/Alhucema/ The Secret Fellowship of R... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2010 » /Alhucema/ The Secret Fellowship of Rerpsers « Previous Next »

Alhucema (Alhucema)
Username: Alhucema

Post Number: 2342
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there! I wonder whether I find other members of the Rerpsing club.

I used to rerpse when I was a kid. Now I realize that although there must be a lot of people who experienced rerpsing too, I do not know of any, and I am too shy to ask.

Can you help me out by finding what rerpsing is, and, possibly, by identifying yourselves as fellow rerpsers?
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 2005
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you not rerpse anymore? Is it something only kids: can do? Typically do? Is it fun? Does it annoy others? Is it embarrassing to speak about? Do you need any tools/props/accessories to rerpse? Can you rerpse before you can: walk? Speak? Is rerpsing usually done: alone? In the company of others? Does it have any positive health effects? Or negative? Is it usually done: outside? Inside? While eating? In bed? In the bathroom?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2344
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you not rerpse anymore? No but I could if I wished to Is it something only kids: can do? No Typically do? Likely Is it fun? DOYD? for me, it was moderate fun Does it annoy others? Possibly Is it embarrassing to speak about? Well.. it is nothing rude or something like that, but perhaps it is too trivial to talk about with adults. Do you need any tools/props /accessoriesI am wondering whether it is a prop or an accessory, but you do need an object to rerpse to rerpse? Can you rerpse before you can: walk? Usually not but beware a FA Speak? Usually not but beware a FA Is rerpsing usually done: alone? In the company of others? I usually did it alone but you can do it in the company of others, too Does it have any positive health effects? No Or negative? No Is it usually done: outside? Yes Inside? Yes While eating? Yes In bed? In the bathroom? Technically, you can rerpse both in bed and in the bathroom, but you usually don't.
Emeraldink (Emeraldink)
Username: Emeraldink

Post Number: 486
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does Rerpsing involve:

making faces?
making gestures?
moving body or limbs?
not moving?
making noises?
talking nonsense?
ignoring others?
pretending you are not there?
pretending something is there, when it is not?
counting something?

Is it a game?

Is it done intentionally? Always?

Do your kids do it?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2345
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does Rerpsing involve:

making faces?
making gestures?
moving body or limbs? You have to move certain parts of your body to rerpse
not moving?
making noises? rerpsing usually involves making some noises
talking nonsense?
ignoring others?
pretending you are not there?
pretending something is there, when it is not?
counting something?

No to the rest of the above

Is it a game? No

Is it done intentionally? Yes Always? No, you can always choose NOT to rerpse.

Do your kids do it? Never seen them :-))
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 2008
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the noise made with your mouth? Nose? Other body part? Object? Is your voice invovled in rersping? Do you hold the object? Is it changed somehow by rersping? Can you rerspe with your eyes closed? does rersping produce a tangible result? Is the object made from: paper? Glass? Wood? Plastic? Metal? Rubber? Fabric? Bone? Leather? Plant matter? Liquid? Gas? Is it edible?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2346
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the noise made with your mouth? Yesish Nose? No Other body part? No Object? Yes Is your voice invovled in rersping? No Do you hold the object? Yes Is it changed somehow by rersping? Yes Can you rerspe with your eyes closed? Yes does rersping produce a tangible result? No Is the object made from: paper? Glass? Wood? Plastic? Metal? Rubber? Fabric? Bone? Leather? Plant matter? This Liquid? Gas? Is it edible? Yes
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 2009
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you eat the object? Chew on it? Blow through it? Is it a straw? Is it the only object needed, or do you need more stuff? Is the object masking the noise? Is it a food? If so, can rersping be considered playing with your food?
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 2675
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it that thing you do with a blade of grass where you place it between two thumbs and blow? It makes a pretty cool sound I seem to remember.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2347
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you eat the object? Yes Chew on it? Yes Blow through it? No Is it a straw? No Is it the only object neededYes, or do you need more stuff? No Is the object masking the noise? No Is it a food? Yes If so, can rersping be considered playing with your food? Definitely

Is it that thing you do with a blade of grass where you place it between two thumbs and blow? Sadly, no. It makes a pretty cool sound I seem to remember. Yes, it does indeed. You made me smile because a few days ago, I was trying to teach this to my kids :-)))
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2676
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would an adult scold a child for rerpsing? Is it considered rude or disgusting? Unhygenic? Does it involve gargling at all?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2348
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would an adult scold a child for rerpsing? Depends on the adult; I think most adults won't Is it considered rude No or disgusting Possibly? Unhygenic? No Does it involve gargling at all? No
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 2011
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a specific food relevant? Is rersping the slurping of spaghetti? Is the food: fruit? Vegetable? Grain? Is it a processed food product? Is rersping the chewing of wheat grains until they form "chewing gum"? Does rersping waste food? Do you chew when you rerspe? Use your teeth in some other fashion? Or lips? Or tongue? Do you use your hands?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2350
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a specific food relevant? Yes Is rersping the slurping of spaghetti? No Is the food: fruit? Vegetable? This Grain? Is it a processed food product? No Is rersping the chewing of wheat grains until they form "chewing gum"? No; an interesting idea, though. Does rersping waste food? No Do you chew when you rerspe? Yes Use your teeth in some other fashion? Yes Or lips? Noish Or tongue? Noish Do you use your hands? Sometimes
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2679
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peeling fruit with your teeth e.g. taking the skin of an apple . I used to do this as a kid.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 2013
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is rersping the eating of a vegetable in a different way that usual? Eating a certain part first? Like the outer part of a carrot, leaving the center "stem" or whatever it's called? Is it a root vegetable? A leaf vegetable? Do you eat it raw?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2351
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peeling fruit with your teeth e.g. taking the skin of an apple . I used to do this as a kid. Me too. Unfortunately, that's not it (very close though).

Is rersping the eating of a vegetable in a different way that usual? Yes Eating a certain part first? Yes Like the outer part of a carrot, leaving the center "stem" or whatever it's called? Yes indeed! Is it a root vegetable? Yes A leaf vegetable? Do you eat it raw? Yes

***********SPOILER******************

Rerpsing is indeed peeling the outer part of a carrot with your teeth and eating it first, then eating the inner "stem" which is usually sweeter and definitely has a different texture.

Now that was a quickie. Thank you all for playing, and Galfisk for the correct solution.

By the way, do YOU rerpse? Have you ever?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2680
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep I was a rerpser in my youth. Nice puzzle. We'll have to come up with a word for the apple peeling thing.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 336
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I come down to check on the forum, find a new Alhucema puzzle, only to find it started and solved all while I was asleep! Well, these things happen.

I'm not always a rerpser, but sometimes I do. Never really thought about it until now, though...
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 2014
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice puzzle! As a child growing up on a farm, and the kind to experiment with everything on hand including my food, I'm proud to say that I too have rerpsed. I did however find the taste of carrot to be most delicious when the outside and center was eaten together.
Some big carrots would crack open and almost separate by themselves while growing, they were usually extra tasty. They looked bad and dried out quickly in storage though, so they mostly became cow food.
How did you come up witht he word rerpse? Is it an acronym for something?
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps:

"Resembling Eating but in Reality Peeling the Skin off Everything" =P
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2352
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jumpingjack, that's it :-)))) Laughing my head off again. :-))

Galfisk, I first thougth about the word "tippeting" but googled out it meant something in Norwegian. So I continued to play with letters, and every time I found a word I checked whether it existed as I did not want an existing word.

And "rerpse" was the first one out of six which did not exist. Moreover,the R-sound reminded me of the cracking sound of the carrot :-))

Oh and of course - be all of you welcome to the club! I am glad I am not the only rerpser in the world!
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 774
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2010 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't remember rerpsing as an kid, but I have done it as an adult on occasion. I think part of why I rerpse more now is that I liked cooked carrots better as a kid, but now I buy raw ones as snacks.
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2356
Posted on Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Today, I took the plunge and asked two friends of ours who confirmed they still rerpse.

It is comforting to know there are so many of us :-))
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 2703
Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2010 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good one. I did a variant of rerpsing which I am also somewhat embarrassed to tell; I think I'll make it my next puzzle!
Gourami (Gourami)
Username: Gourami

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2010 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think my method of carrot-eating is the opposite of rerpsing--sucking the middle out first!
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A raw carrot, Gourami? How did you manage that?
Alhucema (Alhucema)

Post Number: 2384
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering about that, too...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: