[Balin] Just reward Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2010 » [Balin] Just reward « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First new puzzle for me, so let me know if I screw anything up when doing this.

He was rewarded for his loyalty, though they did not know it.

Ask away!
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 2578
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He = Human? Adult? Male?
He & His the same person?
They = H? A? M?
Number of they = Less than 5 ? 10? 100? 1000? 1 Million? More?

Loyalty to a monarch? cause? country? friend? family member? colleague? team?

Any relevant games hobbies? any crimes? deaths?

Welcome to Lateral Land by the way
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He = Human? Adult? Male? Yes to all
He & His the same person? Yes
They = H? A? M? Yes, Yes, mixed M/F
Number of they = Less than 5 ? 10? 100? 1000? 1 Million? More? 50 or so

Loyalty to a monarch? cause? country? friend? family member? colleague? team? None of these

Any relevant games hobbies? Yes, VERY yes any crimes? No deaths? No

Welcome to Lateral Land by the way Thank you!
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 2580
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can I throw in a wild guess.

Did he make the word Loyalty in a game of scrabble?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can I throw in a wild guess.

Did he make the word Loyalty in a game of scrabble? No, but that's a good lateral thought
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 2512
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he playing Diplomacy? Another board game? A role-playing game? A computer game?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he playing Diplomacy? No Another board game? No A role-playing game? No A computer game? Yes, but more than one
Viniter (Viniter)
Username: Viniter

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was They the people he was loyal to? Or the people who rewarded him? Were the people he was loyal to also ones which rewarded him? Was he even rewarded by someone?
Was the reward only some kind of mental satisfaction? Was it something physical? something valuable?

Multiple computer games are involved... so, is He working in video game industry? Is he only player of computer games? Is he pro-gamer? Are They playing the same games? Are they working in game industry?

Are those games of specific genre? Are they made by the same developer? Is it relevant? Do we need to specify those games?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 2516
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he personally loyal, or was his character in a game/games loyal?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was They the people he was loyal to? Yes Or the people who rewarded him? Yes Were the people he was loyal to also ones which rewarded him? Yes Was he even rewarded by someone? Yes
Was the reward only some kind of mental satisfaction? No Was it something physical? Yesish something valuable? Not in monetary value, but yes in personal value

Multiple computer games are involved... so, is He working in video game industry? No Is he only player of computer games? Yes Is he pro-gamer? No Are They playing the same games? No Are they working in game industry? Yes

Are those games of specific genre? Yes Are they made by the same developer? Yes Is it relevant? Yes Do we need to specify those games? You don't need to, per se, but if you could identify them, it would be a good help. It's possible to get all the information without identifying the specific games, and once that happens, I'll $poyle it.

Was he personally loyal, or was his character in a game/games loyal? He was personally loyal.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 2519
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he a beta gamer?
Viniter (Viniter)

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were the games:
- arcade games?
- action games? (FPS?, 3rd person shooter?, other?)
- strategy games? (RTS?, turn-based?)
- RPG? (MMORPG?)
- simulator? (racing sim? flight sim? train sim? other?)

Were they a game development studio? Or only a game publishers (EA, Activision etc.)?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he a beta gamer? No

Were the games:
- arcade games?
- action games? (FPS?, 3rd person shooter?, other?)
- strategy games? (RTS?, turn-based?)
- RPG? (MMORPG?)
- simulator? (racing sim? flight sim? train sim? other?) None of these

Were they a game development studio? Yes Or only a game publishers (EA, Activision etc.)? No
Viniter (Viniter)

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should take a time... I missed several genres:
- adventures?
- sports games?
- music games (Guitar Hero, Rock Band etc.)?
- casual games?
I hope I haven't missed the right one again. :D

By loyalty you mean that he was buying games from this studio? Was the reward something that was in the package with game? Something that was not supposed to be in there? Was it something virtual?Some additional content on disc? Did they intended to give this kind of reward to someone? Was it some kind of achievement (like on Xbox/Steam)?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 2525
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he loyal to a person/people? Place? Thing? Something intangible?

Location or time period relevant? Was his loyalty a single discrete action, or was it an ongoing activity?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should take a time... I missed several genres:
- adventures? This one
- sports games?
- music games (Guitar Hero, Rock Band etc.)?
- casual games?
I hope I haven't missed the right one again. :D And you didn't! :D

By loyalty you mean that he was buying games from this studio? Yope Was the reward something that was in the package with game? No Something that was not supposed to be in there? No Was it something virtual? Yope Some additional content on disc? No Did they intended to give this kind of reward to someone? Yes Was it some kind of achievement (like on Xbox/Steam)? No

Was he loyal to a person/people? (-- This one Place? Thing? Something intangible?

Location or time period relevant? Location no, time period yes Was his loyalty a single discrete action, or was it an ongoing activity? Ongoing
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 3:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry about the ugly shape (-- , it is supposed to be an arrow pointing left.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 2535
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he buying games made by a specific person?
Viniter (Viniter)

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were those games text adventures? graphic adventures? Were they made in 70s? 80s? 90s? 2000s?

Just a guess - is the developer LucasArts? Therefore the games are Maniac Mansion, Indiana Jones, Monkey Island etc.? :-)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he buying games made by a specific person? Yope, with a small FA

Were those games text adventures? No graphic adventures? Yes Were they made in 70s? 80s? 90s? 2000s? 90s and 00s

Just a guess - is the developer LucasArts? Therefore the games are Maniac Mansion, Indiana Jones, Monkey Island etc.? :-) No. Good guess though
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 2539
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 5:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Games officially made by a single person but actually by an organization under that person's control?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Games officially made by a single person but actually by an organization under that person's control? No, they were made by a game developing company
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 2551
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But it's not simply that he's loyal to the company?

Is he loyal to a series of games? A particular version of a game or character? For which a new game was produced?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But it's not simply that he's loyal to the company? No

Is he loyal to a series of games? Yes! A particular version of a game or character? No For which a new game was produced? No
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 2558
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the series of games no longer produced? Is something else relevant produced?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the series of games no longer produced? No, it is still being produced Is something else relevant produced? Yes, with svv of "produced"
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1714
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he learn something by playing an early game in the series that helped him with a later game?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he learn something by playing an early game in the series that helped him with a later game? No
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 2565
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the something else relevant newly available? Was it produced a long time ago and is only available now? Is it a program, an accessory, a book, a type of computer or console, an upgrade or patch?

Are we talking about a PC, console, or pocket video game?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the something else relevant newly available? Available, yes. Newly, no Was it produced a long time ago and is only available now? No Is it a program, an accessory, a book, a type of computer or console, an upgrade or patch? None of these

Are we talking about a PC, console, or pocket video game? PC
Viniter (Viniter)

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was that a long-running series? More than 5 games? less?

Sorry, but I'll try to guess one more time. :-) Is it Broken Sword series? And the reward is the Broken Sword 2.5, true reward for fans of the franchise, though not made by Revolution Software.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was that a long-running series? Yes, and it's still running More than 5 games? Yes less? No

Sorry, but I'll try to guess one more time. :-) Is it Broken Sword series? And the reward is the Broken Sword 2.5, true reward for fans of the franchise, though not made by Revolution Software. No. I honestly have no idea what that series is, though that's a good guess.
Viniter (Viniter)

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2010 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was also thinking about Sam & Max series, but as far as I know the episodic games started in 2006 and games before that were actually maid by LucasArts, so it's not it, is it?

Ok, enough guessing, let's find out more about the reward. Was it a thing? Something you can touch? Pick up? Is it smaller than a match, a pencil, a book, a microwave, an oven, a refrigerator? Bigger?
Did he get it together with the game? Did he get it by mail? By courier service?

Were they supposed to know who gets rewarded? Was he rewarded by mistake? Did they intended to reward people loyal to their game series?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2010 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was also thinking about Sam & Max series, but as far as I know the episodic games started in 2006 and games before that were actually maid by LucasArts, so it's not it, is it? No, not this one.

Ok, enough guessing, let's find out more about the reward. Sounds good to me! Was it a thing? Not really... Something you can touch? Pick up? Is it smaller than a match, a pencil, a book, a microwave, an oven, a refrigerator? Bigger? None of these
Did he get it together with the game? Did he get it by mail? By courier service? None of these, with an FA as well

Were they supposed to know who gets rewarded? Yes Was he rewarded by mistake? No Did they intended to reward people loyal to their game series? Yes, but his loyalty is different than...oops, I almost gave away a hint!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2010 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a couple of hints for you, as I'll be away this weekend.

-His loyalty was an indirect cause of the reward.

-Lots of hard work was involved on his part.

May speculation endure!
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 2588
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the reward something intangible? Perhaps within the game? Did he have to work within the game to obtain it? Some sort of "easter egg" for old players?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the reward something intangible? Yes Perhaps within the game? Yes!!! Did he have to work within the game to obtain it? No Some sort of "easter egg" for old players? No
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 360
Posted on Monday, May 10, 2010 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the games the Myst series? Did he translate some in-game language?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the games the Myst series? No Did he translate some in-game language? No

HINT: Take a look where I said I almost gave away a hint, and see if you can figure out what I almost gave away.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2010 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINTS:

The reward has not been officially given yet. (I suspect it may be given sometime this summer, though.)

The company only makes this series and a couple of subseries related to it.
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 2162
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2010 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he know beforehand he would get a reward if he remained loyal?

Is there something special about him (eg is he a famous person)?

If you were as loyal as him, would you get the same reward? Would I?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he know beforehand he would get a reward if he remained loyal? No

Is there something special about him Yope (eg is he a famous person)? But not this

If you were as loyal as him, would you get the same reward? Maybe Would I? Maybe
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 116
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2010 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: Hopefully you will solve this puzzle before the next game comes out.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT AGAIN: You need to find out what makes his loyalty different from....
Viniter (Viniter)

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is his reward simply the upcoming title? Is his loyalty different in the way that those games have some deeper meaning for him? Is he somehow associated with the character in the game?

May it be Sherlock Holmes game series?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 141
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is his reward simply the upcoming title? Is his loyalty different in the way that those games have some deeper meaning for him? Is he somehow associated with the character in the game?

May it be Sherlock Holmes game series? No to all of these
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 125
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a chance you could recap?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 201
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a chance you could recap? No problem.

RECAP:

A guy who does something for a certain computer game series, was rewarded by the game company. The reward will be given in a future game (inside the game itself). He does not work for the company, and he is not a beta tester. And a hint: Others also got this same reward.
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he get a character named after him?

Post Number: 128
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he become a playable character?
Does something:
Does he help them with advertising?
Help them somehow during the making of the game?
He just owns and plays all the games?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 210
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he get a character named after him? No, but...

Did he become a playable character? No, but...
Does something:
Does he help them with advertising? I suppose what he does brings more attention to the games, but No
Help them somehow during the making of the game? No
He just owns and plays all the games? He does play all the games, but No. HINT: What he does is most related to this guess.

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does he beat or hold some kind of high score within the game?
And so his name gets put on the "high scores" list within a future game?
Or his name gets mentioned in the credits?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 215
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does he beat or hold some kind of high score within the game?
And so his name gets put on the "high scores" list within a future game?
Or his name gets mentioned in the credits? None of these. I have a MAJOR hint in case it's needed, but if you want to keep guessing, I don't have to give it.

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe I'll just try to figure out the game?
Adventure?
Shooter?
Platformer?
Strategy?
Puzzle?
Action?
Role-Playing game?
Simulation?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 217
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe I'll just try to figure out the game? Sounds good to me.
Adventure? This one. First guess!
Shooter?
Platformer?
Strategy?
Puzzle?
Action?
Role-Playing game?
Simulation?

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(I realize that if I had read the thread of previous questions, I would have known this. Oh well!)

Is it a point-and-click adventure?
Is it made exclusively for the PC?
or were console or handheld versions added to the mix?
Tomb Raider?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 222
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(I realize that if I had read the thread of previous questions, I would have known this. Oh well!) No problem, don't worry about it.

Is it a point-and-click adventure? I'm not sure if it would be placed in that genre, but it's an adventure, and you do point-and-click. Sorry for the confusion.
Is it made exclusively for the PC? Yes, mostly...
or were console or handheld versions added to the mix? One game in the series has been released for GBA (as well as PC), one also for DVD, and one also for Wii. The newest game (and future games) will be released for PC and Mac. Other than that, all PC.
Tomb Raider? No

Post Number: 146
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nancy Drew games?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 226
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nancy Drew games? YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

*phew* Sorry, got a little overexcited there. Anyway, feel free to use Google now.

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hm, didn't find a whole lot...
Is it a reward based on something they did based on playing the games?
Solving all the mysteries?
Finding all the easter eggs?
Or is it something else, like solving the puzzles on their blog?
Or winning one of the art contests?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 230
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hm, didn't find a whole lot...
Is it a reward based on something they did based on playing the games?
Solving all the mysteries?
Finding all the easter eggs?
Or is it something else, like solving the puzzles on their blog? None of these, but...
Or winning one of the art contests? This one! He won the yearbook photo contest.

Now figure out what he does and you're all set. You definitely have a knack for solving my puzzles.

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"You definitely have a knack for solving my puzzles." I guess I'm just persistent =)

So he submitted a "yearbook-styled" drawing that will be included in the next game as "fan artwork"?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"You definitely have a knack for solving my puzzles." I guess I'm just persistent =) You definitely are! And that's definitely a good thing.

So he submitted a "yearbook-styled" drawing that will be included in the next game as "fan artwork"? Actually, this contest was to submit an actual yearbook photo of oneself. 10 winners were selected, and those 10 photos will appear in a future game. This guy was one of the winnners, and this is the reward.

Now what does he do?

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, now that I'm fully tracking...
So they didn't know he was loyal when they selected his entry?
Does he review the games?
Create walkthroughs?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 234
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, now that I'm fully tracking...
So they didn't know he was loyal when they selected his entry? Not likely
Does he review the games? No
Create walkthroughs? Yes! Video walkthroughs, to be precise.

I can finally declare this a

**********SPOILER**********

"He" is Michael Gray, better known as "arglefumph," especially to YouTubers who watch his hilarious video walkthroughs for the Nancy Drew series. (Shameless plug: watch one, and laugh for a few hours straight. The sixth part of "Message in a Haunted Mansion" contains his most hilarious moment.) He has been creating these walkthroughs for 2 years, and has a blog in which he discusses...well, Nancy Drew stuff, and other things.

In early April, he entered Her Interactive's yearbook photo contest, described above, and won; thus, his photo will appear in a future Nancy Drew game. He probably would not have entered this contest had he not been so loyal to the series for so long, and it is not likely that Her Interactive employees knew how much the "Michael G." who won the contest had done to bring attention to the series. After all, his walkthroughs got me hooked.

This took a really long time, and nice work to It_so_happened again for solving this mystery.

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cool! I will probably check ou those videos, as I have been a fan of adventure games for a while, but have never checked out Nancy Drew.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: