects, were any other items on him when he was admitted? If I remember well, Inspector, his upper torso was dressed, and he had his socks and shoes on. No pants. But these may have been removed by the paramedics, given the nature of his injury.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1958
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doctor: You have seen the bear trap, do you think it probable that all of Mr. Lewis' injuries were caused by the trap? Or do you think something or someone caused him additional injury? An animal perhaps?

Mrs. Greene: You did not suspect that Mr. Lewis would get hurt, is that right? Was he with you before he got hurt? Did he leave in a hurry? Or in an unusual way? Did you hear anything suspicious?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2289
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doctor: You have seen the bear trap, do you think it probable that all of Mr. Lewis' injuries were caused by the trap? Or do you think something or someone caused him additional injury? An animal perhaps? I'd say all Mr Lewis's injuries were caused by the trap.

Mrs. Greene: You did not suspect that Mr. Lewis would get hurt, is that right? Of course not... sniff, sniff Was he with you before he got hurt? No Did he leave in a hurry? Or in an unusual way? Did you hear anything suspicious? No
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1963
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Greene: did you intend to injure Mr. Lewis' genitals? Did you place the trap in a way to make such injury likely?

Mrs. Greene: Was Mr. Lewis on his way to you? Or were you on your way to him? Did you have a special place where you conducted your...affair? A special routine? Would he give you a sign when he was...ready for you? Or would you give him one? Do you know why he was naked? Do you think he was expecting you?

Doctor, I've heard enough of the details that I'm quite positive I don't need to se this... this jar with my own eyes. So please put it away when we decide to go se Mr. Lewis.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2292
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Greene: did you intend to injure Mr. Lewis' genitals? No, Inspector! Did you place the trap in a way to make such injury likely? Definitely not.

Mrs. Greene: Was Mr. Lewis on his way to you? I think so... poor John! Or were you on your way to him? No Did you have a special place where you conducted your...affair? In our bedroom, naturally. Why? A special routine? Well..John would usually come when he knew Alistair was in the pub and the kids were sleeping. Would he give you a sign when he was...ready for you? Sort of; when he sneaked through the hole in the fence and came to the house, he usually knocked on the door, or gave me a ring on my mobile phone. Or would you give him one? I sometimes called him when the coast was clear. Do you know why he was naked? I have no idea, Inspector. Do you think he was expecting you? Well, I think he was coming to see me.

Doctor, I've heard enough of the details that I'm quite positive I don't need to se this... this jar with my own eyes. So please put it away when we decide to go se Mr. Lewis. Of course, Inspector. And I do apologize to Mr Spike, it was certainly not very professional of me to leave that... thing in plain sight.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1969
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spike, lock up Mr. Greene, and see to it that our witnesses are comfortable. I don't see any reason to lock anyone else up, do you? But you can tell them it would be very much appreciated if they staid for a little while longer, as I may need to ask further questions. And now we'll go se Mr. Lewis.

Mr. Lewis: we have a pretty clear picture of what happened, and have the responsible person under arrest, we just want you to fill in a few details. Now then: you were on your way over to Mrs. Greene when this happened, correct? Was the trap behind or in the hole in the fence? Did you manage to get out of the trap by yourself? Or did you have help? Were you naked when you went in the trap? Were you intending to surprise and delight Mrs. Greene by coming to the house naked? Were you crawling, so as not to be seen?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2295
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spike, lock up Mr. Greene, and see to it that our witnesses are comfortable. I don't see any reason to lock anyone else up, do you? But you can tell them it would be very much appreciated if they staid for a little while longer, as I may need to ask further questions. As you wish, Sir. Running all the way, Sir. And now we'll go se Mr. Lewis. Certainly, Sir. Good idea, Sir.

Mr. Lewis: we have a pretty clear picture of what happened, and have the responsible person under arrest, we just want you to fill in a few details. Now then: you were on your way over to Mrs. Greene when this happened, correct? Yes...that is correct. Was the trap behind or in the hole in the fence? Behind.... on the Greenes' garden. Did you manage to get out of the trap by yourself? I did not... get out of the trap. They...the doctors told me I was lying...beside the trap when they found me. Or did you have help? Were you naked when you went in the trap? I was... partly naked when... this...this horrible thing happened. Were you intending to surprise and delight Mrs. Greene Yes sobs incontrollably for a good while by coming to the house naked? ...but not in this manner. Were you crawling, so as not to be seen? No...
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1974
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you fall unconscious, stuck in the trap? Did you notice Mr. Smith, the man that discovered you? can you say if all your injuries were caused by getting caught in the trap? Were you wearing something especially relevant? Could that have contributed to your injuries? Was the trap lying on the ground? Did you fall into it? Walk into it?
Doctor: can you say if the injuries were all caused by getting caught in the trap? Or if some were caused by being extracted from the trap? Do you think Mr. Lewis could have fallen out of the trap while unconscious?
Spike: do you agree that the only missing piece now is how Mr. Lewis' injures were caused, and how he got out of the trap? Do you think Mr. Smith needs further questioning?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2296
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you fall unconscious Yes..., stuck in the trap?No...the doctor said that my...my private parts were cut clean off starts sobbing again Did you notice Mr. Smith, the man that discovered you? Hardly... can you say if all your injuries were caused by getting caught in the trap? I was told so... by Dr Larkin... Were you wearing something especially relevant? No... I was dressed ... as usual. Could that have contributed to your injuries? I told you, Inspector... I was not wearing anything special...if you mean that. Was the trap lying on the ground? Yes, it was. Did you fall into it? No. Walk into it? Not that, either.
Doctor: can you say if the injuries were all caused by getting caught in the trap? Definitely. Or if some were caused by being extracted from the trap? As Mr Lewis already told you, I think that there was no need to extract him from the trap - the jaws were very strong and... well, everything was snapped off right away. I'd rather spare you the details. Do you think Mr. Lewis could have fallen out of the trap while unconscious? As I said above.
Spike: do you agree that the only missing piece now is how Mr. Lewis' injures were caused, and how he got out of the trap? Absolutely, Sir. Do you think Mr. Smith needs further questioning?No, I think he already told us everything we needed to know, Sir.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1977
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah Spike, it seems like I had a misconception abut the exact nature of mr. Lewis' injury.
Mr. Lewis: did you sit down on the trap? Lie down on it?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2662
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spike just on how Mr Lewis got out of the trap have we now established that he didn't have to get out of it as the only ahem.. part of him that entered the trap was removed by same?

And no Spike I am not crying but thinking about Mr Lewis' injury is making my eyes water!!.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2305
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah Spike, it seems like I had a misconception abut the exact nature of mr. Lewis' injury. I'd never dare to suggest such a thing, Sir.
Mr. Lewis: did you sit down on the trap? No, but... Lie down on it? God, no!

Spike just on how Mr Lewis got out of the trap have we now established that he didn't have to get out of it as the only ahem.. part of him that entered the trap was removed by same? This is how I understand it too, Sir.

And no Spike I am not crying but thinking about Mr Lewis' injury is making my eyes water!!. Please don't remind me about that, Sir. It will haunt me a long time after this case is concluded.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 264
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Lewis, were you running when you hit the trap? Did you see the trap before being caught in it? Did you jump into it somehow? Kneel on it?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2306
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Lewis, were you running when you hit the trap? No Did you see the trap before being caught in it? Yes, I did... Did you jump into it somehow? No Kneel on it?No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Um... Mr. Lewis, I'm terribly sorry to have to ask this, but... did you intentionally stick your privates into the trap? To frame Mr. Greene?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2308
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Um... Mr. Lewis, I'm terribly sorry to have to ask this, but... did you intentionally stick your privates into the trap? No way... Inspector. Would you? To frame Mr. Greene? No.That would...be too high a price, Inspector.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 270
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course, Mr. Lewis. I'm terribly sorry for that.

Spike, where did you lock up Mr. Greene? No, not in my house! He's supposed to be in jail.

Mr. Greene, did you set the bear trap so Lewis would get caught in it? Or did you set it to catch something else? Someone else?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2314
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course, Mr. Lewis. I'm terribly sorry for that.

Spike, where did you lock up Mr. Greene? No, not in my house! He's supposed to be in jail. Sure, Sir. I just thought he deserved some really deterring experience before being locked up. Sorry for that, Sir!

Mr. Greene, did you set the bear trap so Lewis would get caught in it? Yes, but... Or did you set it to catch something else? No Someone else? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 283
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Greene, did you set the trap alone? Did you set it the same day Lewis got caught in it?

Mr. Lewis, when you saw the trap, did you think anything of it? Was the trap disguised at all?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2315
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Greene, did you set the trap alone? Yes Did you set it the same day Lewis got caught in it? Yes

Mr. Lewis, when you saw the trap, did you think anything of it? Yes indeed... Was the trap disguised at all? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 299
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Lewis, were you expecting the trap? Did you know it was intended for you? Were you inspecting it when you got caught in it? Were your pants on when you ended up in the trap? Did you know who set it?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2322
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Lewis, were you expecting the trap? No Did you know it was intended for you? Yes Were you inspecting it when you got caught in it?No Were your pants on when you ended up in the trap? No Did you know who set it? Yes, Inspector.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 301
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Lewis, were you...um...relieving yourself when you hit the trap? About to "start the relief process"?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2323
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Lewis, were you...um...relieving yourself when you hit the trap? Yes, Inspector... About to "start the relief process"?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 302
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Lewis, was the trap placed on the ground? Did you see it well before you were caught in it?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2324
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Lewis, was the trap placed on the ground? Yes, Inspector.Did you see it well before you were caught in it? Yes, Inspector.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 303
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you relieving yourself into the trap? Near it? Did you know what it was when you saw it?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2325
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you relieving yourself into the trap? Yes indeed, Inspector. Near it? Did you know what it was when you saw it? Yes with a tiny -ish, Inspector.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 305
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you know it was a trap? Did you trip and fall into it? Slip and fall? Lean forward too far?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2326
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you know it was a trap? Yes, I did. Did you trip and fall into it? Slip and fall? Lean forward too far? Nothing like that, Inspector.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 306
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you pushed into the trap while relieving yourself?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2327
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you pushed into the trap while relieving yourself? No, Inspector.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 307
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you end up in the trap accidentally? Did someone force you into it?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2328
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you end up in the trap accidentally? You can call it an accident, Inspector, if you want... I was such a moron! Did someone force you into it? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 309
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you lean forward too far while relieving yourself, and end up, well...here?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2334
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you lean forward too far while relieving yourself, and end up, well...here? No, Inspector...there was more to that... bangs his head in despair
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 313
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All right, then...

Was anyone with you when you ended up in the trap? As far as you know, did anyone see you?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2336
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All right, then...

Was anyone with you when you ended up in the trap? No As far as you know, did anyone see you? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 316
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Man! Knowing my luck, as soon as I leave, someone else will step in and come up with the answer immediately. Again.

But until then...

Um, Mr. Lewis, how do I word this...when using the trap as a toilet, was it, um...number 1 or 2?

And Doctor, a private question, please? Is there any possibility of reattaching Mr. Lewis' privates?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2337
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Man! Knowing my luck, as soon as I leave, someone else will step in and come up with the answer immediately. Again. Hopefully not, you are VERY VERY close already...

But until then...

Um, Mr. Lewis, how do I word this...when using the trap as a toilet, was it, um...number 1 or 2? Well, I.. I pooed on it, if this is what you mean, Inspector.

And Doctor, a private question, please? Is there any possibility of reattaching Mr. Lewis' privates? 'Fraid not, Inspector. Why are you asking?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 317
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just wondering, Doctor. No real reason.

Mr. Lewis, please tell me this is right: While pooing on the trap, your tackle dangled down and set it off?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2338
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just wondering, Doctor. No real reason.

Mr. Lewis, please tell me this is right: While pooing on the trap, your tackle dangled down and set it off? No, Inspector, but you are VERY close.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 320
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Lewis, did you squat too low over the trap?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2339
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Lewis, did you squat too low over the trap? Yes, I think I squatted quite low...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 322
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...or did one of your, um, human droppings activate the trap? And you squatted low enough to get partially caught in it?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2340
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...or did one of your, um, human droppings activate the trap? And you squatted low enough to get partially caught in it? Sadly, yes, Inspector....had I realized that the spring in the trap was so strong to make it leap almost a foot up I would never have done it... how very stupid of me!

Spike leans over to you and says: That was really impressive, Sir! I think the case is solved already, it just haunts me WHY the heck did the poor devil do it?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 2004
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think he did it simply to mock Mr. Greene. Is that correct, Mr. Lewis?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2343
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think he did it simply to mock Mr. Greene. Is that correct, Mr. Lewis? Yes. How very silly of me!

Spike approaches you and says:

Sir, it seems now that the case is solved - or rather that YOU solved it. Now, we should write a report for Inspector Rice. I hope you don't mind if I do it, as you did all the important work around, and if I use partly your own words because I would not say it better. And I must tell you again how deeply I admire your detection abilities.

So here goes the

*******SPOILER**************

Mr. Greene, a fellow not too bright it seems, spends every single night at the pub. His poor wife, bereft of the pleasures she thought a husband would give her seeks it elsewhere eventually and takes Mr. Lewis as her lover. They count on Mr. Greene's habit to keep from being discovered, but it all goes awry one night when Mr. Greene leaves the bar in anger after an argument with Mr. Smith.
He discovers the infidelity, and starts to plot his revenge over the next week. He remember his grandfather's bear trap, and sets it for Mr. Lewis one night before going off to the pub.

Mr Lewis checks that Mr Greene is really in the pub, and then he goes to the Greenes' house to pay a visit to Mrs Greene. When he sneaks through the hole in the fence, he sees the set trap but avoids it in the last moment.

Then he gives it a second thought - Greene has set the trap for me, so I'¾l show him my contempt by..erm, defecating on the trap.

He did not realize, however, that the old-time blacksmiths were able to manufacture a much more solid products than the ones you can buy nowadays. The trap, activated by .. well, you know what... leaped up and caught ... well, you know what.

Then Mr Smith, who was accidentally passing by, called the ambulance. You know the rest.

Thank you all very much for playing along, kudoz go to Galfisk and Balin for pinning up the target!

I must confess it is a GREAT fun for me to host this type of puzzle. I hope you liked it, too.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 2010
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for another Inspector Millet puzzle, it was great fun to try and solve as well!
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2677
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Terrific puzzle Alhucema albeit a bit wince inducing for us blokes. Poor Mr Lewis . I wonder what crime Mr Greene would be charged with.

Anyway I hope Inspecter Millet comes back soon with another case.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2349
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I realized this, Peter, when we went into the details. But it was too late to back out.

Anyway, it was a honour and a pleasure to host a puzzle for such terrific solvers as you lot. I almost laughed my head off at some of your comments.

I am glad you like the good Inspector, and I'll do my best to make him come soon with a new mystery.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2681
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah it was great fun and if they ever make a movie out of it i think it should be called "Crap, it's a trap"
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 334
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another great all-around puzzle, Alhucema!

I'm not quite sure either what we can charge Mr. Greene with, as he did set the trap for Lewis, but Lewis willingly, um, "entered" the trap.

Can't wait to see your next puzzle!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 379
Posted on Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And Peter, I would definitely watch that movie.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2354
Posted on Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Me too. With such an impressive title, I somehow imagine it as a musical :-))

Thanks for all the kind comments!
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 2704
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2010 - 5:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A fine story, Alhucema! I'd be interested to know how you design these. I've seen them before (There is a particularly impressive one in the archives based on Sherlock Holmes). I'm guessing it starts off as a normal puzzle, but certain questions can only be addressed to particular witnesses?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2359
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2010 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Jenburdoo!

And I’d be pleased to tell you, as I feel very flattered that you asked:-)). Well ... in fact, I don't know how I design them. I have the story in my head (I don't invent these, though), and if you ask a character, I reply from the point of view he/she is likely to know (eg in this case, Mr Greene would know about the trap while Mrs Greene wouldn't; both the Greenes and Mr Lewis would know about the affair of Mrs Greene and Mr Lewis, while Mr Smith wouldn't).

The most interesting (and challenging) part comes when a new character is introduced through your questioning (eg Doc Larkin). I love this. I do my best to fit the person in the overall picture. He/she would also reply according to his/her knowledge, ie in this case, the Doc does not know anything about the affair but has extensive information as to Mr Lewis's injury. Plus, I am trying to make everyone as "in-character" and realistic as possible (and must repeat again I love this and I very much appreciate your playing along).

By the way, could you please tell me where to find the Sherlock Holmes stuff? Thanks a lot.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 2710
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2010 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Search using the keywords "Circus Maximus" or "Sherlock Holmes" and you'll find it. The puzzle is by Beroean, and started in 2004.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: