[Gameczar] How Rumors Get Started Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2010 » [Gameczar] How Rumors Get Started « Previous Next »

Gameczar (Gameczar)
Username: Gameczar

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mary: "No, They are just friends, nothing more."
John: "Dammit, he did have his hands all over him."
Mary: "No, I think it was unintentional. He never was one for public displays of affection."
John: "Oh it's bad, but if we stop them now maybe there is still a slim chance."
Mary: "I agree, but it's his life. All we can do is support his choice, even if we don't like it."
John: "Get in his face and knock him on his butt. Now that's how you send em a message."
Mary: "We can always ask Linda about it, when we see her on Monday."

What just happened?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 6709
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"They": 2 people? 3? 4? More? HAM? HAF?

Are video games relevant?

Is the real scenario as awkward as it sounds? (And I love the title)
Gameczar (Gameczar)

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"They": 2 people? <This One 3? 4? More? HAM? Yes HAF? Yes

Are video games relevant? No

Is the real scenario as awkward as it sounds? No

(And I love the title) Thanks

For the record: FYOI = Yes
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6724
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do all "they"s and "them"s refer to the same two people?
In John's first spoken line, "he" = "his"? "he" = "him"? "his" = "him"?
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 2165
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can we call them Eric and Ernie?

Are they hugging each other?

In celebration of something?

Are they blind or partially sighted?

Are Mary and John the parents of either man?

Is Linda related to either man? To Mary? To John?

Is Linda an evangelist?
Gameczar (Gameczar)

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do all "they"s and "them"s refer to the same two people? No
In John's first spoken line, "he" = "his"? "he" = "him"? "his" = "him"? Yes

You may safely assume that all he=him, they=them, etc. within the same spoken line.
Gameczar (Gameczar)

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can we call them Eric and Ernie? No

Are they hugging each other? No, FA here

In celebration of something? No

Are they blind or partially sighted? No

Are Mary and John the parents of either man? No

Is Linda related to either man? To Mary? To John? No

Is Linda an evangelist? No
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2168
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they observe a shadow or something similar? So M & J didn't actually see two people at all?
Gameczar (Gameczar)

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since this puzzle is a bit odd, I recommend you reference the spoken lines as follows: J1 = John's first line. M3 = Mary's third line, etc.

The puzzle can solved without knowing who/whom is being talked about.
Gameczar (Gameczar)

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

M1 -- Mary: "No, They are just friends, nothing more."

J1 -- John: "Dammit, he did have his hands all over him."

M2 -- Mary: "No, I think it was unintentional. He never was one for public displays of affection."

J2 -- John: "Oh it's bad, but if we stop them now maybe there is still a slim chance."

M3 -- Mary: "I agree, but it's his life. All we can do is support his choice, even if we don't like it."

J3 -- John: "Get in his face and knock him on his butt. Now that's how you send em a message."

M4 -- Mary: "We can always ask Linda about it, when we see her on Monday."
Gameczar (Gameczar)

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they observe a shadow or something similar? No

So M & J didn't actually see two people at all? Yes, No and Irr, One of them may have, but it is still Irr to the solution.
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2169
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John is watching a ballgame? Mary isn't?
Gameczar (Gameczar)

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John is watching a ballgame? Yes Mary isn't? Yes

almost solved, a few details missing.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6730
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the two people - one is HAM, the other HAF, correct? Is the sport John is watching relevant? Baseball? Football? Basketball?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2171
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahhh ... right. John's part looks like he isn't listening to her, but shouting at a TV screen? Is this right? Is it Mary's part we need to look more closely at? It doesn't seem that John is listening to Mary (typical bloke). Is she listening to him? And misunderstanding him? Are they watching different channels, or such?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6732
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooh, or maybe Mary is on the phone? And John...I'd guess he's watching a football game? (His first line seems to indicate he wants a holding or pass interference penalty....)
Gameczar (Gameczar)

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahhh ... right. John's part looks like he isn't listening to her, but shouting at a TV screen? Is this right? Yes

Is it Mary's part we need to look more closely at? It doesn't seem that John is listening to Mary (typical bloke). Yes Is she listening to him? No And misunderstanding him? See Previous question Are they watching different channels, or such? No

You almost got it.
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 1954
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Mary on the phone with someone?
Gameczar (Gameczar)

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooh, or maybe Mary is on the phone? YES And John...I'd guess he's watching a football game? YES (His first line seems to indicate he wants a holding or pass interference penalty....) No, his team was flagged for pass interference.

******* SPOILER *******
John is watching football, and talking back to the TV. Mary is on the phone with her
girlfriend. Rumors get started by hearing both people and joining the portions of seperate dialogs.

[Girlfriend: "Are Mark and Linda dating?"]
Mary: "No, They are just friends, nothing more."
[Girlfriend: "But I saw Mark put his arm around Linda at the movie."]
Mary: "No, I think it was unintentional. He never was one for public displays of affection."
[Girlfriend: "They would make such a cute couple."]
Mary: "I agree, but it's his life. All we can do is support his choice, even if we don't like it."
[Girlfriend: "Well, I think she really has a thing for Mark."]
Mary: "We can always ask Linda about it, when we see her on Monday."

[TV: "Flag on the field, pass interference."]
John: "Dammit, he did have his hands all over him."
[TV: "First and ten from 45 yard line."]
John: "Oh it's bad, but if we stop them now maybe there is still a slim chance."
[TV: "The Quarterback was sacked for a loss of 8 yards."]
John: "Get in his face and knock him on his butt. Now that's how you send em a message."

Thanks to: Balin and Woodworm, feel free to do an end-zone dance!
Gameczar (Gameczar)

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Sorry Noel, cross post.)

Is Mary on the phone with someone? By now you know the answer

Thanks for playing.
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2179
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heheh. Nice one. You gave a bit of a clue by separating out the lines like that. :-)
Gameczar (Gameczar)

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heheh. Nice one. You gave a bit of a clue by separating out the lines like that. :-)

Yeah I know. But I was afraid that this puzzle was going to break down into 1,978,536 posts like the following.

Is the second He related to the third They which is the sister of the first Them? Head Starts Spinning
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 6744
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a foam football in my room...*commences end zone dance, complete with spike*

Nice football puzzle!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: