[Balin] Unequal reaction Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - February 2011 » [Balin] Unequal reaction « Previous Next »

Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12103
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While everyone else was laughing, all I could think was "I know where that is!"

What was going on?
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 3759
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you know where that was? That: an object? A place?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12105
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you know where that was? Yes That: an object? A place? This
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3762
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A place on earth? A: continent? Country? State? City? Street? Building? Other manmade structure? Geological feature? Was it said as a joke? Was the name of a real place used in the context of being made up? For laughs? Was the name of the place funny in and of itself?
Pikachizzle (Pikachizzle)
Username: Pikachizzle

Post Number: 569
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lake Titicaca relevant?
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3763
Posted on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beavis and Butt-head relevant?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were you in a theatre? cinema? other public place? at home? school?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12106
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A place on earth? Yes A: continent? Country? State? City? Street? Building? This Other manmade structure? Geological feature? Was it said as a joke? Yope Was the name of a real place used in the context of being made up? Please clarify For laughs? Yes to Yesish Was the name of the place funny in and of itself? No

Lake Titicaca relevant? No

Beavis and Butt-head relevant? No

were you in a theatre? Here cinema? other public place? at home? school? And it happened to be here - a theater on the Elon campus.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did the person refer directly to the name of the place you recognised? or did you recognise it from the description?

is the building famous? is it a school? a church? a public building? a house? a monument? a construction (such as a bridge)?
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 577
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you know where it is because you had already been there? Is it in your hometown? Did you know it because it has to do with one of your hobbies/interests?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12111
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did the person refer directly to the name of the place you recognised? Yes or did you recognise it from the description?

is the building famous? It's fairly well-known, I think. is it a school? It is, No to rest a church? a public building? a house? a monument? a construction (such as a bridge)?

Did you know where it is because you had already been there? Sort of - I'd driven past it more than a few times. Is it in your hometown? No, but... Did you know it because it has to do with one of your hobbies/interests? No
Galfisk (Galfisk)

Post Number: 3771
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the person telling a joke? Did you miss the point? Did the point hinge on not knowing where the building was? Did the person speaking know where it was? Relevant?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12122
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the person telling a joke? Yope, and minor FA Did you miss the point? No Did the point hinge on not knowing where the building was? No Did the person speaking know where it was? Yes and No Relevant? Yes
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was it a school the speaker had attended?

did you get the joke? was it in fact a joke? an anecdote?

was it odd that you should know where it was? is the school far from the Elon campus?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12123
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was it a school the speaker had attended? Yes, but...

did you get the joke? Yes was it in fact a joke? Yope an anecdote? Yope

was it odd that you should know where it was? Not really is the school far from the Elon campus? Very

Remember where I was at the time - that will help clear up a lot of the confusion.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

would the rest of the audience have recognised the name of the school?

was it in another country?

is there more than one school with this name?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12140
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

would the rest of the audience have recognised the name of the school? Some of them probably did

was it in another country? No

is there more than one school with this name? I don't think so
Eli (Eli)
Username: Eli

Post Number: 1944
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it the name itself that caused the humour? Does it sound like it is made up?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12147
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it the name itself that caused the humour? Does it sound like it is made up? No to both
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Did the person speaking know where it was? Yes and No" and "was it a school the speaker had attended? Yes, but..."

had the speaker only visited the school? without knowing where it was? had the speaker been kidnapped and taken there?

had the speaker been there physically in person?

had the speaker been there as a very small child? or unconscious?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12151
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Did the person speaking know where it was? Yes and No" and "was it a school the speaker had attended? Yes, but..."

had the speaker only visited the school? without knowing where it was? had the speaker been kidnapped and taken there? No to these

had the speaker been there physically in person? Again, Yes and No

had the speaker been there as a very small child? or unconscious? No to both

HINT: Remember what building I was in - that should help tell you who the speaker was.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 589
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you see a play? Did one of the actors say it? Did the character go to the school, but the actor didn't?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12154
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you see a play? Did one of the actors say it? Did the character go to the school, but the actor didn't? Yes to all!
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 590
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he say something like "I went to XY school"? Did another actor say something relevant afterwards?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12155
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2011 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he say something like "I went to XY school"? Yes, FA Did another actor say something relevant afterwards? Just the rest of the "joke"
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2011 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did the character he was playing only visit the school? or attend as a pupil?

school = high school? college? university? grammar?

was the character a woman?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12159
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2011 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did the character he was playing only visit the school? or attend as a pupil? This, FA

school = high school? college? university? grammar? According to its Wikipedia page, it's a college prep school.

was the character a woman? Yes - FA cleared!
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 620
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the other actor say something like:
"Where the heck is that?"
"Isn't that in YZ?"
"Does that even exist?"
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 711
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you go to the school? Is it in your hometown? Was the play in your hometown? (I know certain movie lines involving Poughkeepsie draw singificantly more laughter in Poughkeepsie than they would elsewhere. For instance, my mom went to see Sex in the City which contains a part where a character gets several hundred pudding packets made in Poughkeepsie, then eats them all and "Poughkeepsies in her pants". She says when she saw it, the entire theater broke out into hysterics, although it likely would have only drawn a few chuckles elsewhere. Is it something along these lines?
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 712
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By "was the play in your hometown" I mean was the theater where you watched it in your hometown. Although now I also should probably ask if it's in the same town as the school. And also if the play takes place in the same town as the school/your hometown. So I will.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it co-ed? all boys? all girls? did the joke hinge around the fact that she couldn't or shouldn't have gone there?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12195
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the other actor say something like:
"Where the heck is that?"
"Isn't that in YZ?"
"Does that even exist?" No - for the purposes of the puzzle, it's irrelevant what the other actor said.

Did you go to the school? No Is it in your hometown? No, but it's in my home state. Was the play in your hometown? No, it was put on at Elon. (I know certain movie lines involving Poughkeepsie draw singificantly more laughter in Poughkeepsie than they would elsewhere. For instance, my mom went to see Sex in the City which contains a part where a character gets several hundred pudding packets made in Poughkeepsie, then eats them all and "Poughkeepsies in her pants". She says when she saw it, the entire theater broke out into hysterics, although it likely would have only drawn a few chuckles elsewhere. Is it something along these lines? No

By "was the play in your hometown" I mean was the theater where you watched it in your hometown. Although now I also should probably ask if it's in the same town as the school. And also if the play takes place in the same town as the school/your hometown. So I will. No to all

is it co-ed? all boys? all girls? This, and No did the joke hinge around the fact that she couldn't or shouldn't have gone there? No

For the sake of the puzzle, you just need to figure out the school. If you can name the play, that's a bonus.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12196
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BLOOPER: I don't know why I wrote "This, and No" in the last line of responses. The relevant school is an all-girls school.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12252
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eh, you've got enough information for the

**********SPOILER**********

On Feb. 13, I went to see the musical Rent at a theater on campus. During the song "Tango: Maureen," one of the characters (Mark) has the following banter with another character (Joanne):

MARK: Where'd you learn to tango?

JOANNE: With the French Ambassador's daughter in her dorm room at Miss Porter's. And you?

MARK: With Nanette Himmelfarb. The Rabbi's daughter at the Scarsdale Jewish Community Center.

While everyone else was laughing over the joke, I was too busy being excited over knowing where Miss Porter's is - it's a private girls' school in Connecticut, and I've driven past it a few times. My high school played sports against them as well (only the girls' teams, obviously).

Nice work Doriana, Gregoryuconn, Shez, et al.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Balin - that was a hard one.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 667
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2011 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice puzzle (:
I started going through the list of private schools in Connecticut on wikipedia but got bored quite fast and gave up, lol.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: