[gregoryuconn] The Sun Shines Bright Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2010 » [gregoryuconn] The Sun Shines Bright « Previous Next »

Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At the memorial service, Everett told the deceased's widow to stop crying. However, nobody thought this the least bit offensive and most greatly appreciated what Everett did.
Visconti (Visconti)
Username: Visconti

Post Number: 261
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lets get these out of the way:

Everett: H/A/M?
Widow: H/A/F?
Memorial service: funeral? for a H/A/M?
"what Everett did" = telling the widow to stop crying?

anyone else at the 'memorial service' crying? were they told to stop?

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lets get these out of the way:

Everett: H/A/M? yes
Widow: H/A/F? yes
Memorial service: funeral? Not in the cemetery sense but it was essentially so. It was the memorial service they have before the burial. for a H/A/M?
"what Everett did" = telling the widow to stop crying? yope

anyone else at the 'memorial service' crying? assume yes were they told to stop? Some of them would have been technically, but you're making an FA
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 3479
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she crying as in: shedding tears? Sobbing? Wailing? Shouting? Something else? Did she stop crying when Everett told her to? Did she also appreciate what he did? Did he tell her something more? Did he give her something? Age of the widow relevant? Of the dead guy? Was Everett the dead guy, coming back to life?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 6501
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Everett tell only the widow to stop crying? Tell the widow to only stop crying?

Shot in the dark: Was Everett really the "widow"'s husband? And the deceased was someone else?

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she crying as in: shedding tears? yes Sobbing? presumably Wailing? Shouting? Something else? the exact way she was "crying" is irrelevant Did she stop crying when Everett told her to? Irrelevant, and somewhat of an FA; see below with Balin's post Did she also appreciate what he did? probably Did he tell her something more? Technically yes, but once again FA (see Balin's post) Did he give her something? no Age of the widow relevant? no Of the dead guy? no oWas Everett the dead guy, coming back to life? that would be interesting, but no

Did Everett tell only the widow to stop crying? I'm not sure how to answer this so I'll just say his remark was intended for a large group of people but directed at an individual. You should explore this.
Tell the widow to only stop crying? Everett mentioned more than that, though once again I'm not sure how to answer. Try exploring exactly what Everett said (although I'm not sure "said" or "told" is entirely correct either.

Shot in the dark: Was Everett really the "widow"'s husband? And the deceased was someone else? No, nothing like that. The widow was the deceased's wife (until he died.)

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a hint, since I reread my original post: replace the word "told" in "told the deceased's widow to stop crying" with "instructed" which may eliminate (or help to eliminate) an FA.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6564
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he tell the widow to stop through spoken word? Through some other means?

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he tell the widow to stop through spoken word? Depends on what you mean by "spoken". Through some other means? If you define what he did as "spoken" then no. If you don't, then yes, obviously.
Gameczar (Gameczar)
Username: Gameczar

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Everett use sign-language? Or another non-verbal form of communication?
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Everett intend that she stop crying?

Was the appreciation due merely to the fact that Everett showed he could use this "svv of speaking" form of communication? Did the communication use any equipment? If so, was he testing the equipment?

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Everett use sign-language? Or another non-verbal form of communication? neither of these

Did Everett intend that she stop crying? No

Was the appreciation due merely to the fact that Everett showed he could use this "svv of speaking" form of communication? No Did the communication use any equipment? Yesish, and once you find the communication method, it will be obvious. If so, was he testing the equipment? No, and the only equipment he personally was using was a microphone. The other equipment was involved but not used by him specifically, hence the "ish"
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6603
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he speak into the microphone? Did he say the words "stop crying"? Is he a ventriloquist?
Bentarm (Bentarm)
Username: Bentarm

Post Number: 1748
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Everett actually intend to stop the woman from crying? Hope that she might?

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he speak into the microphone? Once again, what do you mean by "speak"? He vocalized words, if that's what you mean. Did he say the words "stop crying"? not specifically Is he a ventriloquist? no
Did Everett actually intend to stop the woman from crying? Hope that she might? no to these
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 676
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he singing, rather than speaking? Was the order to stop crying a song?

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he singing, rather than speaking? Precisely Was the order to stop crying a song? Well, part of it, yes... I'm going to leave this open a little bit longer to see if anyone can figure out the rest, since the title does give somewhat of a clue, and this is a true story involving a man named Everett, but after that since it's basically solved I'll you-know-what it.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6643
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the song calm everyone down? Make the mood more peaceful?

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the song calm everyone down? Make the mood more peaceful? <b> irrelevant. Like I said, I'm only leaving the puzzle open out of curiosity to see if anyone knows the specific song/details. The important part was that it was the song lyrics, and that it was an emotional performance. If nobody gets the details (HINT: look at the title) by tomorrow morning (US time) I will $poyle.

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the song calm everyone down? Make the mood more peaceful? irrelevant. Like I said, I'm only leaving the puzzle open out of curiosity to see if anyone knows the specific song/details. The important part was that it was the song lyrics, and that it was an emotional performance. If nobody gets the details (HINT: look at the title) by tomorrow morning (US time) I will $poyle.

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*** SPOILER ***
Seeing as nobody's gotten it, I'm just going to stop it. Everett is Everett McCorvey, a professor at the University of Kentucky. The deceased is Bill Keightley, the beloved UK Wildcats basketball equipment manager. McCorvey was singing "My Old Kentucky Home" (opening line "The sun shines bright on my old Kentucky home" hence the title) and as he sang the line "Weep no more my lady / weep no more today" the news tv camera cut to a shot of Keightley's widow, understandably crying. Of course, the remark was not directed specifically at her, but it was still pretty emotional. For a video, go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcJAifuBoEM to see what I mean
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6695
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow - that was a beautiful video.

Great puzzle as well! Never picked up that "telling her to stop crying" was actually a line in the song.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: