[Balin] White Lines Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2010 » [Balin] White Lines « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 643
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sagled a few days ago, and it was really embarrassing and annoying. I almost sagled again yesterday, and I hope I never sagle again.

What is the meaning of the verb "to sagle"?

(Note: "sagle" rhymes with "waggle.")
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 272
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had you sagled before those two days?
Have you seen others sagle?
Could a child sagle?
Is sagle a bodily function or reaction (hiccups, for example)?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 649
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had you sagled before those two days? Yes
Have you seen others sagle? Yes
Could a child sagle? No
Is sagle a bodily function or reaction (hiccups, for example)? No
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 801
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does sagling involve driving?

Does sagling involve a misunderstanding? a scrund? a lapse of attention? forgetfulness? or is it an intentional action itself, but some misfortune requires it?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 660
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does sagling involve driving? Yes indeed!

Does sagling involve a misunderstanding? No a scrund? No a lapse of attention? Mostly this... forgetfulness? ...with a little bit of this. or is it an intentional action itself, but some misfortune requires it? No

Post Number: 291
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you fading into another lane?
Cutting someone off?
Making an illegal turn?
Running a light?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 663
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you fading into another lane? No
Cutting someone off? No
Making an illegal turn? No
Running a light? No
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 803
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you sagle, does it get you lost? risk an accident? just slow you down?

Just a totally random guess: maybe being in the lane to go through an automatic toll booth, and remembering at the last second that you don't have the little transmitter gizmo that identifies you to the booth? There ought to be a verb for that.

Post Number: 295
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, so since the random guessing proved fruitless...
Was it embarassing because of the people riding with you?
Because of the other drivers?
Both?
Were you on the highway?
Other city street?
I'm guessing white lines are relevant?
Lane markings?
Shoulder marking?
Did you drive off the road?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 668
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you sagle, does it get you lost? No risk an accident? Likely this... just slow you down? and definitely this.

Just a totally random guess: maybe being in the lane to go through an automatic toll booth, and remembering at the last second that you don't have the little transmitter gizmo that identifies you to the booth? No, but that's happened to my mother quite a few times. We only got our E-Z Pass a few months ago, and she keeps forgetting to bring it. Anyway, random tangent over. There ought to be a verb for that. You're right; there should be. Feel free to coin it.

Ok, so since the random guessing proved fruitless... Not that bad; you were closer than you think.
Was it embarassing because of the people riding with you? No, as I was driving alone. If there were other people in the car, it would have been a big Yes.
Because of the other drivers? Yope
Both? See above answers
Were you on the highway? No
Other city street? Yes
I'm guessing white lines are relevant? Yes, in terms of placing the precise location.
Lane markings? Yes
Shoulder marking? No
Did you drive off the road? No

CLARIFICATION: I have seen other people sagle, but not very often.
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 2054
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is parking relevant? Turning? Waiting for other traffic? Did you fail to notice that the road was clear? That a light had turned green? Did you slow down other motorists as well?
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 2055
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Turn signals invovled? If so: Yours? Someone else's?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 695
Posted on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is parking relevant? Turning? Waiting for other traffic? None of these Did you fail to notice that the road was clear? No That a light had turned green? No, but this is VERY close. Did you slow down other motorists as well? Yes

Turn signals invovled? If so: Yours? Someone else's? Yes to all but irrel
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 2772
Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Starting, stopping or speeding relevant?

Lane markings denoting where to stop? Where to turn?

I'm starting to suspect I have sagled... is it more common among novice drivers? Elderly drivers?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 717
Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Starting, stopping or speeding relevant? Stopping, yes. No to rest.

Lane markings denoting where to stop? Yes Where to turn? But this too

I'm starting to suspect I have sagled... I hope you haven't... =P is it more common among novice drivers? Mostly this Elderly drivers? Possibly this, but more among novices.
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1766
Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you fail to stop at a red light? or a stop sign?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 726
Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you fail to stop at a red light? No, FA, but close or a stop sign? No
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 4509
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you fail to turn when a filter light came on? Did you find yourself in the turn right or turn left only lane, or straight ahead lane for that matter, and you didn't want to be?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 767
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you fail to turn when a filter light came on? No, but this is close.Did you find yourself in the turn right or turn left only lane, or straight ahead lane for that matter, and you didn't want to be? No
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 4511
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you turn when you shouldn't have?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 770
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you turn when you shouldn't have? No. This was more embarrassing than illegal ={
Lynne (Lynne)

Post Number: 4513
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you stall?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 775
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you stall? No
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 2805
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What's a filter light?

Were you at a four-way stop?

Were you in an urban, suburban, residential or rural area, and is this relevant? Are particular national or local traffic laws relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 788
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What's a filter light? It's a light where it only permits one lane to turn. Like a green arrow pointing left. (I didn't know what it meant either; I had to Google "traffic filter light" to answer that question, so don't worry about knowing it.)

Were you at a four-way stop? With all stop signs? No.

Were you in an urban, suburban, residential This or rural area, and is this relevant? Only to why it was annoying. Are particular national or local traffic laws relevant? Yope
Fermat1601 (Fermat1601)
Username: Fermat1601

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pedestrians involved?
Does this have anything to do with those new blinking yellow lights?
Did this happen at an intersection?
If so,
Was it between a primary and a secondary road?
Did it have any stop signs?
Did the first road have more than one lane in any direction?
Did the second road have more than one lane in any direction?
Was there a center turn lane?
Were you turning left? right? not turning? U-turn?
Is the type of your car relevant? The type of other cars?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 795
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pedestrians involved? No
Does this have anything to do with those new blinking yellow lights? No
Did this happen at an intersection? Yes
If so,
Was it between a primary and a secondary road? Not really, but irrel
Did it have any stop signs? No
Did the first road have more than one lane in any direction? Yes
Did the second road have more than one lane in any direction? Yes
Was there a center turn lane? No but irrel
Were you turning left? This but irrel right? not turning? U-turn?
Is the type of your car relevant? The type of other cars? No to both
Markobr (Markobr)
Username: Markobr

Post Number: 738
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you stop at a green light?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 806
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you stop at a green light? Unfortunately, I did!

**********SPOILER**********

To sagle is to stop at a green light, either when one is expecting a red light, not paying attention, or any other reason.

Sagling is typically embarrassing to you, and annoying to other drivers, especially those who end up stuck at the red light!

I tend to sagle for the first reason: I'm expecting the light to be red. This is because I have taken the same 30-minute route to Simsbury (where my church and old high school are) almost every day for a full year, and thus know which lights are usually red, and almost always automatically stop at them.

Nice work to all of you involved for lots of good questions, and Markobr for the solve.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: