{KayleeTonksLupin} For him to get it... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2010 » {KayleeTonksLupin} For him to get it... « Previous Next »

Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 1922
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...a lot of people would have to die.
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 2528
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A job? A promotion? A prize? A joke?

Would he have to be the last man on earth to get it?

Post Number: 1923
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A job? You might say this... A promotion? ...or this, but neither are exactly right. The other two are definite nos. A prize? A joke?

Would he have to be the last man on earth to get it?No, but hundreds of people are in line before him.
Woodworm (Woodworm)
Username: Woodworm

Post Number: 2529
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, it's not a throne again, is it?

Post Number: 1925
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, it's not a throne again, is it? perhaps it is...
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 9607
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A certain position? Or honor? A kingdom?

Post Number: 1928
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A certain position? Or honor? A kingdom? very much so, yes.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9614
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he low in the line of...whatever it's called? So a lot of his relatives would have to die before he could become king?

Post Number: 1929
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he low in the line of...whatever it's called? The line of succession, yes So a lot of his relatives would have to die before he could become king? Very much so...although...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9618
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he very young? A child?

Post Number: 1930
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he very young? Not in the least A child? He is on the elderly side with descendants of his own, but they are...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9620
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the descendants ahead of him in the line? Are any of his descendants currently king?

Post Number: 1931
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the descendants ahead of him in the line? All of them. Are any of his descendants currently king?No, but...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9626
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is one of the descendants next in line?

Post Number: 1932
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is one of the descendants next in line? Yes indeed, his son is the heir apparent, because...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9628
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he not allowed to be king? Did he use to be king?

Post Number: 1933
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he not allowed to be king? oh sure, he could inherit the throne in his own right...after those five hundred-odd others...
Did he use to be king? No.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9632
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he the stepfather of the heir apparent?

Post Number: 1934
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he the stepfather of the heir apparent? No...you're overlooking the obvious, my friend. *grin*

This reminds me of the old one about the boy and the surgeon...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9636
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the descendents all female? Is the king a woman? Is this a matriarchal society?

Post Number: 1935
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 3:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the descendents all female? *headdesk* No, you're overcomplicating it...
Is the king a woman? There isn't a king on the throne, but a...
Is this a matriarchal society? most certainly not, though there is a woman on the throne. This is a real situation, as you seem to not have guessed (at least, you never asked) =P
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 521
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the queen a woman? Or is she secretly a man?
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 540
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I may just jump in here, and I'm probably going to articulate this wrong, is it related to the fact that the line of succession passes through his wife?

For example, after Wills and Kate get married and the years go by and they have kids and he's king, then he dies, the monarchy passes to the kid, not to Kate. But she is distantly related to the royal family, so if all those ppl die, THEN she would be queen. gee, I hope this is actually true, otherwise I'm going to look like a hopeless American idjit to the people from across the Pond... Something like this?

Also, you said it's a real situation. Are we talking about England/Britain/UK? Denmark? Sweden? Norway? Monaco? somewhere else?

Post Number: 1936
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gregory Coke: Is the queen a woman? Of course, what were you expecting?
Or is she secretly a man? ...I should do another King Christina puzzle at some point, I haven't done enough about Sweden lately, but no.

Kalira: If I may just jump in here, and I'm probably going to articulate this wrong, is it related to the fact that the line of succession passes through his wife? very well done, yes indeed!

For example, after Wills and Kate get married and the years go by and they have kids and he's king, then he dies, the monarchy passes to the kid, not to Kate. But she is distantly related to the royal family, so if all those ppl die, THEN she would be queen. gee, I hope this is actually true, assuming Kate is in the line of succession, this is exactly and precisely the same situation the puzzle statement describes, though with inverted genders.

otherwise I'm going to look like a hopeless American idjit to the people from across the Pond... Something like this? I'm American too, so don't worry.

Also, you said it's a real situation. Are we talking about England/Britain/UK? this and no other Denmark? Sweden? Norway? Monaco? somewhere else?

Post Number: 1937
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

somewhere else? didn't notice this one...I suppose the Commonwealth Realms count as "somewhere else", other than that, you're good
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9641
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Queen Elizabeth married? Does the line of succession pass through her direct descendants?

Don't know much about the British throne or line of succession...

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Queen Elizabeth married? Yes, she most certainly is.
Does the line of succession pass through her direct descendants? it does indeed

Don't know much about the British throne or line of succession...that's what I'm here for...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9647
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the "he" in the puzzle statement...her husband?

Post Number: 1946
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the "he" in the puzzle statement...her husband? exactly and precisely so!

Post Number: 1947
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you may $poyle; wiki and google are your friends, and I like for you to learn things on your own, Balin :-D
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9650
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So Prince Philip, then?

Post Number: 1949
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

***SPOILER***

Indeed, HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, husband of Queen Elizabeth II, is the gentleman in question. He is currently 504th in the line of succession to the British throne (not counting people barred because of illegitimacy, being Catholic, having married Catholics, etc., so there's far more than 504 names on that list) while his four children and their children follow the Queen, as their inheritance comes through her. The Duke of Edinburgh is his wife's third cousin, as they both are descendants of Queen Victoria, and also her second cousin once removed, as descendants of King Christian IX of Denmark.

And now you know more about HRH Prince Philip than you did before starting this puzzle. (Also, he's a Prince in his own right, because he belonged to the royal house of Greece and Denmark before marrying the Queen...or Princess Elizabeth, as she was at the time.)

This has been fun :-D
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9653
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep - before this puzzle, I didn't even know he existed. Or that the Queen was married. Awkward.

This was a fun one!

Post Number: 1953
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you not participating in my puzzle about the line of succession and Peter Phillips' soon-to-be-born child? I could have sworn it was you who brought up Prince William's engagement (though Prince Harry was the one mentioned, erroneously). Didn't you think they had a grandfather, lol? Silly Balin!
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9662
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah...I have no idea how my line of thought goes sometimes often. I guess weird minds think...weirdly, I guess.

Post Number: 1955
Posted on Friday, December 17, 2010 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And lateral minds are often weird which is why we all love and appreciate each other. :-D *huggles Balin* Don't worry, silly Balin. You're not in trouble from not knowing. Least not from me. Can't be speaking for Woodworm or Woubit, or any other British members.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: