[peter365] Its the Thought that Counts. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2010 » [peter365] Its the Thought that Counts. « Previous Next »

Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 2610
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought a gift and was horrified when I looked at the receipt

Quickie no doubt
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it the gift itself that was the problem? The cost? The date/time on the receipt?

Store relevant? Actual gift relevant? Cashier's name relevant?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2611
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it the gift itself that was the problem? yes The cost? No The date/time on the receipt? No

Store relevant? yes Actual gift relevant? yes Cashier's name relevant? No
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 2636
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the receipt indicate that you were mistaken in your purchase? Perhaps that you had mistaken it for something else ("I wanted one for a girl, but the receipt says it's for a boy, and now that I look more closely, I see it's right!")?
Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 2203
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you want to buy a piece of clothing :-))?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2613
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the receipt indicate that you were mistaken in your purchase? No Perhaps that you had mistaken it for something else ("I wanted one for a girl, but the receipt says it's for a boy, and now that I look more closely, I see it's right!")? Nothing like this I'm afraid
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2614
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you want to buy a piece of clothing :-))? Ha Ha . Let me tell you that the vast majority of Irish men never and I mean never buy clothing as a gift. It's part of our psyche. I've known my first wife (sorry Nimue) for nigh on 20 years and I've never bought her an item of clothing. So to sum up NO

and btw the gift was not for my current wife (sorry Nimue again)
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you find out the gift was a fake? A reproduction?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2616
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you find out the gift was a fake? A reproduction? No to both
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2010 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Agreed on the clothing issue, unless it's a humorous t-shirt I can order online. Then, if it doesn't fit the person, I can blame the company.

Was there actually something wrong with the gift? If not, did you momentarily think there was? Or was it just the name/abbreviated name of the item that horrified you?

Relevant that it is a gift and not just a regular purchase? Would the recipient of the gift see the receipt?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2217
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2010 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When asking about the clothing, I was thinking of an old joke about a guy buying gloves for his fiancée... anyway, excuse me for the digression, but I am overwhelmed with curiosity - WHY are Irish men so reluctant to buy clothes? Some sort of superstition?

Was the gift for a man? A woman? Relevant? Is your relationship to the person relevant? If you bought the same gift to a different person, would you feel the same about it?

Did you buy exactly what you wanted to?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2617
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Agreed on the clothing issue, unless it's a humorous t-shirt I can order online. Then, if it doesn't fit the person, I can blame the company.

Was there actually something wrong with the gift? Yope If not, did you momentarily think there was? Hard to answer , something struck me when I looked at the receipt Or was it just the name/abbreviated name of the item that horrified you? Good question: the name of the item was what horrified me

Relevant that it is a gift and not just a regular purchase? Would the recipient of the gift see the receipt?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2618
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When asking about the clothing, I was thinking of an old joke about a guy buying gloves for his fiancée... anyway, excuse me for the digression, but I am overwhelmed with curiosity - WHY are Irish men so reluctant to buy clothes? Some sort of superstition? no it's just that we're no good at it. Would not just be Irish men i suspect

Was the gift for a man? This A woman? Relevant? somewhat Is your relationship to the person relevant? Not especially If you bought the same gift to a different person, would you feel the same about it? No it had to be this man specifically

Did you buy exactly what you wanted to? yes but i failed to realise something
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, now I want to hear the glove joke...

Would this particular person be unable to use this particular gift? Is it an issue of right vs. left-handedness? Some other physical barrier?

Is the gift inherently gender specific? And perhaps you bought the "girl" one? Or is it just something usually purchased for a man?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2619
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, now I want to hear the glove joke... Me too

Would this particular person be unable to use this particular gift? No Is it an issue of right vs. left-handedness? No Some other physical barrier? No

Is the gift inherently gender specific? No And perhaps you bought the "girl" one? No Or is it just something usually purchased for a man? it's not gender specific
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2223
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, the glove joke first (hope none of you is minor of age)...

http://homepages.tesco.net/~scotsnet/o.f.carter/fun/fun026.htm

Is what you saw on the receipt related to the name of the man you gave the gift to? His physical features? His profession?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 125
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it the brand name of the item that horrified you? The actual item name? Was it abbreviated on the receipt?

Is this a true story? FYOI? Related to the glove joke in any way? Side note: great joke, Alhucema!
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2620
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, the glove joke first (hope none of you is minor of age)... Hee Hee

http://homepages.tesco.net/~scotsnet/o.f.carter/fun/fun026.htm

Is what you saw on the receipt related to the name of the man you gave the gift to? No His physical features? No His profession No
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2621
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it the brand name of the item that horrified you? No The actual item name? Yes Was it abbreviated on the receipt? No

Is this a true story? Yes FYOI? Related to the glove joke in any way? No and there are no relevant garments in this joke Side note: great joke, Alhucema! Very funny indeed
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2225
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the gift very expensive?

Was it a device? a book? food?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2622
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the gift very expensive? No

Was it a device? a book? This food?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2234
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the book fiction? If so, would it help if we find out its exact title?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2624
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the book fiction? No If so, would it help if we find out its exact title? Well the exact title is relevant
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)
Username: Emeraldink

Post Number: 480
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 4:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is man's
nationality
religion
education
relevant?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2625
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is man's
nationality
religion
education
relevant? None of these i'm afraid
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is his family relations relevant?
Like the title of the book contains the name of his ex-wife or something?
Are his past experiences relevant?
Fears?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2250
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the book rather a technical one, then? A manual?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2626
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is his family relations relevant? No
Like the title of the book contains the name of his ex-wife or something? Nice idea but no
Are his past experiences relevant? Yes but be careful
Fears? And this too perhaps
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2627
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the book rather a technical one, then? A manual? neither of these

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The book:
Historical?
Religious?
Travel?
Humor?
Puzzle book?
Is it a relatively famous book (in other words, do you think a good portion of us might recognize the title?)

The man:
Age relevant?

Would you have gotten the same "horror" out of simply re-examining the title of the book directly?
Or is the fact that you read it off the receipt relevant?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2628
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The book:
Historical?
Religious?
Travel?
Humor?
Puzzle book? None of these
Is it a relatively famous book (in other words, do you think a good portion of us might recognize the title?) Ooh I don't know. it's possible but couldn't say for sure. It's not a very famous book i guess

The man:
Age relevant? Yesish

Would you have gotten the same "horror" out of simply re-examining the title of the book directly? No
Or is the fact that you read it off the receipt relevant? Yes

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this person a child? Teenager? Adult? Elderly man?

Is the book a children's book?
Is it informational?
Hobby-related?
For entertainment?

Does the title appear differently on the receipt?
Or does it give additional information?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2252
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the title on the receipt abbreviated?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2629
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this person a child? Teenager? Adult? ThisElderly man?

Is the book a children's book?
Is it informational? Yes
Hobby-related? Yes but DYOD of hobby
For entertainment? Yes

Does the title appear differently on the receipt? No
Or does it give additional information? No
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2630
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the title on the receipt abbreviated? No

Apologies for the above bit of dyslexia that should of course read DOYD
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2271
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this puzzle anyhow related to mushrooms? ;-))

Is the book related to : construction/technology? sport?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2640
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this puzzle anyhow related to mushrooms? ;-))alas no

Is the book related to : construction/technology? sport? No to these

Hint: Try to find out why I was buying the gift

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For birthday?
Graduation?
Wedding?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2641
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For birthday?
Graduation?
Wedding? None of these

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a gift marking an occasion?
Is it a souvenir?
Is it an apology?
Is it a sympathy gift?
Is it simply an act of friendship?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2642
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For birthday?
Graduation?
Wedding? None of these

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you repeated the post above...
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2643
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a gift marking an occasion? No
Is it a souvenir? No
Is it an apology? No
Is it a sympathy gift? Not sure I'd define as this but closer than the rest
Is it simply an act of friendship? Well yes but there's more to it than that

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you trying to help him?
Increase his knowledge or skill in a particular subject?
Help him through a particular situation (e.g. debt-managing book)?

So, if I understand right, the title on the receipt read the same as the title on the book?
But you could have only read the receipt to get this "horror"?
And you were only reading the title on the receipt, nothing else, to give you this shock?
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 764
Posted on Friday, May 28, 2010 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there another item listed on the receipt before? or after? the book, so that they appeared to be connected?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2644
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you trying to help him? Not help but there was a specific reason i bought him the particular book and some others as well
Increase his knowledge or skill in a particular subject? \
Help him through a particular situation (e.g. debt-managing book)? None of these

So, if I understand right, the title on the receipt read the same as the title on the book? Yes
But you could have only read the receipt to get this "horror"? No I never said that. It was only upon reading the receipt I noticed the full title of the book. Had I looked more closely at the book I would have realised and not bought it

And you were only reading the title on the receipt, nothing else, to give you this shock? Yes I got a shock when I read the receipt but as I've said that's only because I wasn't paying attention when I bought the book
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2645
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hint : Think about the timeline of these events. There's a key fact that you've yet to establish
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2646
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there another item listed on the receipt before? or after? the book, so that they appeared to be connected? Sorry nearly missed these. There were 2 other items listed on the receipt . I'd bought him 3 books but only one gave me a shock. They other two are loosely connected to the offending book as they deal with similar tastes but the actual order they appear on the receipt is not relevant
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 155
Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you were looking at the book, did you only see a part of the title? But then you saw the full title on the receipt and realized your mistake?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2647
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you were looking at the book, did you only see a part of the title? But then you saw the full title on the receipt and realized your mistake? In truth I didn't pay much attention to the title when buying the book. It was only when i saw it on the receipt i realised my mistake
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 1899
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you horrified because you hae already given him the book? Or it was on its way to him and you couldn't stop it? Was the book itself inappropriate? Or only the title?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2648
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you horrified because you hae already given him the book? At last someone asks this question . No but.... Or it was on its way to him and you couldn't stop it? YES!! it was in post when i read the receipt Was the book itself inappropriate? Not at all Or only the title? Only the title
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Monday, May 31, 2010 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the title: inappropriate, period? Or inappropriate for him? For his situation? For the kind of message you want to convey with your gift? Has something bad happened to him? And you're trying to cheer him up? And the title somehow references the bad thing?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2649
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the title: inappropriate, period? No Or inappropriate for him? For his situation? Yes For the kind of message you want to convey with your gift? Yes Has something bad happened to him? Yes, this is key And you're trying to cheer him up? Yes And the title somehow references the bad thing? Yes

Top notch q's Galfisk
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2282
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the title of the book just the description of its contents (like, say, "Accounting for Beginners")? Or was it more figurative?

As to what had happened to him: was it a loss? if so, of a person? of money? of health?

Did you buy the book because you wanted to cheer him up?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 247
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a humor book?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2656
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the title of the book just the description of its contents (like, say, "Accounting for Beginners")? Yes a description of it's contents Or was it more figurative?

As to what had happened to him: was it a loss? if so, of a person? of money? of health? Health is very relevant here

Did you buy the book because you wanted to cheer him up? Yes it was a get well present
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2657
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a humor book? No it catered to a particular interest
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1973
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he recovering from: sickenss? Injury? Surgery? Is he in the hospital? Is he himself to blame for his condition? Or did someone else do something bad to him? Intentionally? Has he been in an accident of some sort? Does he feel guilt for something relevant?
Is the subject covered by the books relevant? Or could books about a range of subjects have had the same kind of unfortunate title?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2658
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he recovering from: sickenss? Injury? Surgery? This , he had triple bypass surgeryIs he in the hospital? No Is he himself to blame for his condition? Blame would be harsh but he does like a bacon sandwich and a pint . How he got his condition is irrelevant Or did someone else do something bad to him? Intentionally? Has he been in an accident of some sort? Does he feel guilt for something relevant? No
Is the subject covered by the books relevant? No Or could books about a range of subjects have had the same kind of unfortunate title? yes they could
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2297
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the word "bypass" or "heart" included in the title of the book?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2660
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the word "bypass" or "heart" included in the title of the book? No
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2301
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he likely to interpret the book title:

- as alluding to his condition
- as alluding to his guilt about it?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2661
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he likely to interpret the book title:

- as alluding to his condition yesish
- as alluding to his guilt about it? No and he wasn't guilty about it
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 1983
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

His condition: before surgery? Just after the surgery? Changes to his life? To what he can do? Does it allude to the surgery itself? To the heart?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2663
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

His condition: before surgery? No Just after the surgery? Yesish Changes to his life? Yesish To what he can do? No Does it allude to the surgery itself? To the heart? neither
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2303
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were the words "operation" or "recovery" relevant?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2664
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were the words "operation" or "recovery" relevant? Not these either. It might be time to concentrate on the particular interest that my friend has that was the book's theme
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2304
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it about a particular sport? a hobby? just a general topic such as history?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2665
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it about a particular sport? No a hobby? Yope i'm never sure whether to categorize this as a hobby , lets just say it's an interest just a general topic such as history? Well it's about a specific topic
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)
Username: Ohlala8

Post Number: 527
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the content of the book has nothing to do with health, correct? It's about an entertainment/hobby-related subject? But the title somehow alludes to something that would be inappropriate for your friend? Would it be inappropriate for anyone who was ill? Anyone who'd had surgery? Anyone who'd had heart troubles? Do we need to know anything about your friend apart from his condition and his interest in the book's subject?

Is the problem with the title an intentional pun? An unintentional pun? Could it be perceived as a joke at your friend's expense? Would the problem be solved if one word were different? One phrase? Or is the content of the title completely inappropriate?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2668
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the content of the book has nothing to do with health, correct? No It's about an entertainment/hobby-related subject? yes entertainment being a key word But the title somehow alludes to something that would be inappropriate for your friend? Yes Would it be inappropriate for anyone who was ill? seriously ill yes Anyone who'd had surgery? Only for major or serious surgeries Anyone who'd had heart troubles? Yes but not exlusively the heart e.g. I wouldn't send this book to someone suffering from Cancer Do we need to know anything about your friend apart from his condition and his interest in the book's subject? No other than thankfully he has a good sense of humour

Is the problem with the title an intentional pun? An unintentional pun? It's not really a pun . I believe there are many books and tv programmes with a similarly worded title Could it be perceived as a joke at your friend's expense? yes it could Would the problem be solved if one word were different? {rather if they took away a phrase in the title} One phrase? Yes Or is the content of the title completely inappropriate? No
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2319
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could it be interpreted as an allusion that he might die?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2669
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could it be interpreted as an allusion that he might die? By George she's got it. Well done Alhucema . You're well on the way now
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2320
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A wild wild guess: Was the book "Death in the Afternoon", by Ernest Hemingway? Or another book with the word "death" "dying" etc. in its title?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2321
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or "Die Another Day"?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2670
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A wild wild guess: Was the book "Death in the Afternoon", by Ernest Hemingway? Or another book with the word "death" "dying" etc. in its title?

Or "Die Another Day"? No to those inspired guesses but the word die is in the title. The book is non-fiction
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 300
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the book about food? Cooking? Sports? Computers? Movies? Something done outside? Inside?

Wild guess: if it's food or cooking, could it be something like "Pies to Die For" or something similar?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2672
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the book about food? Cooking? Sports? Computers? Movies? This. Nicely done Something done outside? Inside?

Wild guess: if it's food or cooking, could it be something like "Pies to Die For" or something similar? Nice try and very much on the right track
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2329
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"100 Movies to See Before you Die"? Or something along this line?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2330
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2673
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

100 Movies to See Before you Die"? Or something along this line? So good she posted it twice....

***************Spoiler****************

Well done Alhucema. Here's the story in full.

My mate Ron who's only 52 had been feeling particularly unwell for a little while and got himself checked out at a clinic. Imagine his shock when he was told that he needed urgent heart bypass surgery . Apparently some of the arteries were so blocked that Doctor's were surprised he hadn't dropped dead.

Anyway Ron had the operation which thankfully was a total success. As he faced the long recovery period I thought that a gift would cheer him up so I went to my local bookshop and selected a few titles which I thought my suit his tastes.

Now Ron loves movies and movie history so I discovered one of those books where movie experts list their favourite movies and each one has a page of the book devoted to it. Perfect thought I and bought the book.

It was only when cleaning out my wallet and some days after I'd posted Ron his books that I noticed on the receipt that the title of the book was "1001 movies you must see before you die". I had not noticed this fact when purchasing it.

Can you imagine my reaction when i realised that I'd sent a book with that title to a guy who just had a near death experience and was starting out on the long road to recovery.

Thankfully Ron thought my faux pas was hilarious and has promised to see all the movies on the list even if it kills him

Thanks to all who played
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2332
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haha, Paul, a good one, thanks!

If I were Ron, I would go to the movies VERY sporadically to make them last as long as possible. One never knows... ;-))
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2674
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Me Peter - Admin Paul

Glad you enjoyed it.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2333
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course - Peter! Sorry for that!

I recently did the same thing to someone else - I thanked Jenburdoo for Noel's puzzle.

May it be a consolation for you that sometimes I mess up the names of my own kids. ;-))
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 308
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great puzzle, and great story! It would have been great to have had a video camera to record both your reaction on realizing your oops, and his on seeing the title.
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 6:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great puzzle! Thanks for the chuckle.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2678
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the kind comments. My experience is that real life throws up puzzles much superior to anything I could make up myself.
Gourami (Gourami)

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2010 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent puzzle! Too bad I had to wander off in the middle.

My friend has that book; it's very informative.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: