[RedWine] Washing up Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - March 2011 » [RedWine] Washing up « Previous Next »

Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 584
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hate washing up. Today I had all my dirty dishes washed up for me. However, I was not happy about this at all. Why?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do you normally use a dishwasher?

were they washed by H/A/M?

using a dishwasher or by hand?

was the water supply OK?
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 3794
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they clean afterwards? Did an animal lick them clean? Were they damaged? Were you unhappy by the fact that they were washed up? Or by something else in the situation?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 585
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shez:
do you normally use a dishwasher? no

were they washed by H/A/M? HAF

using a dishwasher or by hand? by hand

was the water supply OK? yes

GalFisk:
Were they clean afterwards? yes Did an animal lick them clean? no Were they damaged? no Were you unhappy by the fact that they were washed up? yope Or by something else in the situation? yes, this too
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12326
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they washed in a basin? In a sink? In a tub? In the shower?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 586
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin:
Were they washed in a basin? In a sink? this In a tub? In the shower?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12337
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were any non-dirty dishes washed too? Were any utensils?

Is it relevant who washed them?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if I came home and found my dirty dishes had been washed up, it would be because my mother had been to my house and decided to help out

did you know at the time who had washed them?

were you ashamed that someone had found your dirty dishes?
Martinfg (Martinfg)
Username: Martinfg

Post Number: 939
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you planning on washing them later?
Did you want someone else to do it?
Rbruma (Rbruma)
Username: Rbruma

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you not satisfied with the end result (the cleanliness of the dishes)? Is it relevant who was the person doing the job? Did you request this job to be done for you, or was it coming from her? Did the fact that you didn't do it put you into a bad position? Did that person discover that you are eating something considered (by her) unhealthy? Are any other persons relevant? If so: 1? 2? 3? more?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 594
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin:
Were any non-dirty dishes washed too? no Were any utensils? only those which needed washing up

Is it relevant who washed them? yes

Shez:
if I came home and found my dirty dishes had been washed up, it would be because my mother had been to my house and decided to help out that's OTRT

did you know at the time who had washed them? yes

were you ashamed that someone had found your dirty dishes? yes, but there's something more important

Martinfg:
Were you planning on washing them later? yes, they needed to be washed up
Did you want someone else to do it? probably not

Rbruma:
Were you not satisfied with the end result (the cleanliness of the dishes)? they were cleaner that I would do this myself Is it relevant who was the person doing the job? yes Did you request this job to be done for you, no or was it coming from her? yes Did the fact that you didn't do it put you into a bad position? not really Did that person discover that you are eating something considered (by her) unhealthy? no Are any other persons relevant? If so: 1? 2? 3? more? only me and person who washed up the dishes.
Potato (Potato)
Username: Potato

Post Number: 379
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she a relative of yours? A friend? Someone living with you? Someone you had wanted to impress? Someone you had wanted to show a clean home to? Is she a person for whom tidyness is more important than it is for the average person? Had you told her that your home would be perfectly clean?

Would she have done any other chore for you if she had considered it necessary, like vacumming the floor if it had been too dirty for her standards? Or was it limited to the dishes only? Had you planned to cook together? And you were late and so she started to clean up to pass the time?

Was it greatly inconvenient for her to wash your dishes? Because there were so many of them? Or was it, for some reason, more inconvenient for her than for most other persons? Did she have an injury or something else that made it difficult for her to clean up?

Had you expected her to be at your place? Was there anything else in your home that you didn't want her to see/smell/hear/whatever? In your kitchen?

While she was cleaning up, did she wash/throw away something that you still needed? Some leftover food?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 596
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Potato:
Is she a relative of yours? yes A friend? Someone living with you? Someone you had wanted to impress? Someone you had wanted to show a clean home to? a bit of this Is she a person for whom tidyness is more important than it is for the average person? Had you told her that your home would be perfectly clean? no to the rest

Would she have done any other chore for you if she had considered it necessary, like vacumming the floor if it had been too dirty for her standards? yes Or was it limited to the dishes only? Had you planned to cook together? no And you were late and so she started to clean up to pass the time? so no

Was it greatly inconvenient for her to wash your dishes? no, she wanted to do this Because there were so many of them? there were, but this is not relevant Or was it, for some reason, more inconvenient for her than for most other persons? Did she have an injury or something else that made it difficult for her to clean up? no to the rest

Had you expected her to be at your place? YOPE Was there anything else in your home that you didn't want her to see/smell/hear/whatever? my home is usually more messy that she would like to :-) In your kitchen? ditto

While she was cleaning up, did she wash/throw away something that you still needed? no Some leftover food? so no.
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3223
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is she your mom? (mommee kitteh and kaylee kitteh haz different ideaz on what iz properlee cleaned!)
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1407
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 4:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you not happy because: her washing the dishes or her being in your home in the first place?

Did she come by while you were away? Apart from doing the job, did she do something else of relevance? Did she discover something you wanted to keep hidden (like a present for her, for example)?

Given the upcoming event revealed in another puzzle: is she your future mother-in-law? Sister-in-law?
Potato (Potato)

Post Number: 382
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she have her own key to your home? Or did somebody let her in? Without your consent?

You said "yope" to the question whether you had expected her there or not... So had you expected her to be at your place but at a different time? Earlier? Later? Was her being early/late inconvenient to you? Because you still had to do something before meeting her? Or had you planned to meet somewhere else?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 599
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

KayleeTonksLupin:
is she your mom? yes, she is (mommee kitteh and kaylee kitteh haz different ideaz on what iz properlee cleaned!) yeah

Rbruma:
Were you not happy because: her washing the dishes a bit of this or her being in your home in the first place? but mostly this

Did she come by while you were away? no Apart from doing the job, did she do something else of relevance? yes Did she discover something you wanted to keep hidden (like a present for her, for example)? no

Given the upcoming event revealed in another puzzle: is she your future mother-in-law? Sister-in-law? see above

Potato:
Did she have her own key to your home? yes, but she doesn't use it Or did somebody let her in? Without your consent? so no

You said "yope" to the question whether you had expected her there or not... So had you expected her to be at your place but at a different time? Earlier? Later? Was her being early/late inconvenient to you? Because you still had to do something before meeting her? Or had you planned to meet somewhere else? no to all, that's OTWT
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12346
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she arrive unexpectedly?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 604
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin:
Did she arrive unexpectedly? no
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So -- are the following correct: Your mom let you know that she will come by your house at a certain time. You were home when she came and not surprised by her coming. She -- among other things, of which at least one is relevant -- washed your dishes. You were disturbed or upset as a result. True?

Then now -- the other thing had any connection with washing the dishes? Or merely with the fact that she was in your home? Is the timing relevant? (Her being in after a party, or in a weekend as opposed to a work day, or in the morning as opposed to in the evening)

Is her habit to sometimes pass by and help her daughter on domestic issues, or this was an exception? Were you not happy because of past events (for example, her having an accident and not respecting doctor's orders to stay and rest in bed? or having a disease?)

Would the same reaction be triggered by someone else than your mom? Your sister? (Provided there's one) Your father? Your fiance?

Were you concerned about her health? Her money-spending? Or you were just annoyed at her being at your place?

Relevant if she is your real mother? Step mother?

If all of the above are a no, maybe a hint will help.
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 608
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rbruma:
So -- are the following correct: Your mom let you know that she will come by your house at a certain time. this is literally true, but very misleading You were home when she came and not surprised by her coming. She -- among other things, of which at least one is relevant -- washed your dishes. You were disturbed or upset as a result. True? yes

Then now -- the other thing had any connection with washing the dishes? no Or merely with the fact that she was in your home? yes, specifically WHY she was in my home. Is the timing relevant? (Her being in after a party, or in a weekend as opposed to a work day, or in the morning as opposed to in the evening) irrelevant, but knowing that it was during my working hours may help

Is her habit to sometimes pass by and help her daughter on domestic issues, no or this was an exception? yes Were you not happy because of past events (for example, her having an accident and not respecting doctor's orders to stay and rest in bed? or having a disease?) no, I was concerned of present events

Would the same reaction be triggered by someone else than your mom? Your sister? (Provided there's one) Your father? yes for those people Your fiance? and no here - it's normal he should care for our household.

Were you concerned about her health? quite contrarily Her money-spending? Or you were just annoyed at her being at your place? no to the rest

Relevant if she is your real mother? this and irrelevant. Step mother?

If all of the above are a no, maybe a hint will help.
HINT: to clear out the unexpected/expected thing, the day before I didn't expect the situation behind this at all, but when this situation happened, I started expecting my mother
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 166
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were you not happy because of the reason she came to the house? to bring you bad news?

was she also unhappy?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 610
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shez:
were you not happy because of the reason she came to the house? yes indeed to bring you bad news? no

was she also unhappy? yes
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 615
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HINT: Why could one be at home during working hours?

Post Number: 3224
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Illness? An appointment that you had which caused your boss to give you the day off?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 616
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

KayleeTonksLupin
Illness? this An appointment that you had which caused your boss to give you the day off?

Now just need to put everything together
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12400
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you not want your mother doting on you? Did you only have a minor illness? Were you able to perform ordinary tasks?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 617
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin:
Did you not want your mother doting on you? there is something in it, but my major reason was another Did you only have a minor illness? it seemed dangerous at first, but I recovered soon Were you able to perform ordinary tasks? no, not on that day - but my fiance can take care of household
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did your mother mistrust your fiance's ability to handle the job?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

could your fiance not come home to look after you? were you disappointed that he didn't do that?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 618
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rbruma:
Did your mother mistrust your fiance's ability to handle the job? maybe a bit - I think she just wanted to help me

Shez:
could your fiance not come home to look after you? he could were you disappointed that he didn't do that? so no
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 619
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RECAP
Recently I was a bit ill and my mother came to take care of me. Willing to help me, she washed up all my dirty dishes. I was not happy about that for two major reasons. First of all, I would prefer to be healthy, even if I had to do the washing up myself. The second is....
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12408
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did your mother dote on you hand-and-foot?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 630
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin:
Did your mother dote on you hand-and-foot? no, and OTWT
Rbruma (Rbruma)

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she accidentally break something while doing the dishes?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 638
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rbruma:
Did she accidentally break something while doing the dishes? no
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 829
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she mess up your organizational system? And put the sporks with the foons or something like that?
Potato (Potato)

Post Number: 389
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Didn't you want her to be at our home in the first place? Did you want her to do something different for you but she insisted in washing your dishes? Was she complaining about something? If so, was it about your housekeeping (like your organizational system or stuff)? Or about your fiancee not being around?
Potato (Potato)

Post Number: 390
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she continuously asking where to put the dry dishes?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 641
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gregoryuconn:
Did she mess up your organizational system? And put the sporks with the foons or something like that? no to both
Potato:
Didn't you want her to be at our home in the first place? no, I wanted her to come Did you want her to do something different for you but she insisted in washing your dishes? YES! Was she complaining about something? If so, was it about your housekeeping (like your organizational system or stuff)? Or about your fiancee not being around? no to the rest
Was she continuously asking where to put the dry dishes? no
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 240
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did you want her to come and keep you company?
Redwine (Redwine)

Post Number: 648
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shez:
did you want her to come and keep you company? YES!

********SPOILER*********
Recently I was a bit ill and my mother came to take care of me. Willing to help me, she washed up all my dirty dishes. I was not happy about that for two major reasons. First of all, I would prefer to be healthy, even if I had to do the washing up myself. The second is, that I would prefer she kept me company instead of doing housework.
Well done everybody, and congrats to Shez and Potato for the final solve.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 244
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks Redwine. this could so easily have been me and my mother!

Post Number: 3284
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hope you're better now Redwine! *hugs*

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: