[Balin] Windmills of Your Mind - The ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2010 » [Balin] Windmills of Your Mind - The Great Adventure, Part II « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 8167
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It seems like you've been done this before...

You've just completed the puzzle behind the "THIS WAY" sign, and have passed through the door to the "Hitler" room.

But you can't shake that feeling that you've done this many times before - you just can't explain how.

In any case, you figure out that "Hitler" becomes "WORSTHUMAN", and are about to put those letters into the plexiglass, when suddenly, you see a sealed envelope on the floor. It reads, "To the adventurer," and it feels like there's a note inside it.

This seems...oddly...different. What to do?
Whirligig (Whirligig)
Username: Whirligig

Post Number: 452
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Read it. :P
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8180
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Read it. :P

You tear open the envelope and read the note inside:

To the adventurer:

If you've found this, that means I was able to break the loop. However, if you keep doing things the way you've done them before, you will remain trapped in the loop.

I'm still on the outside, and I could only get into the loop once. However, to completely break out of the loop, you have to remember "reversal." If you remember this, you will be able to get out. Starting now.

If the loop is broken, everything will change when you return, and you will be able to completely escape. But you will still need to remember. I will help as much as I can without being found out.

Brigitte

Hmmm...that mysterious Brigitte again...
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, "reversal" isn't precisely a bell, but it seems to signal some sort of beginning. Maybe I can apply Sebald Code, starting from "now".

If when to to I...no, that's gibberish. Maybe it's not every eight words, but I have a feeling there's something hidden in that message somehow...Being a Lemony Snicket fan rather than a cryptic crosswords one doesn't always help on here...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8182
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, "reversal" isn't precisely a bell, but it seems to signal some sort of beginning. Maybe I can apply Sebald Code, starting from "now". It seems so much simpler than that - "reversal" is probably just doing something backwards...hmmm. And "starting now" - that might mean we have to reverse something...right now?

If when to to I...no, that's gibberish. Maybe it's not every eight words, but I have a feeling there's something hidden in that message somehow...Being a Lemony Snicket fan rather than a cryptic crosswords one doesn't always help on here... I'd forgotten about those books!
Whirligig (Whirligig)

Post Number: 453
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What was the last thing you did? Try un-doing it, if possible. Also, try forming NAMUHTSROW out of the letters.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8186
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What was the last thing you did? That would be going through the door, but... Try un-doing it, if possible. ...it has closed behind you, so it cannot be undone.

Also, try forming NAMUHTSROW out of the letters. You try that, and pull the lever on the box. Sure enough, the letters drop, but this time you feel a rush of wind come through the room. Something has definitely changed, but...you can't tell just what.

In any case, the door opens, and after some time in the next room, you solve the pillar puzzle, opening the door to the room with the big red button in it. All you have with you is the note from Brigitte. But that button - dare you push it...?

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It doesn't happen to say "DO NOT PRESS" on it, does it?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8193
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It doesn't happen to say "DO NOT PRESS" on it, does it? No, it does not. However, if we don't push it, we'll never know what happens next...but you still have a bad feeling....

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe if you very gently poked it so you're not pressing hard...that might work?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8199
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe if you very gently poked it so you're not pressing hard...that might work? Even poking the button causes it to press all the way, and sure enough, the floor opens up, and you begin to fall...and fall....

Sometime while you fall, you black out, but land hard. Something jabs into your thigh, but fortunately, you didn't whack your head.

You open your eyes - whoa, this is weird.

You seem to be inside a giant cube. Each side, including the one you're standing on, has a large pyramid in the center. Each pyramid has a round hole at the top, and from each side of each pyramid extends a pathway - more like a sidewalk, actually - to each adjacent side of the cube. In this way, each pyramid is has a path leading to four other pyramids.

In any case, every other part of this cube (besides the pathways and pyramids) is grassy. Oh, and there's a bone - about the size of a human femur - floating in the exact center of the cube. Weird.

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Um...well, okay. Exactly how large are these pyramids and this cube? Are we talking Great Pyramid of Giza-size?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8205
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Um...well, okay. Exactly how large are these pyramids and this cube? Are we talking Great Pyramid of Giza-size? No, not that big. Each side of the cube looks to be about a 50-by-50 foot square. The pyramids are centered on each side of the cube, and have a square base, about 15 feet on each side. They also appear to be about 12 feet high.

Just for kicks, and even though the pyramids have flat sides, you try walking up the side of this one, and find that it is easy - in fact, gravity appears to shift in your favor, so that walking up the side is as easy as walking on an ordinary flat surface. Odd.

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...Oookay. Things are getting weirder and weirder.

So these pyramids have a round hole at the top? I presume this must have been your entrance...oh wait, never presume or assume ANYTHING on the LTPF, especially with Balin...nevermind. Was it the entrance? Is there another way in or out? Is there some way, as things seem to be antigravity here, to check out the holes in the tops of the other pyramids?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8207
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...Oookay. Things are getting weirder and weirder. Hee hee... =)

So these pyramids have a round hole at the top? Correct I presume this must have been your entrance...oh wait, never presume or assume ANYTHING on the LTPF, especially with Balin...nevermind. Sage advice =) Was it the entrance? Not at all - the hole is not very big. Maybe a couple of inches in diameter, at most. Is there another way in or out? It doesn't seem that way. Is there some way, as things seem to be antigravity here, to check out the holes in the tops of the other pyramids? Well, if gravity doesn't apply, you could probably get there by walking. But from here, they all appear to be the same size.

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 3:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm. Would the bone fit in the holes? If you look down the holes, can you see anything? Hear anything? Smell anything? Is there any other opening in any of the pyramids or any part of the cube?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8211
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm. Would the bone fit in the holes? It probably would, but it's still floating in the center of the cube. You'll need to find a way to get it. If you look down the holes, can you see anything? Hear anything? Smell anything? Nothing. Is there any other opening in any of the pyramids or any part of the cube? Nope.

Something odd just happened - you could swear you just heard a voice whisper "Caesar...." And what exactly was it that jabbed into your thigh when you landed?

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blasted lack of gravity not letting us...wait, if there really is no gravity, how are we sticking to the pyramids? What are we wearing, anyway? (Well, "I", but you know what I mean, Balin. And is our "person" a H/A/M, H/A/F, or do you care?)

Caesar?

(At first I assumed it was the point of a pyramid. Is there a knife somewhere hereabouts? Brutus?)

"Et tu, Brute?" Try saying that.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8213
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blasted lack of gravity not letting us...wait, if there really is no gravity, how are we sticking to the pyramids? Well, there's gravity, but it appears to be adapting to whichever way you decide to walk. What are we wearing, anyway? (Well, "I", but you know what I mean, Balin. And is our "person" a H/A/M, H/A/F, or do you care?) You're the same as from the first adventure - male, early 20s, 5-foot-6 or 7, gray Patriots T-shirt, red gym shorts with pockets.

Caesar? Yes, "Caesar". Not sure what it means, though.

(At first I assumed it was the point of a pyramid. Is there a knife somewhere hereabouts? Brutus?) Not at first glance, no.

"Et tu, Brute?" Try saying that. Nothing happens.

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Julius Caesar?
Augustus Caesar?
C section?
Caesar salad?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8216
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Julius Caesar?
Augustus Caesar?
C section?
Caesar salad? None of these, apparently - maybe you'd better work on this bit later.

You're still curious - just what was it that jabbed into your thigh when you landed?

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check to see if you've been wounded. Is anything attached to your thigh? Are you bleeding? Is there anything, anything at all, in this room besides the pyramids, grass, paths and bone? Look through all the grass CAREFULLY to make sure there's nothing hiding. I'm becoming worried about a potential "snake in the grass"...please tell me we haven't been bitten by a poisonous snake...(well, if we have, then tell me we have, but you know...) Is it possible to die in this puzzle?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8225
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check to see if you've been wounded. You check your thigh - no wound. Is anything attached to your thigh? You pat your thigh, and realize there is something in your pocket. You reach into your pocket and pull out a Rubik's cube. Interesting. And the orange side is blinking on and off - weird. Are you bleeding? Nope. Is there anything, anything at all, in this room besides the pyramids, grass, paths and bone? Just you. Look through all the grass CAREFULLY to make sure there's nothing hiding. There's nothing in the grass anywhere. I'm becoming worried about a potential "snake in the grass"...please tell me we haven't been bitten by a poisonous snake...(well, if we have, then tell me we have, but you know...) No snakes. Is it possible to die in this puzzle? No, you cannot die. Nor will you be able to die in Part 3.
Whirligig (Whirligig)

Post Number: 463
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aha. Maybe the sides of the cube have to do with the sides of our cube ...

Try moving to another side of the big cube. Check the Rubik's Cube again.

Try twisting one of the small cube's sides slightly. Does the big cube move at all?

The cube is in a solved state, right?

Will we eventually encounter a Megaminx?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8232
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aha. Maybe the sides of the cube have to do with the sides of our cube ... Ooh, good thought.

Try moving to another side of the big cube. Check the Rubik's Cube again. You walk along the left path and head up the left side. Sure enough, not only does the gravity appear to shift in your favor again (so the left side feels like the bottom side), but the yellow side of the cube is now blinking.

Try twisting one of the small cube's sides slightly. Does the big cube move at all? Oddly, none of the sides of the small cube will shift.

The cube is in a solved state, right? Yes.

Will we eventually encounter a Megaminx? Given that I don't know what a Megaminx is, no.
Whirligig (Whirligig)

Post Number: 466
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=megaminx&l=1

Can you open up the cube? Is there a bone inside?

What happens if you rotate the small cube in your hand?

The most relevant Caesar I can think of would probably be the Caesar cipher, but I don't know what the plaintext, key, or cipertext could be ... NAMUHTSROW doesn't yield any results. Hmm.

Do the pyramids have entrances? Are all of the sides identical?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8238
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=megaminx&l=1 Good one. But the answer is still No; we will not encounter one of these.

Can you open up the cube? No, it appears to be unopenable. If that even is a word. Is there a bone inside? No.

What happens if you rotate the small cube in your hand? Nothing happens. You try tossing it in the air - still nothing happens. The yellow side is still blinking.

The most relevant Caesar I can think of would probably be the Caesar cipher, but I don't know what the plaintext, key, or cipertext could be ... NAMUHTSROW doesn't yield any results. Hmm. Hmmm indeed...this might be a good thing to hold in the back of your mind.

Do the pyramids have entrances? No - they only have that small hole in the top. Are all of the sides identical? Yes.
Whirligig (Whirligig)

Post Number: 468
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the sides identical? If so, we now know how to determine which side we're on.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8307
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the sides identical? Yes, they are... If so, we now know how to determine which side we're on. Excellent thought! It indeed appears that this Rubik's cube is also a map of sorts.

Now, how can we get that bone?
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I take it you cannot simply jump high enough from the apex of one of the pyramids to grab the bone?

And speaking of that, let me just clarify that the apexes (apices?) of the pyramids point toward the center, so the pyramids are within the cube with their bases facing out against the walls? and furthermore, that the sides of the pyramids' bases are parallel to the edges of the cube?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8341
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I take it you cannot simply jump high enough from the apex of one of the pyramids to grab the bone? You give that a try, but come up well short of the bone.

And speaking of that, let me just clarify that the apexes (apices?) of the pyramids point toward the center, so the pyramids are within the cube with their bases facing out against the walls? and furthermore, that the sides of the pyramids' bases are parallel to the edges of the cube? Both of these observations are correct.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and just to think out loud, maybe inserting the bone into one of the pyramids will unlock the corresponding 3x3 face of the Rubik's cube to rotate...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8342
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and just to think out loud, maybe inserting the bone into one of the pyramids will unlock the corresponding 3x3 face of the Rubik's cube to rotate... Maybe, or it might do something else...you're not sure. But first, you need to find a way to actually get a hold of the bone, or at least move it to the ground on one side of the cube.

Post Number: 1484
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you throw the Rubik's cube at the bone, maybe you can knock it down. (If this is a bad idea, don't do it, but I'm just thinking out loud here)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8344
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you throw the Rubik's cube at the bone, maybe you can knock it down. (If this is a bad idea, don't do it, but I'm just thinking out loud here) That sounds like a rather good idea, so you toss the cube at the bone, and hit it squarely. The cube falls back into your hands, while the bone sails into the grass on the opposite side of the cube. You're on the yellow side right now, so the bone has landed on the white side.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So go over to the white side and put the bone in the hole of the "white" pyramid (it's probably not white itself, but we need a shorthand way to call it or else instructions will get very cumbersome).
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8347
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So go over to the white side and put the bone in the hole of the "white" pyramid (it's probably not white itself, but we need a shorthand way to call it or else instructions will get very cumbersome). You insert the bone into the hole at the top of the white pyramid. Suddenly, the pyramid vibrates, and you hear a noise below you. The bone is ejected from the pyramid, and it lands in your hands, as the top of the pyramid closes to a point.

You walk back down the pyramid, and notice that large screens have appeared on two sides of the pyramid.

To help with navigation, here is the original orientation of the large cube (using the colors as indicated by the Rubik's cube), from when you first landed:

You landed on the orange side.
To your left was the yellow side.
In front of you was the green side.
To your right was the white side.
Behind you was the blue side.
Above you was the red side.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything being shown on the screens? And which sides of the cube do they face (orange, green, blue, or red)?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8350
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything being shown on the screens? And which sides of the cube do they face (orange, green, blue, or red)? The first screen, facing the red side, reads:

Are you my mommy? - CA
Can you escape? - I hope not...ha ha
Avast, ye scurvy dogs? - Walk the plank!
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest? - CA
Will it ever end? - CA
Time is on my side? - Or is it?

The bottom part of this screen is a touch-screen QWERTY keyboard.

The other screen, facing the orange side, is currently blank.
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2022
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you still have the bone? Can you go insert it in a pyramid on another side? If so, do it. How about the orange pyramid?

Also, please clarify the location of the screens. Are they on the wall? If on the wall, what is their location relative to the pyramids? On the pyramid? Have the walls with screens actually become a screen? How large are the screens. I guess I'm having a hard time visualizing how you can have a screen on a wall when you also have a giant pyramid on it.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8357
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you still have the bone? Can you go insert it in a pyramid on another side? If so, do it. How about the orange pyramid? The orange pyramid shakes, the bone ejects, and the screens appear.

Again, one of the screens (facing the blue side) is blank. The other one (facing the green side) also has a touch-screen QWERTY keyboard on the bottom, but this one reads:

Blue moon of barrel

Three-tier

Also, please clarify the location of the screens. Are they on the wall? If on the wall, what is their location relative to the pyramids? On the pyramid? Have the walls with screens actually become a screen? How large are the screens. The screens are on the sides of the pyramids. They're about 5 feet by 5 feet each, slightly lower than the exact center of each side.I guess I'm having a hard time visualizing how you can have a screen on a wall when you also have a giant pyramid on it. Sorry for the confusion.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2023
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Type each of the following words into the keyboard by the screen on the orange side:
Blue moon --> Once? Rare? Full? Beer? Lager? Ale? Song?
Barrel --> Cask? Keg? [Can anyone think of something that is a synonymn of barreling into something?]

Does anything change?

Into the keyboard on the white side, I can't figure out any pattern to the answers yet. Try typing more questions and see if it gives you more answers:

What do I do now?
What is your name?
What is your favorite color?
What is your favorite?
Which is your favorite?

Put the bone into the holes on the pyramids on each of the remaining sides and describe what changes each time.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8377
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A couple of things before I answer these questions - it is irrelevant which side of the pyramid each screen is on, but it is relevant which side of the cube the screens are on. For example, it's irrel that the screens on the white pyramid face the red and orange sides, but it is relevant that a) the screens are on opposite sides of the pyramid (all of the pyramids will have the screens on opposite sides) and b) that these particular screens are on the white side of the cube.

I will answer all questions asked about the "pyramid puzzles" in purple.

All right, on to the adventure...

Type each of the following words into the keyboard by the screen on the orange side:

Blue moon --> Once? Rare? Full? Beer? Lager? Ale? Song?
Barrel --> Cask? Keg? [Can anyone think of something that is a synonymn of barreling into something?] You try all of these, and the screen for the "white" puzzle reads: No to all

Maybe it's not necessarily synonyms - after all, multi-tiered idiomuzzles don't always use synonyms for their connections...

Does anything change? See above

Into the keyboard on the white side, I can't figure out any pattern to the answers yet. Try typing more questions and see if it gives you more answers: On the orange pyramid, you type these questions, and the screen displays the following answers:

What do I do now? You try to escape. But you won't escape. Never...ha ha
What is your name? Sir Lancelot of Camelot
What is your favorite color? Blue. No, wait...
What is your favorite? Not you, that's for sure.
Which is your favorite? How dare you ask me that!

Put the bone into the holes on the pyramids on each of the remaining sides and describe what changes each time.

Each pyramid yields a screen with a puzzle and keyboard, along with a blank screen on the pyramid side opposite it.

The yellow pyramid reads:

Solve a mystery now? Yes
Stare at me? Everyone
Rigid and firm? Anchorman
The end of the world? First
Origami tomorrow? Test
Nine people are cool? Libel

The green pyramid reads:

Munching on a handful of crackers, the sexton rang the twelve o'clock bell.

The red pyramid reads:

Mother to the newspaper

Two-tier

And lastly, the blue pyramid reads:

"It's taken an infinity for the four PM El train to arrive!" said the sick man.

Oh, and you still have the bone and Rubik's cube.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8418
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You decide to sit down and think.

-You've got six lateral thinking puzzles to solve - two rulebreakers, two regular idiomuzzles, and two multi-tiered idiomuzzles.

-You will probably have to solve the puzzles to move onward.

-Judging by the way it responded, the screen will answer questions as if you were actually posting on the LTPF.

So...where to begin?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8430
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To allay any potential fears, none of the "pyramid puzzles" are intended to be very hard; I felt that it would have been imprudent to stick really hard puzzles in the middle of an adventure.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2027
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Type the following into the correct keyboard for each. Describe what, if anything, happens.

red pyramid:
Mother --> Father? Parent? Relative? Boss around? Boss? Rules? Nurturing? Nurture? Pink Floyd? The Wall? Dearest? Dear? Brother? Daughter? Sister? Tongue? Ship? God (as in godmother)? Grand? Hen? Cow? Sow?
newspaper--> magazine? bird cage lining? wrapping paper? red (as in the joke, what's red and black and white all over)? News? Stories? Comics? Funnies? Ads? Journal? Journalism? Herald? Reporter? Times? Sun? Banner?

Blue:
Infinity --> Forever? Eight? Double loop? Symbol?
El --> The? He? L? Elevated rail? Building extension?
Sick --> Ill?

Green:
Crackers --> Wafers? Nuts? Snack? Oyster? Soup? Crazy? Insane? Beaks?
Bell--> ring? ding? dong? silver? alexander? graham? telephone? ringer?

Yellow:
The answers start with the middle letter of the question.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8437
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Type the following into the correct keyboard for each. Describe what, if anything, happens. All right...don't forget, there's still the orange and white pyramids with their puzzles.

red pyramid:
Mother --> Father? Parent? Relative? Boss around? Boss? Rules? Nurturing? Nurture? Pink Floyd? The Wall? Dearest? Dear? Brother? Daughter? Sister? Tongue? Ship? God (as in godmother)? Grand? Hen? Cow? Sow? No to all
newspaper--> magazine? bird cage lining? wrapping paper? red (as in the joke, what's red and black and white all over)? News? Stories? Comics? Funnies? Ads? Journal? Journalism? No to these Herald? Reporter? Times? Sun? Banner? No, but you are looking for a specific newspaper.

Blue:
Infinity --> Forever? Eight? Double loop? Symbol? No
El --> The? This one He? L? Elevated rail? Building extension?
Sick --> Ill? No, but OTRT-ish

"It's taken an infinity for the four PM the train to arrive!" said the sick man.

Green:
Crackers --> Wafers? Nuts? Snack? Oyster? Soup? Crazy? Insane? Beaks? No to all
Bell--> ring? ding? This is close dong? And this is closer; No to rest silver? alexander? graham? telephone? ringer?

Yellow:
The answers start with the middle letter of the question. Correct. The rule is: if the question has an even number of letters, take the two middle ones, and start and end the answer with them. So, for instance, if the question had ten letters, the fifth letter would start the answer, and the sixth letter would end it. If the question has an odd number of letters, start and end the answer with the middle letter. And the answer must be one work, if possible. ~~$p0|L3R~~

Suddenly, the QWERTY keyboard on the yellow screen disappears, and the screen deletes everything except the puzzle statement. You hear a "ping" on the other side of the pyramid, and go around to investigate. The screen that was originally blank now has a touch-screen QWERTY keyboard on its bottom. The main part of the screen is asking for a password, and it gives the hint "color".

That's odd...you just heard that voice say "Caesar" again...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8438
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TYPO BLOOPER: That should say "the answer must be one WORD", not one WORK. Whoops.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8439
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NON-TYPO BLOOPER from my 11/11 post at 12:50 AM: The orange pyramid has the "Blue moon of barrel" MTI, and the white pyramid has the CA rulebreaker. I swapped them in that post. Sorry for the confusion.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2028
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

White:
You can't answer it if it has more than one word starting with the same letter?

Orange:
Blue moon --> cheese? Babe?
Barrel --> gun?

red:
newspaper --> enquirer? examiner? daily?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2029
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One more...
Orange:
Blue moon --> Elvis?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8444
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

White:
You can't answer it if it has more than one word starting with the same letter? No

Orange:
Blue moon --> cheese? Babe? No to both
Barrel --> gun? No

red:
newspaper --> enquirer? examiner? daily? No to all

One more...
Orange:
Blue moon --> Elvis? No

In case anyone's wondering, Google is allowed.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2030
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

red:
newspaper --> constitution?

orange:
barrel --> cracker?

weird, the "more than one word starting with the same letter" rule fits all of your CA answers on that screen so far. Ain't coincidence funny? ;)

On the white screen, let's type some more questions:
Who what when where why?
Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away?
Who are you?
What is your favorite color?
Why is everybody always picking on me?
The first Noel, the angels did say?
Do you like the chicken dance?
Can you do the chicken dance?
Any boy can do everything finely?
Finely everything do can boy any?
Balin?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2031
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

one more
orange:
barrel--> donkey kong?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8451
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

red:
newspaper --> constitution? No

orange:
barrel --> cracker? Yes

Blue moon of cracker

Three-tier

weird, the "more than one word starting with the same letter" rule fits all of your CA answers on that screen so far. Ain't coincidence funny? ;) It sure is =)

On the white screen, let's type some more questions:
Who what when where why? What about "how"?
Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away? CA
Who are you? Who who, who who...
What is your favorite color? Blue again
Why is everybody always picking on me? Michael Brown...
The first Noel, the angels did say? I doubt the shepherds had LTPF experience...
Do you like the chicken dance? Not often
Can you do the chicken dance? Can't everyone?
Any boy can do everything finely? Great - he's insane!
Finely everything do can boy any? Insane, he's grate!
Balin? Who asks for me?

one more
orange:
barrel--> donkey kong? No - see above
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2033
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

White:
Play ball?
Llamas are fun?
Peachy keen?
Do you think I will have this one soon?

orange:
cracker --> Jack? cookie? parrot? polly? want? ritz? townhouse? Keebler? Nabisco? wafer?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8464
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

White:
Play ball? CA
Llamas are fun? CA
Peachy keen? CA
Do you think I will have this one soon? CA

And yes, I do think you will have that one soon.

orange:
cracker --> Jack? cookie? parrot? polly? want? ritz? townhouse? Keebler? Nabisco? wafer? No to all
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2034
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

White:
You can't answer it if there's a double letter in the question.

Orange:
Cracker --> white? white trash? redneck? I hesitate to ask these, but have run out of other ideas...sorry if anyone is offended
nutcracker?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8478
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

White:
You can't answer it if there's a double letter in the question. Correct - $P0|L3R

Again, everything on this screen is deleted except for the puzzle statement, and the other screen displays a touch-screen keyboard and asks for a password, with the hint "color".

Hang on - you just heard that voice say "Caesar" again.

Orange:
Cracker --> white? white trash? redneck? I hesitate to ask these, but have run out of other ideas...sorry if anyone is offended
nutcracker? No to all.

HINT: It was mentioned in the list of "cracker" guesses for the green screen.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2036
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh! Doh! I didn't quite register that there were two different cracker clues. Thanks.

For the orange:
Cracker --> Nuts? Snack? Oyster? Soup? Crazy? Insane? Beak?

For the green:
Crackers --> Jacks? cookies? parrot? polly? want? ritz? townhouse? Keebler? Nabisco? wafers?
crackers -->
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8487
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For the orange:
Cracker --> Nuts? Snack? Oyster? This one Soup? Crazy? Insane? Beak?

Blue moon of oyster

Three-tier

For the green:
Crackers --> Jacks? cookies? parrot? polly? want? ritz? townhouse? Keebler? Nabisco? wafers? None of these

HINT: You're looking for a specific brand.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2038
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For the orange:
Oyster --> Clam? Mollusk? Pearl? Bivalve? Raw?
if it's Pearl, I have a feeling this one might be Mother of Pearl, but I don't know how you would get from Blue Moon to ___ to Mother.

Green:
Crackers --> Cheez-It, Sunshine, Saltine, Wasa
Bell --> song
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2039
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thought of one more cracker brand.
Green:
Crackers --> Club?

Post Number: 1571
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which come in a green box, I think, Noel...
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2040
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmm, it does. I wonder if that means anything? Guess we'll have to see if Club is right, first. Anyway, do you have any ideas on the remaining 4 puzzles? Please jump in!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8497
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For the orange:
Oyster --> Clam? Mollusk? Pearl? This one Bivalve? Raw?
if it's Pearl, I have a feeling this one might be Mother of Pearl, but I don't know how you would get from Blue Moon to ___ to Mother. It is "mother of pearl"; since you know the answer, try backtracking, and going from "mother" to "blue moon".

Blue moon (mother) of pearl

Three-tier

Green:
Crackers --> Cheez-It, Sunshine, Saltine, Wasa None of these
Bell --> song No - remember, it was closest to "ding" and "dong".

Green:
Crackers --> Club? No
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2041
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Green:
Bell--> it seems like it couldn't be either of these, but since I can't think of anything else that's closer to ding and dong than what I've already guessed... dingdong? ding-dong?
Crackers --> Lance? Hostess?

Orange --> (mother) Father? Parent? Relative? Boss around? Boss? Rules? Nurturing? Nurture? Pink Floyd? The Wall? Dearest? Dear? Brother? Daughter? Son? Sister? Tongue? Ship? God (as in godmother)? Grand? Hen? Cow? Sow?
that's all I can come up with, but none of those fits anything I can come up with for Blue Moon...hmm. Help from anyone out there?

Red:
Newspaper --> Star? Tribune?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2042
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

haha, I just had an entirely lateral thought about Blue Moon. Probably not right, because I think there's one too many steps in the chain, but it's funny, anyway

Orange:
Blue Moon --> Smurf =) --> Papa --> Mother
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8499
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2010 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Green:
Bell--> it seems like it couldn't be either of these, but since I can't think of anything else that's closer to ding and dong than what I've already guessed... dingdong? ding-dong? Neither. HINT: It comes from an old (and bad) joke.
Crackers --> Lance? Hostess? Neither

Orange --> (mother) Father? Parent? Relative? Boss around? Boss? Rules? Nurturing? Nurture? Pink Floyd? The Wall? Dearest? Dear? Brother? Daughter? Son? Sister? Tongue? Ship? God (as in godmother)? Grand? This one Hen? Cow? Sow?
that's all I can come up with, but none of those fits anything I can come up with for Blue Moon...hmm. Help from anyone out there? See below

Red:
Newspaper --> Star? Tribune? Neither. HINT: It's a British newspaper.

haha, I just had an entirely lateral thought about Blue Moon. Probably not right, because I think there's one too many steps in the chain, but it's funny, anyway

Orange:
Blue Moon --> Smurf =) --> Papa --> Mother This is incorrect, although it has the correct number of steps.

RECAP:

Blue moon -> ? -> Grand -> Mother
Barrel -> Cracker -> Oyster -> Pearl
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2044
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bell --> dang? deng? dung?
Grand --> Piano? Ole Opry? Hall? March? Marshal? Prize?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8511
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Green:

Bell --> dang? deng? dung? This one

Munching on a handful of crackers, the sexton rang the twelve o'clock dung.

Orange:

Grand --> Piano? Ole Opry? Hall? March? Marshal? Prize? None of these

Remember, Google is allowed, and in some cases, recommended.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2045
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Green:
Crackers --> animal?
Animal dung?

I've been Googling the heck out of Blue Moon. It hasn't gotten me anywhere close to Grand.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8522
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Green:
Crackers --> animal? No, although it is a specific type of animal.
Animal dung? No, see above.

I've been Googling the heck out of Blue Moon. It hasn't gotten me anywhere close to Grand. HINT: Try adding "train" to "blue moon" - that should get you somewhere.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is apparently a video game about a place called "Blue Moon Canyon". And of course there is the Grand Canyon. I never would have found that without the "train" bit, though.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8545
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is apparently a video game about a place called "Blue Moon Canyon". And of course there is the Grand Canyon. I never would have found that without the "train" bit, though. Correct - $p0|73R

Mother of pearl

Blue moon -> Canyon -> Grand -> Mother
Barrel -> Cracker -> Oyster -> Pearl

As with the white and yellow pyramids, the screen deletes everything except the puzzle statement, and the keyboard disappears. The other screen on this pyramid (the orange one) is now asking for a password - it gives the hint "color" and a touch-screen keyboard appears. And you hear that voice say "Caesar" again.

NOTE: The "Blue Moon" -> "Canyon" connection was more difficult than I would have guessed - sorry. Here's the obligatory link.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2048
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

care to share the bad bell--> dung joke? Without it, I can't see the connection
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a joke that goes:
Q: What is brown and sounds like a bell?
A: Dung!

I don't know if this is what Balin had in mind when he made the connection, but I thought of it too when I read the answer "dung".
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8552
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

care to share the bad bell--> dung joke? Without it, I can't see the connection I would, but Biograd has kindly done so above. I did warn you that the joke was bad...

RECAP of screens:

Green:

Munching on a handful of crackers, the sexton rang the twelve o'clock dung.

Crackers -> a certain brand

Blue:

"It's taken an infinity for the four PM the train to arrive!" said the sick man.

Red:

Mother to the newspaper

Two-tier

Newspaper -> a British newspaper

White, Yellow, Orange:

All are requesting a password; all give the hint "color"; and each time one of these screens turned on, a voice said "Caesar," which you believe is referring to the Caesar cipher.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2050
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Red:
Newspaper -> Guardian? Express? Independent? Telegraph?

And thank you for the recap!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8559
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Red:
Newspaper -> Guardian? Express? Independent? Telegraph? This one

Mother to the telegraph

Two-tier

And thank you for the recap! You're welcome.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8560
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forgot one thing in the recap:

On the white/yellow/orange pyramids, the puzzle screen only shows the initial puzzle statement now.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2051
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Red:
Telegraph --> message? telephone? wire?

An idea:
If telegraph = wire, then
Mother --> Goose --> Down?
Down to the wire?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8566
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Red:
Telegraph --> message? telephone? wire? This one - see below

An idea:
If telegraph = wire, then
Mother --> Goose --> Down?
Down to the wire? All correct - $p0|l3r

Down to the wire

Mother -> Goose -> Down
Newspaper -> Telegraph -> Wire

As with the three other solved pyramids, the puzzle screen deletes everything except the puzzle statement, and the other screen now asks for a password, giving the hint "color". And that voice says "Caesar" again.

Now you've only got the blue and green puzzles - the regular idiomuzzles - to solve.
Whirligig (Whirligig)

Post Number: 489
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Infinity: forever? beyond?
Beyond the pale?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As an interesting aside based on Whirligig's guess, I recently found out where that expression came from.

I had just assumed that it referred to something becoming whiter than just merely pale, as a sign of that something being seriously amiss, and then came to refer to something being socially or morally out of place. But in fact a "pale" is an archaic word for a line made of stakes, as in a property line, and it then took on the metaphorical meaning of "boundary". Just thought the crowd here is one that would enjoy the edification (and possible scrund-curing).
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8584
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blue:

Infinity: forever? beyond? This one
Beyond the pale? Correct - $P@\13R

"It's taken an beyond for the four PM the train to arrive!" said the pale man.

infinity -> beyond (think Toy Story)
El -> the (Spanish)
sick -> pale (in the words of concerned mothers everywhere)

That whole thing with the screens, puzzle statement, password, "color," and "Caesar" happens again. Now only the green pyramid is left to solve.

As an interesting aside based on Whirligig's guess, I recently found out where that expression came from.

I had just assumed that it referred to something becoming whiter than just merely pale, as a sign of that something being seriously amiss, and then came to refer to something being socially or morally out of place. But in fact a "pale" is an archaic word for a line made of stakes, as in a property line, and it then took on the metaphorical meaning of "boundary". Just thought the crowd here is one that would enjoy the edification (and possible scrund-curing). I did not know that - cool!
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2052
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Goldfish? (the only cracker brand I can find that is an animal, though I've never heard of anyone calling it goldfish dung =))

Otherwise, it's time for brute force:
Elephant? Lion? Tiger? Horse? Dinosaur? Cat? Dog? Cow? Bull? Pig? Hog? Llama? Emu? Ostrich? Bird? Parrot? Chicken? Turkey? Gorilla? Monkey? Ape? Bear? Turtle? Frog? Whale?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8590
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Goldfish? (the only cracker brand I can find that is an animal, though I've never heard of anyone calling it goldfish dung =)) Correct - $P0|73r

Munching on a handful of goldfish, the sexton rang the twelve o'clock dung.

crackers -> goldfish (a brand)
bell -> dung (as in the bad joke)

Screen - puzzle statement - other screen - password - hint "color" - voice "Caesar."

OK...now what?

(Side note: "Goldfish dung" is a Japanese idiom meaning a "stalker," "sycophant," or "hanger-on"; I'm not sure of an equivalent idiom in English.)
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2053
Posted on Friday, November 19, 2010 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alright, cipher time.

Try typing each puzzle statement in, shifted by the number of letters in the color of the wall it's on.
(Example: red wall, get puzzle statement from first screen, type it into the second screen on that wall, but with the letters shifted three places to the right. If that doesn't work, try three places to the left).
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8668
Posted on Friday, November 19, 2010 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alright, cipher time.

Try typing each puzzle statement in, shifted by the number of letters in the color of the wall it's on.
(Example: red wall, get puzzle statement from first screen, type it into the second screen on that wall, but with the letters shifted three places to the right. If that doesn't work, try three places to the left). None of that works for any of the screens.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If anyone cares, I found this little Caesar cipher decoder: http://www.simonsingh.net/The_Black_Chamber/caesar.html

It's good for quickly trying things. Ive tried putting some of the answers (like "beyond the pale") and trying all possible shifts to see if anything looks good, for instance whether the name of a color, or a word in one of the other puzzles, appears somewhere in the string of letters. I also thought of trying synonyms like "nacre" for "mother of pearl", to see if it can be transformed to another word. So far everything gives gibberish.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8689
Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ive tried putting some of the answers (like "beyond the pale") and trying all possible shifts to see if anything looks good, for instance whether the name of a color, or a word in one of the other puzzles, appears somewhere in the string of letters. I also thought of trying synonyms like "nacre" for "mother of pearl", to see if it can be transformed to another word. So far everything gives gibberish.

You decide to sit down and think.

-This pyramid...thingy...would probably be kind enough to give you a number, so you wouldn't have to try endless combinations.

-"Color"...what if it's a color that needs shifting?

And my thought of a "mother of Pearl" synonym would be "Hester," but that's not relevant in any possible way.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2055
Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, shift the name of each color by the number of letters in the puzzle statement?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8698
Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, shift the name of each color This part sounds right... by the number of letters in the puzzle statement? ...but this - well, there are far too many letters in each puzzle statement. Maybe you ought to take a closer look at each puzzle sttaement....
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, the white cube needs "white" advanced by 15 letters (from the "dead man's chest" example);
The orange needs "orange" shifted 3 places (the number of tiers);
And similarly the red needs "red" shifted 2 places;
The yellow needs "yellow" shifted 9 places (the number of cool people);
The green needs "green" shifted twelve places (the hour);
The blue needs "blue" shifted 4 places (the hour again);

So that's LWXIT, RUDQJH, TGF, HNUUXF, SDQQZ, FPYI.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8706
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, the white cube needs "white" advanced by 15 letters (from the "dead man's chest" example);
The orange needs "orange" shifted 3 places (the number of tiers);
And similarly the red needs "red" shifted 2 places;
The yellow needs "yellow" shifted 9 places (the number of cool people);
The green needs "green" shifted twelve places (the hour);
The blue needs "blue" shifted 4 places (the hour again);

So that's LWXIT, RUDQJH, TGF, HNUUXF, SDQQZ, FPYI. To make a long story short, these all work. As each correct password is entered, the screens are covered by the pyramid walls, and the top of the pyramid opens. Out of each pyramid emerges a long, thick metal pole, reaching to just short of the exact center of the pyramid.

When all six passcodes have been entered, and all six poles have emerged, a giant ball of electricity forms in the exact center, where the poles almost meet. Suddenly, the electricty is discharged into the ground, and a large metal sphere, several feet in diameter, appears, connected to the ends of all six poles.

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oookay, that's freaky. And why am I reminded of the metallic-run thing from Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole now???? I'm not sure I want to go near that thing...but what can we observe about it from here, other than that it's a "large metal sphere connected to the ends of all the poles"? Can you be more specific than "several feet in diameter" on size?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8712
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure I want to go near that thing...but what can we observe about it from here, other than that it's a "large metal sphere connected to the ends of all the poles"? Nothing much. And by the way, the poles are pretty thick - about a foot and a half in diameter. You could probably walk on them, given the weird gravity in this place. Can you be more specific than "several feet in diameter" on size? Not from down here - if you could get closer to it, you could get a better view.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try walking up and touching the sphere.

Are the poles fused to the sphere, or is there hope that they could swivel?

Thinking back to the one time as a kid when I disassembled a Rubik's cube, I think that the "workings" may have in fact consisted of a ball joint with six rods on it)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8718
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try walking up and touching the sphere. You walk up one of the poles and take a look around the sphere. It's just over 8 feet in diameter. On one part of the sphere, there is a door with a six-digit combination. Written on the door are the words "numerical order".

Are the poles fused to the sphere, or is there hope that they could swivel? They are fused to the sphere.

Just before climbing up, you noticed that something had changed about the way the Rubik's cube was glowing. However, you didn't notice exactly what it was.

Thinking back to the one time as a kid when I disassembled a Rubik's cube, I think that the "workings" may have in fact consisted of a ball joint with six rods on it) I've never disassembled one of those, but I think you're right. However, that factoid is actually not relevant to the puzzle.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take a look at the cube, and see what it's doing.

And it's a shame that the poles don't rotate. Solving a Rubik's cube by running around inside of it would be so fun. Like being a genius hamster.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8724
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2010 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take a look at the cube, and see what it's doing. You pull out the Rubik's cube, and all six sides are glowing; however, each side has a different number of squares that are glowing.

Red: 7 squares glowing
Blue: 5
White: 3
Green: 6
Yellow: 8
Orange: 1

And it's a shame that the poles don't rotate. Solving a Rubik's cube by running around inside of it would be so fun. Like being a genius hamster. It would indeed be fun - maybe that can be your lateral adventure.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2010 - 4:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So there seem to be 2 possibilities. Each color is associated with two numbers, one being the number in the corresponding puzzle statement, the other being the number of squares glowing on the corresponding side of the cube. So I'm assuming we need to order the colors by one set of numbers, and then input the other set of numbers in that order.

However, since some of the numbers in the puzzles were 2 digits, and there are only 6 digits on the lock, it would seem that we need to enter the numbers of glowing squares. So that makes 715863.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8737
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2010 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So there seem to be 2 possibilities. Each color is associated with two numbers, one being the number in the corresponding puzzle statement, the other being the number of squares glowing on the corresponding side of the cube. So I'm assuming we need to order the colors by one set of numbers, and then input the other set of numbers in that order.

However, since some of the numbers in the puzzles were 2 digits, and there are only 6 digits on the lock, it would seem that we need to enter the numbers of glowing squares. So that makes 715863. The lock clicks loudly and the door swings open, allowing access to the inside of the sphere.

You peek inside. There is a chair there, and on the arm of the chair is a red button. These things are showing up everywhere.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2010 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I guess there's no way out but to sit in the chair and press the button.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8739
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2010 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I guess there's no way out but to sit in the chair and press the button. You do so. Suddenly, leather straps pin your arms, legs, and chest in place, as you hear a rumbling below you. The next thing you know, you've been propelled to who-knows-where, as you crash into...something.

Behind you, the door opens, as the leather straps retract and release you. Heading through the open door, you drop down into another cubic room, though this one is much smaller than the giant cube.

There's only a couple of things here: a door on the east wall, which is locked; a small table against the north wall; a safe on the south wall that requires a key to open, and is also missing a place for a handle; and on the west wall, a large pane of glass, behind which is a button. Above the glass is a sign: "IN CASE OF EMERGENCY BREAK GLASS".
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8740
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2010 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BLOOPER: There is no pane of glass or button on the west wall - my bad. Instead, there is a fire alarm, reading "IN CASE OF EMERGENCY PULL".
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2010 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would say having just crashed into the room qualifies as an emergency, so pull the fire alarm, even though nothing is on fire.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8748
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2010 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would say having just crashed into the room qualifies as an emergency, so pull the fire alarm, even though nothing is on fire. You reach out and give the alarm a good yank. Suddenly, a pillar rises in the center of the room, with a glass cube on it. Metal rods come out from each corner of the room and hold the cube in place by its corners, while the pillar lowers back into the floor.

You take a closer look at the glass cube - there is a key inside it.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2010 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the cube have any openings you could reach into to get the key? If not, can you shatter the glass?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8752
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2010 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the cube have any openings you could reach into to get the key? Nope. If not, can you shatter the glass? Well, not with your bare hands.

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2010 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Examine the table by the north wall, if you can reach it. Is anything on, inside (if it has drawers), behind or under it? Also, does this cube-shaped room have odd gravity as well? Is the glass cube a Rubik's Cube of any sort?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8758
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2010 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Examine the table by the north wall, if you can reach it. You can. Is anything on, inside (if it has drawers), behind or under it? There are some words scratched under the table - "numerical order". Also, does this cube-shaped room have odd gravity as well? {No - it appears the gravity switch has been turned back on.} Is the glass cube a Rubik's Cube of any sort? No, it's just ordinary glass. You could probably break it, but not with your bare hands.

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2010 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Examine the safe. Besides the fact that it's handle-less and requires a key to open it, is there anything else you notice about it?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8759
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2010 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Examine the safe. Besides the fact that it's handle-less and requires a key to open it, is there anything else you notice about it? Nothing else stands out.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Monday, November 22, 2010 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the "missing place for the handle" a hole, into which a handle could be installed as an extra lock? or do you just mean the door is flat and solid except for the keyhole?
If there is a hole for a handle, can you stick your finger or hand into it and reach something inside?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8764
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the "missing place for the handle" a hole, into which a handle could be installed as an extra lock? or do you just mean the door is flat and solid except for the keyhole? This one.
If there is a hole for a handle, can you stick your finger or hand into it and reach something inside?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the metal rods attached to the glass, or merely pressed up against it? I was thinking you could maybe rotate the glass cube, because a cube is widest across its diagonals. In any other orientation, the rods would not be able to reach the glass, and the cube would be free.

If the cube is secure, is there any way to reset the alarm pull station? Maybe in that case the part with the rods and pedestal will reverse, and you can then grab the cube off the pedestal before it has a chance to retract back into the floor.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8768
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the metal rods attached to the glass, or merely pressed up against it? This one; however... I was thinking you could maybe rotate the glass cube, because a cube is widest across its diagonals. In any other orientation, the rods would not be able to reach the glass, and the cube would be free. ...apparently, the metal rods have little niches in their tips for the corners of the cube to fit into, because the cube does not rotate.

If the cube is secure, is there any way to reset the alarm pull station? Maybe in that case the part with the rods and pedestal will reverse, and you can then grab the cube off the pedestal before it has a chance to retract back into the floor. You try to pull the alarm back up. It won't move.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you poke the glass with one of the table legs?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8778
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you poke the glass with one of the table legs? No - the table is small, but too heavy to move. But do you have something in your inventory that will break the glass?

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do we? The Rubik's Cube? If not, Recap of inventory please?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8786
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do we? Maybe, but... The Rubik's Cube? ...it's certainly not this. If not, Recap of inventory please? Sure. You have a Rubik's cube and a large bone.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2060
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haha, will if it's not the Rubik's Cube, I'd say the next step is to break the glass with the large bone, eh?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8789
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Haha, will if it's not the Rubik's Cube, I'd say the next step is to break the glass with the large bone, eh? I'd say so too, so you pull out the bone and smash the glass cube into tiny bits with it. The key drops to the floor, but the metal rods remain in place.

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*facepalm* I forgot about the bone.

Take the key and try it on all the locks in the room. (How many are there, again?)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8790
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take the key and try it on all the locks in the room. (How many are there, again?) There's the door, but it doesn't work there. There's also the safe, and the key fits there. Now all we need is the handle....

Post Number: 1712
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will the bone work?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8793
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will the bone work? It might, but we still don't have a spot for the handle - or bone, as the case may be - to go.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you cannot turn the key and pull the door open with the key?

How about tilting the safe on its side to let the door fall by gravity? Is it too heavy?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8796
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So you cannot turn the key and pull the door open with the key? You try that, but it doesn't work. Either the door is too heavy, or the handle needs to be turned and the safe opened.

How about tilting the safe on its side to let the door fall by gravity? Is it too heavy? Well, gravity is back to normal in this room, so that is out of the question.

While examining the safe, you almost ran into one of the metal rods. Hmmm...why are they still in place?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 5:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The handle? I thought there wasn't one, and assumed the only thing holding the door was the lock, except the problem was the door was flush to the opening and hard to grip even when unlocked.

And about the gravity, I was suggesting that the safe be tipped forward so that the door was facing down, and so that it wouldn't need to be pulled, but would fall open once unlocked. But upon reading back it seems it is attached to the wall somehow, not just free-standing on the floor as I imagined when I made that suggestion.

How far are the ends of the rods from the safe?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8805
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The handle? I thought there wasn't one, and assumed the only thing holding the door was the lock, except the problem was the door was flush to the opening and hard to grip even when unlocked. Well, there's no spot for a handle, although it appears that there should be.

And about the gravity, I was suggesting that the safe be tipped forward so that the door was facing down, and so that it wouldn't need to be pulled, but would fall open once unlocked. But upon reading back it seems it is attached to the wall somehow, not just free-standing on the floor as I imagined when I made that suggestion. Ah - my bad for not making things clearer.

How far are the ends of the rods from the safe? The ends of the rods are in the center of the room, still in the same shape as before. It's almost like they're still holding the glass cube.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8806
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The handle? I thought there wasn't one, and assumed the only thing holding the door was the lock, except the problem was the door was flush to the opening and hard to grip even when unlocked. Well, there's no spot for a handle, although it appears that there should be.

And about the gravity, I was suggesting that the safe be tipped forward so that the door was facing down, and so that it wouldn't need to be pulled, but would fall open once unlocked. But upon reading back it seems it is attached to the wall somehow, not just free-standing on the floor as I imagined when I made that suggestion. Ah - my bad for not making things clearer.

How far are the ends of the rods from the safe? The ends of the rods are in the center of the room, still in the same shape as before. It's almost like they're still holding the glass cube.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2061
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How large was the glass cube? Was it comparable in size to the Rubik's cube? Would the Rubik's cube fit in the space left by the glass cube?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8814
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2010 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How large was the glass cube? Was it comparable in size to the Rubik's cube? They are - er, were - about the same size. Would the Rubik's cube fit in the space left by the glass cube? It probably would, so you put the Rubik's cube in place so it is held by the metal rods. Suddenly, there is a buzz, and the center square on each side pops out - it looks like you will be able to press them as buttons.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2010 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So try pressing red, orange, blue, yellow, green, white, in that order. Assuming it's the same order as last time.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8818
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2010 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So try pressing red, orange, blue, yellow, green, white, in that order. Assuming it's the same order as last time. You try that, and...nothing happens. This must be a different order.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2010 - 5:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did anything else happen to the cube, besides the "buttons" popping out?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8820
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2010 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did anything else happen to the cube, besides the "buttons" popping out? No.

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2010 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ROYGBW, then? Since the cube only has six sides, and no indigo or violet is present...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8826
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2010 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ROYGBW, then? Since the cube only has six sides, and no indigo or violet is present... Nada.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2062
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2010 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alphabetical order?

If not, perhaps we need to explore the room some more to see if we missed a clue?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8833
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2010 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alphabetical order? No, BGORWY doesn't work either.

If not, perhaps we need to explore the room some more to see if we missed a clue? You've already found the clue - the words "numerical order" were written under the table.

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2010 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmm...
B + L + U + E = 2 + 12 + 21 + 5 = 40? Like that?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8836
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmm...
B + L + U + E = 2 + 12 + 21 + 5 = 40? Like that? No, no, that doesn't seem to help at all. It's got to be much simpler than that, and it should help you figure out what order to push the buttons on the Rubik's cube in.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8903
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You sit down on the table to think this puzzle over for a moment.

You've seen the words "numerical order" under the table. The last time you saw that was on the door to the large sphere, and that time, you had to associate a certain number with each color, and push the colors in numerical order. You probably have to do the same thing here; however, the numbers from the puzzle statements were not the correct order this time. What other numbers might be the answer?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The glowing squares? Orange, white, blue, green, red, yellow?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8953
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The glowing squares? Orange, white, blue, green, red, yellow? In a nutshell, it works. The pillar rises from the floor, the metal rods retract, and the cube drops onto the pillar, which lowers back into the floor. As it does so, a metal shaft about a foot long extends from the safe door. The cylindrical shaft has a round hole going through it.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try unlocking the lock with the key and pulling on the metal pipe to open the door. If that doesn't work, check to see if the bone fits inside the pipe, and if it does, push it in until it reaches the door to see if that dislodges something.

Post Number: 1793
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a foot long, you say. How wide is it? Enough to stick a finger into? A hand? Your head? Your body? Can you crawl through it? Sit in it? Stand in it?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8968
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a foot long, you say. How wide is it? Enough to stick a finger into? A hand? Your head? Your body? Can you crawl through it? Sit in it? Stand in it? See below

Try unlocking the lock with the key and pulling on the metal pipe to open the door. If that doesn't work, And it doesn't... check to see if the bone fits inside the pipe, and if it does, push it in until it reaches the door to see if that dislodges something. ...but the bone does fit in the hole in the shaft. The hole actually goes from wall to wall of the shaft, not directly into it, but in any case, you stick the bone through the hole, and it makes a perfect safe handle.

You turn the bone-handle, pull open the safe door, and come face-to-face with...another one of those screens-with-a-touch-screen-QWERTY-keyboard. This one reads:

What links:

an anti-operatic organization,

a possible explanation for nudity,

and a certain quality of a well-known fruit connoisseur?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An anti-operatic organization: One that opposes the performance of operas? That opposes opera as an art form? That promotes a form of music or theater which is almost the "opposite" of opera? Or is it wordplay, as in having a name that sounds like the opposite of the title of an opera?

A fruit connoiseur: A person? or an animal (as in a fruit fly or fruit bat)?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8970
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An anti-operatic organization: One that opposes the performance of operas? No That opposes opera as an art form? No That promotes a form of music or theater which is almost the "opposite" of opera? No Or is it wordplay, Yes as in having a name that sounds like Yopish the opposite No of the title of an opera? Yes

A fruit connoiseur: A person? Yes or an animal (as in a fruit fly or fruit bat)? So no
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the name of the organization, the title of the opera backwards? Is a word within the title replaced with its opposite?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 8983
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the name of the organization, the title of the opera backwards? Is a word within the title replaced with its opposite? Neither - think of the organization as "an anti-[title of the opera] organization."

Post Number: 1794
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 4:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ghostbusters? *innocent grin*
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9000
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ghostbusters? *innocent grin* Nope. Figure out which opera it is, and that will help you.

Post Number: 1796
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I was going for "Phantom of the Opera", then picked "Ghost" from "Phantom"...Opera's not really my thing...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9061
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 5:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I was going for "Phantom of the Opera", then picked "Ghost" from "Phantom"...Opera's not really my thing... Well, the usual aids are perfectly legal in this puzzle.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9156
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RECAP and HINTS:

"An anti-operatic organization": start by figuring out the opera.

"A possible explanation for nudity": begin by determining the "nudity" part.

"A certain quality of a well-known fruit connoisseur": first figure out who the "fruit connoisseur" is.

And remember, Google/Wikipedia/etc. are perfectly acceptable.

Post Number: 1821
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"A certain quality of a well-known fruit connoisseur": first figure out who the "fruit connoisseur" is.

Apple?

Couldn't resist the Forrest Gump joke...Apple as in the computer company, of course =P

Failing that, Dole? Chiquita? Del Monte?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9179
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apple? Well, the fruit itself is typically depicted as an apple, but...

Couldn't resist the Forrest Gump joke...Apple as in the computer company, of course =P =)}

Failing that, Dole? Chiquita? Del Monte? ...none of these types. "Connoisseur" is meant as in "eater of," not "maker of."

Post Number: 1822
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adam and/or Eve? The "forbidden fruit"?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9195
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adam and/or Eve? The latter The "forbidden fruit"? That was the allusion, yes. So what is the "specific quality of Eve"?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 6:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That her name is a palindrome? That she supposedly lacked a navel?

Post Number: 1823
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mother of all the living?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9202
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That her name is a palindrome? Whoa, first shot!! That she supposedly lacked a navel?

Mother of all the living?

"A certain quality of a well-known fruit connoisseur" = PALINDROME

One down, two to go...
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 487
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The opera: is it from the 1600s? 1700s? 1800s? more recent? Written by Mozart? Wagner? Verdi? Strauss? Puccini? someone else?

Will it matter if the name is in the original language or translated to English (e.g. Die Zauberflöte vs. The Magic Flute)? Alternatively, is the opera written in English?

Nudity: does this involve a specific case of nudity? or nudity in general? Full nudity? or partial?

Is Lady Godiva relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9219
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The opera: is it from the 1600s? 1700s? 1800s? This more recent? Written by Mozart? Wagner? Verdi? Strauss? Puccini? someone else? This, and to save you from the LTPF list of composers, it was Bizet.

Will it matter if the name is in the original language or translated to English (e.g. Die Zauberflöte vs. The Magic Flute)? It is the same title in both languages; why this is, I cannot say, for fear of too-big-a-hint. Alternatively, is the opera written in English? No

Nudity: does this involve a specific case of nudity? or nudity in general? A specific type, but not a specific case, of... Full nudity? ...this, 99% of the time. or partial?

Is Lady Godiva relevant? No
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carmen? Ivan IV? (Those are names/numbers only, so language is irrelevant)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9239
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 5:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carmen? This one... Ivan IV? (Those are names/numbers only, so language is irrelevant)

...which makes that clue "an anti-Carmen organization."

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anti-Carmen organization = ACME?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9242
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 5:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anti-Carmen organization = ACME? Right on the nose!

"An anti-operatic organization" -> Carmen -> ACME

"A possible explanation for nudity" ->

"A certain quality of a well-known fruit connoisseur" -> Eve -> PALINDROME

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 5:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*hopes I got the theme stuck in Balin's head* :-D
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9245
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 5:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*hopes I got the theme stuck in Balin's head* :-D And you did... =)
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So we are looking for something in common between "acme" and "palindrome", that is also shared by a possible explanation for nudity? The only one I can see is that they both end in "me".
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9255
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So we are looking for something in common between "acme" and "palindrome", that is also shared by a possible explanation for nudity? Yope The only one I can see is that they both end in "me". Not that. Remember, the Internet is your friend.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 497
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Explanation for nudity:
A specific type of nudity that is 99% of the time full nudity?
Does this nudity involve a specific setting? in movies? at a hospital? in a bathroom? at a nude beach?
Does this involve nudity in a place where nudity is not generally socially acceptable? or is the nudity in any other manner not generally acceptable?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9279
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Explanation for nudity:
A specific type of nudity that is 99% of the time full nudity? Yes
Does this nudity involve a specific setting? Yope in movies? at a hospital? in a bathroom? at a nude beach? But never one of these
Does this involve nudity in a place where nudity is not generally socially acceptable? Almost always or is the nudity in any other manner not generally acceptable?
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this relevant:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_Mystery_Hunt

I see that "acme" and "palindrome" were names of puzzle creators in this game. Even if this is irrelevant to this puzzle, it is quite relevant to the LTPF in general is it seems these are real-world lateral puzzles. Maybe we can convince them to do one that involves posting things on the LTPF--a bit of link exchange if you will.
Biograd (Biograd)

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Though I can't see any connection to nudity there. Unless you're walking through the woods and a "physical plant" gets its thorns caught in your clothes, tearing them off. Or if you have the "beginner's luck" of getting caught up in some campus hazing.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9296
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this relevant:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_Mystery_Hunt It's far more than relevant...

**********5p0|7eR**********

I see that "acme" and "palindrome" were names of puzzle creators in this game. So they were... Even if this is irrelevant to this puzzle, it is quite relevant to the LTPF in general is it seems these are real-world lateral puzzles. Maybe we can convince them to do one that involves posting things on the LTPF--a bit of link exchange if you will. Depends...anyone have connections to anyone at MIT?

Though I can't see any connection to nudity there. Unless you're walking through the woods and a "physical plant" gets its thorns caught in your clothes, tearing them off. Or if you have the "beginner's luck" of getting caught up in some campus hazing. This is the final link, explained below:

"An anti-operatic organization" -> Carmen -> Carmen Sandiego -> ACME

A possible explanation for nudity -> streaking -> a winning streak -> BEGINNER'S LUCK

A certain quality of a well-known fruit connoisseur -> Eve -> the word "eve" -> PALINDROME

All of which are names of past winners (and therefore also hosts) of the MIT Mystery Hunt.

And good luck to Metaphysical Plant this coming MLKJ weekend!

Suddenly, the screen flickers, shudders, and finally explodes, tiny bits of electronic screen flying across the room. After recovering from the shock of the explosion, you take a peek inside the safe, and see...

A top.
Whirligig (Whirligig)

Post Number: 555
Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, spin it then!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9302
Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, spin it then! You take the top out of the safe and spin it on the table. It keeps spinning...and spinning...and spinning...

All of a sudden, you hear the locked door swing open. Snapped out of your transfixed gaze, you turn to see what looks like a man, wearing a silver-and-black spacesuit-type-thing, with a jet-black veil covering his face. He looks - at least, you think he looks - straight at you, and asks, "Do you know what's going on?"
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2098
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tell him "no." what does he say?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9340
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tell him "no." what does he say? He shakes his head. "Do you know what's going on?" he repeats, only more forcefully.

You sneak a glance back over towards the table. The top is still spinning.

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tell him that the top is spinning. (That's what's going on...)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9344
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tell him that the top is spinning. (That's what's going on...) He appears to sigh. "Do you know what's been going on?" This time, it is definitely more forceful, almost as if you should know what is going on...what is happening.

That top, by the way, has not even wobbled. That's got to mean something.
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 510
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 5:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tell him you're still inside the dream.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2100
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bet you're right. Good movie.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9354
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tell him you're still inside the dream.

I bet you're right. Good movie. Assessment of movie - I agree.

But in any case, you snatch the spinning top off the table, point it at him, and shout that you are dreaming. As you pocket the top, the man nods, then asks, "Would you like to go back?" In response, you nod, to which he replies, "Do you remember what it felt like?"

Confused, you stumble over your words, but simply respond, "No, I don't."

"Then this might help," the veiled man says, before pulling out what looks like a detonator. Before you can react, he pushes the button.

You hear a soft explosion below you, and suddenly, the floor gives way, and you start to fall...again.

As you fall, these past events flash before your eyes - going backwards from the floor giving way to your arrival in the giant cube - until you black out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A sharp *thud* awakens you, as you have landed and are no longer falling. You look around - you're back in the shed from the very, very begining. In a pile on the floor, you find everything you'd had in the first game (everything that you'd placed on one of the pillars, that is, plus the 10 letters).

Shaking yourself, you decide to check your pockets. Inside one pocket, you pull out Brigitte's note, still in its envelope. In the other one, you find...

...that top.

You ponder to yourself, "What in the world is going on now?" as you absentmindedly place the top on the wooden floor and give it a spin. The top spins unwaveringly at first, but soon, it begins to wobble, and...

**********SPOILER**********

Excellent work again, solvers!

==CREDITS==

Uber solvers:

-Whirligig
-Kayleetonkslupin
-Biograd
-Noel
-Kalira

PART III COMING 2011 (after I actually finish making it)

Post Number: 1856
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Er...maybe I'm just not as movie-savvy as most, but I feel like I missed something. "Great movie"? *inquiring look* In any case, looking forward to Part III and a happy 2011!
Kalira (Kalira)

Post Number: 514
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Inception," dear Kaylee... One of few movies I have gotten to watch in theatres in recent years. According to its website, it is "a contemporary sci-fi actioner set within the architecture of the mind. This summer your mind is the scene of the crime." Despite studio's insistence on odd use of weird slangy word 'actioner,' it WAS actually quite an interesting movie - kind of a sci-fi thriller thing.

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info, Kalira...I'll try and find it! Sounds very, very interesting...actually, if it's even half as interesting as Balin's puzzle, it must be very interesting indeed =D

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: