[Noel] A wish Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2010 » [Noel] A wish « Previous Next »

Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1784
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2010 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wish I could, but I can't. And the proof is available for all to see.

fair warning--this one is a bit silly
Jumpingjack (Jumpingjack)
Username: Jumpingjack

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2010 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LTPF relevant?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2010 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I" = you (Noel)?

All = all LTPF members? Visitors to the forum?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1788
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LTPF relevant? yes. {wow, that was quick!}

"I" = you (Noel)? yes

All = all LTPF members? yes Visitors to the forum? yes
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1789
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"I" = you (Noel)? yes

Post Number: 1418
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently hosted a puzzle where the LTPF was crucial, and I think at some point I mentioned that it was a bit silly too, so my mind automatically jumped to that. =)

Which of the following is relevant:

Your profile? Your name? Country? Your posts? Your puzzle title? Your puzzle statement? Formatting? Bold? Italics? Placing [Noel] after A Wish instead of the other way round?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1790
Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which of the following is relevant:

Your profile? no Your name? no Country? no Your posts? thisish Your puzzle title? yes, only in that this puzzle is about a wish Your puzzle statement? yes Formatting? no Bold? no Italics? no Placing [Noel] after A Wish instead of the other way round? lol, no. You know, I was so pleased with myself for actually remembering to put my name on it at all (for a change) that I didn't even notice I had done it backwards!
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 2093
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2010 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the proof available for all to see at this very page? At your profile page? Is your post count relevant? Your post cont relative to others? Do you wish you could call yourself a veteran LTPFer, but you can't since it's clear to see you've been here for less than a year? Or that you could pass of as a newbie, but with almost 1800 posts that's not happening?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1792
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the proof available for all to see at this very page? yes At your profile page? Is your post count relevant? Your post cont relative to others? Do you wish you could call yourself a veteran LTPFer, but you can't since it's clear to see you've been here for less than a year? Or that you could pass of as a newbie, but with almost 1800 posts that's not happening? no to the rest
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can the proof be seen in other of your puzzles? Other puzzles from other members? Only this page?

Is this page itself the proof?

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with the time of your posts?
Editing of posts?
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 2094
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone else on the LTPF? Can I? Is the proof visible in your first post? Do you wish you could/were doing something else/being somewhere else at 5:55pm on a friday?
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 1741
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tried to post a smiley, and fell foul of the smile ban. Is it this?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1793
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can the proof be seen in other of your puzzles? No. At least, I hope not. Other puzzles from other members? no Only this page? yes

Is this page itself the proof? yes or yesish

Anything to do with the time of your posts? noish or yope
Editing of posts?no

Can anyone else on the LTPF? everyone on LTPF can Can I? so yes Is the proof visible in your first post? my first post ever? No Do you wish you could/were doing something else/being somewhere else at 5:55pm on a friday? haha, no

I tried to post a smiley, and fell foul of the smile ban. Is it this? no, but isn't that such a strange thing to have forbidden/rejected by the site!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the proof visible in the puzzle statement? The title?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the proof visible in the puzzle statement? this The title?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are any of the following phrases relevant:

"I wish"
"I could"
"But I can't"
"And the proof"
"Is available"
"For all"
"To see"
"Fair warning"
"This one"
"Is a bit silly"
?

Is the fact that some text is bold relevant? That some is italicized?
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)
Username: Ohlala8

Post Number: 556
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you not make text both bold and italicized?

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you wish you could change the time so it reflects the timezone where you are?
Lynne (Lynne)
Username: Lynne

Post Number: 4563
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you wish that you could edit posts?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1798
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are any of the following phrases relevant:

"I wish"
"I could"
"But I can't"
"And the proof"
"Is available"
"For all"
"To see"
No individual part is more relevant than any other part

"Fair warning"
"This one"
"Is a bit silly"
?These are irrel

Is the fact that some text is bold relevant? That some is italicized? no to both

Can you not make text both bold and italicized?no - you actually can do that (and so can I =) )

Do you wish you could change the time so it reflects the timezone where you are? irrel

Do you wish that you could edit posts?irrel (but yes!)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the time of the puzzle statement relevant? The day? Date?
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)
Username: Ohlala8

Post Number: 585
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you never do whatever it is? Only on this site? Is it even an action that could be applied to another site? Another forum, perhaps? Can you only not do it for this puzzle? Only at the moment that you posted this puzzle?

Is the ability, or lack thereof, physical? mental? Related to the restrictions of your computer? Related to the restrictions of the site?
Beccaann (Beccaann)
Username: Beccaann

Post Number: 2153
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

quote:

Can anyone else on the LTPF? everyone on LTPF can Can I? so yes

Does this mean everyone can see the proof, or everyone can do the thing that you wish you could do but can't?
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 822
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can't think of anything that happened to you recently that would make a good puzzle? so you have to resort to making a puzzle about that fact?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2010 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can't think of anything that happened to you recently that would make a good puzzle? so you have to resort to making a puzzle about that fact? close enough that I'm not going to answer the other questions above.

***SPOILER***
I've been wanting to host a puzzle for a while, but have been struggling to come up with any ideas whatsoever. (For those who are interested, that's why I said time was noishly/yopishly relevant...the actual time of my post was irrelevant, but the length of time between this and my previous puzzle was). So I created this puzzle in an attempt to overcome a severe case of writer's block, to try to stimulate the creative juices. I'm not sure if it worked yet, though. =) I figured that it might not be a *good* puzzle, but it should at least be somewhat perplexing for you. Anyway, here's a revision of the original puzzle statement:

I wish I could think of a good puzzle to host, but I can't right now. And this puzzle, which all can see, is proof that I can't.

Thanks to all who participated, and to Bioquip who made a huge jump from where everyone else was to the answer, and to all who were willing to put up with this little bit of silliness.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Friday, June 25, 2010 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it's any help, I think this was a brilliant puzzle. Can't wait to see your next one!
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 1802
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: