[Balin] Procrastinators of the world,... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2010 » [Balin] Procrastinators of the world, unite...tomorrow « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 4888
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If Irwin hadn't procrastinated, Jessica would be dead, and Kristoph would be alive.

Irwin: HAM
Jessica: HAF
Kristoph: HAM
And this is FMOI
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quarters (as in American money) involved? (Just throwing this out there)
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Username: Ixoye724

Post Number: 2492
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So can we say that since Irwin DID procrastinate, Jessica is alive? Kristoph is dead? Just trying to clarify, you can never assume...

If Irwin HAD procrastinated, would Kristoph be alive? Would Jessica be dead?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 4894
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quarters (as in American money) involved? (Just throwing this out there) No

So can we say that since Irwin DID procrastinate, Jessica is alive? Kristoph is dead? Just trying to clarify, you can never assume... Correct

If Irwin HAD procrastinated, would Kristoph be alive? Would Jessica be dead? Well, he did procrastinate, and because of that, Kristoph is dead, and Jessica is alive. So, no to both.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2494
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it an either/or? Was it inevitable that either Kristoph or Jessica was going to die? Did Irwin directly save Jessica's life? Did he directly cause Kristoph's death? If so, by murder? Negligence? Accident?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 4898
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it an either/or? Yesish Was it inevitable that either Kristoph or Jessica was going to die? Yesish Did Irwin directly save Jessica's life? Yes! Did he directly cause Kristoph's death? And yes again! If so, by murder? Yope - I don't think this would be considered murder, but he did directly and intentionally kill Kristoph. Negligence? Accident? Neither
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2496
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Irwin procrastinate because he was trying to decide which person to save, either Kristoph or Jessica? Did he realize he had the power to save Jessica? Did he realize that he could cause Kristoph's death?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 4901
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Irwin procrastinate because he was trying to decide which person to save, either Kristoph or Jessica? No Did he realize he had the power to save Jessica? Yes Did he realize that he could cause Kristoph's death? Yes
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 4902
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BLOOPER: The two Yesish-es should be Yopes.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 4903
Posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And another BLOOPER: The answer to the first question in the last post should be No, FA
Whirligig (Whirligig)
Username: Whirligig

Post Number: 302
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So Irwin didn't cause Kristoph's death? But he realized that Kristoph would die?

Are any of these people related? I and J? K and J? K and I? If so, parent/child? Spouses? Boyfriend/girlfriend? Past spouses? Stepchild? Uncle/aunt and nephew/niece? Siblings?

If Irwin didn't cause Kristoph's death, did Jessica?

Are any other people relevant?

Did Irwin procrastinate because he knew it would save Jessica? Kill Kristoph?

Was Irwin going to kill Jessica? Was Kristoph?

How many deaths that occurred were suicides? Murders? Accidents? Ditto if Irwin had not procrastinated.

Was the thing Irwin put off directly related to the death of one of the three? Or was it something else? For instance, was he going to do the laundry, but he saw Jessica being strangled, so he put off the laundry and saved Jessica?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 4910
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So Irwin didn't cause Kristoph's death? No - he did. But he realized that Kristoph would die? See previous

Are any of these people related? I and J? K and J? K and I? None of them If so, parent/child? Spouses? Boyfriend/girlfriend? Past spouses? Stepchild? Uncle/aunt and nephew/niece? Siblings?

If Irwin didn't cause Kristoph's death, did Jessica? See above - no

Are any other people relevant? No

Did Irwin procrastinate because he knew it would save Jessica? Kill Kristoph? Neither, FA

Was Irwin going to kill Jessica? No Was Kristoph? YES. Excellent q!

How many deaths that occurred were suicides? Murders? Well, Kristoph's death was -ish a murder; I think it would be considered justifiable homicide. Accidents? Ditto if Irwin had not procrastinated. If Irwin had not procrastinated, Jessica would have been murdered.

Was the thing Irwin put off directly related to the death of one of the three? Noish to Yope Or was it something else? For instance, was he going to do the laundry, but he saw Jessica being strangled, so he put off the laundry and saved Jessica? Noish
Whirligig (Whirligig)
Username: Whirligig

Post Number: 303
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So Irwin killed Kristoph to prevent him from killing Jessica? Is any kind of love relevant here?

Would Kristoph have killed Irwin?

Besides the I/J/K progression, is there any reason why they have those names?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 4916
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So Irwin killed Kristoph to prevent him from killing Jessica? Yes Is any kind of love relevant here? Yes, and a BLOOPER: Jessica and Kristoph used to be BF/GF (before the events of the story).

Would Kristoph have killed Irwin? No

Besides the I/J/K progression, is there any reason why they have those names? No, and I didn't even notice the I/J/K possession. Kristoph is named after Kristoph Gavin in Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney solely because he's the bad guy, but the other two are names I just picked randomely.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 4917
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And of course "possession" should read "progression" in that last sentence. Good think I'm not taking any English classes this semester.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2501
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was a vehicle involved in Kristoph's death?
Did Irwin somehow intervene between K and J?
Were K and J arguing at any time?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 4937
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was a vehicle involved in Kristoph's death? No
Did Irwin somehow intervene between K and J? Yesish
Were K and J arguing at any time? Yesish to Yope
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2504
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a 4th person involved in any way?
If Jessica had died, would it have been from the same cause as what led to Kristoph's death?
Did Kristoph's death occur indoors? Or outdoors?
In a public place?

Which of these best describes the situation prior to K's death -

J and K were alone, then I joined them
J and I were alone, then K joined them
K and I were along, then J joined them
All 3 met up in the same place at the same time

J and K had once dated, or been BF/GF...did I know about this relationship? Did J and K's relationship end badly? Were I and J dating, or in a relationship when I saved J's life?

Possible situation - J and K have broken up, K is sour and jealous, K and I start dating, J and I are together somewhere and K shows up and attempts to kill J in a rage of jealousy - any of this accurate?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 4940
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a 4th person involved in any way? No
If Jessica had died, would it have been from the same cause as what led to Kristoph's death? No
Did Kristoph's death occur indoors? Or outdoors? This
In a public place? This too

Which of these best describes the situation prior to K's death -

J and K were alone, then I joined them This, tiny ish
J and I were alone, then K joined them
K and I were along, then J joined them
All 3 met up in the same place at the same time

J and K had once dated, or been BF/GF...did I know about this relationship? No, and neither did Irwin. (Bad pun) Did J and K's relationship end badly? Yes Were I and J dating, or in a relationship when I saved J's life? No

Possible situation - J and K have broken up, Correct K is sour and jealous, Correct K and I start dating, I assume you mean J and I, but in any case, this part is wrong J and I are together somewhere Wrong, but... and K shows up and attempts to kill J in a rage of jealousy ...this is correct. - any of this accurate?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2509
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was K holding a weapon at any time? Threatening to use his hands in a violent way?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 4949
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was K holding a weapon at any time? Yes Threatening to use his hands in a violent way? In that they were holding the weapon, yes.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2510
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the weapon a knife? Gun? Lead pipe? Something else?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 4952
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the weapon a knife? This Gun? Lead pipe? Something else? So none of these (but you did make me laugh with the lead pipe =) )
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2513
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did K approach J with the knife in view?
Or did he approach her and then show the knife?
Did he verbally threaten J, or announce his intent to kill her?
Did J say something that cause K to re-think his decision to kill her?
And was Irwin present during this? Was Irwin just a bystander who performed a "Good Samaritan" act?
Or...did Irwin not do anything at all, and just simply watch as K died instead of J?
Did Irwin ever perform any significant action?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 4955
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did K approach J with the knife in view? No, but...
Or did he approach her and then show the knife? ...yes.
Did he verbally threaten J, or announce his intent to kill her? Both
Did J say something that cause K to re-think his decision to kill her? No
And was Irwin present during this? Yes Was Irwin just a bystander who performed a "Good Samaritan" act? Yes
Or...did Irwin not do anything at all, and just simply watch as K died instead of J? No
Did Irwin ever perform any significant action? Yes. Remember, he physically killed Kristoph.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2516
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did J make any attempt to defend herself?
Did Irwin wait to see if J would defend herself?
Did Irwin wait to see if someone else would lend aid?
Did K die as a result of being stabbed?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 4971
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did J make any attempt to defend herself? No...
Did Irwin wait to see if J would defend herself? No...
Did Irwin wait to see if someone else would lend aid? No...
Did K die as a result of being stabbed? No
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2519
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, does Irwin see K approach J? Is he aware that K intends to harm her? When K threatens J, does he know that Irwin is present?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 4982
Posted on Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, does Irwin see K approach J? Yes Is he aware that K intends to harm her? Not at first, but it soon becomes obvious. When K threatens J, does he know that Irwin is present? No
It_so_happened (It_so_happened)
Username: It_so_happened

Post Number: 648
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2010 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So they're in a public place?
Is K trying to hide the knife?
Does K actually end up attacking J with the knife?
Or is he prevented from doing so by I?
Does I kill K with a weapon?
With K's kkinfe?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5033
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2010 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So they're in a public place? Yes, but...
Is K trying to hide the knife? No
Does K actually end up attacking J with the knife? Yope
Or is he prevented from doing so by I? Yes
Does I kill K with a weapon? Well, an improvised weapon, but yes.
With K's kkinfe? No

Post Number: 651
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2010 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they indoors? Outdoors?
J and K thought they were alone?
Was it night? Day?
If I had not procrastinated, he would have not been there at that place and time to witness the attack?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5037
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2010 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they indoors? Outdoors? This
J and K thought they were alone? Kristoph certainly did.
Was it night? This - excellent q! Day?
If I had not procrastinated, he would have not been there at that place and time to witness the attack? And to prevent it, yes.

Post Number: 652
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2010 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I had not procrastinated, he would have been at that place at an earlier time of day?
Was he going somewhere?
Were J and K on a street or alley?
In a park or yard?
Outside a place of business?
In an apartment complex or campus?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5040
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2010 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I had not procrastinated, he would have been at that place at an earlier time of day? Yes
Was he going somewhere? Yes
Were J and K on a street or alley? Yes, a street...
In a park or yard?
Outside a place of business?
In an apartment complex or campus? ...here! They were on a college campus.

Post Number: 653
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2010 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, so...
J and K are on a street somewhere on a college campus.
K is upset at J because they broke up and whatever other drama might be associated with that.
I is on his way somewhere late because he procrastinated.
He sees K threatening J with a knife. So he does something to kill K.
All correct?
Is I on his way to turn in some homework late, or at the last minute?
Did he hit K with his car?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5045
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2010 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, so...
J and K are on a street somewhere on a college campus. Yes
K is upset at J because they broke up and whatever other drama might be associated with that. Yes
I is on his way somewhere late because he procrastinated. Yes
He sees K threatening J with a knife. So he does something to kill K. Yes
All correct? Yes
Is I on his way to turn in some homework late, or at the last minute? No, but OTRT
Did he hit K Yes with his car? No

Post Number: 655
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2010 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is I driving when he sees K?
Is he walking?
Is his late task related to a school assignment?
Does he hit K with a backpack full of schoolbooks (those can be enormously heavy)?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5049
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2010 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is I driving when he sees K? No
Is he walking? Yes
Is his late task related to a school assignment? Yesish
Does he hit K with a backpack full of schoolbooks (those can be enormously heavy)? Just one book, but yes, a heavy one.

And that's enough for the

**********SPOILER**********

Irwin is a college student with a bit of a lazy side. One night, he procrastinates studying for a test, so he takes his textbook for that class (as I imagine it, it was a Latin textbook, which is my heaviest at the moment) and goes to the library to study. After studying, Irwin is returning to his dorm, walking down an empty street, when he notices Kristoph forcing Jessica against a wall and holding a knife to her throat. (Jessica had broken up with Kristoph a short while before this, and Kristoph was extremely jealous and angry.) With no other option, Irwin hits Kristoph over the head with his textbook and kills him, saving Jessica's life. If Irwin had not procrastinated, he would have been in his dorm that night, and no one would have been around, sealing Jessica's fate.

Nice job, ISH, Ixoye, and everyone else.

Post Number: 656
Posted on Friday, September 24, 2010 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haha, are you trying to justify yourself here? ;)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5075
Posted on Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 3:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Funny... =)

Actually, this was inspired by an instance of my procrastination - I'd put off my Latin studying, so I brought my book to a coffee shop where one of the school's a cappella groups was about to perform, and studied before the show. As I was walking back, I thought, "What if..." and imagined the rest of the scenario.

Fortunately, I aced the Latin quiz =)

*DISCLAIMER: Side effects of procrastination may include sleeplessness, excessive stress, drowsiness, a drop in academic grades, and epic failure. Procrastination is not recommended for anyone over 21, under 21, or exactly 21. Before procrastinating, be sure to consult with someone with more sense than you do, which is pretty much everybody. Procrastination: when you're just too lazy to....eh, I can finish this later.*
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2530
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2010 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good puzzle! I guess if it was in fact a Latin Book that he used, Irwin could proclaim "Veni vidi vici"!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: