[Balin] The origins of lateral thinking Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2010 » [Balin] The origins of lateral thinking « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 9776
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One day, while Judd was not at home, he participated in a tournament, and won because he had home-field advantage. What happened?

Judd = he #1 = he #2
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 1993
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Home #1 = his house/apartment/whatever, and home #2 (home field) = the "field" where his home team plays? Relevant what sport?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9780
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Home #1 = his house/apartment/whatever, His house and home #2 (home field) = the "field" where his home team plays? FA Relevant what sport? Yes, FA

Post Number: 1995
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ergh, FA's...

Is the FA that it is a sport? You said 'tournament'...is it rather a game? A chess tournament or similar?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9783
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ergh, FA's...

Is the FA that it is a sport? Yes You said 'tournament'...is it rather a game? Yes A chess tournament or similar? Yes, but not chess

Post Number: 1997
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 4:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Checkers? A chess-like or checkers-like game? Chinese chess/checkers? Go? And...any other similar ones have flown out of my head. I have never played "go", just heard of it.

If not those, a board game? Monopoly? Clue(do)? The Game of Life? (Just naming my favorites, as they come to mind most easily...)
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9789
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 4:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Checkers? A chess-like or checkers-like game? Chinese chess/checkers? Go? None of these, but see below And...any other similar ones have flown out of my head. I have never played "go", just heard of it. I have friends who have played Go, but I don't have a clue how it works.

If not those, a board game? Monopoly? Clue(do)? This 'un The Game of Life? (Just naming my favorites, as they come to mind most easily...)
Fandres17 (Fandres17)
Username: Fandres17

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it because he won his game at home, so he had advantage when he was playing away? or is it a virtual game?

And about the game, is it a popular game in your country? worldwide? western society? is it played by people of certain age?
Visconti (Visconti)
Username: Visconti

Post Number: 433
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a Clue tournament? relevant where the tournament was held? a school? stadium? um, library? was the tournament a fully sanctioned tournament? or just a bunch of friend playing around?

was there prize money involved?

was the quality of a the game relevant? (ie bent cards? missing cards?)

is it relevant what the solution to the game was?
if so, i'm going to list all the suspects, weapons, and rooms next. will this prove to be relevant?

relevant what color piece he was?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9803
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it because he won his game at home, FA - see below so he had advantage Yes when he was playing away? See below or is it a virtual game? No
And about the game, is it a popular game in your country? worldwide? western society? It's popular in at least the US and Europe; I'm not not sure where else it is. is it played by people of certain age? All ages

a Clue tournament? Yes relevant where the tournament was held? a school? Here stadium? um, library? was the tournament a fully sanctioned tournament? Not really or just a bunch of friend playing around? Yesish; assume Yes

was there prize money involved? No

was the quality of a the game relevant? Yes (ie bent cards? Close - torn cards missing cards?)

is it relevant what the solution to the game was? Yope
if so, i'm going to list all the suspects, weapons, and rooms next. will this prove to be relevant? Only the room. It was Professor Plum in the Billiard Room with the Wrench.

relevant what color piece he was? No - he was playing as Plum
Visconti (Visconti)

Post Number: 434
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Relevant where he was sitting in relation to where the billiard room on the board? was he sitting near it? across the table from it?

If he was sitting on the other side table, would a different room have been more 'beneficial'?

was it his copy of the Clue game they were playing?

torn cards: is it as simple as 'he knows what cards are torn so he can tell what the cards are when they are turned over?'

relevant who put the cards in the solution envelope? was it Judd?

is it a correct assumption that him knowing the what the room was in the solution envelope his only 'advantage'?
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 546
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they playing in an actual Billiard room? In a [LTPF list of rooms in Clue]? (Only in the real version of the room, not the board game version)? Or were they playing in a house designed like Mr. Boddy's mansion?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 9807
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they playing in an actual Billiard room? In a [LTPF list of rooms in Clue]? None, they were in a school (Only in the real version of the room, not the board game version)? Or were they playing in a house designed like Mr. Boddy's mansion? No to all

Relevant where he was sitting in relation to where the billiard room on the board? No was he sitting near it? across the table from it? On the same side as the Hall

If he was sitting on the other side table, would a different room have been more 'beneficial'? No

was it his copy of the Clue game they were playing? YES!!!

torn cards: is it as simple as 'he knows what cards are torn so he can tell what the cards are when they are turned over?' Pretty much, so the wrap-up is below.

relevant who put the cards in the solution envelope? No was it Judd? No

is it a correct assumption that him knowing the what the room was in the solution envelope his only 'advantage'? Yes, and let's wrap this one up:

**********SPOILER**********

"Judd" is actually me. In fifth grade, eight of my classmates and I somehow decided to have a Clue tournament. Our teacher was all for the idea, so we had it during class time one day. Two other students and I brought in our Clue sets for the tournament (consisting of 3 games of 3 people each, and the winners played in the final). I won my first game, and we played the final the next day.

Since I was the only one who'd left my Clue set at the school, we wound up using it for the final. Now, a couple of the room cards have a slightly torn back, and I know which cards they are - one of them is the Billiard Room. When the "solution cards" were being put in the envelope, I saw that one of them had a torn back, which greatly narrowed down my room choices. So I just played normally, making sure to eventually visit those rooms (which I had been planning to do anyway). By the time I reached the Billiard Room, I was pretty sure of the person and weapon, and the Billiard Room was the only one with a torn back that I hadn't eliminated, so I entered that room, made Plum/Billiard Room/Wrench my suggestion, and won the game (and thus the tournament) moments later.

Kudos o' the day go to Visconti et al.
Visconti (Visconti)

Post Number: 435
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheater! : )

I would play Clue with a girl I dated in high school, and she would win. Every. Single. Time. She never told me the secret to winning, and to this day I still don't know how she won.

Man... just typing that out made my high school years sound pathetic.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: