[gregoryuconn] WWW Mock Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2010 » [gregoryuconn] WWW Mock « Previous Next »

Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 215
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 4:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This evening, I mocked a group of female college students and they started flirting with me. Explain.

Note: This is a true story, except that only one flirted with me.

Post Number: 220
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clarification so this doesn't make me sound like a lady's man posting my success stories: I mocked them with the deliberate intent of annoying them. Not with getting them to flirt with me.
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 3588
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you mock: something they: did? Wore? Had? Were? Resembled? Did you know why they started flirting with you? Was it as direct result of you mocking them? Was it the way you did it? Did they misunderstand the mockery as something else? Did they think you were flirting with them? Relevant why you wanted to annoy them?

Post Number: 221
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you mock: something they: did? this is closest Wore? Had? Were? Resembled? Did you know why they started flirting with you? Yes Was it as direct result of you mocking them? Yes Was it the way you did it? I'm not sure what you mean by this... Did they misunderstand the mockery as something else? Yes Did they think you were flirting with them? possibly Relevant why you wanted to annoy them? absolutely
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 2253
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they assume, from something you said, that you had large quantities of cash? Or that you were a personal acquaintance of someone sexy? Or that you could secure them a modelling contract? Or a place at Harvard?
Potato (Potato)
Username: Potato

Post Number: 146
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you say that whatever they had done was great (as in "great") and they didn't get the sarcasm?

Post Number: 223
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they assume, from something you said, that you had large quantities of cash? Or that you were a personal acquaintance of someone sexy? Or that you could secure them a modelling contract? Or a place at Harvard? None of these
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 8:22 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Did you say that whatever they had done was great (as in "great") and they didn't get the sarcasm? No, but you're somewhat OTRT
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3594
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had you interacted with them before this? Had they annoyed you? Relevant which college they were from? Sports relevant? Their field of study relevant? Did you say something sarcastic? Was the mocking purely verbal? Or did you do something relevant? Relevant how you responded to the flirting?

Post Number: 226
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had you interacted with them before this? No Had they annoyed you? Yes... Good question. Relevant which college they were from? The fact that they were from UConn may have helped a little, but not much. Sports relevant? possibly a very little bit, in relation to the fact that they were from UConn. Their field of study relevant? No Did you say something sarcastic? Somewhat sarcastic, sarcastic in the sense that it wasn't an actual serious statement, but more mocking than sarcasm Was the mocking purely verbal? Or did you do something relevant? It was my words and some aspect related to them Relevant how you responded to the flirting? Not at all.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 7376
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the recent recruitment scandal relevant? Were you annoyed by the somthing they had done? The girls - were they cheerleaders? From the marching band? Did they flirt with you because of what you said? Did it have an unintended meaning of inviting flirtation?

Post Number: 230
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 4:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the recent recruitment scandal relevant? you mean the basketball scandal? Not at all. Were you annoyed by the somthing they had done? Yes The girls - were they cheerleaders? From the marching band? Irrelevant, assume no. Did they flirt with you because of what you said? yes Did it have an unintended meaning of inviting flirtation? If you were an idiot (or had been drinking, as they had been most likely) then yes, it could.
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3596
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had they intended to annoy you? To annoy anyone? Were they noisy? Is their appearance relevant? Clothing? Relevant where this happened?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7386
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they think you were playing hard-to-get? Acting tough? Relevant at all?

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had they intended to annoy you? To annoy anyone? probably not, but irrelevant Were they noisy? yes Is their appearance relevant? Clothing? Relevant where this happened? no to these
Did they think you were playing hard-to-get? Acting tough? Relevant at all? no to all
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7394
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the setting relevant? Were you indoors? Outdoors? Were there more people there than just you and the girls? Many more? Were they being overly talkative/chatty? Shouting? Cheering? Were they being noisy verbally? Or through other actions?

Post Number: 238
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the setting relevant? Were you indoors? Outdoors? irrelevant Were there more people there than just you and the girls? irrelevant, but no Many more? Were they being overly talkative/chatty? yes, but it's not just that... Shouting? Cheering? None of these though Were they being noisy verbally? this Or through other actions?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7401
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they talking all at once? Talking like stereotypical college girls? Is what (or whom) they were talking about relevant?

Post Number: 241
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they talking all at once? To some extent, yes Talking like stereotypical college girls? What do you mean by this? Is what (or whom) they were talking about relevant? no
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7414
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clarification - were they just blabbering on and on?
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 392
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Balin gets a big old :-P for that one, as I take offense on behalf of my gender -- I would suggest not implying this to any females you meet at college. Much to learn about the world, you have, grasshoppa ;-)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7419
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I SAID "stereotypical," emphasis on the "stereo"....

Post Number: 247
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clarification - were they just blabbering on and on? There's more to it.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7429
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they talking loudly? Even though there was no need to? Had they been talking for a long time? In the same place? Were you in the same place as them for a long time? For the entire conversation?

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2010 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they talking loudly? Yes, but there's more. Even though there was no need to? Probably, but it wasn't just the talking I was mocking Had they been talking for a long time? I wouldn't know because In the same place? Were you in the same place as them for a long time? I was walking down a path that they were approaching. I could hear them (talking and some other part that you have yet to find which is the major component) and proceeded to mock them. So no. For the entire conversation? see above
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7432
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they doing something else annoying? Involving a certain body part? Snapping gum? Chewing loudly?

Post Number: 255
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they doing something else annoying? Yes Involving a certain body part? Well it was verbal, so that would involve the mouth and vocal cords... Snapping gum? Chewing loudly? None of these
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7445
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Singing? Off-key? And loudly?

Post Number: 265
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Singing? Off-key? And loudly? No, although they were doing what they were doing quite loudly. Hint: verbally may not be the best word to use. What they were doing was definitely vocal (as it involved making sound using the vocal chords) but it may or may not qualify as verbal (while they were speaking, this is not the main point.)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7452
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they screaming? Gargling? Making animal sounds?

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they screaming? Gargling? Making animal sounds? None of these.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7459
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they screeching? Were the sounds directed at each other? At no one in particular? At you? Did they know you were there before you mocked them?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they calling you Mr. Coke? *innocent look*

Post Number: 275
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they screeching? No, but it sounded somewhat like it, which should be a hint. Were the sounds directed at each other? this one At no one in particular? At you? Did they know you were there before you mocked them? irrelevant, they may have.
Were they calling you Mr. Coke? *innocent look* No. :-)

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they singing off key? Imitating someone singing off key?

(I'm glad they weren't calling you Mr. Coke. That's what WE get to call you. :-) Speaking of which, my latest puzzle's been $poyled. Check it out ;-) )
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7470
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they acting something out?

Post Number: 279
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they singing off key? Imitating someone singing off key? No (already answered)

(I'm glad they weren't calling you Mr. Coke. That's what WE get to call you. :-) Speaking of which, my latest puzzle's been $poyled. Check it out ;-) ) I will

Were they acting something out? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7510
Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they doing something relevant with their bodies? Related to what they were "saying"? Relevant what they were wearing?

Post Number: 286
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they doing something relevant with their bodies? Unless you count making the noise/sound they were making, no. And as a hint, it's a very simple noise/sound to think of. Related to what they were "saying"? The topic of their conversation is irrelevant. What is relevant is the sound they were making while talking, and if what I just said doesn't make it obvious to at least some extent what they were doing, them quite frankly you're all idiots. Relevant what they were wearing? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7550
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Laughing?

Post Number: 296
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Laughing? Yes, more specifically....
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7559
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Laughing loudly? In an extremely annoying tone?

Post Number: 299
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Laughing loudly? In an extremely annoying tone? Both of these. Slightly more to it, which caused me to make a comment (as deduced above) which they misinterpreted and flirted with me.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7565
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they laugh for a long time? In this loud annoying tone?

Post Number: 303
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they laugh for a long time? irrelevant In this loud annoying tone? Absolutely! Now how did I respond that caused them to flirt?

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you imitate their laughter?

Post Number: 319
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you imitate their laughter? Not as much "imitating" as mocking, but yes. Now find out exactly how I mocked it and how that caused them to flirt with me (the second should be somewhat obvious once you get the first)

Post Number: 320
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And as a hint, the title is relevant somewhat.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7688
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you mock it by making a lateral puzzle out of it? Something involving the Internet? Did you post about it on Facebook? Record a video of it and post it on YouTube?

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you mock it by making a lateral puzzle out of it? Something involving the Internet? Did you post about it on Facebook? Record a video of it and post it on YouTube? No to all (well the first one is true, but not the solution.)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7713
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the way you mocked it involve computers at all?

Post Number: 334
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the way you mocked it involve computers at all? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 7801
Posted on Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you mock it by talking to them? Saying something? About them? About their laughter?

Post Number: 337
Posted on Monday, November 08, 2010 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you mock it by talking to them? Saying something? About them? About their laughter? Yes to all, though I didn't directly say something about their laughter, rather what I said implied that I was mocking it.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8249
Posted on Monday, November 08, 2010 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you laugh back at them? Did you say something about all of them? about one of them?

Post Number: 338
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you laugh back at them? Yes, but there's more to it. Did you say something about all of them? Yope about one of them? The statement applied to all of them.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8313
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you speak back to them in the aforementioned loud annoying tone?

Post Number: 339
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you speak back to them in the aforementioned loud annoying tone? Yes, but it's not just HOW I spoke to them.... (Although the loud annoying "laugh" tone will help you figure out the other relevant part.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8374
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you say something that referred to the tone? Did you directly mention laughing? The tone of the laughter?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8375
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you say something that referred to the tone? Did you directly mention laughing? The tone of the laughter?

Post Number: 345
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you say something that referred to the tone? Did you directly mention laughing? The tone of the laughter? What I said referred to the tone of the laughter, but not directly.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8383
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you say just one sentence to them? More? Did you go up to them and say the thing? Shout it at them from where you were standing?

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you say just one sentence to them? More? Either one or two, it could be understood as either. Did you go up to them and say the thing? Shout it at them from where you were standing? They were walking by me as I said it to them.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8392
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the statement a question? An exclamation? An ordinary sentence?

Post Number: 350
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the statement a question? An exclamation? This is closest. An ordinary sentence?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8404
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you shout something at them? In that high pitched tone?

Could you please recap?

Post Number: 356
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you shout something at them? In that high pitched tone? Yes, although it's the tone of the laugh that this is referring to.

Could you please recap?

I was walking by a group of girls (about my age, they were college students) who were laughing in an extremely annoying tone. I mocked their laughter in a way that qualifies somewhat as imitating but is more a mock. I said a short statement that could either be one (compound) sentence or two shorter sentences, in the same annoying laughing tone that they were speaking in. Although I intended it in an entirely mocking way, they perceived what I said as flirting and started to flirt back. If I'm missing anything that we determined, chime in.

As a hint, what I said to them is a well-known quote.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8443
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the quote from Shakespeare? Is it a proverb?

If neither of those, is the quote originally from [LTPF list of centuries]? From a form of entertainment? A play? TV show? Movie? Book?

Post Number: 359
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the quote from Shakespeare? Is it a proverb? No to all

If neither of those, is the quote originally from [LTPF list of centuries]? 20th From a form of entertainment? A play? TV show? Movie? This Book? The film was based on a far lesser-known book. I don't know if the quote was in the book.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8458
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 3:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the movie an action film? Animated? Drama? Comedy? Western? Romance? Silent? Black-and-white? Christmas? Thriller? Mystery?

Post Number: 360
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the movie an action film? Animated? Drama? this is closest Comedy? Western? Romance? Silent? Black-and-white? I believe a portion of it was. Christmas? Thriller? Mystery? no to rest
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8471
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the film from [LTPF list of decades]?

Post Number: 364
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the film from [LTPF list of decades]? The original is from the 1930s. It has been remade many times since then.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8498
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Wizard of Oz?

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bet that's it...either that or Gone with the Wind, which I've never seen, but then Greg would've said something about romance, probably.

"I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too?"
"There's no place like home?"
"Auntie Em, Auntie Em!"
"In the vernacular of the peasantry, looks like a whopper!"
"Almira Gulch, just because you own half the county doesn't mean you have the power to run the rest of us! For twenty-five years I've been dying to tell you what I think of you, and now...well, being a Christian woman, I can't say it!"
"I've sent a little insect along to take the fight out of them..."
"You stay out of this, Glinda, or I'll fix you as well!"
"Helping the little lady along, are we, my fine gentlemen? Well, stay away from her! Or I'll stuff a mattress with you! And you...I'll use you for a beehive!"
"I had an Auntie Em once..."
"He's the horse of a different color you've heard tell about."

(All right...enough quoting. And by the way, I did not use IMDb at all, I swear it. Just ask my Tortiesibling...for THIS movie, I do not NEED IMDb...*grin*)

Post Number: 367
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Wizard of Oz? Yes!
I bet that's it...either that or Gone with the Wind, which I've never seen, but then Greg would've said something about romance, probably. Never seen Gone with the Wind, except when when I was 9 and I wanted to eat something and my Mom was watching it in the kitchen on AMC and refused to turn it off. So I endured it for 5 minutes, and my mom cried at the line "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn". That's all I remember.

"I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too?" Yes! Should be pretty obvious why they thought I was flirting with them now (keep in mind they were quite probably drunk, or at least had been drinking somewhat. A sober, rational person would likely not make the same mistake
"There's no place like home?"
"Auntie Em, Auntie Em!"
"In the vernacular of the peasantry, looks like a whopper!"
"Almira Gulch, just because you own half the county doesn't mean you have the power to run the rest of us! For twenty-five years I've been dying to tell you what I think of you, and now...well, being a Christian woman, I can't say it!"
"I've sent a little insect along to take the fight out of them..."
"You stay out of this, Glinda, or I'll fix you as well!"
"Helping the little lady along, are we, my fine gentlemen? Well, stay away from her! Or I'll stuff a mattress with you! And you...I'll use you for a beehive!"
"I had an Auntie Em once..."
"He's the horse of a different color you've heard tell about."

(All right...enough quoting. And by the way, I did not use IMDb at all, I swear it. Just ask my Tortiesibling...for THIS movie, I do not NEED IMDb...*grin*)

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They (or she, as it may be) thought you were calling them pretty?

Post Number: 368
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They (or she, as it may be) thought you were calling them pretty? Precisely!

Time for good ole,
****SPOILER****
The girls were laughing in a horrible laugh that sounded like a witch's cackle. So, doing my Wicked Witch of the West impersonation, I cackled back "I'll get You My Pretty, and Your Little dog too". One of the girls (in real life) or all of them (for this puzzle) believed I was in fact calling her (them) pretty (and was flirting with her/them), and possibly that the "little dog too" was a reference to UConn Huskies (I forget her exact words, but she mentioned the school sports in some way too) and hence flirted back. Good job everyone.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: