{KayleeTonksLupin} A very corrupt cit... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2010 » {KayleeTonksLupin} A very corrupt city...(Lateral Adventure) « Previous Next »

Author Message
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 10
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hope this works right. Hi, I'm new and this is my first lateral thinking puzzle. I hope everyone enjoys.

You open your eyes and find yourself staring up at the cloudless, blue sky. The sun is shining, but all is quiet. As you lie on your back in the middle of the mercifully empty road, you wonder how you came to be here...wherever, or possibly (you shudder) whenever...you are. How will you get home?
La_sparky (La_sparky)
New member
Username: La_sparky

Post Number: 184
Registered: 10-2008
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

where is your home?
Look around, describe the landscape.
What is the road made of?
Are there any signs?
Are there any other people?
Can you hear anything?
Do you have anything with you? If so, describe
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 12
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

where is your home? Can't answer. Yet.

Look around, describe the landscape. Sure. You get up and look up and down the road. There are eight buildings within sight, each of which appears to be a mansion of some kind, made out of various jewels flashing in the sun. Each one is different. The road you are standing on is a wide avenue, also paved with jewels. In the middle of the avenue is a large bell tower, which appears to also work as a fountain. You're closest to the largest mansion, standing at the northeast end of the main road. Facing the place, you see a road forking off to the north, and one to the east, dividing this mansion from the two closest to it.

What is the road made of? You bend down and look. Upon close inspection, it seems to be a mosaic of emerald green and garnet red, with here and there citrine yellow, sapphire blue and pearl white, in no particular pattern. It's very lovely, though.

Are there any signs? There aren't any street names. Apparently newcomers aren't expected here and whoever lives in this small place is expected to know where they are and where they're going.

Are there any other people? Yes, for svv of "people"...there's certainly someone about, sweeping the front courtyard of the mansion you are facing. He's ignoring you at the moment.
Can you hear anything? Just the swishing of the broom, and the faint tinkling of bells from the fountain.

Do you have anything with you? If so, describe Not much. You're wearing a nondescript white robe, and carrying a large straw basket, something like a picnic basket. It's very light.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 4786
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go up and talk to the "person." What does he look like? Ask him his name, and what he's up to.

What is this mansion made out of?

Open your basket. Is anything inside it?

Take a closer look at the bell tower/fountain. Does anything stand out about it?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 13
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go up and talk to the "person." What does he look like? Ask him his name, and what he's up to. Why, certainly. You go up to the "person". He looks vaguely human, although he's more otherworldly. He has white, long hair, though he doesn't appear old outwardly. His eyes are brownish. He's wearing a robe like yours, but it's sky-blue, with an eagle in full flight embroidered on it. Under the sleeveless robe you see he's wearing a mail shirt, and presumably something under that, too. He is wearing a sword belt, and a sword, too. Clearly he's a warrior of some sort, even though he's sweeping the courtyard.

You approach with caution. "Who are you?" you ask cautiously. "What are you doing?" He turns to you and smiles mysteriously. "I am the Herald, child. I welcome you to the City of the Powers."


What is this mansion made out of? A wide portico with three broad steps fronts the mansion, an incredible edifice made mostly from cut crystals of different hues. Sapphires seem to make up its foundation with towers of amethyst and colonnades of amber. Walls made of blue quartz there were and floors made from beryl and lapis lazuli. In the brightness of day, it positively shines. Lights from inside the structure makes it glow in a rainbow of colors, though blue seems to dominate.

Open your basket. Is anything inside it? You look. Nothing. It's an empty basket. Not even a sandwich. Too bad.

Take a closer look at the bell tower/fountain. Does anything stand out about it? You walk away from the mysterious Herald down the gemstone-paved avenue, and approach the large bell tower/fountain. There are three mansions on each side of the avenue, and the center two of these directly on each side of this fountain. Upon closer inspection, you see it is built of a green stone that you recognize as imperial jade. The avenue is, you would guess, about thirty feet wide, and the fountain takes about ten of those feet up by itself in the place where it stands, halfway down the road. It is about forty feet high or so. On the top of the jade pillar are several bells, and below them water pours down into the basin of the fountain. Water rises up through the tower, spilling out over the top and flowing down into the large basin. The bells are of different sizes, but all ring gently, the sound lightening your heart. Other than that, nothing particularly stands out about the fountain. It's very beautiful, but you don't think it can help you just yet.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 576
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 5:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Talk to Herald about the city. What is the city of powers? What do you do? Who lives here? Why am I here?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 14
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 5:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Talk to Herald about the city. What is the city of powers? What do you do? Who lives here? Why am I here? Naturally. You return to him, and ask him your questions. "The City of the Powers is where the Powers dwell with their servants," he answers, rather unhelpfully. "I serve the Elder King as Herald and Oathkeeper. You are here because it is willed so."

Well. What an unhelpful fellow he is proving to be...Perhaps you'd better see if you can find anyone else to ask questions of. Or maybe you just haven't asked the right questions?
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 579
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hm, ask him what is it I am to do?
Then, upon his subsequent unhelpful answer, try to enter that mansion.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 15
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 5:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hm, ask him what is it I am to do?
Then, upon his subsequent unhelpful answer, try to enter that mansion.
You ask him "What am I supposed to do?" You're fairly sure he will be unhelpful, and it shows in your tone. He gives you an amused look at that.

"Many come to the home of my Lords and Ladies with questions. In the end, they all find what they seek, even if it is not what they thought they set out to find."
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 4800
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walk down the north, then the east, roads. Describe what (and who) you see.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 17
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walk down the north, then the east, roads. Describe what (and who) you see.
Sure Balin, no problem. As you walk down the North road, you come to a more populated area. It's a village, and you see its inhabitants mingling in the narrow streets, which are unpaved. They are speaking to each other in a language which you do not understand, but you see that it seems to be a market day, for many stalls line the streets and they are selling food and other wares. The tantalizing scents reach your nose. You look at that picnic basket you're carrying and sigh, wishing you had that sandwich...

Further to the north, looking out from town, you can see a snow-white mountain rising. It's easily the largest mountain you have ever seen. Though it's part of a range, it stands out by sheer size alone. It's rather intimidating to look at.

The road out from town curves northeast toward the MOUS (Mountain Of Unusual Size). There's another road joining it before the road reaches the mountain, and that path curves away northwest. You don't really like the look of that one however...

Turning away, you walk back to the practically abandoned, bejeweled place, past the Herald, and down the East road. With the Herald's King's mansion on your left, you stop to look at the one on your right briefly. It's large and seems to be built of sea-glass, so far as you can tell through the fence around it. It sits on an island, the large lake around it impassable except by a path of stepping-stones at the front. They seem to resemble the shells of incredibly large sea turtles. Shrugging, you turn away and continue down the East road out of town.

You continue walking for a long time. You're getting hot and thirsty, and dusty. All around you is farmland, though you can see a lone carriage making its way toward you at frightening speed. Ducking out of the horse's way, you yelp in surprise as something is thrown at you and the driver shouts in that odd language. You grab the something. It's a pouch full of coins. Apparently he was in a hurry and is very sorry for nearly killing you. Either that, or he wanted you to get out of the way and threw his money by accident, but probably not. At any rate, you have no way to give it back. Might as well keep it.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 581
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look for anything of particular interest in the farmland.

Then head back to the market and take a closer look at the stalls. Try to find something delicious to eat and drink. I'm starving!

Also, try to converse with the locals. Can i understand anyone?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 18
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look for anything of particular interest in the farmland. You look around. No crops are ripe at this time and no one seems to be working. It's around the middle of the day, so you suspect everyone's taking lunch by now.

Then head back to the market and take a closer look at the stalls. Try to find something delicious to eat and drink. I'm starving! Of course you are, it's lunchtime. You might be interested to know there's a gold coin, seventeen silvers, twenty-nine bronze, as well as a handful of what seem to be...would you look at that, common American coins. Pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, and a dollar coin, all bright, shiny and new. Somehow, though, you don't think the American coins will help you here in the market...but they may be useful for figuring out something else.

Meanwhile, food. You look up and down through the stalls. There's no KFC or In-N-Out Burger here, more's the pity, I say. But there does appear to be a vendor selling roasted fowl, and one selling other cooked meat. One's selling vegetables and fruits, and there's one selling baked goods. Another vendor is selling drinks...they don't appear to be alcoholic. Good, you don't want your faculties impaired.


Also, try to converse with the locals. Can i understand anyone? You make a valiant effort, but these folk don't seem to understand English. You remember that the Herald understood you, but so far he seems to be the only one. I wonder why? Still, the vendors do understand the language of money...They seem honest. I bet they'd be able to point out to you what things cost around here.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 4815
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not having been to California, I've never experienced the joys of In-N-Out Burger. But I do enjoy Five Guys myself.

How many of each American coin do you have? Any half-dollars in the mix?

Show the vendors the gold, silver, and bronze coins. See what they're selling, and ask how much everything costs.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 19
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not having been to California, I've never experienced the joys of In-N-Out Burger. But I do enjoy Five Guys myself.

I've never been to Five Guys, so I'll take your word for it too, Balin. All I know is, Eat This, not That! seems to approve more of In-N-Out than Five Guys. *grin* Although if you ever do get to go to In-N-Out, and you develop a craving for a 100x100...I hope you brought friends.

How many of each American coin do you have? Any half-dollars in the mix? You have one dollar, two quarters, three dimes, five nickels, and eight pennies. No half-dollars.

Show the vendors the gold, silver, and bronze coins. See what they're selling, and ask how much everything costs. Care to be a little more specific? Ah, I'll cut you a break...you're starving... You go to the nearest vendor. He's selling roasted fowl. You're not sure whether it's chicken or not but it does smell good. You carefully lay out the coins in front of him. He takes twelve of your bronze coins and hands you a hot sandwich, made with a crusty, warm roll, a piece of meat and a sweet sauce, before waving you aside. Ravenous, you wolf down about half the sandwich before it occurs to you that you never know what you might need in this place. You put half the sandwich in your bag, less faint now, and continue on.

Twelve more bronze coins gets you two apples...one which you carefully put away...and six, a glass bottle of that beautiful, wonderful drink you saw being sold. You take a gulp of it. It's water, but the sweetest, most refreshing water you've ever had. You decide that it's best to keep some just in case, cork the bottle, and put it away. Handy, this basket.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 585
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask sweeping man about villagers, about the mountain, and about the mansions. Ask him if there is anyone here who speaks English. Also, ask him about his sweeping, just for kicks.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 20
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask sweeping man about villagers, about the mountain, and about the mansions. Ask him if there is anyone here who speaks English. Also, ask him about his sweeping, just for kicks. Well, he's not exactly a "Man", but I suppose you could call him a man. I know what you mean, anyway. You go back to where you saw the Herald. He's no longer sweeping; now he's speaking to a female. She's not exactly human, either; she appears to be whatever he is. She has long silver hair and piercing violet eyes, and is wearing a sleeveless indigo robe, decorated with a white eight-rayed star on the front. They look similar enough to be related, you think. They turn when they sense your presence, and she comes forward.

"Welcome, stranger. My brother says you have come asking questions." You nod and ask about the villagers, and the mountain.

"They are the Quendi," she says with great affection in her tone. "The mountain is the home of the Elder King and his Queen, when my Lord and Lady are not in residence here." She gestures to the manor. "They are not here, but are in residence in Ilmaren presently," she adds, gesturing in the general direction of the mountain.
You ask about her brother and his sweeping. "He lost a bet," she says carelessly, flashing you a wicked smile.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 587
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Compliment her on her conversational superiority to her brother.
Ask her who willed me here, and if I might seek audience with the Elder King.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 21
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Compliment her on her conversational superiority to her brother.
Ask her who willed me here, and if I might seek audience with the Elder King.
I have to stop laughing first, ISH! Yes, she is conversationally superior, isn't she? *snicker*

You compliment her on her conversational superiority to the Herald. Her eyes twinkle with amusement. "I thank you, Child," she replies. "Yes, mine elder brother was never one for conversation. He talks best with his sword." She nods to the weapon still hanging at her brother's waist. You ask who willed you there.
"Why, the One, of course, for we do His will in all things," she replies. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem particularly helpful at the moment. When you ask if you might seek audience with the Elder King, she smiles gently and shakes her head. "Not yet, dearest Child. First, you must find what you seek here. Fear not! Though my Masters are not in residence, their brethren and mine are." With a sweep of her arm, she indicates the other seven manors.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 590
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask her what I seek (long shot).
Then, thank her for her help, and try the mansion directly across the road.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 22
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask her what I seek (long shot). "What do I seek?" you ask. She gives you an amused look. "Why, what you find, of course, Child," she answers with a merry laugh. "Go and find out."

Then, thank her for her help, and try the mansion directly across the road. Do you mean across the East Road, or across the North Road? Or all the way down the avenue at the other end? I just want to make sure I understand you, lol! Though you've only noted the one across the East Road in any detail, so I'll take you there. The avenue's about a quarter-mile long.

You cross the East road and look up at the mansion before you. It is not quite so large as the one belonging to the Elder King, as well as many of the others. The front gate, (which is carved from a single, impossibly large pearl),is wide open, and your entrance is not blocked. You go onto the property, looking across the lake at the mansion, then down at the slippery sea turtle-shell stepping stones. They don't look very safe, but they're your only bridge. The mansion sits on a foundation of aquamarines, as far as you can tell. Your sight is hindered by the fact that it's partially submerged, though the water is crystal-blue. You stand there for a while, trying to figure out if you really want to cross the slippery shells.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 592
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gingerly test the shells to see if I even have a chance.
If so, go forth!
If not, try the mansion across the other road from the first mansion (on the same side of the avenue).
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 24
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gingerly test the shells to see if I even have a chance. You do that. They're very slippery. You may not want to do that just yet. What are you wearing on your feet, anyway? You look. Hm. Rather worn leather slippers. Perhaps acquiring new footwear is in order?
If so, go forth! You'd have to swim for it, and I don't know if you'd like to risk whether anything's swimming in those waters...
If not, try the mansion across the other road from the first mansion (on the same side of the avenue). Just to clear up an apparently lurking FA of inconsequential importance to the puzzle; the Avenue is a diagonal line running NE-SW. The other roads come off it in L-shapes at the cardinal points, so the submerged-ish mansion across the East road, and the one across the North road are on opposite sides of the Avenue, while the Elder King's mansion sits in between the two roads within the L-shape. You cross to the mansion on the other side of the Avenue instead. It appears to be some kind of compromise between living trees and stone. How very odd. You notice that it's built on a foundation of living trees, and each room seems to be a treehouse, interconnected by ladders and rope bridges. The gate, made of wrought iron, is wide open, and the nearest rope ladder is thrown down. It should be easy enough to get up, if you're good at climbing. Behind the treehouse-manor is what appears to be a forge and several workshops built of brick and stone. Where do you want to go first?
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 595
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I'm sure I'm excellent at climbing, but let's take a look around back first at the forge and workshops.

Thanks for clearig up the avenue issue
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 25
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I'm sure I'm excellent at climbing, but let's take a look around back first at the forge and workshops. You go along the flagged stone path around to the workshops at the back. Several more of these not-humans are round about there, all dressed identically in golden-yellow robes decorated with the sigil of an anvil and hammer. They're working busily in the forge; forging swords and horseshoes, making coins and jewels, and chain mail. The next workshop is a shoemaker's, and you see one of the "Quendi" working in there, dressed as the not-people are and making a pair of sturdy boots. He seems to be nearly finished with them. Wouldn't those be a handy thing to have? They don't look like they'd slip easily.

Thanks for clearig up the avenue issue You're very welcome, ISH
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 596
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Convenient! See if he will sell me those boots.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 26
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Convenient! See if he will sell me those boots.
Convenient indeed! You might almost begin to think that was done on purpose...(lol) You go to him and show him your non-American money. He considers and lets you try on the new boots. They fit, miraculously, so he takes your gold piece, giving you one silver coin in change. You wonder if it's your imagination, but your non-American money seems to change amounts whenever you're not looking, for as soon as you're back out of the workshop, you have one gold, seventeen silvers and twenty-nine bronze again. Something magical's going on around here...Have you even really bothered to look at those American coins, anyway?
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 600
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why would I look at those when I'm surrounded by palaces of jewels? ;) Look at both sets of coins more closely. Check for dates on American money.

Then wear the shoes and cross to the submerged mansion. These boots were made for walkin'!
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 27
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why would I look at those when I'm surrounded by palaces of jewels? ;) Look at both sets of coins more closely. Check for dates on American money. You look at the gold, silver and bronze coins first. The gold and silver each have a Tree on the reverse; the Sun is shown on the obverse of the gold and the full Moon on the obverse of the silver. The bronze coin has a hammer on the reverse and an anvil on the obverse. The American coins are: a Morgan Dollar, two Barber quarters, three Barber dimes, five Liberty Head nickels, and eight Indian Head pennies. All are newly-minted, bright and shiny, and display their minted date as...1900? Curiouser and curiouser...

Then wear the shoes and cross to the submerged mansion. These boots were made for walkin'! Oh, I have to agree with that! You put the boots on, putting the ragged leather slippers in the basket. You might require them later. Going to the submerged mansion and through the pearl gate, you cross the sea turtle stepping stones easily. The entrance into the mansion is fronted by three pearly white steps made of coral rock. You climb those, when suddenly, the door is blocked by one of those not-human Persons. Seems to be a female. She's got sea-green hair and blue eyes, and is wearing a sea-green sleeveless robe, with a silver trident embroidered on it. "Welcome, Child," she says in greeting.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 601
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, water nymph! May I ask your name?
Also, ask her about the city, about what she does, and if she needs anything, and if she's dying to give anything away.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 28
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, water nymph! May I ask your name? She gives you an amused look. "My name is Lady Uinen, Child."
Also, ask her about the city, about what she does, and if she needs anything, and if she's dying to give anything away."This is the City of the Powers. I serve my Lord here, guarding the waters, when my husband is not travelling with our lord. I need nothing, but I thank you for asking." She gives you a considering look. "I cannot die, Child. But I shall give you this." She gives you a horn, apparently made from a spiral seashell.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 602
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank her for the horn. Ask her what it is for. Give it a good blow. Ask her if we are on Earth.

Go back to the Treehouse mansion and climb the rope ladders.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 29
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank her for the horn. Ask her what it is for. Give it a good blow. Ask her if we are on Earth. Go back to the Treehouse mansion and climb the rope ladders. You say "Thank you for the horn...what is it for?" She laughs again and says "It is something the Lord of Forests left when last he visited my Lord, his kinsman." She points down the Avenue, to the mansion just on the other side of this one, on the same side of the road and the other direction from the Herald's place. "I would be grateful if you could return it to him, Child." When you ask if you are on Earth, she gives you a considering look. "That depends on what you mean, Child." Bemused, you return to the Treehouse mansion and climb the rope ladders. You are met by one of the not-humans, a female wearing a spring green robe and carrying a basket of food. Her robe is decorated with a cornucopia on the front. "Welcome, Child. How fares your search?"
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 4833
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Talk to the female. Ask her what you should be searching for. Ask her what food she has, and if any of it is for sale.

Something just clicked - I'm fairly certain the amount of money we have corresponds to Harry Potter money (1 gold Galleon = 17 silver Sickles, 1 silver Sickle = 29 bronze Knuts). Hmmm....

And ISH - looks like we've switched roles; I'm the one who has to read through 20-posts-made-since-I-left now!
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 604
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She didn't need anything, and yet she asked me to run an errand for her ;)

To the Lady of Food, "Well, according to what I've heard, I'm searching only for what I find, so under that definition, it's going quite well, thank you!"
"How do you know me?"
"Tell me about yourself."
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 30
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin: Talk to the female. Ask her what you should be searching for. Ask her what food she has, and if any of it is for sale. {"What should I be searching for?" you ask. She smiles. "Seek and ye shall find." How very helpful, you think sarcastically. "What food do you have?" She displays her basket, and gives you a golden apple in trade for the apple you already have. It seems to be real gold...interesting.}

Something just clicked - I'm fairly certain the amount of money we have corresponds to Harry Potter money (1 gold Galleon = 17 silver Sickles, 1 silver Sickle = 29 bronze Knuts). Hmmm....Haha, you noticed! I was wondering when someone would. Remember, I'm a Harry Potter fan...although that's not my only fandom. This puzzle doesn't have much to do with Harry Potter, but thinking on those lines MIGHT help. Just don't go too far into that Forest...

And ISH - looks like we've switched roles; I'm the one who has to read through 20-posts-made-since-I-left now!Aww, poor Balin!

ISH: She didn't need anything, and yet she asked me to run an errand for her ;) Well...she doesn't NEED you to do it; strictly speaking, it'll help you, not her.

To the Lady of Food, "Well, according to what I've heard, I'm searching only for what I find, so under that definition, it's going quite well, thank you!"
"How do you know me?" "Tell me about yourself.""You are quite welcome, Child...I am a servant of the Earth-Queen, and I know all who she and her brethren love." Not very helpful, but quite a nice gift she gave you, at least...you hope so.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 4842
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All right then, head over to the Lord of Forests' mansion. See if you can find him, and give him the horn if you do.

Could you please recap what's in our basket?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 31
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All right then, head over to the Lord of Forests' mansion. See if you can find him, and give him the horn if you do.

Could you please recap what's in our basket?

RECAP OF BASKET: Large straw picnic basket, containing: Pouch of money (1 gold coin, 17 silver coins, 29 bronze coins that never run out no matter how much you use them. A handful of American coins you haven't tried to do anything with yet. Description runs like so: The gold and silver each have a Tree on the reverse; the Sun is shown on the obverse of the gold and the full Moon on the obverse of the silver. The bronze coin has a hammer on the reverse and an anvil on the obverse. The American coins are: a Morgan Dollar, two Barber quarters, three Barber dimes, five Liberty Head nickels, and eight Indian Head pennies. All are newly-minted, bright and shiny, and display their minted date as 1900. You have half a meat sandwich and a partially empty bottle of fresh water from the market. A ragged pair of leather slippers you were wearing, though now you are wearing boots. A golden apple, made of real gold, which you got from the Food Lady in trade for the real apple from the market, and the seashell-horn from Lady Uinen for the Lord of Forests. I don't think I've missed anything out.

You head over to the Lord of Forests' mansion. It's essentially an extremely large hunting lodge, surrounded by vast flower gardens. Butterflies flock around the place and banners of forest green and blue-green flutter in the gentle breeze. A young female Person is dancing in the front gardens. She appears more regal, somehow, than the others you have met, and does not wear a robe, but a flowing gown of blue-green. A wreath of daisies crowns her flowing chestnut hair.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 605
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Balin, I'm going to try to stay on top of this one. ;) Good thing it's an intriguing one!
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 4850
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Talk to her. Ask if she is the Lord of Forests, and try to give her the horn.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 606
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask lady about herself. Then ask her about Lord of Forests. Then ask her about horn. Then ask her on a date.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 32
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ISH...I hope I don't disappoint!!!
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 4851
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once you're done flirting with the lady, go look at your reflection in the fountain. What do you look like?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 33
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin: Talk to her. Ask if she is the Lord of Forests, and try to give her the horn.

ISH: Ask lady about herself. Then ask her about Lord of Forests. Then ask her about horn. Then ask her on a date. *sputters at last one* Has anyone asked whether the player character is H/A/whatever yet and I missed it? In any case, H/C-ish/F, LOL


"Excuse me...are you the Lord of Forests?" you ask shyly. "I'm meant to give the Lord of Forests this." You take the horn out of your basket. She stops dancing and laughs lightly. "Nay, Child. I am Spouse to the Lord of Forests. My lord is out riding against the dark beings that plague our land. I will accept the horn in his place. Thank you very much, best beloved."

"What is the horn for?" you ask. She smiles. "The horn is to replace my lord's hunting horn. I will send it with one of our People."
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 34
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin: Once you're done flirting with the lady, go look at your reflection in the fountain. What do you look like?

I refused to flirt with the lady as we're dealing with a girl player here, LOL. But to continue...

You go to the fountain and look at your reflection. A girl of about eleven years or so, with dark hair plaited in two pigtails. Dark eyes. Your nondescript white robe looks like it perhaps had some color once...green, you think, trying to remember.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 4857
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No...we never asked about the character's HAM-ness. Serves us right, trying to flirt as an 11-year-old girl....major FA on our part.

Head over and look down the road you "didn't like the look of" earlier. What's so unappealing about it?
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 607
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Serves us right, trying to flirt as an 11-year-old girl...." Haha, I laughed aloud when I found out! Assumptions are fun. I guess it makes sense. What kind of grown man carries things around in wicker baskets? Haha!

Talk further with Spouse of the Lord of Forests. Ask her about "dark beings". Ask her if she can help me in my search for nothing in particular. Also, show her the American coins, and ask what she knows about them.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 36
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Definitely serves you right. For future reference, I personally am H/A/F, though the A is debatable in my mind sometimes, lol.
You head back to the North Road and walk along it as it begins curving northeast, until the northwest road joins it. You stop and stare down it. It's not a very well kept road, and even stepping onto it gives you a feeling of foreboding. It feels as though something dark or evil happened here, some time ago. You have a vague feeling that you conquered some sort of evil, once upon a time, but you don't think it was anywhere near this caliber, and anyway you haven't got any weapons. Whether the something evil still is there or not is in question, but you're not entirely sure you're comfortable trying to find out...
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 37
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Serves us right, trying to flirt as an 11-year-old girl...." Haha, I laughed aloud when I found out! Assumptions are fun. I guess it makes sense. What kind of grown man carries things around in wicker baskets? Haha!

Talk further with Spouse of the Lord of Forests. Ask her about "dark beings". Ask her if she can help me in my search for nothing in particular. Also, show her the American coins, and ask what she knows about them.

You go back to the Spouse of the Lord of Forests and ask her about the dark beings. Her face pales and she shudders. "Our Fallen Brother went that way many Ages ago," is all she will say to that. As for your search, she supposes that you will have to keep looking. She examines the coins with interest, but can tell you nothing about them. "There is no such thing as a coincidence, Child. Trust in the One and all will be well," is all she can say about them.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 608
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's try the next closest mansion.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 38
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ISH: Let's try the next closest mansion.

Staying on the same side of the Avenue, you turn down from the Lord of Forests' mansion and head to the next one. It is built of white marble and moonstones, and seems devoid of color until the sunlight touches it in just the right way, bringing shimmering traces of the rainbow out all over it. The gates are golden, and open wide. No one is out front, but there is a path of flagstones leading around the side of the mansion, probably toward a back garden.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 609
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take the back route. If someone is there, give them the usual questions (who are they, how is life, what can you tell me about my search, etc).
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 39
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take the back route. If someone is there, give them the usual questions (who are they, how is life, what can you tell me about my search, etc).

You take the back route. You see no one. But you do see a tall hedge with an entrance. Apparently it's a maze. You wonder if you should really go in there...what if you can't find your way back?
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 610
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll take that as a warning for now, and see if there's anyway to call someone (or enter) from the front. If not, let's try another mansion. (How many mansions have we visited so far)?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 41
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll take that as a warning for now, good plan, ISH!and see if there's anyway to call someone (or enter) from the front. If not, let's try another mansion. (How many mansions have we visited so far?)Five out of eight. The one with the Herald, Sea Nymph, Smith and Food Lady, Lord of Forests (next to Sea Nymph), and this one, on the other side of Lord of Forests. HINT: It might help if you could figure out just where you are, as this place is not FMOI. It's based on one of my fandoms, and one of my friends actually did the layout, but the characters you're running into were thought up by the author. The H/C/F is from another fandom altogether. I love crossovers...

You go back to the front of the mansion, where you see a Person not unlike the Lord of Forests' Spouse. She has dark hair and eyes, and is dressed in a gown of silver-grey, her dark hair bound up in a net studded with shining moonstones. "What can I do for you, best beloved?"
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 4871
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love crossovers too!

Ask her where you are, who she is, if she needs anything, who her husband is, where her husband is, and what is going on.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 42
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who said she was married? But as a matter of fact, she is, so I will forgive you, lol. *wink* You should find this easier than a lot of people...
You ask where you are. Patiently, she replies, "You are within the City of the Powers, best beloved." In response to who she is, she tells you, "Many call me the Gentle, and I bring rest and healing to my husband's people. He is the Dreamlord and a Master of Spirits even as is his brother." When you ask what is going on, she merely smiles mysteriously. "That is for you to discover, Child." She says she does not need anything, but thinks you might well do, that is, if you plan to get through the maze. "Keep searching, my dear. I am not the one to help you."
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 611
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask her who she is, and where are we, and if this place has anything to do with the eight mansions theory of feng shui (hey, it's my best guess!)
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 612
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ah, well, movie on to another mansion then. I want to get a good feel for the surroundings.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 43
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alas, ISH, it has nothing to do with feng shui...simply because feng shui is something I know nothing about. There are eight mansions merely because that is all there need to be...six couples and two living alone require eight mansions. Good try though, I believe.
You move along to the most southwest mansion, across the South road from this one. It is an impressive edifice, built of rainbow obsidian, carnelian, and amber. Just inside the open gates sits a Person gowned in silver-grey (I made a mistake, the last one ought to have been wearing purple *facepalm*). She is weaving at a loom, and her basket is full of threads in many different colors, even one shining gold. The gold seems rather attractive...
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 613
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steal it. Just kidding. Ask her about herself, then ask her about the gold thread.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 44
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steal it. Just kidding. Ask her about herself, then ask her about the gold thread.

You do not steal it. To your questions, she answers, "I am the Weaver. I weave the histories of the world; things past, present, and possible futures." She glances down at the gold thread. "One of my People spun that today, but I have too much. If you would like it, that skein is yours. Use it well, best beloved."
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 614
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take the gold thread. Look into her weavings and ask her where you fit into it.

Continue to the seventh mansion and describe. Talk to any people found there.

Afterward, go back to the market and browse for other non-food items that might be of interest.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 45
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take the gold thread. Look into her weavings and ask her where you fit into it.You do that. The picture she is currently weaving is too blurry to make out. "You fit into the Present, best beloved, and your place is where Eru wills," she tells you.

Continue to the seventh mansion and describe. Talk to any people found there. The mansion reminds you of a haunted house. It's built of grey stone and decorated with sea-glass. Outside sits a Person more like the Herald than the women you have been meeting, not least because he is male. He looks at you with compassion in his eyes, knowing how confused you must be. "Welcome, Child," he says, bowing.

Afterward, go back to the market and browse for other non-food items that might be of interest. I'll do that if you still want to after conversing with this one.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 615
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds good, let's ask him who he is, ask him where are we, the history of this place, and ask him what my purpose in being here is.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 46
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds good, let's ask him who he is, ask him where are we, the history of this place, and ask him what my purpose in being here is.
"I am the servant of the Lady of Sorrow," he says simply. When you ask where you are, he gives you a pitying look. "You are in the City of the Powers," he says, an answer you have heard many times already. "It was raised here many Ages ago for my masters and kinfolk to dwell in, that we might protect the Quendi." He gives you a considering look at your last question. "Have you not figured it out yet, Child?"
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 616
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tell him, no, I haven't, I'm only eleven!
Ask him about the Quendi.
Then, go ahead to the market again.
Is this at all Tolkien-related?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 47
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tell him, no, I haven't, I'm only eleven! You do that. He gives you a measured look. "You must be one of the Secondborn Children. One of the Quendi who was just eleven would be far smaller."
Ask him about the Quendi. "The Quendi are Atar's Firstborn Children, though we and our masters came ere that in his Thought. We love the Quendi and Atani and do all we can for them."
Then, go ahead to the market again.You go back to the market and look around. Not much has changed. You're wondering if you'll find anything useful here. At the moment, it doesn't seem so.
Is this at all Tolkien-related?You asked me first, not Balin??? I'm shocked! Yes, it is indeed VERY Tolkien-related! You've made a great big step, ISH! Though to avoid FA's, our H/C/F protagonist didn't appear in the Professor's works...
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 617
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting! I may need to consult my wife, as she is the bigger Tolkien fan. =)

In the meantime, let's just head over to that last mansion.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 48
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting! I may need to consult my wife, as she is the bigger Tolkien fan. =) Sure, ISH, but she better know more than just LOTR, as it won't help. *wink*

In the meantime, let's just head over to that last mansion. OK then. You go to the last mansion, which is in the center of one side of the Avenue, next to the bell tower and across from the Lord of Forests' mansion. This mansion seems to be devoted to fighting, sparring and other physical pursuits, and you hear what sounds like some kind of wrestling match going on inside.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 618
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it struck me as being somewhat Silmarillion-esque, although I haven't read that book. It should be in our house here, somewhere.

Check out the fight inside, if possible.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 49
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it struck me as being somewhat Silmarillion-esque, although I haven't read that book. It should be in our house here, somewhere. Very Silmarillion-esque, I should say! You're close to finding out where you are, certainly.

You go into the mansion and check out the fight. Two of the People...a male and female...are in wrestling garb, fighting each other quite handily. The female seems to be winning easily, though the male is laughing even as he loses. He doesn't seem to be particularly attracted to pain; he just seems to laugh no matter what. You might need to throw something to get their attention, they're quite busy.

Check out the fight inside, if possible
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 619
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 4:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chunk a golden apple to get their attention.

The "lords and ladies" are Ainur, or "Holy Ones", and more specifically, the Valar, or powers of the earth. They dwell in Valinor, and the tall mountain is Taniquetil, the tallest of the Pelori, which are the tallest mountains on earth. The leader of the Valar, Manwe, makes his home there. In Valinor they are protected against the dark powers of Melkor. Is this right?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 50
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chunk a golden apple to get their attention. You do so. The Lady catches it, having to leave off pummeling her husband to do so. She gives it a glance and a grin flickers over her face. "Oh, won't Varda and Vana be jealous when they see this!" she exclaims. The Lord, for once, stops laughing, and all eyes turn to you as the Lady vanishes from sight. Perhaps that apple wasn't such a good idea, although it was, for the record, the only thing that would have worked...?

The "lords and ladies" are Ainur, or "Holy Ones", and more specifically, the Valar, or powers of the earth. They dwell in Valinor, and the tall mountain is Taniquetil, the tallest of the Pelori, which are the tallest mountains on earth. The leader of the Valar, Manwe, makes his home there. In Valinor they are protected against the dark powers of Melkor. Is this right?

(This is quite right, ISH, and I salute you! The Ainur are divided between the lords and ladies, the Valar, and their servants, the Maiar. I will tell you then that this is Valmar, the City of the Powers in its literal English translation, in the realm of Valinor. The Quendi, or Elves, are in Eldamas, Elf-town, adjacent to Valmar in the orientation I have given from my friend's map. This helps you a great deal, as you now know where you are, but it does not solve your quest for you. *grin*)
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 620
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 5:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cool! Yeah, still can't imagine what the great powers of the earth might have in store for a clueless eleven-year old girl. =)

To those present: "Um, excuse me, I think I dropped my golden apple. Has anyone seen it?"
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 51
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 5:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cool! Yeah, still can't imagine what the great powers of the earth might have in store for a clueless eleven-year old girl. =) Well, she doesn't belong to Tolkien's world precisely. You might want to focus on some of the other things she's carrying...hmm...

To those present: "Um, excuse me, I think I dropped my golden apple. Has anyone seen it?" The Lord of the mansion looks at you. He is tall and muscular, a warrior though he bears no weapons. His hair and beard are fair, and his eyes are full of the light of battle though he is smiling. "My Lady has run off with it," he says. "She believes it was meant for the fairest of our sisters, and wishes to show it to her friend Vana and our Queen, Lady Varda." He shrugs at that.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 621
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 5:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"oh, ok, who are you?"
"who is the fairest of them all?"
Afterward, go back to the first mansion where Herald was. Is his sister still there?

the only thing she came here with is a robe and a picnic basket, so Little Red Riding Hood is all I got! =)
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 52
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 5:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"oh, ok, who are you?""Have you not guessed, my Child?" He seems very amused at that. He's almost always laughing. Cheeky Vala, he is.
"who is the fairest of them all?" "I would fare ill with my beloved Spouse if I were to choose other than her, I am afraid," he says, "though our Queen is most radiant and Vana is quite beautiful."
Afterward, go back to the first mansion where Herald was. Is his sister still there? You do that. She is still there, along with her brother. "You have figured out who our Lord is," the Herald says. "Do you not know who I am, yet?" It will, perhaps, not help you to discover your quest, but it would be helpful to know who you are addressing.

the only thing she came here with is a robe and a picnic basket, so Little Red Riding Hood is all I got! =)oh come on, ISH, you can do better than that! lol, perhaps re-visiting a few more mansions will help clarify matters...the girl is fictional, but not from European folklore my friend...try thinking along the lines of more recent literature. I'd give you the LTPF list of centuries, but you've got the knowledge at hand already...
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 4875
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask the Herald if it's possible to reach the place where Manwe lives.

Could you please recap the contents of the basket?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 53
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask the Herald if it's possible to reach the place where Manwe lives. The Herald shakes his head. "Not for you, Child; not yet.

Could you please recap the contents of the basket?RECAP OF BASKET: Large straw picnic basket, containing: Pouch of money (1 gold coin, 17 silver coins, 29 bronze coins that never run out no matter how much you use them. A handful of American coins you haven't tried to do anything with yet. Description runs like so: The gold and silver each have a Tree on the reverse; the Sun is shown on the obverse of the gold and the full Moon on the obverse of the silver. The bronze coin has a hammer on the reverse and an anvil on the obverse. The American coins are: a Morgan Dollar, two Barber quarters, three Barber dimes, five Liberty Head nickels, and eight Indian Head pennies. All are newly-minted, bright and shiny, and display their minted date as 1900. You have half a meat sandwich and a partially empty bottle of fresh water from the market. A ragged pair of leather slippers you were wearing, though now you are wearing boots. A ball of golden thread from the Weaver.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 622
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use the golden thread to travel through the maze.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 54
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use the golden thread to travel through the maze.

Ah, well done ISH!
You enter the maze, trailing the golden thread behind you. It's not going to tell you which way to go, but at least it'll help you get back. The way seems pretty straightforward, until you finally come to a fork; left, straight, and right.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 623
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Left!
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 55
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Left!
You take the left hand path, and before too long, come to a dead end. Well, that wasn't very useful. Stupid left path.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 624
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess its better than if it came to some other fork. Gives me less options!

Go back, then go left at the fork (would have been straight earlier).
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 56
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess its better than if it came to some other fork. Gives me less options!

Go back, then go left at the fork (would have been straight earlier).
(Would I do that to you?) You go back and take the straight path, stopping at the edge of a chasm opening in the ground. Peering down into it, you notice that you can't see any bottom. It doesn't seem to have a bridge. Who put that there?!?!
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 625
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Explore it a bit. Is there any way around? Or...in? Throw in a larger coin and listen.
If nothing of particular interest, go back and go left once more (the original right).
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 57
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Explore it a bit. Is there any way around? Or...in? Throw in a larger coin and listen.
If nothing of particular interest, go back and go left once more (the original right).

Well, there's no way around it, or over it, unless you want to risk using your thread as a bridge. It'd be the equivalent of walking on spiderwebs, I warn you. You throw in your American dollar. You think that after a very long time, you might have heard a faint splash, and a bark...but it might be your imagination. Anyway, there's no way of doing anything with that chasm right now, so you head back and take the right fork. You're not obstructed, and continue on until you end up at another three-forked intersection. Where now?
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 626
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Left! (Always my favorite).
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 58
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Left! (Always my favorite).Sorry in advance, ISH, I don't think left is right. LOL
You go left, and end up back at the chasm. I don't think you're meant to be there, so maybe you should try something else?
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 627
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps straight!
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 59
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps straight!
Straight on, then! Well, once you get back to the crossroads you came from, that is. You take that path, and before long, strike a dead end. This doesn't look promising.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 628
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So right is right, I suppose.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 60
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So right is right, I suppose.
(Well, if left isn't...) You go back and get to the right fork. You take that, and after walking for a while down this path, find a Sphinx in your way. Now, that's odd. She stares down at you, a serene smile on her face. "You are very near to the center. If you can solve my riddle, I will let you pass." Sitting back on her haunches, she recites,
"Son of a Queen, yet no Prince this one;
Shame of the King, who locked him away.
Imprisoned by prisoners, father and son,
Find out his name, and tell me, I pray."
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 629
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hm, still thinking on it, but can I ask if it is Tolkien-related? Or fiction-literature-related?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 61
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sphinx is mythological, as is the subject of her riddle. Hints: You're in a maze with a ball of golden thread to show you the way out. *grin* So not Tolkien-related, no, although he was a Professor so I'm sure he knew this one. The riddle is FMOI, but the subject is not.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 630
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Say "Theseus", although that doesn't seem to fit.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 63
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're in the right forest...Who was the father of Theseus' wife?
"Theseus?" you guess. The Sphinx shakes her head. "No, I am afraid not. However, my Masters are keen to meet you, and so I am not permitted to eat you. You may try again."
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 631
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Zeus?"
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 64
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Much colder. I'll tell you that the god involved was Poseidon, though he wasn't the father of Theseus' (relevant) wife, or of the "prince" (who was more or less Theseus' wife's half-brother, I suppose)

The Sphinx blinks in surprise at that. "No, not Zeus," she replies.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 632
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it didn't sound right, but I was thinking Theseus' wife was Helen, and her father was Zeus, so I went with it.

I'll look further into this. =)
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 65
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He was married more than once. *wink* Remember where you are...
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 4893
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Minos? Minotaur?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 68
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And Balin wins the day!
"The Minotaur?" you ask. Inclining her head, the Sphinx steps aside. "I do hope you have something to feed him," she says nonchalantly as she paces away. "I have no assurance that our Masters forbade him from eating you..."
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 633
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Awesome! I have never heard (or perhaps don't remember) the actual origin of the minotaur. Well go on in!
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 4899
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If we do happen to encounter the Minotaur, toss him the meat sandwich.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 69
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Minotaur was the result of a...dalliance, shall we say, between King Minos' Queen, and a snow-white bull that had been promised as a sacrifice to Poseidon. The sacrifice was reneged on and she was cursed to fall madly in love with the bull as a result. After secreting herself inside a wooden cow to make herself attractive to the bull, and succeeding, she gave birth to the monstrous Minotaur. Minos, not liking the fact that his wife's ill-gotten offspring had a taste for man-flesh, asked the inventor Daedalus and his son Icarus to come to Crete, and Daedalus built the Labyrinth to entrap the Minotaur for eternity. It can't find the way out, but you can...the same way Theseus did, with a ball of gold thread.

Indeed, you do not go very far before encountering the literally bull-headed Man known as the Minotaur. You throw him the meat sandwich, which he takes before barrelling off in the other direction. Continuing on your way, you find the hedges suddenly open up into a square...you've reached the center at last, and there, at a table set for two, are two People having tea together.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 4904
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Talk to the People having tea. Ask them who they are, what's going on, and if they need anything?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 70
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Talk to the People having tea. Ask them who they are, what's going on, and if they need anything?

You go up to them. They are both clearly male, and related. The one to your left has dark hair, so black as to be nearly blue, and slate-grey eyes, though they seem to have a purplish light to them as well. He is dressed in a black velvet robe and wears a circlet of silver, set with black opals. His companion has brown hair, nearly black, and hazel eyes. His robe is white, and he is crowned with a circlet of gold set with moonstones.

When you ask who they are, the white-robed one answers first. "I am Lord Irmo, Child, master of Dreams. This is my brother Námo, Lord of the Dead. You have already met our beloved wives, I believe. Certainly my brother's wife gave you that." He nods to the golden thread.
"We do not need anything, Child, but I daresay you do," Lord Námo murmurs, his steady amaranthine gaze never leaving you.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 634
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And what is it that I need? And do you always hang out in mazes?
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 4906
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask if they have anything to give us. Maybe some tea...?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 71
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And what is it that I need? And do you always hang out in mazes? This makes them chuckle softly. "For a start, dearest Child, perhaps our brother Aulë could help you find something else to wear," Irmo suggests, glancing at the boots. Tou do have those old slippers...it might be nice if they could be repaired.

Ask if they have anything to give us. Maybe some tea...?"Oh, certainly, certainly, if you wish it," Námo says, gesturing slightly. A third teacup appears on the table and he pours some of the herbal tea they are drinking into the cup. It's white daisy tea, Irmo's favorite.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 4907
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take the cup of tea. Have a sip. Then take it along with you, if possible - you never know.

Ask them where Aule is, and who he is.

Head out of the maze via the gold thread, then all the way over to where we got the boots. Ask the guy there if he's Aule, and if he can repair the slippers.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 635
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, we can find out if the weaver can make me a new robe, green perhaps, maybe with "Hollister" written on it. Or maybe not that last part.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 72
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take the cup of tea. Have a sip. Then take it along with you, if possible - you never know.You do. The tea's very refreshing. Lord Irmo pours some into a small bottle for you to take along when you express interest in it.

Ask them where Aule is, and who he is."Where can I find Aule? Who is he?" you ask. They tell you that he is the Worldsmith and can be found dwelling with his Spouse Yavanna, the Earth-Queen (that is, he lives in the Treehouse with the Forge)

Head out of the maze via the gold thread, then all the way over to where we got the boots. Ask the guy there if he's Aule, and if he can repair the slippers.As you surmised without their help, this is the place to be. You go back to the place where you got the boots, and there is a Person there; tall and muscular, much like you'd expect a smith to be. He's dressed in golden-yellow, his chestnut-brown hair tied back and his eyes, which match his hair, twinkling as he greets you. "Come in, Child, come in. I hear you seek me, daughter? I am Lord Aulë."
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 73
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, we can find out if the weaver can make me a new robe, green perhaps, maybe with "Hollister" written on it. Or maybe not that last part.

You ask Lord Aule if he can repair the slippers. He says he can indeed and he will do that for you at no charge. You leave them with him and go back to the weaver. She provides you with a new garment she has already made for you; a blue-and-white-checked dress.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 636
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...Am I Dorothy?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 74
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, well done, ISH!!! *big grin*
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 75
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This puzzle isn't quite solved yet though!
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 637
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, because apparently Toto jumped down a giant chasm. Or maybe that's Cereberus. Either way, bad news. Well, I guess let's find the nearest changing room and get into my new dress!

And pick up the shoes while we're at it (assuming he's lightning fast).
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 76
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, because apparently Toto jumped down a giant chasm. Or maybe that's Cereberus.I couldn't stop laughing for ages, ISH, and it's all your fault!

Either way, bad news. Well, I guess let's find the nearest changing room and get into my new dress! No need. As soon as you think the thought, you've changed into your new dress. The Weaver, Lady Vaire, smiles mysteriously at you.

And pick up the shoes while we're at it (assuming he's lightning fast).Of course he is, he's Lord Aule.You go back to the forge and find Lord Aule putting the finishing touches on a pair of silver slippers. He gives them to you.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 638
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They're not ruby? I'm never getting home! Still, this place beats Kansas any day.

Wear those slippers. Tap the heels, just in case.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 77
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They're not ruby? I'm never getting home! Still, this place beats Kansas any day.Please don't tell me you're one of those who didn't know there was a book first...*facepalm* Oh, ISH...The slippers were silver in L. Frank Baum's book. MGM thought ruby was cooler, that's all. Incidentally, the American coins, minted in 1900 and all new and shiny, were meant to put people on this path...that's where and when the book came out.

Wear those slippers. Tap the heels, just in case.You put the boots in your basket and wear the slippers. You tap the heels together, but this avails you nothing except a bemused look from Aule.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 4911
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now all we need is Professor Marvel's coat - that would be awesome. I assume you know the story behind it?

Anything happen if you say "There's no place like home" while tapping the heels?
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 639
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haha, I knew about the books! I know about the political/economical symbolism, and I know that if this girl is eleven, it sure isn't Judy Garland! But I've never read them, so I didn't know about the silver.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 78
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now all we need is Professor Marvel's coat - that would be awesome. I assume you know the story behind it?
LOL! I know the story behind the coat. But the coat is irrelevant for the purposes of this puzzle...although maybe I'll let Manwe wear it. That would be most awesome!

Anything happen if you say "There's no place like home" while tapping the heels?

You do that, but nothing happens in the least. You think you may be OTWT...
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 4920
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Offer everyone the tea bottle. Also the water bottle.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 79
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Offer everyone the tea bottle. Also the water bottle.
Everyone?! Do you realize how many "everyone" is? LOL! All right, then...

You go around to offer everyone the tea and water. When you get back to Lord Namo and Lady Vaire's mansion, Vaire greets you again, accepting her ball of golden thread back. She suggests you keep a tight hold on those bottles...you'll need them. "Take the West Road, Child," she directs you. "You may find your answers in my Spouse's realm."
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 640
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take the west road!
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 80
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take the west road!

All right then. You head down to the West Road, and continue on your way. The road branches off southwest after a long while. You stop and look down that way, finding a strong pull to go there. You think you may hear barking from that direction...
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 641
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 3:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look out! That's where Cereberus is! But take a look, just in case it's only a Scottish Terrier.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 4930
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 3:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or is it Toto down there?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 81
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 4:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ISH: Look out! That's where Cereberus is! But take a look, just in case it's only a Scottish Terrier.

You cautiously make your way down the path. You see what appears to be a door built into the side of a hill. The door is made of dark wood, highly polished. The barking is coming from behind it. It's much too friendly-sounding to be Cereberus. The door swings open of its own accord and a small black Scottish Terrier bounds out, looking rather relieved to see you. He pulls on your dress, indicating you should go into the dimly lit hall.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 642
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 4:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, why not? Let's go in.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 82
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 6:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, why not? Let's go in.

Sounds good to me, ISH!
You enter the hall. The walls are covered with tapestries depicting events past, present, and possibly even future...It's a quiet place. The hall is lined with nondescript doors. You get the feeling you shouldn't try opening them. As the hall widens out into a proper room, you see a fountain gracing the center of it. It's got a statue of Lord Namo in the center, hand outstretched, with a butterfly perching on his fingertips. On the opposite side of the room are double doors, which are closed.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 4935
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look in the fountain. Toss a coin into the fountain, wishing you were back home. If it doesn't work here, try it back at the bell tower fountain.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 83
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look in the fountain. Toss a coin into the fountain, wishing you were back home. If it doesn't work here, try it back at the bell tower fountain. I don't think that's going to work, Balin, but it's a valiant try. *grin* You and ISH are very persistent.
You toss one of your silver coins into the fountain, wishing you were home. It flies back out at you. Sighing, you turn to leave the Hall and return to the fountain, but find your way blocked by Lord Namo. "Nay, best beloved," he says gently, "your way lies through here."
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 643
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Open the double doors in the back and go through.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 84
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Open the double doors in the back and go through.
You start toward them, but Lord Namo blocks your path. "Art thou ready, Child of Eru?" he intones. "Hast thou learned the purpose of thy quest, and dost thou deem it finished?"
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 644
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Well, I've got my slippers, my dress, and my Toto, and I need to get home by supper-time, but I still wonder at the full purpose of the quest, why I was willed here, except perhaps to educate me in some particular works of literature."
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 4942
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

IDK...to learn how to understand Ye Olde Englishe?

Say "Yes," in whatever fancy Ye Olde Englishe tone you can.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 645
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

haha
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 85
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*snort* You two are going to be the death of me, guys...funny I should say that as we're hanging out in Mandos' Halls...good one Balin, my friend Emma calls it "the ye Olde Englishe-thing" lol, and she's British!

"It is thy will to go home? Very well," Lord Namo intones, searching your eyes. "I believe thou'rt ready." He opens the double doors and leads you through to a dark tunnel. A black river flows at your feet, and you see a boat with a swan's head prow bobbing gently on it. "Get in the boat, Child. Thou and I shall meet again soon enough." Toto bounds into the boat, shaking water off his coat.
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 646
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Toto's a brave little guy. Follow that dog!
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 86
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your wish is my command, ISH! *grin*
You get into the boat after Toto. As the boat sails down the river, you fall into a restless slumber. The ship sails through a wall of flames, though they do not burn you; you only feel heat and a gentle tickling sensation. On the other side, you see a white light, then all fades to black. When your eyes open, you are back on the Kansas prairie, Toto beside you, and the farmhouse just ahead! It's so good to be home!
***SPOILER***
As Balin and ISH correctly deduced, I dropped Dorothy Gale (book version) into Tolkien's world...strictly speaking into Valinor, and even more specifically into Valmar, the "City of the Powers", as envisioned by my friend and mentor Fiondil. His lovely stories can be found here: http://www.storiesofarda.com/author.asp?authID=1787 on Stories of Arda. You guys made some great progress, and some was unexpected! A couple connections that ran unmade: The American 1900 coins were to pinpoint "The Wizard Of Oz"'s publication date and place of origin. The "MOUS" was an unnecessary, but fun, nod to "The Princess Bride", one of my favorite films. I had a lot of fun with this! I hope you did too! *grin*
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
New member
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 647
Registered: 5-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Awesome! That was a lot of fun! I'm also excited that I was able to be around for the beginning AND end. Well-made adventure!

I was wondering if the golden apple throwing thing had any significance? I couldn't figure out if that served a particular purpose.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 87
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, that. Haha, not really. It was a nod to the Apple of Discord in Greek mythology, but I pretty much just threw that in to see if anyone would notice, lol. Thanks so much for staying around, ISH!!!
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 88
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and I forgot...if no one noticed the title, it was a reference to "Absolute power corrupts absolutely," LOL.
Balin (Balin)
New member
Username: Balin

Post Number: 4958
Registered: 4-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caught the MOUS reference - unfortunately, there were another 20 or so posts after it, so I couldn't come up with a witty quote, but I did laugh for about ten minutes straight. =)

Great adventure - hope you can do another one soon!
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
New member
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 89
Registered: 9-2010
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad to make you laugh, Balin. Thanks for sticking with me!!! Next one'll be up in a second! My first scrund!!!!!!!

Add Your Message Here
Post:
Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: