[Woodworm] Shopping list Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2010 » [Woodworm] Shopping list « Previous Next »

Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 2047
Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ben goes to the shops and buys a stick of celery, some custard powder, and a newspaper. When he gets home, he runs a bath. Can you explain?

On the silly side, but I couldn't resist.

Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 338
Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, I can't explain. Can you explain? lol. Is this a rulebreaker?

Assuming it's not...Ben: H/A/M?

Just one stick of celery? Why not any peanut butter and raisins, or ranch dressing?

What's custard powder?

Newspaper...hmmm...

May we have LTPF lists of: continents? countries? Centuries? Decades?

Anything important in the news?

A bath? For himself? For someone else? Is anyone else relevant? If so, H/A/M? H/A/F? LTPF list of numbers greater than zero?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2049
Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, I can't explain. Can you explain? indeed I can lol. Is this a rulebreaker? no

Assuming it's not...Ben: H/A/M? yes, a human adult male

Just one stick of celery? yes, just the one Why not any peanut butter and raisins, or ranch dressing? perhaps because Ben is from the UK, and these are very American things, I'd guess :-)

What's custard powder? a very British institution, especially for those of a certain vintage:

http://www.premierfoods.co.uk/our-brands/grocery/birds/

Newspaper...hmmm... indeed

May we have LTPF lists of: continents? countries? Centuries? Decades? England, at any time between 2000 and 2009. This may explain the custard powder and the absence of ranch dressing, PB and raisins.

Anything important in the news? something I read in a newspaper, but I'd hardly call it important news!

A bath? yes For himself? yes-ish, but not to bathe in For someone else? hmmm ... in a way, yes, but not to bathe in Is anyone else relevant? If so, H/A/M? H/A/F? LTPF list of numbers greater than zero? no-one else is there, but dozens of other people are relevant in a more indirect way.

Post Number: 339
Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

re: peanut butter, raisins and ranch dressing...yes, I suppose they are very American things, but I believe the British are missing out. Peanut butter and raisins are used with celery in the preparation of a snack I became familiar with in Girl Scouts called "Ants on a Log." You filled a celery stick with peanut butter and put the raisins on it, and it was meant to look like...well, ants on a log. It was very good. And ranch dressing is commonly used on salads and as a dip for vegetables, including but not limited to celery, over here. As you did for me, so shall I do for you:

http://www.homebakedmemories.com/images/Ants-on-a-log.jpg and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranch_dressing respectively.
I imagine this custard powder must be some sort of dip for the celery, or else I'm completely OTWT and have no idea what I've gotten into...
Eli (Eli)
Username: Eli

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any animals relevant?

Anything relevant about Ben? Education? Job? Family? Hobbies? Friends? Where he lives? where he works?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 5664
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is any sort of wordplay involved in this puzzle? Or punning?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 3846
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he bathing an object? An animal? A person? Is it dirty? Smelly?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2051
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I imagine this custard powder must be some sort of dip for the celery, or else I'm completely OTWT and have no idea what I've gotten into... Haha! Ants on a log! Priceless. And, if I may say so, unbelievably weird. But no, the celery is not going to be dipped in custard.

Any animals relevant? yes, you could say so

Anything relevant about Ben? yes Education? Job? this one Family? Hobbies? Friends? Where he lives? where he works? not really any of the others

Is any sort of wordplay involved in this puzzle? no Or punning? unusually for me, no

Is he bathing an object? yes-ish An animal? no A person? no Is it dirty? no Smelly? hehe, no

Post Number: 341
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another common filling for celery sticks, at least in my area, is cream cheese. But I'm too tired for any more guesses at the moment, as it's past midnight, so I'm going to sleep and catch this up in the morning. Yes, yes, I know it's already 8 something in the UK, but I have the disadvantage of being 8 hours behind you lot. (I wish there was some way to put this thing on local time.)
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 517
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Long shot in the dark: is Ben preparing food, "bathes" the celery to make a soup and animals are relevant because he is preparing, let's say, a chicken soup? Is there a new recipe in the newspaper?
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 2930
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Ben doing anything illegal? Is he conducting some sort of expirement? Is his profession relevant?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2052
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another common filling for celery sticks, at least in my area, is cream cheese. But I'm too tired for any more guesses at the moment, as it's past midnight, so I'm going to sleep and catch this up in the morning. Yes, yes, I know it's already 8 something in the UK, but I have the disadvantage of being 8 hours behind you lot. (I wish there was some way to put this thing on local time.) Yes, cream cheese is much commoner with celery in the UK. But it doesn't feature in the puzzle

Long shot in the dark: is Ben preparing food, no, he isn't "bathes" the celery to make a soup and the celery doesn't get bathed and animals are relevant because he is preparing, let's say, a chicken soup? no ... this would be a very amusing way to make chicken soup Is there a new recipe in the newspaper? another nice idea, but no

Is Ben doing anything illegal? no Is he conducting some sort of expirement? no Is his profession relevant? yes indeed
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5676
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is anything going to go in the bath? Is Ben? The celery? The custard powder? The newspaper? Is Ben going to make a LOT of custard?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2055
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is anything going to go in the bath? yes Is Ben? no The celery? no The custard powder? no The newspaper? yes! Is Ben going to make a LOT of custard? hehe, no
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5683
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Ben trying to soak the ink off the newspaper?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2058
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Ben trying to soak the ink off the newspaper? no
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Username: Ixoye724

Post Number: 2712
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Ben making papier mache?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Ben making papier mache? no, not this

Post Number: 344
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

newspaper boat?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2062
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

newspaper boat? no, not this either
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2719
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the intent to completely submerge the newspaper? Dip it briefly into the water then withdraw it? Soak it for a period of time?
Will the piece of celery be eaten? Used as a tool?
Same q for custard powder.
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2064
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the intent to completely submerge the newspaper? this ... Dip it briefly into the water then withdraw it? ...rather than this

Soak it for a period of time? this too
Will the piece of celery be eaten? not this but ... Used as a tool? this, for svv thereof

Same q for custard powder. yes, again used for some purpose, but not eaten

Post Number: 350
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought you said this puzzle was silly, not downright impossible Woodworm =P...What would anyone want with wet newspaper, celery, and custard powder?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2065
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought you said this puzzle was silly, not downright impossible Woodworm =P...What would anyone want with wet newspaper, celery, and custard powder? hehe, this is for me to know, and you to find out :~)
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 3265
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wrap the newspaper around the custard powder, plant the celery in it, and see if it will grow? Make a newspaper ball with custard powder filling, and hit it with a celery bat? Custard being a non-newtonian fluid relevant? Will the custard powder be made into custard? Will the celery be cut? Is eating relevant in any way? Could he just as well have soaked the newspaper in the sink? Or a bucket? Is this an artistic endeavor? Is the amount of custard powder used relevant? Is fire involved? Or electricity? Is it a prank?

Post Number: 353
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now I know I'm tired...having solved a puzzle, I mentioned I was bowing out of another one which was too difficult. I said "Woodworm's puzzle"...actually, first I said Wormwood, which was a slip of the fingers...and I meant BALIN's puzzle. *pokes self* The rulebreaker, not this one. Although this one's difficult, too...
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2066
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wrap the newspaper around the custard powder, plant the celery in it, and see if it will grow?
it may well grow, but this isn't what Ben is up to

Make a newspaper ball with custard powder filling, and hit it with a celery bat? well, it's silly, but maybe not that silly!

Custard being a non-newtonian fluid relevant? ooh, I never knew that custard was a non-newtonian fluid ... but no

Will the custard powder be made into custard? no Will the celery be cut? no Is eating relevant in any way? no, good q Could he just as well have soaked the newspaper in the sink? yes Or a bucket? yes Is this an artistic endeavor? no-ish Is the amount of custard powder used relevant? not especially: a packet of Bird's will do just fine Is fire involved? no Or electricity? no Is it a prank? no, but the mind boggles

actually, first I said Wormwood hehe, wormwood is my evil twin: blame him for the puzzles about the book of Revelation :-)

Post Number: 355
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'The mind boggles' is one of my writing mentor's favorite phrases :-D...I liked the idea of the newspaper/custard ball and celery bat. Oh well, lol.

So the idea is to get the newspaper wet. Is the newspaper whole when he puts it in (he hasn't torn it, cut it, shredded it, etc. first)and when he removes it (if he removes it) other than being wet? I mean, it'd be a soggy mess but it's not in pieces?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2067
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the idea is to get the newspaper wet. yes Is the newspaper whole when he puts it in (he hasn't torn it, cut it, shredded it, etc. first) my source isn't clear on this detail, but let's assume it goes in whole and when he removes it (if he removes it) other than being wet? it doesn't matter what condition it's in when he removes it I mean, it'd be a soggy mess but it's not in pieces? yes, I assume it's still recognisably a wet newspaper rather than bits of pulp
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 527
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This puzzle has no tuba or angels - yet -- but is sure a hard one. Now then...

Is he conducting an experiment? Does he do this only on this specific occasion, or is he just a regular guy like me or you, who likes to soak newspapers every now and then?

Is he a doctor? a lawyer? an engineer? a priest? a politician? Unemployed?

Instead of the celery, could he have used a carrot? Something metalic?

Any newspaper will be good for Ben, or only a specific one? A normal custard will do? Eggs (or lack thereof) relevant?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2068
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This puzzle has no tuba or angels - yet -- hehe, and not at all, you'll be pleased to know but is sure a hard one. Now then...

Is he conducting an experiment? no Does he do this only on this specific occasion, this ... or is he just a regular guy like me or you, who likes to soak newspapers every now and then? ... though he may conceivably do this more than once

Is he a doctor? no a lawyer? no an engineer? no a priest? performing the famous Custard Rite? no a politician? no Unemployed? no

Instead of the celery, could he have used a carrot? possibly, but he prefers celery Something metalic? likewise, but much less likely

Any newspaper will be good for Ben, or only a specific one? any will be fine A normal custard will do? yes Eggs (or lack thereof) relevant? good thinking: custard powder is usually egg-free, but this isn't relevant here

Post Number: 357
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, apparently the Custard Rite isn't famous over here, but I'll presume that was a joke :-p lol

So you read this in the newspaper...was it a news story? An editorial? Comics pages relevant? Advertisements? Job listings? (*requests LTPF list of things found in UK newspapers*) (I wouldn't ask, except I'm not sure what to be looking for)
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2069
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, apparently the Custard Rite isn't famous over here, but I'll presume that was a joke :-p lol well, at my college we used to have a Custard Vote at the end of term. Do you have these in the US?

So you read this in the newspaper...yes, in a dry newspaper was it a news story? sort of: it was a small article in a supplement, not a major news item An editorial? no Comics pages relevant? no! anyone would imagine that celery and custard were frivolous in some way ;-)

Advertisements? no Job listings? (*requests LTPF list of things found in UK newspapers*) (I wouldn't ask, except I'm not sure what to be looking for) just a small curiosity column: see above

Post Number: 359
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As far as I know, the only thing custard is good for here in the US is pie, and not a lot of people in my area, at least, eat it. I've never had it...
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 528
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could this work in 1999? In 2010? I dont't remember if this has been asked, but the 'bath' is water, or some other liquid? Relevant the liquid's temperature?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2070
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could this work in 1999? yes In 2010? yes I dont't remember if this has been asked, but the 'bath' is water, or some other liquid? it is water Relevant the liquid's temperature? not really: assume it's room temperature
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 530
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You said that this could have happened in "England, at any time between 2000 and 2009" so I had to check the years

Only a newspaper could do it, or any other piece of paper? Do you need for this: a cup of water? or more like a pool? Do you need more that one page from the newspaper? Or maybe even less than one?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2071
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You said that this could have happened in "England, at any time between 2000 and 2009" so I had to check the years well, the exact scenario could only have been 2000-09, but the same idea could apply to other dates, times and places

Only a newspaper could do it, or any other piece of paper? Ben thought a newspaper was best, perhaps because of its size Do you need for this: a cup of water? or more like a pool? it would work with a bowl, basin, bucket, or pool. maybe not with a cup. Do you need more that one page from the newspaper? yes Or maybe even less than one? no: one wouldn't work, nor would a small piece of paper
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2726
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When the newspaper is removed from the water, is it wrapped around something? Put into something? Laid flat? Allowed to dry out? Immediately put to use in some way?

If Ben could have found a wooden dowel with the same length and thickness as the piece of celery, could he have used that?
If not, is it because the dowel is harder to snap, or break? Because the dowel isn't green? Because the dowel isn't "u-shaped" when viewed from the side (has a groove down the center)? Because the dowel isn't edible?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5703
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he intending to drink something through the celery stalk? Is he planning a protest? A satire?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2073
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When the newspaper is removed from the water, is it wrapped around something? no Put into something? yes, but this may mislead horribly! Laid flat? no Allowed to dry out? no Immediately put to use in some way? no

If Ben could have found a wooden dowel with the same length and thickness as the piece of celery, could he have used that? probably not, actually

If not, is it because the dowel is harder to snap, or break? this is nearest but not quite the reason Because the dowel isn't green? no: colour is irrelevant Because the dowel isn't "u-shaped" when viewed from the side (has a groove down the center)? hmmm ... I think this is irrelevant too, but I had to think about it! Because the dowel isn't edible? no ... but a vgq

Is he intending to drink something through the celery stalk? no, he isn't, but I'm liking the way this puzzle is bringing out the most creative ideas. You never know, when you set one, how they're going to evolve. Is he planning a protest? no A satire? no
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2733
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting comment on the 'creative ideas', coming from the host of a puzzle involving celery, newspaper and some kind of custard powder - it doesn't get much more creative than that!

Is the newspaper discarded (thrown away) when taken out of the water? Given to a person? Eaten? Fed to a person? Fed to an animal? Crumpled up? Squeezed?

Is it necessary to put the newspaper into a tub or other container that has a drain? Is something relevant done with the water into which the newspaper was placed?

Does the tub water come into contact with the custard powder? Are these two things mixed together?

Post Number: 363
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eating newspaper? Ick...what, flavored with custard powder and celery? That's disgusting...I hope that's not it!!!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5716
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the custard powder/water put into the newspaper? Is the newspaper wrung out? Is the custard powder wrung out in the newspaper?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2075
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting comment on the 'creative ideas', coming from the host of a puzzle involving celery, newspaper and some kind of custard powder - it doesn't get much more creative than that! hehe, if only this were from my own imagination! Ben is the one who deserves the credit. It's his real name, btw, and this is a completely true tale.

Is the newspaper discarded (thrown away) when taken out of the water? yes! that clears up the possible misleading Given to a person? Eaten? Fed to a person? Fed to an animal? Crumpled up? Squeezed? so, no to rest

Is it necessary to put the newspaper into a tub or other container that has a drain? no: just a receptacle of water will do fine Is something relevant done with the water into which the newspaper was placed? not really, no

Does the tub water come into contact with the custard powder? no Are these two things mixed together? no ... but you've narrowed it down

Post Number: 364
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the purpose of wetting the newspaper to draw the ink out? Is the celery dyed with the inky water somehow? I have no idea what this would have to do with custard powder, though...but something tells me the water would have ink in it and that's relevant somehow. I could be OTWT...
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2076
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eating newspaper? Ick...what, flavored with custard powder and celery? That's disgusting...I hope that's not it!!! rest assured ...

Is the custard powder/water put into the newspaper? nope Is the newspaper wrung out? no Is the custard powder wrung out in the newspaper? no
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5719
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When the newspaper is put in the water, is it soaked in it? Rested on top of the water? Is the custard powder placed on top of the newspaper? Is the celery ever cut up during the course of this?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2735
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So is the newspaper put into the water in order to change the properties of the water? To extract something from the newspaper so it will mix with the water? To change to color of the water?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2078
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When the newspaper is put in the water, is it soaked in it? yes Rested on top of the water? no Is the custard powder placed on top of the newspaper? no Is the celery ever cut up during the course of this? not cut up, no

So is the newspaper put into the water in order to change the properties of the water? no, not at all To extract something from the newspaper so it will mix with the water? not this To change to color of the water? and not this, either, I'm afraid
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5723
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the intent simply to make the newspaper wet? Is anything put into the newspaper? The celery? Is the newspaper soaked in the water for a relevant amount of time? For a long time? Only for a short while? Is it immediately thrown away after being removed?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2738
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is anything else put into, or added to the water while the newspaper is submerged?
If so, the celery? The powder? Something else?
Do Ben's actions involved any objects besides newspaper, water, custard powder and celery?
Are any other people involved?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2079
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Kaylee ... missed your questions:

is the purpose of wetting the newspaper to draw the ink out? no Is the celery dyed with the inky water somehow? no, but a neat idea: I remember that celery absorbs ink I have no idea what this would have to do with custard powder, though...but something tells me the water would have ink in it and that's relevant somehow. I could be OTWT... yes, you are ...
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2080
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the intent simply to make the newspaper wet? hmmm ... sort of, but there is a little more to it Is anything put into the newspaper? no The celery? no Is the newspaper soaked in the water for a relevant amount of time? not really For a long time? no: he probably didn't want it to melt into a dew, or a mushy pulp, or whatever Only for a short while? I'd say a minute or so would do the trick Is it immediately thrown away after being removed? yes but irrelevant

Is anything else put into, or added to the water while the newspaper is submerged? no
If so, the celery? The powder? Something else? so, N/A

Do Ben's actions involved any objects besides newspaper, water, custard powder and celery? nothing more that you need to solve the puzzle, no

Are any other people involved? only tangentially, and not in any significant way
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5729
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the newspaper soaked in order to change some quality of the water? Is anything done to the newspaper BEFORE putting it in the water? Using the custard powder? The celery?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2082
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the newspaper soaked in order to change some quality of the water? no Is anything done to the newspaper BEFORE putting it in the water? no Using the custard powder? The celery? no, I'm a frayed knot
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 534
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to make sure: by soaking the paper, is he preparing the water, rather than the paper? In other words, it's the water important now and the paper has no longer relevance?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2084
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to make sure: by soaking the paper, is he preparing the water, rather than the paper? no, not really In other words, it's the water important now and the paper has no longer relevance? no: neither is of greater importance, I'd say
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5734
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the celery ever combined with the custard?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2087
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the celery ever combined with the custard? no, never
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5738
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Ben trying to create something out of this?

Might a recap be in order?

Post Number: 369
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hope a recap will be forthcoming shortly, Balin...I'm lost...
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2089
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Ben trying to create something out of this? yes

Might a recap be in order? yes, of course

** RECAP **

Ben [his real name] is someone I recently read about in a newspaper/magazine.

One day, he buys a celery stick, a packet of custard powder, and a newspaper. He then soaks the newspaper in the bath, for a particular reason.

He doesn't eat the celery, or the custard powder. Nor does he even make custard. But he uses all three things.

The whole thing is connected with his profession.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5745
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is his profession related to repair? Plumbing? Electronics? Electricity? Food? Medicine? The law? Carpentry? Is he making a makeshift paste?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2090
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and animals are relevant in some way.
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2091
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is his profession related to repair? Plumbing? Electronics? Electricity? Food? Medicine? The law? Carpentry? Is he making a makeshift paste? no to all the above

Post Number: 371
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"The whole thing is connected with his profession."

That's the bit I've been forgetting about, and if we could only get that, maybe we could have this thing blown wide open...but even as imaginative as I can be, the limits of my imagination are sorely strained by trying to figure out what good celery, custard powder, and a tub of water that's had newspaper soaked in it are to each other or a profession.

Shot in the dark: Is his profession creating lateral thinking puzzles to mess with LTPF members' heads? (You never know...)
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2093
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"The whole thing is connected with his profession." yep

That's the bit I've been forgetting about, and if we could only get that, maybe we could have this thing blown wide open... yes: once you guess Ben's job, that's your job done ... more or less

but even as imaginative as I can be, the limits of my imagination are sorely strained by trying to figure out what good celery, custard powder, and a tub of water that's had newspaper soaked in it are to each other or a profession. perhaps you should meet Ben

Shot in the dark: Is his profession creating lateral thinking puzzles to mess with LTPF members' heads? (You never know...) Hehe: something similar to that has been done on these forums. But no: this guy has a real job, which pays real money. And this was a normal (ish) day from his life. Honest :-)
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For jobs then;

Entertainment?
Law enforcement?
Any sort of tradesman?
Artist?
Journalist/media?
Retail?
Hospitality?
Cleaning?
Medical?
Public/civil servant?
Office clerk/administration?

Does he work with animals? And the relevant animals, are they a specific type of animals? or just animals in general?
Kaygee (Kaygee)
Username: Kaygee

Post Number: 567
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I invoke the LTPF list of professions...?
Kaygee (Kaygee)
Username: Kaygee

Post Number: 568
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops. Sorry Eli!
Eli (Eli)

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's fine, Kaygee. Probably better to do it your way anyway, as I must have left some out, lol
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2931
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2010 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've missed a good bit of this and have some catching up to do.

Is the paper meant to protect something when this (whatever it is) is going on? I mean does it serve as a sort of lining?

Lots of thoughts running through my head so I'll keep going.
I imagine the paper being put in the bath makes a squelchy kind of noise if he wrings it out. Does he do this? is this important? Is Ben a sound effects person? Is he working on a radio play and the squelching represents someone walking through a wet field? or jumping in a puddle.

Following that theme does he blow into the celery to create another sound effect? A sort of horn sound? For some reason I've got fox hunting in my head but can't quite explain why.

Any of this inane rambling OTRT
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 539
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does he use the other two items (the celery and the custard powder) before soaking the newspaper? In the same time? Afterwards? Does the celery or the custard powder ever get wet? Is it relevant that he perfoms this at home? By the way, are we talking about _his_ home, right? Is he trying to trick someone? To prove something to someone?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2096
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter has this one on the nose ...

Lots of thoughts running through my head so I'll keep going. and quite rightly!

I imagine the paper being put in the bath makes a squelchy kind of noise if he wrings it out. Does he do this? yes, precisely is this important? Is Ben a sound effects person? YES! Is he working on a radio play and the squelching represents someone walking through a wet field? or jumping in a puddle. no, but plenty close enough for ...

*** SPOILER ***

A feature in Saturday's Guardian:

Ben Jones was the foley artist for the BBC's amazing documentary series Life, filmed over several years and released in 2009.

A foley artist's job is to provide sound effects when there isn't sufficient live sound to go with the long-lens camera work.

To represent a baby elephant stuck in a watering hole, Ben (in his own words): 'had to soak an entire newspaper in water so it went all mushy and made some really gloopy, farty sounds'.

'I remember doing footage of caribou in the snow. I thought we'd try using real snow, but it didn't sound right. I ended up using custard powder, which makes that crunchy, squeaky snow sound.'

In the famous scene where the komodo dragons kill a buffalo, Ben squeezed a stick of celery to represent the bites.

Congrats to Peter for the double solve this morning!
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 545
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very nice one, thanks. I realize now that I was completely off-track.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2933
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow that's amazing. I actually saw the one about the baby elephant getting stuck in the water hole. I was terrified it wasn't going to get out. I hadn't realised that they created their own sound effects.

I'm delighted to have achieved a double solve of Woodworm puzzles. If I was any happier I'd be Graeme McDowell.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 5777
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice one - I've always been intrigued by how Foley artists get the sound effects they need.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 2740
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great puzzle - as soon as I saw the post about sound effect (Foley), I figured that had to be it.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: