[Doriana] Scrund fact Friday Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - February 2011 » [Doriana] Scrund fact Friday « Previous Next »

Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 580
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yesterday, a friend of mine told me an interesting "fun fact" which would have made a nice puzzle. But I just checked it and found out that this "fact" is only partly true.

I'll run this as a mix of a normal and a scrund puzzle, I'll give you the puzzle statement that I would have used and you can guess both the fact and the scrund. I hope I didn't confuse you too much (:

You would say that - compared to similar objects - it is rather long, but scientifically seen, it is one of the shortest.
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 3784
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it manmade? Alive? Is it longer than a: finger? Pen? Soda bottle? Cane? Person? Car? Railroad car? Train?
One of the shortest: in absolute length? In comparison to something else?
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 3785
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or is length in time relevant?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"you" = you?

i hope it's not rude?

is it a tangible object? or a sound? a wavelength?

would scientifically be with the aid of a scientific instrument? eg a microscope? a measuring instrument? or scientifically in a more philosophical way, from a scientific point of view?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12138
Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Scientifically seen" - actually viewed? With the naked eye? Or from a certain scientific perspective?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 582
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it manmade? Alive? this Is it longer than a: finger? Pen? this Soda bottle? Cane? Person? Car? Railroad car? Train?
One of the shortest: in absolute length? In comparison to something else? yes to both

Or is length in time relevant? no

"you" = you? you = people in general

i hope it's not rude? no

is it a tangible object? this or a sound? a wavelength?

would scientifically be with the aid of a scientific instrument? noish eg a microscope? a measuring instrument? noish or scientifically in a more philosophical way, from a scientific point of view? it's rather something like that - I wouldn't call it philosophical though, but it has to do with a point of view

"Scientifically seen" - actually viewed? With the naked eye? Or from a certain scientific perspective? this-ish
Eli (Eli)
Username: Eli

Post Number: 1943
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a spesific science relevant? biology? botany? anatomy? zoology?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 583
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a spesific science relevant? biology? this botany? anatomy? zoology? and more specifically this
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12145
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the "object" an animal? Fungus? Plant? Bacteria? Protist? Other microorganism?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 584
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the "object" an animal? part of it Fungus? Plant? Bacteria? Protist? Other microorganism?
Tortiekitten (Tortiekitten)
Username: Tortiekitten

Post Number: 264
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmmmmm...a living pen

Does it have to do with a squid's "pen"?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3176
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

doriana kitteh just said it was longer than a pen, not that it was a pen, silly sibling! :-P
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is this part of an animal a limb? a tooth or tusk? an organ?

a mammal? reptile? bird? fish? insect?

compared with the same part of of all animals or just that kind?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 585
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have to do with a squid's "pen"? your kitteh sibling is right, I was talking about the length of it (: - so, no pen involved

is this part of an animal a limb? a tooth or tusk? an organ? none of these

a mammal? reptile? bird? this fish? insect?

compared with the same part of of all animals no or just that kind? compared to other birds
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a beak or bill? tail? crest?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 586
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a beak or bill? this tail? crest?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is this because although it looks long, using the scientific defintion of a beak or bill - like where it starts and ends - means that it's actually quite short?

do scientists measure the beak from the nostrils to the tip and some birds have the nostrils down at the end of their beak?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 587
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is this because although it looks long, using the scientific defintion of a beak or bill - like where it starts and ends - means that it's actually quite short? I'd love to say YES!, but see next answer

do scientists measure the beak from the nostrils to the tip and some birds have the nostrils down at the end of their beak? Very OTRT! But remember that there's a scrund involved, and try to find out what bird I'm talking about
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

kiwi?

do they really not have nostrils at the end of their beak?

or do scientists not measure the length from the nostril?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 588
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

kiwi? YES!

do they really not have nostrils at the end of their beak? no, they do

or do scientists not measure the length from the nostril? That's it, and it's time for the

********SPOILER********
Kiwis are the only birds whose nostrils are at the end of their beaks. My friend told me that since they are measured from the nostrils to the end, kiwis have really short beaks although they look long.
I wanted to make a puzzle out of it, but checked the fact before only to find out that it's not true.

Nice work everyone, and congratulations for the solve, Shez! (:
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12148
Posted on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clever! Sorry I missed it.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: