[gregoryuconn] The Hireling and Slave Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - February 2011 » [gregoryuconn] The Hireling and Slave « Previous Next »

Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 739
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If that's the case, then I'm a spy too.

Could be a quickie!
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12272
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the statement spoken sarcastically?

"I" = you (Gregory)?

Is the statement in response to another statement? An action?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 116
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is someone else actually a spy? or thinks they are? or others think he/she is?

Post Number: 744
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the statement spoken sarcastically? I wouldn't exactly call it "sarcastic" as much as witty. But it could be perceived as such.

"I" = you (Gregory)? yes

Is the statement in response to another statement? Yes An action? Somewhat this too

is someone else actually a spy? Assume yes or thinks they are? Presumably he knows it. or others think he/she is? But this is what matters.
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do others think he's a spy because of his name? his appearance? things he says? something he does?

ooh - is it a man? real? fictional?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 4673
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, I reckon I know this one. Anything to do with an Isaac Asimov story? A certain incident during WWII?

Post Number: 746
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do others think he's a spy because of his name? his appearance? things he says? this, no to rest something he does?

ooh - is it a man? yes real? No! fictional? Yes!

Yeah, I reckon I know this one. Anything to do with an Isaac Asimov story? A certain incident during WWII? Bingo. Would you like to $poail?

Post Number: 750
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I want to post my next puzzle, and Jenburdoo's got it, so I'm just going to

****SPOILER***
This is based on the Isaac Asimov short story "No Refuge Could Save". In this story, Captain Griswold (central character) explains that in World war II he was questioning a suspected German spy. While playing Word association, he mentions "terror of flight" to which the suspect replied "gloom of the grave". According to Griswold, this proves he was a spy trained up in Americanisms because no real American would have actually heard that line from the third-verse of the star spangled banner "No refuge could save/the hireling and slave/from the terror of flight/to the gloom of the grave" although Griswold does add "except for me because I know everything." Read the Wikipedia article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Refuge_Could_Save

And play my new puzzle
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 4681
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Supposedly, during the Battle of the Bulge when disguised Germans had infiltrated the American lines, a US sergeant really did use this as his challenge when he was unsure who he was facing. "Sing the third verse of the Star Spangled Banner." (Others used questions like "Who won the last World Series?") Trouble was that he was probably the only American in the area who knew the entire anthem, and so confused American troops who had no idea the anthem had a third verse and whom he arrested as possible German scouts.

Post Number: 761
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Supposedly, during the Battle of the Bulge when disguised Germans had infiltrated the American lines, a US sergeant really did use this as his challenge when he was unsure who he was facing. "Sing the third verse of the Star Spangled Banner." (Others used questions like "Who won the last World Series?") Trouble was that he was probably the only American in the area who knew the entire anthem, and so confused American troops who had no idea the anthem had a third verse and whom he arrested as possible German scouts. Interesting. Of course, the point of why I'm a spy is that I actually know the national anthem, all four verses of it. So therefore, according to Griswold, I must be a spy.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12298
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had to memorize the entire anthem back in 7th or 8th grade. I've forgotten most of it now.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 4683
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know it too, though I'm iffy on the third verse. I actually like the second better than the first - it answers the question of whether the flag is still there, rather than asking it -- and I tend to sing it during public occasions (baseball games, etc).

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: