[Rbruma] Cricket Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2010 » [Rbruma] Cricket « Previous Next »

Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 604
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2010 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many years ago I had a scrund related to the game of cricket

Surely a quick one. However I heard the news today that last month the first Romanian national tournament took place, after the establishment in 2006 (by two expats living here - 2 Brits and an Australian) of the first local cricket team. I thought to celebrate this (hopefully) historic moment with a puzzle
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 546
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2010 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cool, Rbruma! Being American I don't play myself, but any historic moments are fun =D

Did you think cricket involved the cricket bugs?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 605
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2010 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think cricket involved the cricket bugs? No
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 6206
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2010 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is any particular position relevant? Could someone with little to no knowledge of the game have the scrund? Figure out the scrund? Is the equipment relevant? Did you think the "stumps" were actually tree stumps?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 606
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2010 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is any particular position relevant? No Could someone with little to no knowledge of the game have the scrund? Yes, exactly like I was at the time Figure out the scrund? Possibly Is the equipment relevant? Noish Did you think the "stumps" were actually tree stumps? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6211
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2010 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a specific team relevant? Specific player? Is any other sport relevant to the scrund? Perhaps baseball?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 607
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2010 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a specific team relevant? Specific player? Is any other sport relevant to the scrund? Perhaps baseball? No to all
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6219
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2010 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund related to the name of the sport?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 608
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2010 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the scrund related to the name of the sport? No
Eli (Eli)
Username: Eli

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything relevant in the way they dress? Terminology used in the game?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 610
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 6:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything relevant in the way they dress? Terminology used in the game? No to both
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 2118
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think that the batsmen and bowlers were on the same side?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 612
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think that the batsmen and bowlers were on the same side? No
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 2949
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with ways a batsman can get out?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 613
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with ways a batsman can get out? No, much more basic than that
Kaygee (Kaygee)
Username: Kaygee

Post Number: 608
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sent you an email...
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 614
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sent you an email... I replied. I think you have the key
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2950
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think a draw meant a tie?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 619
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think a draw meant a tie? No, not that
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6254
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The term "innings" relevant? Did you think it was plural when it is in fact singular?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 628
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The term "innings" relevant? No Did you think it was plural when it is in fact singular? No, I learned this thing two days ago
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6282
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a specific cricket term relevant?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 631
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a specific cricket term relevant? No
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2953
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does your scrund relate to the rules of the game? The role of the Umpires? The time taken to play a match? How a match is actually won? Could the scrund apply to One Day Cricket as well as Test Cricket?

Is it the common scrund about the length of the pitch? A cricket pitch is actually 22 yards long but TV cameras tend to make them look considerably shorter.
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 633
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does your scrund relate to the rules of the game?Yes! and... The role of the Umpires? The time taken to play a match? How a match is actually won? ...exactly this! Could the scrund apply to One Day Cricket as well as Test Cricket? Both will do

Is it the common scrund about the length of the pitch? No A cricket pitch is actually 22 yards long but TV cameras tend to make them look considerably shorter.
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2954
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think it was the team who took the most wickets wins as opposed to the team who scored the most runs? E.g. If team A scores 250 for the loss of 8 wickets and the Team B scores 251 for the loss of 9 did you think Team A would win in that situation.

Or did you think the winner was the first team to score x number of runs?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 634
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think it was the team who took the most wickets wins as opposed to the team who scored the most runs? E.g. If team A scores 250 for the loss of 8 wickets and the Team B scores 251 for the loss of 9 did you think Team A would win in that situation.
Or did you think the winner was the first team to score x number of runs?

None of these. My knowledge of the game was nowhere so advanced
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 635
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Short RECAP:
Many years ago I had a scrund related to the game of cricket. It refers to the rules of the game, more specifically the ways of winning the game. Any form of cricket can be used, but not other sports -- baseball included.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6299
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have no idea how one actually wins in cricket, so this may be tough, but...

Did your scrund involve runs? Did you think the game was timed?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 636
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have no idea how one actually wins in cricket, so this may be tough, but... I think is even tougher for those who actually know...

Did your scrund involve runs? Did you think the game was timed? No to both
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6304
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the game had a set length, like baseball and bowling?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2121
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with the Duckworth/Lewis method?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 637
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the game had a set length, like baseball and bowling? No

Anything to do with the Duckworth/Lewis method? No, much more simple than a statistical method for predicting outcomes. I was around ten to twelve years old at the time
Whirligig (Whirligig)
Username: Whirligig

Post Number: 396
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the team with the most runs wins, when in fact it's something else? Runs vs. points relevant?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 639
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the team with the most runs wins, when in fact it's something else? Runs vs. points relevant? No. I think however that the team with the most runs wins, but maybe I'm mistaking. To advance a hint, the method of scoring was what troubled me
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6312
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That a person can score multiple runs at a time?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 640
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That a person can score multiple runs at a time? No, I didn't know what a run is. My scrund was mostly visual. I had no idea of the rules
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6313
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your scrund about why there was somebody running back and forth between the stumps?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2123
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think that the scoreboard was communicating some information other than the number of runs and wickets?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 641
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your scrund about why there was somebody running back and forth between the stumps? Did you think that the scoreboard was communicating some information other than the number of runs and wickets? No to all
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2124
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, perhaps it was the umpires' signals?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 642
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, perhaps it was the umpires' signals?
No... the only relevant persons were the bowler and the batsman. I wasn't aware of fielders, umpires, etc.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6325
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your scrund about the way the bowler bowled? The way the batsman batted?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 644
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your scrund about the way the bowler bowled? The way the batsman batted? None of those
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6330
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think there were only those two people playing?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2955
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the batsman scored for every ball he survived? every ball he hit irrespective of whether he ran between the wickets? Did you think only balls struck to the boundary counted?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 645
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think there were only those two people playing? I might have thought so, yes, but that wasn't the main scrund. Suffices to say that the others were not important in my mind Did you think the batsman scored for every ball he survived? No and FA every ball he hit irrespective of whether he ran between the wickets? No and FA Did you think only balls struck to the boundary counted? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6384
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you even know what the batsman was doing? That he even was the batsman?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 646
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you even know what the batsman was doing? Yope That he even was the batsman? I didn't knew his name, but that isn't relevant
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6391
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you witness the bowler bowling? The batsman batting? Did you misinterpret what the bowler was doing? What the batsman was doing?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 2959
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you misunderstand the non strikers role? Did you think the Batsman wanted the ball to hit his stumps? when the batsman played a shot did you think he was trying to hit the stumps at the other end?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 647
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you witness the bowler bowling? Yes The batsman batting? Yes Did you misinterpret what the bowler was doing? Yope What the batsman was doing? Yope

Did you misunderstand the non strikers role? No Did you think the Batsman wanted the ball to hit his stumps? Not this, but getting closer when the batsman played a shot did you think he was trying to hit the stumps at the other end? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6416
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the batsman was trying to hit it back to the bowler?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 649
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the batsman was trying to hit it back to the bowler? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6434
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the batsman was trying to hit the ball as hard as possible? In a certain direction?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 650
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the batsman was trying to hit the ball as hard as possible? In a certain direction? No to both. But is OTRT that I misunderstood their actions and more precisely the way of scoring points
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6474
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the points were given by how far the ball was hit?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 655
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the points were given by how far the ball was hit? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6490
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the bowler was scoring points, not the batsman?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 658
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the bowler was scoring points, not the batsman? YES! Now we are really close... Just realizing how I thought the scoring goes, and we arrive at the $poiler point.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6499
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the bowler got points whenever the batsman missed the ball? Whenever the bowler hit the stumps?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 659
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you think the bowler got points whenever the batsman missed the ball? No Whenever the bowler hit the stumps? Not this, but close enough for the

******* SPOILER *******

As a kid, seing very rarely and only small fragments of cricket games, I was under the impression that only the bowler and the batsman were actually playing and that everything was a sort of a penalty shoot-out, the batsman playing the role of a goal-keeper (as in handball or football). A goal would be scored if the ball passed _between_ the stumps. Of course, I wondered why I never manage to see a 'goal' ... but solved it quickly: I must have had by accident caught a match with a great goalkeeper or an incompetent kicker.

Thanks to all for playing and especially Matt for sticking with it and providing the final pieces.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6510
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good puzzle! You pushed my cricket knowledge to the limit there (and sadly, I'm not kidding....}

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: