[It_So_Happened] The Things We Do Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2010 » [It_So_Happened] The Things We Do « Previous Next »

It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 348
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The other day, I was working at my computer at home. I was sweating, and my face was only half-shaved. Why?

I = me = myself = ISH
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 2224
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you sweating because it was hot? Or were you sick? Or scared? Was your computer working? Was your face shaved on one side? Were you interrupted while shaving? did the shaving equipment fail? Relevant how you shave? Did the power go out?

Post Number: 349
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you sweating because it was hot? Yes
Or were you sick? Or scared? No
Was your computer working? Yes
Was your face shaved on one side? Yes
Were you interrupted while shaving? No-ish
did the shaving equipment fail? No
Relevant how you shave? Yes, to a degree
Did the power go out? No
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)
Username: Ohlala8

Post Number: 655
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it summer? Is your house normally air conditioned? Did your computer overheat?
Did you intentionally shave only half your face? Did you realize you'd only shaved half your face? Did you still have shaving cream on your face? Was anyone home besides you? Relevant what your job is? What you were working on?

Post Number: 350
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it summer? Yes
Is your house normally air conditioned? Yes
Did your computer overheat? No
Did you intentionally shave only half your face? Yope, I wasn't planning on shaving only half of my face
Did you realize you'd only shaved half your face? Yes
Did you still have shaving cream on your face? No, small FA
Was anyone home besides you? No
Relevant what your job is? No
What you were working on? No
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 2227
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you take a break while shaving? Was there something wrong with your air conditioner? Did it go wrong while you were shaving? Is what you're doing to the computer related to the reason why it's so hot? Will it result in it becoming colder?

Post Number: 352
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you take a break while shaving? Yes-ish
Was there something wrong with your air conditioner? No
Did it go wrong while you were shaving? No
Is what you're doing to the computer related to the reason why it's so hot? No
Will it result in it becoming colder? No
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)

Post Number: 657
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you stop shaving because you were interrupted? Because you realized you needed to do something? Work on the computer? Because you ran out of something? There was something wrong with your razor or other shaving equipment? You shave in the shower and the hot water ran out? You just wanted half a face of stubble?

Post Number: 354
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you stop shaving because you were interrupted? No
Because you realized you needed to do something? Yes-ish
Work on the computer? No
Because you ran out of something? No
There was something wrong with your razor or other shaving equipment? No
You shave in the shower and the hot water ran out? No (I don't shave in the shower)
You just wanted half a face of stubble? No, I would rather be all the way shaven =)
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 2229
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did something happen that made you stop shaving? Or did you suddenly realize something that had to be done immediately? Were you also sweating while you were shaving? Relevant what you're doing on the computer? Do you shave with an electric shaver?

Post Number: 356
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did something happen that made you stop shaving? No
Or did you suddenly realize something that had to be done immediately? Yes, with a slight ish
Were you also sweating while you were shaving? Maybe, irr
Relevant what you're doing on the computer? No
Do you shave with an electric shaver? Yes!
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)

Post Number: 659
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did something about the act of shaving remind you of what you needed to do? Could you have done it before you started shaving? After you had finished all the way? Is your razor battery powered? Rechargeable? Did what you had to do have anything to do with the heat? With your razor's power level?

Post Number: 358
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did something about the act of shaving remind you of what you needed to do? Yes, again with ish. Somewhat of an FA
Could you have done it before you started shaving? Here is where the FA is. There is no specific thing I needed to do.
After you had finished all the way?
Is your razor battery powered? Rechargeable? This, but irr
Did what you had to do have anything to do with the heat? Again, nothing exactly that I needed to do, but the heat itself is irr
With your razor's power level? No
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 830
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Working at your computer = doing something related to your occupation? or just accomplishing a task with the use of your computer?

On a typical day, would you have been at home at the time this happened? at work? somewhere else?

Did you interrupt your shaving in order to do something on your computer?

Post Number: 362
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Working at your computer = doing something related to your occupation? Yes
or just accomplishing a task with the use of your computer?

On a typical day, would you have been at home at the time this happened? at work? This!
somewhere else?

Did you interrupt your shaving in order to do something on your computer? No
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 2236
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you late for work? Home from work? Telecommuting? Could you just as well have finished shaving before you went to the computer? Is the heat relevant at all?

Post Number: 364
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you late for work? No
Home from work? Yes
Telecommuting? Yes (I don't usually do this)
Could you just as well have finished shaving before you went to the computer? I could have, yes, although there may be a slight FA about how I was shaving.
Is the heat relevant at all? The heat itself is not relevant. Why the air conditioner was not on is relevant.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 2241
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the air conditioner off to: save electricity? Not make noise? Would you rather not have shaved at all? Are you videoconferencing? Or otherwise visible to other people?
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)

Post Number: 670
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you shaving at the sink? In your bathroom? In front of a mirror? In front of your computer? Using a webcam as a mirror? Did you use shaving cream?

Post Number: 365
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the air conditioner off to: save electricity? Not make noise? THIS!
Would you rather not have shaved at all? I wanted to shave
Are you videoconferencing? Or otherwise visible to other people? No

Were you shaving at the sink? In your bathroom? In front of a mirror? In front of your computer? This Using a webcam as a mirror? Ha, no, I think I just had a handeld mirror or something
Did you use shaving cream? No, generally don't with electric razors
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)

Post Number: 672
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So did you also turn off the razor in order to not make noise? Did you need to hear something? A sound from the computer? A sound from elsewhere in the house? Outside the house? Did you not want someone else to hear you?

Post Number: 367
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So did you also turn off the razor in order to not make noise? Yes!
Did you need to hear something? Yes!
A sound from the computer? No
A sound from elsewhere in the house? Outside the house? More so this
Did you not want someone else to hear you? No
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)

Post Number: 676
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you hear a noise and turn everything off to hear it better? Or did you know that a sound was forthcoming, and turned everything off so you wouldn't miss it? A person? An animal? A vehicle? The house itself? A natural phenomenon? Weather?

Post Number: 369
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you hear a noise and turn everything off to hear it better? No
Or did you know that a sound was forthcoming, and turned everything off so you wouldn't miss it? Yes!
A person? This
An animal? A vehicle? The house itself? A natural phenomenon? Weather?

Close, now. Only one detail to work out: what was I listening for?
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 832
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A doorbell? knocking? the opening or closing of a gate? a garage door?

Or is it a FA that the person was arriving from outside?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 2255
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the person HAM? F? A child? Toddler? Someone you're trying to avoid? Or surprise?
Ohlala8 (Ohlala8)

Post Number: 680
Posted on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Someone who lives in your house? Someone arriving to visit? Someone arriving to perform a service? Someone delivering something? A neighbor? Someone passing, but not entering, your house?

Post Number: 370
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A doorbell? knocking? this
the opening or closing of a gate? a garage door?
Or is it a FA that the person was arriving from outside? no

Is the person HAM? F? HA, gender irrel Toddler? Someone you're trying to avoid? Or surprise? No to rest

Someone who lives in your house? Someone arriving to visit? Someone arriving to perform a service? Someone delivering something? this one A neighbor? Someone passing, but not entering, your house?

It's well enough for a...

***********SPOILER**************

I was working at home that day because I was expecting an important work-related delivery (bought it off E-bay on a personal account, and had forgotten to use work address). The delivery required a signature, so it was important that I answer the door.

Unfortunately, I live in an older house that (1) has no doorbell, and (2) has window unit air conditioners that are particularly loud. The home office is in the back of the house, so I need it to be quiet in order to listen for knocking. Thus, although it is a hot summer day, I turn off the noisy air conditioners, and after an hour or so, I am sweating lightly.

I also tend to shave with my electric shaver while doing something else. In this case, I decided to shave while working at my computer. Midway through the shave, I realized it was too loud for me to hear the door, so I turned it off, resulting in a half-shave.

I felt rather foolish during the whole event, and imagined I would look quite silly to my wife when she got home. Fortunately, the delivery man arrived first.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: