[peter365] I come from a land down under Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2010 » [peter365] I come from a land down under « Previous Next »

Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 2812
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just been cured of a scrund about a very well know song.

Fire away
Mattiel (Mattiel)
Username: Mattiel

Post Number: 255
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the song by an american artist/band? By an english one? Other?
Is it a song from the 50's? the 60's? .... the 2000's?
Style of the song: rock? pop? folk? blues? jazz? hip hop? r'n'b? metal?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2814
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the song by an american artist/band? This one By an english one? Other?
Is it a song from the 50's? the 60's? .... the 2000's? 70's
Style of the song: rock? this pop? folk? blues? jazz? hip hop? r'n'b? metal?
Mattiel (Mattiel)

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Band or single artist?

Subgenre: psychedelic rock? Southern rock? Hard rock? Punk rock?

Some guesses... Dylan? Santana? Jimi Hendrix? Doors? Grateful Dead? Jefferson Airplane? Eagles? Lynyrd Skynyrd? ZZTop? Ramones? Patti Smith? CCR? Alice Cooper? Kiss? Aerosmith?

Hmmm I can't think of any other american rock act from the '70s for now :-)
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2815
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Band or single artist? sole artist with backing musicians etc.

Subgenre: psychedelic rock? Southern rock? Hard rock? Punk rock? Quite hard to put this into a specific genre. This person sung hard rock songs but also some ballads . I guess at a strech some might class it as almost operatic rock but don't take my word for it

Some guesses... Dylan? Santana? Jimi Hendrix? Doors? Grateful Dead? Jefferson Airplane? Eagles? Lynyrd Skynyrd? ZZTop? Ramones? Patti Smith? CCR? Alice Cooper? Kiss? Aerosmith? None of these but a fine list all the same

Hmmm I can't think of any other american rock act from the '70s for now :-) As I've said this act is quite hard to pigeonhole
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 3749
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund related to the song title? The lyrics? Background behind the song? Is it a mondegreen? Is the single artist a man? Woman? Do women glow and men plunder?
Mattiel (Mattiel)

Post Number: 257
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You said the song is very well known. Is this true in the US, or all over the world (let's say, the western world)?

Is the song more known than the artist?

Is this song his/her only great success?

In the artist M? F? Alive?

Is the song from 1970? 71? 72? ... 79?
Viniter (Viniter)
Username: Viniter

Post Number: 137
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was thinking about Men At Work - Down Under... but it's Australian band and 80s song. :-(

Does the scrund have anything to do with Australians? Fact that some member of the band "came from the land down under"?

Is it scrund about the song itself? About the meaning of it? About some part of lyrics?
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 1825
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A mondegreen? In the best rabbinical tradition?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1826
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr M Loaf?

Did you perhaps think that the phrase 'like a bat out of hell' originated in Mr Loaf's song?

Or that Mr Loaf was capable of coining a memorable phrase all by himself?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2816
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund related to the song title? NoThe lyrics? No Background behind the song? No Is it a mondegreen? No Is the single artist a man? This see below Woman? Do women glow and men plunder? They do but not in this puzzle
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2817
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mattiel

You said the song is very well known. Is this true in the US, or all over the world (let's say, the western world)?

Is the song more known than the artist?

Is this song his/her only great success?

In the artist M? F? Alive?

Is the song from 1970? 71? 72? ... 79? As Woodworm has the song I can skip these

Viniter

I was thinking about Men At Work - Down Under... but it's Australian band and 80s song. :-(

Does the scrund have anything to do with Australians? Fact that some member of the band "came from the land down under"? No to all as you will see, however to my mind Hell could be described as a land down under

Is it scrund about the song itself? Yes About the meaning of it? About some part of lyrics? but not either of these

Woodworm

A mondegreen? In the best rabbinical tradition? No

Mr M Loaf? Indeed

Did you perhaps think that the phrase 'like a bat out of hell' originated in Mr Loaf's song? Not this, but you have the right song

Or that Mr Loaf was capable of coining a memorable phrase all by himself? Ha Ha, not this
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 3768
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund about the meaning of the song? The inspiration? The fact that it's the album's title track?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 3769
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...the song's genre?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2818
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund about the meaning of the song? The inspiration? The fact that it's the album's title track?

...the song's genre? None of these I'm afraid.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 3778
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course this is about one of the few 70s/80s/90s rock songs I don't know...

Could anyone have this scrund? Do you think many people have the scrund? Relevant that it's Meat Loaf who sings it? If there were a cover version of the song, would you still have had the scrund? Is the song's title relevant?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2819
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course this is about one of the few 70s/80s/90s rock songs I don't know...Oh dear then this is going to be tough for you

Could anyone have this scrund? Providing they've heard the song yes Do you think many people have the scrund? I would be amazed if nearly everyone didn't have this scrund Relevant that it's Meat Loaf who sings it? No If there were a cover version of the song, would you still have had the scrund? depends on the cover version. I hope this never arises Is the song's title relevant? No
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this about the meaning of the song? There are quite a few songs which seem to be about relationships (in this case, a guy who bed-hops?) and turn out to be about Jesus, or tapirs, or something equally random. Is it along these lines?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2822
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this about the meaning of the song? There are quite a few songs which seem to be about relationships (in this case, a guy who bed-hops?) and turn out to be about Jesus, or tapirs, or something equally random. Is it along these lines? No not this . There are too many theories on what BOFH is about to have a scrund about it
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2823
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course there are even more theories on what BOOH is about
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 3805
Posted on Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the music video for the song relevant? Instruments played? Is the song about a bat escaping from hell? Are the two album sequels relevant at all?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 3846
Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 4:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Length of the song relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 3847
Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the tone of the song relevant? Inspiration behind the song? A live version? Recording?

Just listened to the song - I can see why it's so well known.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2824
Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the music video for the song relevant? No Instruments played? This Is the song about a bat escaping from hell? Irr Are the two album sequels relevant at all? no

Length of the song relevant? No

Is the tone of the song relevant? No Inspiration behind the song? No A live version? Not really Recording? Well the scrund arose due to listening to the album version of the song

Just listened to the song - I can see why it's so well known. Yeah it's pretty unique
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 3850
Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Instruments relevant: electric guitar? Acoustic guitar? Bass? Keyboards? Vocals? Drums? Something else?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2825
Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Instruments relevant: electric guitar? thisAcoustic guitar? Bass? Keyboards? Vocals? Drums? Something else?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 3859
Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund about whether the song includes an electric guitar? How many electric guitars are played in the song? Does the song have any electric guitars in it?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2826
Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund about whether the song includes an electric guitar? No How many electric guitars are played in the song? Yope Does the song have any electric guitars in it? It does
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 3891
Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guitar lead (riff/solo) relevant? Is the lead played on two guitars? One? But you thought it was played on two? One?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2827
Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guitar lead (riff/solo) relevant? Guitar solo is relevant Is the lead played on two guitars? Not sure One? See above but not really relevant But you thought it was played on two? One? No that's not what the scrunds about
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 3892
Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Difficulty of the guitar solo relevant? Length? The person playing the solo?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2828
Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Difficulty of the guitar solo relevant? Yes Length? Not really The person playing the solo? Yes. There is more than one solo in the song
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 3898
Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think that there was only one solo? Are there actually two? Three? Four? Are they all played by the same person? Are they very difficult? Are any of the solos going on at the same time? (Wait...that wouldn't make it a solo, would it?)
Kaygee (Kaygee)
Username: Kaygee

Post Number: 466
Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oo-oo! I think I know this one...
Are you referring to a particular sound effect in the song?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2829
Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think that there was only one solo? No Are there actually two? well there's lots of fancy guitar playing including a 2 minute solo at the start so part of the scrund is the interpretation of what's a guitar solo Three? Four? Are they all played by the same person? Not sure and irr Are they very difficult? the relevant solo would in my opinion be extremely difficult Are any of the solos going on at the same time? (Wait...that wouldn't make it a solo, would it?) LOL you're confusing me now
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2830
Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oo-oo! I think I know this one... Oo-oo methinks you do
Are you referring to a particular sound effect in the song? absolutely right. Please feel free to spoil this . Were you a fellow holder of this scrund?
Kaygee (Kaygee)

Post Number: 467
Posted on Monday, September 06, 2010 - 5:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have that honor or I can keep quiet while others ask more lateral questions.

Like most of the average people in the world, I held the same scrund - but my husband is a huge "TR" fan. He told me about "it" several years ago. Do you have the YouTube link with Jim S.?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2832
Posted on Monday, September 06, 2010 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have that honor or I can keep quiet while others ask more lateral questions. No I insist please go ahead and post the solve as this was never going to be a long drawn out puzzle.

Like most of the average people in the world, I held the same scrund - but my husband is a huge "TR" fan. He told me about "it" several years ago. Do you have the YouTube link with Jim S.? I haven't see the YouTube clip but will check it out. Isn't it the most amazing bit of guitar playing you've ever heard
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 3925
Posted on Monday, September 06, 2010 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll let Kaygee take this one down - I have no clue what it is - but who is "TR"? Is he Meat Loaf's guitarist?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2833
Posted on Monday, September 06, 2010 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll let Kaygee take this one down - I have no clue what it is - but who is "TR"? Is he Meat Loaf's guitarist? Indeed he is , the legendary Todd Rundgren
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 3931
Posted on Monday, September 06, 2010 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh...I do know who Todd Rundgren is! Didn't know he was Meat Loaf's guitarist though.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2837
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll think I'll go ahead and spoil as Kaygee has the answer

*******************Spoiler***************

I first heard Bat out of Hell in 1978 and always loved the revving motorcycles bit. However I always assumed that this sound effect was simply a recording of some motorcycles. Not so, the sound effect is actually created on an electric guitar by the one & only Todd Rundgren.

I only discovered this when watching a documentary recently on the making of the album. I nearly fell of my chair when I discovered the truth. Have a listen to the song again and marvel at Todd's skill. I must have heard this song a thousand times in my lifetime and It never dawned on me that they weren't real motorcycles.

Is 32 years an LTPF record for the longest holding of a scrund
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 3959
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't say; I've only been alive for a few months under 19. And that is an awesome sound effect!
Kaygee (Kaygee)

Post Number: 468
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had to go look up the instructions to post a link. Check out this YouTube video of Jim Steinman talking about production of the song.

Jim Steinman talks about Todd Rundgren's guitar

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: