/Alhucema/ The Dangerous Hobby Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - May 2010 » /Alhucema/ The Dangerous Hobby « Previous Next »

Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 2262
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One Monday morning, one of my co-workers, Mark, asked me what I had been doing during the weekend.

I told him.

He stared at me incredulously. "You do not mean that, do you? I wonder you are still alive."

Now it was me who stared at him. I started doing this activity at the tender age of three - first with my mother, then by myself. I have been practising it ever since, and I am still alive.

However, when I think twice about it, it was perfectly logical for him to think what he thought.

What was the activity?
Vadron (Vadron)
Username: Vadron

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he mishear you? Misunderstand you? Is the activity dangerous?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2263
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he mishear you? No Misunderstand you? No Is the activity dangerous? The activity itself is perfectly safe. However ...
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 2632
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there some sort of urban myth or a general misconception that this activity is dangerous? Is it done indoors? outdoors? both? .

Does it cost money to do? do you need to practice it? Is the activity more associated with women than men? If your co-worker was female is it likely that this conversation would still have taken place?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2264
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there some sort of urban myth or a general misconception that this activity is dangerous? Yope Is it done indoors? outdoors? both? . The activity itself is done outdoors. However, there is something related to the activity which is usually done indoors.

Does it cost money to do? No do you need to practice it? Yes Is the activity more associated with women than men? No If your co-worker was female is it likely that this conversation would still have taken place? No
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2265
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OOOps, sorry, a BLOOPER in the last answer (If your co-worker was female is it likely that this conversation would still have taken place?, the answer should be YES. Sorry for that.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2633
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have to wear special clothing ? any equipment? would it be classed as a sport? Would you normally spend less or more than one hour doing this? If it was raining outside could/would you still do it?

Any relevent foods? technology?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2266
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have to wear special clothing ? Not necessarily any equipment? Yesish (I mean it's usually done with some equipment, but if need be, you can do it even without it) would it be classed as a sport? I don't think so Would you normally spend less or more than one hour doing this? Depends fully on you. I usually spend more (2-3 hours), but it can be much more or much less. If it was raining outside could Yes/would Probably not. you still do it?

Any relevent foods? Yes technology? No
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2634
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Barbeque?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2267
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Barbeque? No.

BLOOOPER again. On second thoughts, I realise I should have specified that although the activity itself is not dangerous at all (as I said), there is one aspect of it which really does potentially represent a mortal danger.
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it an activity that can be done alone? Or must it be done with another person/people?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2635
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wild guess: Picking and eating wild mushrooms?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2268
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wild guess: Picking and eating wild mushrooms?

Yes!

************SPOILER*************

Mark was indeed aghast at the fact I might be picking (and, eventually, eating) wild mushrooms.

There are many varieties of mushrooms; some of them are edible and taste very good, some of them stink like hell, some are so bitter that they would spoil the entire food for you - and some are poisonous and can cause you serious health problems or even death.

There are varieties which can be eaten raw, and others which taste the best fried in a breadcrumb crust, or with chopped onions and eggs. You can also pickle them, or dry them for later use. It is fun to go to the forest with your family, and search for tiny brown, red or orange heads hidden in the undergrowth.

To be on the safe side, the general rule is to pick just those you are sure to recognize. If you do this, nothing can happen to you. However, there were (quite rare) cases of whole families who confused an edible mushroom for a poisonous one and died of mushroom poisoning.

Thank you for playing, and Peter365 for the quick solution!
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2637
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey at long last a wild guess brings some reward. I always feel a bit bad when i spoil a puzzle early.

It was my own question about the weather that gave me the idea. My mother used to send us out to the fields to pick them after a period of rain. She swore by wild mushrooms and it never did us any harm. Strangely enough in my adult life I've totally lost the taste for mushrooms and don't eat them if i can avoid it.

Nice puzzle.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2270
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Peter!

My mum used to get up VERY early in the morning to go to the forest and pick mushrooms. It is true that after a rainy period, they grew better. And I remember that, for some reason, they grew much better on patches grubbed up by wild hogs.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2639
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We dont have hogs in Ireland but you would find most of them within the shelter of tress and quite close to the tree trunk itself.

You can gain some revenge by solving my "It's the thought that counts" puzzle.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: