[Rbruma] Yet another set of connections Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2010 » [Rbruma] Yet another set of connections « Previous Next »

Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 779
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is my first attempt at a connections type puzzle, so please bear with me...

Here it goes:

What links together:

a. a sunflower
b. the town of Strasbourg

and (of course)

c. a certain Mr. Koch
?

Googling and praying are of course not only allowed but even encouraged. I use them both
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 924
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gregoryuconn aka Gregory Koch/Kotch/Coke/our Mr. Koch? :-D
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 780
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gregoryuconn aka Gregory Koch/Kotch/Coke/our Mr. Koch? :-D Not this time, no

Post Number: 925
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pity...but maybe that's for the best, he's been getting a lot of attention lately, lol.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 7211
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Koch - H? A? M? Profession relevant?

Strasbourg - the town in France? History of the town relevant? Something about the culture? Sports relevant?

Sunflower - the flower? A specific type of sunflower?
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 2240
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, before I resort to God & Google, let me throw out what little I know about sunflowers, Strasbourg and Kochs:

a. The sunflowers painted by Mr V. van Gogh (pronounced a bit like Koch, except in America)?

Girasole in Sardinia?

The Jerusalem artichoke?

b. Relevant that Strasbourg stands on the Ill? That its cathedral has an asymmetric spire?

c. Running out of Kochs, but ...

wiki sometimes throws up treasures like this lovely defence of weightlessness:

The Waste Land gave the time’s most accurate data,
It seemed, and Eliot was the Great Dictator
Of literature. One hardly dared to wink
Or fool around in any way in poems,
And critics poured out awful jereboams
To irony, ambiguity, and tension –
And other things I do not wish to mention.

[Kenneth Koch, pronounced Coke]

Is this your man?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 782
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Koch - H? A? M? Profession relevant? Yes to all
Strasbourg - the town in France? Yes History of the town relevant? Yes Something about the culture? Sports relevant? No to both

Sunflower - the flower? Yes, I believe so anyway A specific type of sunflower? I don't think so

Well, before I resort to God & Google, let me throw out what little I know about sunflowers, Strasbourg and Kochs: Impressive, to say the least...

a. The sunflowers painted by Mr V. van Gogh (pronounced a bit like Koch, except in America)? No, and unfortunately nothing related to this extraordinary artist is relevant

Girasole in Sardinia? No

The Jerusalem artichoke? Not this either

b. Relevant that Strasbourg stands on the Ill? That its cathedral has an asymmetric spire? No to both

c. Running out of Kochs, but ...

wiki sometimes throws up treasures like this lovely defence of weightlessness:

The Waste Land gave the time’s most accurate data,
It seemed, and Eliot was the Great Dictator
Of literature. One hardly dared to wink
Or fool around in any way in poems,
And critics poured out awful jereboams Is this a typo or just my bad English / lack of culture?
To irony, ambiguity, and tension –
And other things I do not wish to mention.

[Kenneth Koch, pronounced Coke]

Is this your man? Sadly, no
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7223
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A jeroboam is a quadruple-sized wine bottle, named for the Biblical king.

Is a characteristic of the sunflower relevant? A single specific sunflower?

Is Koch's profession related to media? Sports? Crime? Law? Government?

Strasbourg - date of founding relevant? A historical event involving the town?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 783
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A jeroboam is a quadruple-sized wine bottle, named for the Biblical king. That was also my impression, I was just surprised to see it spelled 'jereboam'

Is a characteristic of the sunflower relevant? No A single specific sunflower? No. To clear up the confusion, we are looking for a piece of text involving sunflowers, so no actual living sunflower is relevant

Is Koch's profession related to media? Sports? Crime? Law? Government? No to all

Strasbourg - date of founding relevant? No A historical event involving the town? Yes!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7226
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Narrowing it down, did the Strasbourg event occur in [LTPF list of centuries]?

Is Koch's profession related to education?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 785
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Narrowing it down, did the Strasbourg event occur in [LTPF list of centuries]? 9th

Is Koch's profession related to education? This also, but not relevant
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7232
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oaths of Strasbourg?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 787
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oaths of Strasbourg? Exactly! Now then...
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2245
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think 'Jereboams' is a wordplay by Koch: a cross between the expected 'Jeremiads' and 'Jeroboams', earnest laments by champagne-swilling critics. I think it's wonderful.

Ninth century events? Erk! I will now have to invoke G-d and Google, not necessarily in that order :-)
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 788
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

think 'Jereboams' is a wordplay by Koch: a cross between the expected 'Jeremiads' and 'Jeroboams', earnest laments by champagne-swilling critics. I think it's wonderful. I see. Now it makes sense -- and poetry appears

Ninth century events? Erk! I will now have to invoke G-d and Google, not necessarily in that order :-) Not necessary. Matt put us in the next level
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7238
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So is the Oaths of Strasbourg the key, or needst we to go further? Charlemagne relevant?

Is Koch a writer?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2247
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Charles the Bald?

Blake's sunflower? Another poem about a sunflower?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 789
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So is the Oaths of Strasbourg the key, or needst we to go further? You need to go further Charlemagne relevant? No

Is Koch a writer? No, or not in a relevant way. The solution is much simpler and has been recently on the LPTF

Charles the Bald? And Louis the German. But the key to moving forward is the 'oath'

Blake's sunflower? Another poem about a sunflower? No to both
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7250
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert Koch?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 791
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert Koch? That's our guy. Now moving further...

Established by now:

a. sunflower appearing in a text of some kind
b. Strasbourg -> the Oath
c. a certain Mr Koch -> Robert Koch
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7253
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The "sunflower" text - an essay? A poem? A book? An article?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 793
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The "sunflower" text - an essay? A poem? A book? An article? No to all. I think a motto is closest
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7256
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sunflower seeds relevant? Would "slogan" work better?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 794
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sunflower seeds relevant? No Would "slogan" work better? I am not sure. Maybe a nickname would work better
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7260
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert Koch - anthrax relevant?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 795
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert Koch - anthrax relevant? No, but in the right forest
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7263
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TB?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Username: Ixoye724

Post Number: 2982
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sure this is way off, but...

There's a character in the series 'The Tick' (which has appeared as an animated TV show but may also be in print somewhere) known as "El Seed" - he is a giant walking, talking sunflower who uses plants and plant-borne toxins to fight humans; the Strasbourg Oaths were a plan to prevent fighting in wars, and El Seed is one of many menaces whom The Tick prevents from starting a war where plant toxins would be used as a weapon; Koch did research on anthrax and bacteria, potential toxins used as weapons.

I'm sure this is wayyyy off, if by some miracle it's actually correct I'll faint from the shock of it.
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 796
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TB? This! Now then...

I'm sure this is way off, but...

There's a character in the series 'The Tick' (which has appeared as an animated TV show but may also be in print somewhere) known as "El Seed" - he is a giant walking, talking sunflower who uses plants and plant-borne toxins to fight humans; the Strasbourg Oaths were a plan to prevent fighting in wars, and El Seed is one of many menaces whom The Tick prevents from starting a war where plant toxins would be used as a weapon; Koch did research on anthrax and bacteria, potential toxins used as weapons.

I'm sure this is wayyyy off, if by some miracle it's actually correct I'll faint from the shock of it. No need to faint, it has nothing to do with my poor puzzle. But a nice piece of information and of lateral thinking
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7266
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So we have...

Sunflower -> some text (a "motto" or "nickname")

Strasbourg -> The Oaths

Koch -> Robert -> TB

All good so far?

TB vaccine relevant?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 797
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So we have...

Sunflower -> some text (a "motto" or "nickname" This is closest I guess, for our American co-puzzlers.)

Strasbourg -> The Oaths

Koch -> Robert -> TB

All good so far? With the observation above, yes

TB vaccine relevant? No, nothing about Koch or vaccine is relevant any more -- only tuberculosis
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 798
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A short recap:

a. sunflower appearing in a text of some kind ("nickname" is closest)
c. a certain Mr Koch -> Robert Koch -> tuberculosis

We have left around 4-5 levels of indirection for each hint. According to my calculations, point a should have been the first to be solved. Let's see
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7280
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Sunflower State? Kansas? Then maybe The Wizard of Oz? Wildcats? Jayhawks? (mascots of Kansas U and Kansas State) Chiefs? Royals? Another sports team?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 800
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Sunflower State? Yes! Kansas? This one but none of the rest Then maybe The Wizard of Oz? Wildcats? Jayhawks? (mascots of Kansas U and Kansas State) Chiefs? Royals? Another sports team?

Post Number: 953
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so...text with Kansas in it? A book? A newspaper? A magazine? A sign? a license plate?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 802
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so...text with Kansas in it? No, FA. The nickname was the text. Now what matters is the state A book? A newspaper? A magazine? A sign? a license plate? So no to all of these

Post Number: 955
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok...Kansas. Hmm.

Kansan (resident of Kansas)
Motto: Ad astra per aspera (Through hardship to the stars)
Capital: Topeka

Kansas Territory (prior to statehood?)
January 29, 1861 (34th state)

KS (postal code)?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 803
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok...Kansas. Hmm.

Kansan (resident of Kansas)
Motto: Ad astra per aspera (Through hardship to the stars)
Capital: Topeka

Kansas Territory (prior to statehood?)
January 29, 1861 (34th state)

KS (postal code)?

No to all. A little bit more of ground work required

Post Number: 958
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rats. It's quarter to midnight here on the Pacific coast, and I'm too tired for ground work. Also, I'm graduating from college tomorrow evening, and I'll be out and about most of the day. I bet someone will solve this when I'm not looking. Ah well, there's no place like home. Or bed. Or the LTPF. But between LTPF and bed right now, I choose bed. *yawn* Night, everyone.
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 806
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good night and have fun tomorrow. In this other part of the world the work day has just begun
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7325
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kansas - as setting in a work of literature? Or film? A phrase with the word "Kansas" in it? Wildest guess imaginable - the song "Kansasland" from the musical Curtains? Or another song involving Kansas?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 810
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kansas - as setting in a work of literature? Or film? A phrase with the word "Kansas" in it? Wildest guess imaginable - the song "Kansasland" from the musical Curtains? Or another song involving Kansas? No to all, fiction is not involved here
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7332
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Size of Kansas relevant? Neighboring states? Tornadoes?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 818
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Size of Kansas relevant? Neighboring states? Tornadoes? No to all
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7344
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kansas is mostly farmland relevant?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 819
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kansas is mostly farmland relevant? No, but something from Kansas (more specifically from one of the counties is relevant}
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7350
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tuberculosis - symptoms relevant? Widespreadedness (I know that's not a word) of the disease? Vaccine?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 820
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tuberculosis - symptoms relevant? Noish. No to rest Widespreadedness (I know that's not a word) of the disease? Vaccine?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7353
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A famous person with TB relevant? Causes of TB?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3003
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dodge City, Kansas?
Is Doc Holliday relevant?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 821
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A famous person with TB relevant? Yes! Finding this person is the next step in this chain Causes of TB? No

Dodge City, Kansas?
Is Doc Holliday relevant? No to both
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7359
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the person a celebrity? Are they still alive? Were they alive in [LTPF list of centuries]?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3008
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lyon County, KS?
Did the person die from TB? Or just have it?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 822
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the person a celebrity? He is well known by some Are they still alive? Who are they? The person we are talking about is not Were they alive in [LTPF list of centuries]? Again, who are they? The person was alive in the 19th century

Lyon County, KS? No, other county is relevant
Did the person die from TB? Yes! Or just have it? So no
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3011
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Douglas County, KS? James Naismith?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 823
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Douglas County, KS? James Naismith? No. To avoid a [LTPF list of KS counties] I will name it: Leavenworth
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 824
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2010 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recap at the end of Day #2:

a. sunflower -> Kansas -> Leavenworth county
c. a certain Mr Koch -> Robert Koch -> tuberculosis -> one well known person who died from tuberculosis in the 19th century
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7371
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is anything specific about Leavenworth county relevant? Or just its name? Leavenworth -> the prison? Or leavened bread?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 825
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is anything specific about Leavenworth county relevant? YES Or just its name? Leavenworth -> the prison? Or leavened bread? So no to the rest
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7390
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

County code (LV) relevant? Towns in the county? Geographical location of the county? Demographics?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 828
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

County code (LV) relevant? Towns in the county? Geographical location of the county? Demographics? No to all
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7395
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Changing tacks for a moment...for the Oaths of Strasbourg, are we looking for a specific part of the Oath? Something that happened as a result of the Oath? Another famous Oath?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 829
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Changing tacks for a moment...for the Oaths of Strasbourg, are we looking for a specific part of the Oath? Something that happened as a result of the Oath? Another famous Oath? This one!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7435
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did this famous oath occur in [LTPF list of centuries]? Or has it happened more than once? Wedding vows?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 831
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did this famous oath occur in [LTPF list of centuries]? Apparently it originated around 5th century BC Or has it happened more than once? It has happened many times Wedding vows?No
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2260
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hippocratic oath?
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 3000
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doc Holliday the person who died from TB?
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3001
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Darn just realised Doc Holliday had already been guessed . Sorry.
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 832
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 5:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hippocratic oath? Indeed! Doc Holliday the person who died from TB? No

Recap:

b. Strasbourg -> the Oath -> Hippocratic Oath
c. a certain Mr Koch -> Robert Koch -> tuberculosis -> one well known person who died from tuberculosis in the 19th century (but not Doc Holliday)
Peter365 (Peter365)

Post Number: 3004
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My goodness there's a lot of famous people who've died of TB .

Are they a writer? Robert Louis Stevenson? One of the Brontes? poet? John Keats?

Politician? Ruler?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 838
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My goodness there's a lot of famous people who've died of TB There is, indeed. A simple methodical approach should reveal the one intended here

Are they a writer? This is closest, but may be grossly misleading Robert Louis Stevenson? One of the Brontes? poet? John Keats? None of the rest. Some would consider him more of a scientist

Politician? Ruler? No to both
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7501
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the dead guy [LTPF list of nationalities]?

Hippocratic Oath - ancient Greece? Doctors?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 841
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the dead guy [LTPF list of nationalities]? Norwegian

Hippocratic Oath - ancient Greece? Doctors? Yope. Something about Hippocrates is relevant
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3075
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dead guy - Abel?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 844
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dead guy - Abel? Exactly! Nice job...

Recap:

b. Strasbourg -> the Oath -> Hippocratic Oath -> something about Hippocrates relevant
c. a certain Mr Koch -> Robert Koch -> tuberculosis -> Niels Abel
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7514
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is anything about Niels Abel's life relevant? His work? Is the name "Niels" relevant? Niels Bohr? Or is the name "Abel" relevant? Cain and Abel?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 845
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 6:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is anything about Niels Abel's life relevant? His work? Thisish. No to all the rest Is the name "Niels" relevant? Niels Bohr? Or is the name "Abel" relevant? Cain and Abel?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7548
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mathematics relevant? The quintic equation? Radicals?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 846
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mathematics relevant? Yes The quintic equation? Radicals? But none of these
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7562
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A specific branch of mathematics relevant?

Hippocrates - ancient Greece? Contemporaries of him? His time of death?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 847
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A specific branch of mathematics relevant? Algebra. Something that is named after Niels Abel

Hippocrates - ancient Greece? Yes, in the sense that Hippocrates lived in that period. No to the rest Contemporaries of him? His time of death?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7589
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So are we looking for something about ancient Greece? Gods/goddesses? Temples? Buildings? Some part of the culture? The Olympics?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 848
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So are we looking for something about ancient Greece? No, only something about / related to Hippocrates and the people to whom he taught his art Gods/goddesses? Temples? Buildings? This is closest, but still not close. No to the rest Some part of the culture? The Olympics?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7605
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a specific place in Greece relevant?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3096
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Abel prize relevant?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 849
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a specific place in Greece relevant? Yes
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3100
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you see the cross-post?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 853
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Abel prize relevant? No Did you see the cross-post? Only now
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7649
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Place in Greece - a city? Athens?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 854
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Place in Greece - a city? Athens? No to both
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7665
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leavenworth county - some event in the county relevant? Something it is famous for? A place in it?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 856
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leavenworth county - some event in the county relevant? Something it is famous for? Not sure if this makes it famous, but it is known for something originating from there, though not an event or a place A place in it?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7675
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A person from there?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 857
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A person from there? No, something else
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7679
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A thing from there? Is that where the giant ball of twine is?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 858
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A thing from there? Yesish Is that where the giant ball of twine is? Irrelevant
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7698
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Place in Greece - a landmark? A topographical site? Such as a mountain? Sea? River?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 864
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Place in Greece - a landmark? This, on something... A topographical site? ...like this... Such as a mountain? Sea? River? ... but however none of these
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7703
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Areopagus (Rock of Ares)?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 867
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Areopagus (Rock of Ares)? No. Remember, Hippocrates is relevant and we are trying to discover something related to him
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7712
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this a monument of some sort?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 874
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this a monument of some sort? Yes, for svv of monument. A landmark is better I guess
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7720
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a structure? Writings?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 876
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a structure? Writings? No to both
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7722
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a place where Hippocrates did something?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 877
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a place where Hippocrates did something? Yope -- what are we looking for is in a place where Hippocrates did something, but is not the place itself
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7723
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it an item in that place?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 879
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it an item in that place? Yes
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7730
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK - I've circled around myself again.

Could you please recap?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 880
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RECAP:

a. sunflower -> Kansas -> Leavenworth county -> something that has its origins in this county
b. Strasbourg -> the Oath -> Hippocratic Oath -> something about Hippocrates relevant: a landmark standing in the place where Hippocrates used to do something, not a structure, writings or Areopagus
c. a certain Mr Koch -> Robert Koch -> tuberculosis -> Niels Abel -> something named after him in the field of algebra

Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7738
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the humors relevant? The thing Hippocrates did - related to medicine? To the Hippocratic Oath?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 882
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the humors relevant? No The thing Hippocrates did - related to medicine? Yes To the Hippocratic Oath? Yesish

Because I already answered that but forgot to mention in the recap: the thing he was doing was teaching medicine to his students. In the place he used to do this, on the island of Kos, a certain item stood, considered a landmark, and this item is our only concern. Nothing else related to Hippocrates or to ancient Greece is relevant
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7746
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The market? The domed building?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 883
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The market? The domed building? No to both
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2328
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Tree of Hippocrates. A plane tree. ?

Sorry, but my snake definitely blinked before yours.
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 886
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Tree of Hippocrates. Exactly... A plane tree.? ... and precisely so.

Approaching the grand finale... With a few steps left
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 888
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recap at the end of the day:

a. sunflower -> Kansas -> Leavenworth county -> something that has its origins in this county
b. Strasbourg -> the Oath -> Hippocratic Oath -> Hippocrates -> the Tree of Hippocrates -> plane tree -> ?
c. a certain Mr Koch -> Robert Koch -> tuberculosis -> Niels Abel -> something named after him in the field of algebra
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2331
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you dropping a sneaky hint on my puzzle? I'm thinking here of the complex plane...
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 891
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you dropping a sneaky hint on my puzzle? I'm thinking here of the complex plane... I'd wished that was true, but unfortunately I didn't think about it... A plane is a simple plane, so to speak

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wish someone would try poking around at my puzzle...*sigh*

Plane = flat surface?
Or airplane?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 893
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Plane = flat surface?
Or airplane? This one! Only one step left in this chain
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7756
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Airplane - a specific type of airplane? A company that makes airplanes? An airport? An airline? Skydiving?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 894
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Airplane - a specific type of airplane? A company that makes airplanes? An airport? An airline? Skydiving? No to all
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7773
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Airplane - pilot?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 898
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Airplane - pilot? No. A little more basic investigation might be required here. A direct connection, without a little more questioning, is next to impossible
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7785
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One specific airplane? A real one? A fictional one? A depiction of one? In some form of media? Or entertainment?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 900
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One specific airplane? No A real one? Yes, no to the rest A fictional one? A depiction of one? In some form of media? Or entertainment?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7799
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something that an airplane does? Something done on an airplane? Someone who works on an airplane?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 901
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something that an airplane does? This is closest. None of the rest Something done on an airplane? Someone who works on an airplane?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7803
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of the airplane's instruments?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 902
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of the airplane's instruments? One instrument is relevant, but is not the answer
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7817
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant instrument: speedometer? Altimeter? Level flight indicator? Wash? Soak? Rinse? Spin?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 904
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant instrument: speedometer? This one, more precisely the airspeed indicator Altimeter? Level flight indicator? Wash? Soak? Rinse? Spin?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7823
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The airspeed is given...in knots?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 905
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The airspeed is given...in knots? It is, but it is not relevant

RECAP:

b. Strasbourg -> the Oath -> Hippocratic Oath -> Hippocrates -> the Tree of Hippocrates -> plane tree -> airplane -> something related to airplane speed

Point b is very close to the end of chain, but point a and c may be also of interest
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7829
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Point C: Abelian groups? Topology?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 907
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Point C: Abelian groups? This one! Only two steps left here also Topology?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2343
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mach number?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 914
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mach number? No, but speed is certainly involved
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7885
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a specific part of an Abelian group relevant? A specific type?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 915
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a specific part of an Abelian group relevant? A specific type? No to both. We are looking to find something to which an abelian group is somehow related
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7890
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something about abstract algebra? Finite groups? Infinite groups?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 916
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something about abstract algebra? Yes Finite groups? Infinite groups? But none of these
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7895
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Groups? Rings? Fields? Modules? Vector spaces? Fermat's theorem?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 917
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Groups? Rings? This one! Now for the final leap in this chain... Fields? Modules? Vector spaces? Fermat's theorem?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7903
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rings: Actual, physical rings? Lord of the Rings? Onion rings? The Olympic rings? Wedding rings? Engagement rings? Rings found in Cracker Jack boxes (which are sometimes used as engagement rings)? ISH's puzzle about Execution Rock? The rings (gymnastics event)? Ring Around the Rosie? A ring of criminals? Super Bowl rings?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 918
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rings: Actual, physical rings? This-ish, none of the others Lord of the Rings? Onion rings? The Olympic rings? Wedding rings? Engagement rings? Rings found in Cracker Jack boxes (which are sometimes used as engagement rings)? ISH's puzzle about Execution Rock? The rings (gymnastics event)? Ring Around the Rosie? A ring of criminals? Super Bowl rings?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7904
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A drawing of rings? Some depiction of rings? One ring? More than one? Ring as in the round thing?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 919
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A drawing of rings? No Some depiction of rings?b{No} One ring? No More than one? Yes Ring as in the round thing? It has a round appeareance, yes
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7906
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A sculpture of rings? Are the rings all the same? Of the same type?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 920
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A sculpture of rings? No Are the rings all the same? Nope Of the same type? Yes

Also, I sense a FA in some of the questions in the last few posts
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7907
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the rings linked? Or otherwise connected?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 921
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the rings linked? Or otherwise connected? Nope. They are concentric

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A target?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 922
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A target? No, but good thinking
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7910
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A hedge maze? Labyrinth/
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 924
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A hedge maze? Labyrinth/ No to both
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7912
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Crop circles?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 925
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Crop circles? No, but also good thinking
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7913
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is an optical illusion relevant?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 926
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is an optical illusion relevant? Noish
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2345
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Saturn?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 927
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Saturn? Bingo! And this is the end of the this chain, which prompts a

RECAP:

b. Strasbourg -> the Oath -> Hippocratic Oath -> Hippocrates -> the Tree of Hippocrates -> plane tree -> airplane -> something related to airplane speed

c. a certain Mr Koch -> Robert Koch -> tuberculosis -> Niels Abel -> Abelian group -> Rings -> SATURN [end of chain]

Once all the chains will be completed, the connection will be evident. Till now, point a. is the most underdeveloped, although I think it will proceed faster than the elusive airplane speed. Your call.

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mercury? Because Mercury is so fast? The fastest planet? (this is for b, by the way. Although that's just for speed, not airplane speed. I'm probably missing something so I decided to try and skip ahead. Is planetary speed relevant?)
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 928
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mercury? Because Mercury is so fast? The fastest planet? (this is for b, by the way. Although that's just for speed, not airplane speed. I'm probably missing something so I decided to try and skip ahead. Is planetary speed relevant?)

No to all. The speed is airplane speed
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7927
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All right, back to Chain A for a bit...

Leavenworth's formerly being a dry county relevant? Any schools in there relevant?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2349
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm, don't know much about aircraft speeds. Anything to do with V Speeds? Critical speeds at which an aircraft doesn't, er, fall out of the sky?

And now we've got to Saturn at the end of one thread, perhaps we might start moving sideways? Is the connection between the threads to do with planets? Motor vehicles? Ancient Roman rites? Gods? Gustav Holst?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7936
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ooh, maybe a famous person from the county?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 933
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

All right, back to Chain A for a bit... Good idea!

Leavenworth's formerly being a dry county relevant? Any schools in there relevant? No to both

Hmmm, don't know much about aircraft speeds. It seems that you know enough and of course googling is alowed Anything to do with V Speeds? Indeed! Critical speeds at which an aircraft doesn't, er, fall out of the sky? So no to this

And now we've got to Saturn at the end of one thread, perhaps we might start moving sideways? You might. Anyway, the puzzle will be over when all the threads will be completed, which is not far away -- only "a" needs a bit more work, since "c" is completed and "b" is at its final step Is the connection between the threads to do with planets? Motor vehicles? Ancient Roman rites? Gods? Gustav Holst? No to all

Ooh, maybe a famous person from the county? Not this. The 'thing' in question is not a person

Good progress
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7981
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

V speeds -> Saturn V rocket?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 934
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

V speeds -> Saturn V rocket? This one, but a specific V speed is relevant for finishing off thread b
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7987
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the correct V-speed designated with a number? A letter? Letters?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 935
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the correct V-speed designated with a number? This one. No to the rest A letter? Letters?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2351
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

V1? VI=6? Saturn = 6th planet?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 941
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

V1? No VI=6? Very much so, but totally irrelevant Saturn = 6th planet? Also true but equally irrelevant
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7997
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

V2? V3? V4?
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2352
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh so they're rockets? V2 is a rocket, and the Saturn is a rocket. Are we looking for a third rocket, linked (at one remove) to this county in Kansas?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 942
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

V2? This one! V3? V4?

Time for the RECAP

a. sunflower -> Kansas -> Leavenworth county -> something that has its origins in this county (but not a person)

b. Strasbourg -> the Oath -> Hippocratic Oath -> Hippocrates -> the Tree of Hippocrates -> plane tree -> airplane -> airplane speed -> V2 [end of chain]

c. a certain Mr Koch -> Robert Koch -> tuberculosis -> Niels Abel -> Abelian group -> Rings -> SATURN [end of chain] (Saturn V rocket relevant)

Remaining: point a (2-3 levels) and the wrap-up: connection between the three -- both necessary for the $poyler

Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8006
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, Woodworm seems to have nailed the connection (rockets), but still working on Leavenworth county - are we looking for a product? Something manufactured? A toy? A food?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 944
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, Woodworm seems to have nailed the connection (rockets), but still working on Leavenworth county - are we looking for a product? Yes Something manufactured? No A toy? No A food? Edible, anyway

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A drink?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 945
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A drink? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8053
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A normally inedible product that has been made edible? Like edible paper?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 946
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A normally inedible product that has been made edible? No, it is edible and eaten frequently Like edible paper? So no to this
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8059
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it chewing gum? Something else that is typically chewed? But not considered a food?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 947
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it chewing gum? Something else that is typically chewed? But not considered a food? No to all. A potential BLOOPER from my part: it is actually food -- maybe because I don't like it too much prevented me from saying a straight 'yes' to the food part
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8065
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a health food? Tofu?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 948
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a health food? I don't know what this is Tofu? No, tofu is man-made, what we are looking for is not
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8067
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a fruit? Vegetable? Candy? Snack food?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 949
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a fruit? This one! No to the others.Vegetable? Candy? Snack food?

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just one fruit? Anything to do with this guy? here
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 950
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just one fruit? One type relevant Anything to do with this guy? Yes indeed, well done. The Stayman apple is what we were looking for.

From now it should be easy... only two leaps left to end this last chain
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 951
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've totally missed this post yesterday. My apologies Woodworm

Oh so they're rockets? Yes V2 is a rocket, and the Saturn is a rocket. Indeed Are we looking for a third rocket, linked (at one remove) to this county in Kansas? No third rocket in this thread, though
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8074
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So are we looking for something involving Stayman? Apples? Apple -> Macintosh? Computers? iPod?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 952
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So are we looking for something involving Stayman? This one, none of the rest Apples? Apple -> Macintosh? Computers? iPod?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8078
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Checkers?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 953
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Checkers? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8079
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any other fruits relevant? His work in horticulture? The Smithsonian?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 954
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any other fruits relevant? His work in horticulture? The Smithsonian? No to all. No fruits are relevant any more. Only Stayman. As you know, google is allowed and encouraged
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8081
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something about his personal life? Other business? A town?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 955
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something about his personal life? Other business? A town? No to all
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8093
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Education?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 956
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Education? No. You were closer with the checkers question
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8095
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a hobby of his relevant?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 957
Posted on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a hobby of his relevant? We do not need to find more of Dr. Joseph Stayman other that we already know
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2353
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2010 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two clubs?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 959
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2010 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two clubs? No, but of course we are looking for an alternative to the Stayman convention
Woodworm (Woodworm)

Post Number: 2355
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2010 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jacoby transfers? Baron?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 961
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2010 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Time for the usual end-of-day RECAP:

a. sunflower -> Kansas -> Leavenworth county -> Stayman apples -> Stayman bridge convention -> ? (Two easy steps left here)

b. Strasbourg -> the Oath -> Hippocratic Oath -> Hippocrates -> the Tree of Hippocrates -> plane tree -> airplane -> airplane speed -> V2 [end of chain] (V2 rocket relevant)

c. a certain Mr Koch -> Robert Koch -> tuberculosis -> Niels Abel -> Abelian group -> Rings -> SATURN [end of chain] (Saturn V rocket relevant)

Thread 'a' and 'connection' (obvious by now) remaining to be solved.

Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 962
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2010 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jacoby transfers? Baron? This one ... Only one step left
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8143
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2010 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Red Baron? Which would make me think of Snoopy? Didn't one of the Apollo missions or something name one of their modules Snoopy?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 963
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Red Baron? Which would make me think of Snoopy? Didn't one of the Apollo missions or something name one of their modules Snoopy? You're right, Snoopy was the name of the LM of Apollo 10, but this is not relevant. Our last step in this chain does not involve rockets, planets or anything like this, only a YOPISHLY synonim to the word "baron".

Of course, since this is the last step in the last chain, you can start guessing the connection between the three.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8165
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Baron - another royal title? Duke? Earl? Count? Lord?
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 965
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Baron - another royal title? Duke? Earl? Count? Lord? No, think of a baron in another language
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8185
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Etymology of "baron" relevant?
Woubit (Woubit)
Username: Woubit

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Somewhat late to this, but the name of Wernher Magnus Maximilian Freiherr [Baron in German] von Braun comes to mind. Since he worked for the Germans on the V2 and for the Americans on the Saturn V, he may or may not have something to do with the puzzle. Whether or not he did, you may enjoy watching this.
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 967
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Etymology of "baron" relevant? No

Somewhat late to this, but the name of Wernher Magnus Maximilian Freiherr [Baron in German] von Braun comes to mind. Since he worked for the Germans on the V2 and for the Americans on the Saturn V, he may or may not have something to do with the puzzle. Whether or not he did, you may enjoy watching this. Nice piece.

******* SPOILER *******

And of course, what links together a sunflower (Freiherr), the town of Strasbourg (V2 rocket) and a certain Mr. Koch (Saturn V rocket) is the famous Wernher Magnus Maximilian Freiherr von Braun (1912 - 1977).

Thanks to all who participated and to woubit for revealing the connection.

Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8218
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brilliant puzzle!

And I definitely enjoyed the Tom Lehrer piece. Gotta love good old-fashioned satire.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: