[Mattiel] Magic? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - August 2010 » [Mattiel] Magic? « Previous Next »

Mattiel (Mattiel)
Username: Mattiel

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's try another one... probably quickier than the free meal one...

I'm sitting in my bed, and I see a small light in front of me. Then suddenly the light disappears.
Explain.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 2976
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the light electric? A nightlight? An LED? Part of a clock? An alarm clock? Are you dreaming? Awake? Are you reading? Using a book light? And you turn it off to go to sleep?
Mattiel (Mattiel)

Post Number: 164
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2010 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, it IS gonna be quickier...

Is the light electric? yesish A nightlight? no An LED? yesish Part of a clock? yesish An alarm clock? yesish as well Are you dreaming? no Awake? yes Are you reading? Using a book light? And you turn it off to go to sleep? no to rest
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 914
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the light on something you are using as an alarm clock, even though that is not its main use (such as a cell phone)?

Is this happening as you are going to bed? In the middle of the night? As you're waking up in the morning?

Just a guess--does the small light signify PM, and it turns off at 12 AM?
Pikachizzle (Pikachizzle)
Username: Pikachizzle

Post Number: 491
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 5:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read a puzzle like this oh so many months ago so I will stay out of it.

I remember that one puzzle was kind of cryptic and scary, though.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 915
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pikachizzle: I don't remember anything quite like this. I remember one about setting an alarm clock to go off at two different times on certain days in order to be able to make a class on time. But there were no lights involved there, and nothing scary.
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the device generating the light connected to a power outlet? Only sometimes (like when charging a battery)? Was the power cut-off at that particular moment?
Mattiel (Mattiel)

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the light on something you are using as an alarm clock, even though that is not its main use (such as a cell phone)? No

Is this happening as you are going to bed? Could be... In the middle of the night? As you're waking up in the morning? ...But none of these is really correct.

Just a guess--does the small light signify PM, and it turns off at 12 AM? No, but OTRT...

I read a puzzle like this oh so many months ago so I will stay out of it. Hmmm as you wish :-), i'm back on the forum after 3-4 years so i'm not aware of this puzzle...

I remember that one puzzle was kind of cryptic and scary, though. Well nothing scary on this one ;-)

Is the device generating the light connected to a power outlet? Yes Only sometimes (like when charging a battery)? No, it's always connected Was the power cut-off at that particular moment? No
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The change in the status of the lid was somehow pre-programmed on the device? Or it was an accident? Did you expect the light to turn off?

The device -- does it have the capability to show off the time of the day (i.e., does is function also as a clock, either as its main function or as an accessory function)? Or it is some kind of a home appliance used for different purposes? It is -- or can function as -- a radio receiver?

Can the led be lit when the device is not connected to the power outlet? Was the diconnection from the outlet the immediate cause of the led being switched off?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 2995
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the light a backlight? On a cell phone? iPod? And it turns off automatically after 10 seconds or so with no action?
Vadron (Vadron)
Username: Vadron

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it actually nighttime? Or are we all just assuming it is because you are in bed? (Naughty, naughty! Never assume anything when you are solving lateral thinking puzzles!
Mattiel (Mattiel)

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The change in the status of the lid was somehow pre-programmed on the device? What do you mean by lid? I guess is a misspell for led? Anyway programmed is not the right word Or it was an accident? No Did you expect the light to turn off? I didn't really, but I could have...

The device -- does it have the capability to show off the time of the day (i.e., does is function also as a clock, either as its main function or as an accessory function)? The device IS an alarm clock, but beware FA here! Or it is some kind of a home appliance used for different purposes? No It is -- or can function as -- a radio receiver? No and irrel.

Can the led be lit when the device is not connected to the power outlet? No Was the diconnection from the outlet the immediate cause of the led being switched off? No

Was the light a backlight? On a cell phone? iPod? And it turns off automatically after 10 seconds or so with no action? No to all

Is it actually nighttime? LOL Yes it is Or are we all just assuming it is because you are in bed? (Naughty, naughty! Never assume anything when you are solving lateral thinking puzzles! You're right in your concern, but no worries, you can assume that it is nighttime
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 3011
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the alarm set on your alarm clock? Was it going off? Did it turn off? Did a light burn out? A light showing part of the time?
Mattiel (Mattiel)

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the alarm set on your alarm clock? Was it going off? Did it turn off? Did a light burn out? No to all A light showing part of the time? No but...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 3024
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the clock working? Are any of the lights blinking? Is it the colon in between the hours/minutes? Does it blink each second?
Mattiel (Mattiel)

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the clock working? Yes Are any of the lights blinking? No Is it the colon in between the hours/minutes? Yes and irrel. Does it blink each second? No and irrel.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 3028
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the clock turn off? Is the power cut in any way? Like a power outage? And that's why the light turns off?
Mattiel (Mattiel)

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the clock turn off? No Is the power cut in any way? No Like a power outage? No And that's why the light turns off? No

HINT: Think more laterally. There's a relevant reason why I answered "yesish" and not "yes" to the very first questions. I'll post a second hint later if things still are stuck.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 924
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you looking directly at the alarm clock? or maybe at a reflection?

Does the light disappear because the source is no longer emitting light? or because the light no longer reaches your eye?
Mattiel (Mattiel)

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you looking directly at the alarm clock? No! maybe at a reflection? Exactly! Does the light disappear because the source is no longer emitting light? Noish or because the light no longer reaches your eye? This is closest. But why?
Eli (Eli)
Username: Eli

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant what creates the reflection?

If so,
mirror?
glass of water?
glass tile?
something else?
Mattiel (Mattiel)

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant what creates the reflection? No
If so mirror? This, but as I said that's irrelevant. glass of water? glass tile? something else?
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you no longer see the reflection of the led because something happened to the mirror? because something came between you and the mirror?
Mattiel (Mattiel)

Post Number: 184
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you no longer see the reflection of the led because something happened to the mirror? because something came between you and the mirror? No to both
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 3064
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you no longer see the reflection because something came between the clock and the mirror? Because you moved and could no longer see the clock in the mirror?
Mattiel (Mattiel)

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you no longer see the reflection because something came between the clock and the mirror? Because you moved and could no longer see the clock in the mirror? No to both as well
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there already something between the clock and mirror? between you and the mirror? and that 'something' change properties so you could no longer see the reflection? (am thinking like a see-through object that for some reason suddenly became opaque)
Mattiel (Mattiel)

Post Number: 186
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there already something between the clock and mirror? between you and the mirror? and that 'something' change properties so you could no longer see the reflection? (am thinking like a see-through object that for some reason suddenly became opaque)
Once again, no to all. There is another, very relevant element, which has not been mentioned until now if not very vaguely.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 3071
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the mirror on the wall facing you? On a side wall? On the wall behind you? Is the clock on a nightstand? Next to your bed? Is it facing in the same direction as you? Off to one side? Is the clock digital?
Mattiel (Mattiel)

Post Number: 188
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the mirror on the wall facing you? This On a side wall? On the wall behind you? So no to these Is the clock on a nightstand? Yes Next to your bed? Yes Is it facing in the same direction as you? Yes Off to one side? Please rephrase, I don't understand :-( Is the clock digital? Yes it is
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 3077
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can ignore the "off to one side" - I meant "is it facing one of the side walls, given the direction you're facing", but the "yes" to the previous question negated it.

Was the clock still working when the light "went out"? Or did it stop working? Does anything change about the clock that causes you to no longer see the light? The mirror? You? Are you always in the same position during the course of events?
Mattiel (Mattiel)

Post Number: 189
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can ignore the "off to one side" - I meant "is it facing one of the side walls, given the direction you're facing", but the "yes" to the previous question negated it.
Ok! :-)

Was the clock still working when the light "went out"? Yes Or did it stop working? No Does anything change about the clock that causes you to no longer see the light? Yes! The mirror? No You? No Are you always in the same position during the course of events? Yes
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it important whether this is a 12 or a 24 hour clock? (can't understand how/why, but this is LTPF after all, lol, so no question will be left un-asked)
Mattiel (Mattiel)

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it important whether this is a 12 or a 24 hour clock? Hmmm no, not really, but assume it's a 24 hour (can't understand how/why, but this is LTPF after all, lol, so no question will be left un-asked) Good behaviour ;-)
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Daylight savings time relevant?

Was the change expected? totally out of the blue?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 3081
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the clock only measure the time? Or does it also have the date? An AM/PM LED? An alarm LED? The temperature?

Did the clock fall off the nightstand? Does the clock move during the course of events?
Mattiel (Mattiel)

Post Number: 191
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Daylight savings time relevant? No

Was the change expected? Let's say it was easily predictable, yes totally out of the blue? So no to this

Does the clock only measure the time? Yes Or does it also have the date? An AM/PM LED? An alarm LED? Only this, but irrel. The temperature? So no to rest

Did the clock fall off the nightstand? Does the clock move during the course of events? No to both
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 3092
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the "small light" a number on the clock? A single LED on the clock? Could you only see part of the clock in the mirror? Only the first digit? Maybe the clock went from 12:59 to 1:00, and so the first digit "disappeared"?
Mattiel (Mattiel)

Post Number: 192
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the "small light" a number on the clock? YES! A single LED on the clock? So no Could you only see part of the clock in the mirror? So yes :-) Only the first digit? Exactly so! Maybe the clock went from 12:59 to 1:00, and so the first digit "disappeared"? Almost the real thing, but still close enough to declare a:

SPOILER:

So, I was sitting on my bed and I could see a red light in the mirror facing the bed; this light was the reflection of a "2" coming from my alarm clock, which was indicating 23:59. Given the angle I could only see the "2" in the reflection. So one minute after, when the clock switched from 23:59 to 0:00, the "2" disappeared and the rest of the lights were not in my angle of vision, so as a result the light I was seeing in the mirror disappeared.

Thanks everybody for playing, hope you enjoyed it, and special compliments to Balin who followed the puzzle from the very beginning and did the final solving!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: