[gregoryuconn] A March Madness Neologism Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - April 2011 » [gregoryuconn] A March Madness Neologism « Previous Next »

Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 867
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is for all you basketball fans out there: What is a BP Upset?
Kaygee (Kaygee)
Username: Kaygee

Post Number: 776
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have anything to do with the BP Oil?
And congrats on leading in the LTPF bracket - so far...
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2414
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If not BP Oil (as Kaygee suggests), are BP intials that stand for something? If so, is the B for basketball? ball?
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12609
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can a BP upset happen in the 1st round? 2nd? 3rd? [LTPF list of rounds]? Any round?

Are the seeds of teams in a BP upset relevant?

Post Number: 871
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it have anything to do with the BP Oil? No
And congrats on leading in the LTPF bracket - so far... thanks

If not BP Oil (as Kaygee suggests), are BP intials that stand for something? yes If so, is the B for basketball? ball? Not these though

Can a BP upset happen in the 1st round? 2nd? 3rd? [LTPF list of rounds]? Any round? Note: I'm assuming by "1st Round" you mean what is technically called the "Second Round" since the "First Round" is the "First Four" Play-in games. If you meant this, then it could theoretically happen in any round other than the Championship game, but it is more likely to happen in the First two rounds.

Are the seeds of teams in a BP upset relevant? Yes, somewhat
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12614
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ESPN's "national bracket" relevant?

Would Richmond's first win be considered a BP upset? Morehead State's? VCU's first win? VCU's second? Marquette's first? Second? Florida State's first? Second? Butler's first win? Second?

Would George Mason's upset of UConn in the Elite Eight a few years ago qualify?

Post Number: 873
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ESPN's "national bracket" relevant? No

Would Richmond's first win be considered a BP upset? Could be, but FA Morehead State's? Also coul be, FA again though VCU's first win? Probably not, same FA VCU's second? Could be, same FA Marquette's first? Not really, same FA Second? More likely, same FA Florida State's first? Unlikely, FA Second? Unlikely again, FA Butler's first win? This wasn't an upset, so no Second? Possibly, but again FA

Would George Mason's upset of UConn in the Elite Eight a few years ago qualify? It could, but you have the same FA you had for the previous questions

Post Number: 874
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

***SLIGHT BLOOPER**** "VCU's first win" does not include their win over USC in the First Four. I'm assuming you intended it that way.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12618
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a BP Upset a game? In the bracket? That is ordinarily considered an upset?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2417
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the seeds of the teams involved important, specifically? I mean, of course the loser has to be a higher seed than the winner, or it's not an upset, but does it matter if it's, say, a 1-seed vs. an 8-seed?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2419
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, does it matter how many points the upset team loses by for it to qualify as a BP upset? Is there a minimum threshold?

Post Number: 875
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a BP Upset a game? Yesish In the bracket? Yesish That is ordinarily considered an upset? yes

Are the seeds of the teams involved important, specifically? I mean, of course the loser has to be a higher seed than the winner, or it's not an upset, but does it matter if it's, say, a 1-seed vs. an 8-seed? not necessarily, but matchups between certain seeds are more likely to be BP Upsets

Also, does it matter how many points the upset team loses by for it to qualify as a BP upset? Is there a minimum threshold? No, On the wrong track

The preceding questions still have the same FA
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2420
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it an upset in the traditional sense of upset? That is, one team that is supposed to be much better gets beat unexpectedly by a supposedly much worse team?

At what point is it considered a BP Upset? When the bracket is made/opponents are determined? After that, but before the game actually starts? At a specific moment during the game? At the end of the game? After the game?
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 3364
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And congrats on leading in the LTPF bracket - so far... thanks What does this mean?

Are points spreads relevant?

Post Number: 877
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it an upset in the traditional sense of upset? That is, one team that is supposed to be much better gets beat unexpectedly by a supposedly much worse team? It is

At what point is it considered a BP Upset? When the bracket is made/opponents are determined? After that, but before the game actually starts? At a specific moment during the game? At the end of the game? After the game? Well, the game wouldn't be an upset until it ends, so I guess the last one

And congrats on leading in the LTPF bracket - so far... thanks What does this mean? It means that I am winning the LTPF Bracket Competition, where we have to pick who wins each game in the tournament before it starts. *this question amuses me, but I can't say why *

Are points spreads relevant? No
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2424
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there more than one game that is relevant? Perhaps a team loses to a team that they beat earlier in the season?
Kaygee (Kaygee)

Post Number: 778
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does a BP Upset have anything to do with the bracket you set-up for us?

Can one see a BP Upset by carefully watching our results on the ESPN website?
Cupofsun1 (Cupofsun1)
Username: Cupofsun1

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Buzzer beaters relevant? Overtime? Is a specific team relevant?

Uconn relevant, just as a long shot? Since GregUconn and I both live there it seems it comes up a lot!

BP = Best player? Getting ejected? Getting benched? Fouling out?

Post Number: 879
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there more than one game that is relevant? Yesish/Yope Perhaps a team loses to a team that they beat earlier in the season? But not this

Does a BP Upset have anything to do with the bracket you set-up for us? Noish/Yope, but very OTRT

Can one see a BP Upset by carefully watching our results on the ESPN website? Yesish, could mislead. Explore this

Buzzer beaters relevant? Overtime? Is a specific team relevant? No to all

Uconn relevant, just as a long shot? Since GregUconn and I both live there it seems it comes up a lot! No

BP = Best player? Getting ejected? Getting benched? Fouling out? No to all
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2427
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the upset party team that is playing, but a person who created a bracket? Is it a better (i.e. more logical based on team rankings) bracket being beat by a worse bracket?

Post Number: 880
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the upset party team that is playing, but a person who created a bracket? Not entirely sure what you're asking here, please rephrase Is it a better (i.e. more logical based on team rankings) bracket being beat by a worse bracket? No
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12648
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are multiple brackets relevant?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2428
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure how to rephrase. Basically I'm still trying to figure out what our FA is. I was wondering whether it was that we were assuming that the thing that was upset was a team in a basketball game. But during the basketball tourney, there's another kind of competition going on, which is, of course, among all of the people who have filled out their bracket predictions. so...

I guess what I'm asking is who the "victim" of the upset is. Is it, as we have been assuming, a team? Is it a member of the team? a member of the coaching staff? the team owner? or is the victim not actually someone directly involved with a basketball game at all? Someone involved in a separate but related competition? Someone involved in filling out a bracket to predict who will win?

Post Number: 885
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are multiple brackets relevant? </b> No, but see below </b>

I'm not sure how to rephrase. Basically I'm still trying to figure out what our FA is. I was wondering whether it was that we were assuming that the thing that was upset was a team in a basketball game. But during the basketball tourney, there's another kind of competition going on, which is, of course, among all of the people who have filled out their bracket predictions. so...

I guess what I'm asking is who the "victim" of the upset is. Is it, as we have been assuming, a team? Is it a member of the team? a member of the coaching staff? the team owner? or is the victim not actually someone directly involved with a basketball game at all? Someone involved in a separate but related competition? Someone involved in filling out a bracket to predict who will win? Ok, I'm going to answer this the best I can. The "BP Upset" refers to the game itself, which in fact ends in an upset (I suppose theoretically based on the definition it doesn't have to, but I highly doubt this would ever occur). However, brackets in the bracket competition are relevant, and what is a BP upset for me in my bracket may not be a BP upset in your bracket and vice versa. And anyone who wants to look at my bracket as a hint can find it at http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/en/entry?entryID=2107205

Post Number: 886
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slight clarification: Earlier, I mentioned that VCU's second win (not including the First Four win against USC, which I refuse to include in tournament results) "could be" considered a BP upset. This could be deceiving. At the time VCU won, it probably appeared to be a BP upset for a lot of people. However, in hindsight, it probably wouldn't be for many at all. It might help to explore this.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2429
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your whole bracket gets destroyed sometimes when you pick a team to win out (or at least make it to the final four) and then they lose in the first or second round. It seems like that would be a bigger upset than a normal ol' upset...relevant?

Post Number: 891
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your whole bracket gets destroyed sometimes when you pick a team to win out (or at least make it to the final four) and then they lose in the first or second round. It seems like that would be a bigger upset than a normal ol' upset...relevant? Yes, but that's totally irrelevant to this puzzle.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2431
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which of the following losses in your bracket would you consider a BP upset?

Xavier to Marquette?
UNLV to Illinois?
Vanderbilt to Richmond?
Georgetown to VCU?
Texas A&M to FL ST?
Notre Dame to FL St?
Purdue to VCU?
Louisville to Morehead St?

Post Number: 892
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which of the following losses in your bracket would you consider a BP upset?

Xavier to Marquette? No
UNLV to Illinois? No
Vanderbilt to Richmond? No, but for a different reason than the first two
Georgetown to VCU? This is a tricky one to classify. I'll say Yesish
Texas A&M to FL ST? No
Notre Dame to FL St? No
Purdue to VCU? Another tricky one to classify. I'll say Yope
Louisville to Morehead St? Yes
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2432
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whoops, I missed these. Would you consider either to be a BP upset?

Pittsburgh to Butler?
St Johns to Gonzaga?

Post Number: 895
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whoops, I missed these. Would you consider either to be a BP upset?

Pittsburgh to Butler? Yesish, could turn into a yes by the time the night's through
St Johns to Gonzaga? Probably not, though you could make a case that it was
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2433
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are any of the following losses BP upsets in President Obama's bracket: http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/en/entry?entryID=4267886?

Xavier to Marquette?
UNLV to Illinois?
Vanderbilt to Richmond?
Georgetown to VCU?
Texas A&M to FL ST?
Notre Dame to FL St?
Purdue to VCU?
Louisville to Morehead St?
Pittsburgh to Butler?
St Johns to Gonzaga?

Post Number: 898
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are any of the following losses BP upsets in President Obama's bracket: http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/en/entry?entryID=4267886? That's not the right link, but I found it

Xavier to Marquette? This is tricky. I'll say Yope
UNLV to Illinois? No, for the same reason as Vandy-Richmond in mine as well as the same reason as this game in mine.
Vanderbilt to Richmond? No, for the same reason it was in mine, which is different from the reason all the others are unless I say otherwise
Georgetown to VCU? Tricky like mine. I'll say Yesish
Texas A&M to FL ST? No, for both reasons
Notre Dame to FL St? No
Purdue to VCU? No
Louisville to Morehead St? No
Pittsburgh to Butler? No
St Johns to Gonzaga? No, for the same reason as Vandy-Richmond in mine

Post Number: 899
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, come to think of it, any upset that fails the Vandy-Richmond reason would also fail the other reason one way or another. So keep that in mind.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2434
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

can you share the link you found so that we're looking at the same bracket?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2435
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh wait, what I posted is the right link, except that the question mark from my question got added to the hyperlink, right?
http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/en/entry?entryID=4267886
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12671
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking at your bracket told me UConn won today - I've been out all day.

Was Vandy-Richmond not a BP Upset in yours because you picked Richmond?

Post Number: 903
Posted on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was Vandy-Richmond not a BP Upset in yours because you picked Richmond? Yes

Post Number: 913
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way, Pitt-Butler is indeed now a BP upset. Although actually, thinking back, it was probably already a BP upset. Which is incidentally why I called it a BP Upset to begin with, as in Buttler-Pitt. So at the time I posted that it was yesishly a BP upset, it already probably was, but now it definitely is.

Actually, let me make this more clear. Butler-Pitt would probably only have been yesishly a BP upset in the LTPF Pool at the time I posted. However, in the UConn Newspaper Bracket Pool, it would have been at the time it happened. That contest is viewable at http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/group/25824 I don't know if you'll be able to see it. If not, I'm willing to answer questions regarding any information that would be available if you had access, even if it's not in yes-no form.

Post Number: 914
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clarification again: At the time it happened, Butler-Pit would DEFINITELY have been a BP Upset.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12698
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, I don't have access.

For Butler/Pitt (ironically "BP"): Number of people who picked Butler relevant? Number who picked Pitt?

Number of people who had Pitt in the Final Four relevant? The championship game? Winning? Same with Butler?

Post Number: 915
Posted on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, I don't have access.

For Butler/Pitt (ironically "BP"): Number of people who picked Butler relevant? Number who picked Pitt? Yes to both, and since you don't have access I'll tell you that a lot of people picked Pitt but none of the contenders picked Butler. I also picked Pitt.

Number of people who had Pitt in the Final Four relevant? The championship game? Winning? Same with Butler? Indeed. Many people had Pitt in the Final Four/Championship game, but none of the contenders had Butler (some picking randomly may have but they wouldn't win anyway)

Note: My bracket is the same on yahoo as in the LTPF group so just look there
Kaygee (Kaygee)

Post Number: 782
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry...but all I have to say is that I am disgusted with my bracket choices. sigh...

Post Number: 925
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 3:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry...but all I have to say is that I am disgusted with my bracket choices. sigh... Me too. I need to have more faith in UConn. But seriously... It's been four days... No questions?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2454
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If someone had picked Butler, would that game still have been a BP upset?

Post Number: 928
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If someone had picked Butler, would that game still have been a BP upset? No, assuming they had had actually picked a serious bracket and not picked randomly. Good question!

Post Number: 929
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blooper: I answered that question as in if someone had picked Butler to win the Championship. It could still have been a BP upset if someone had picked them to win the game, depending on other factors.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12748
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a BP upset one which is not picked on a certain bracket?

Post Number: 933
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a BP upset one which is not picked on a certain bracket? If I understand correctly, you are asking whether a BP upset in Joe's bracket would be one Joe didn't pick. If so, then that is true, but there's more to it.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12752
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One which a majority of people didn't pick? One which nearly nobody picked? Which nobody is known to have picked?

Post Number: 937
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One which a majority of people didn't pick? Probably, but this is not the definition One which nearly nobody picked? Could be, once again, not the definition though Which nobody is known to have picked? Could be, but not the definition.

Note to avoid misleading: A BP Upset would very probably be one which a majority of people didn't pick, could be one which almost nobody picked, etc. However, the converse isn't true (ie just because a Majority of people didn't pick it does NOT mean it would be a BP Upset
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12762
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the score of the game relevant? If a major upset is close, could it be a BP upset? If it's a blowout? If it goes into overtime?

Post Number: 939
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the score of the game relevant? If a major upset is close, could it be a BP upset? If it's a blowout? If it goes into overtime? Irrelevant.

Post Number: 940
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whoah, can someone remove all that white space?

'
Kalira (Kalira)
Username: Kalira

Post Number: 626
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good grief, Greg, I think you broke the forum there...

Post Number: 949
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh no! I've never broken an entire forum before... Only a laptop. Or two. But never this much.

Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12801
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are experts' picks relevant?

Post Number: 955
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are experts' picks relevant? No. Just looked through my add-ons and found one that had previously given me problems on another site so I deactivated it but then it got reactivated when I upgraded Firefox. Hopefully this won't do a lot of spaces now
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12807
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do different people have different BP upsets?

Post Number: 960
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do different people have different BP upsets? YES! Good question. And important.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2464
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Back to the Butler-Pitt scenario. If someone had picked Butler to win the championship, would the Butler-Pitt game have been a BP upset for that person? Or for other people in the bracket competition who had not picked Butler?

Post Number: 966
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Back to the Butler-Pitt scenario. If someone had picked Butler to win the championship, would the Butler-Pitt game have been a BP upset for that person? No, especially seeing as they would have picked Butler over Pitt </b.> Possibly.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12817
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Continuing to use Butler/Pitt as an example...

If you thought Pitt would win, but picked Butler, is it still a BP upset? If you thought Butler would win, but picked Pitt, is it still a BP upset?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2466
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please clarify your previous answer. You said no, and then possibly. What does that mean?
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2467
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, continuing on my previous line of questioning:
If someone had picked Butler to win the championship, would the Butler-Pitt game have been a BP upset for people who had picked Pitt to win the game?

Post Number: 967
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you thought Pitt would win, but picked Butler, is it still a BP upset? No If you thought Butler would win, but picked Pitt, is it still a BP upset? It could be. It doesn't matter who I THOUGHT would win, it matters who I picked.

Please clarify your previous answer. You said no, and then possibly. What does that mean? Sorry... Should be the following...

Back to the Butler-Pitt scenario. If someone had picked Butler to win the championship, would the Butler-Pitt game have been a BP upset for that person? No, especially seeing as they would have picked Butler over Pitt Or for other people in the bracket competition who had not picked Butler? Possibly

Also, continuing on my previous line of questioning:
If someone had picked Butler to win the championship, would the Butler-Pitt game have been a BP upset for people who had picked Pitt to win the game? Didn't you just ask that? The forum must have screwed up my reply, but I just answered that (again). Hopefully it goes through.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2471
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I thought I had asked it already, but then I didn't see it so thought I must be imagining things. It turns out I'm just blind. =)

Post Number: 971
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I thought I had asked it already, but then I didn't see it so thought I must be imagining things. It turns out I'm just blind. =) Ok, now how about asking another question?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12856
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If Butler beats UConn tonight, will it be a BP upset in my bracket?

Post Number: 973
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If Butler beats UConn tonight, will it be a BP upset in my bracket? No. As a hint, the Final can never be a BP Upset.

Post Number: 976
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hint since this is going nowhere: Look at my other picks and ask about them. They may help you understand why it was a BP Upset.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12863
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can there be a BP upset in the women's bracket? Would either of yesterday's games (sorry about UConn; I had them too) be BP Upsets?

Post Number: 977
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can there be a BP upset in the women's bracket? yes Would either of yesterday's games (sorry about UConn; I had them too) be BP Upsets? not really
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12867
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So:

The seeding is relevant,
And there are different BP upsets per bracket.

Is this all we know so far? Or am I missing anything?

Post Number: 978
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So:

The seeding is relevant,
And there are different BP upsets per bracket.

Is this all we know so far? Or am I missing anything? Seeding isn't necessarily too relevant except that to qualify as a BP Upset, it must in fact be an upset. Although theoretically I suppose a higher-seeded team winning could be a BP Upset, though I highly doubt that. I could see some situations where it might happen though. Also, you know that certain games may have been BP Upsets for me in the Daily Campus contest but not in the LTPF Contest. You don't know why though, and finding that out might help.

Post Number: 979
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, remember: I'd let you look at the DC Contest, but unfortunately due to privacy settings you can't. So I'll answer any questions that could be answered by looking at the group, even if they're not in Yes/No form. This could be of a big help to you. I'd recommend using it.

Post Number: 980
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And you know that at least some of my other picks are relevant, which I revealed in a hint. Sorry to keep posting, but I can't edit my old posts and I keep thinking of new things you know.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2480
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MODERATORS:
Is there any way one of you can edit all the excessive space out of this thread from when Gregoryuconn was having technical difficulties? It's extremely hard to go back and reference old posts now. I know that sounds both whiny and lazy, but I'm not trying to be either one. It's just that I'm very interested in this puzzle but finding it almost impossible to participate in it at the moment because it's too hard to find information that I need from older posts.

Consider this scenario:
First Round:
Team X vs. Team Y. I pick Team X, but Team Y wins.
Second Round:
Team Y vs. Team Z. I pick Team Z, but Team Y wins.

Is a BP upset apparent in that scenario? If so, where?

Second scenario:
Same as above, but in round 2, I had actually picked team X to win (who lost in round 1).

Does the second scenario change anything related to BP upsets?

Post Number: 983
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First Round:
Team X vs. Team Y. I pick Team X, but Team Y wins.
Second Round:
Team Y vs. Team Z. I pick Team Z, but Team Y wins.

Is a BP upset apparent in that scenario? If so, where? Any of those could be. I'd need specifics. And I'd need to know who you picked in other games.

Second scenario:
Same as above, but in round 2, I had actually picked team X to win (who lost in round 1).

Does the second scenario change anything related to BP upsets? No, but Y over X would definitely NOT be a BP Upset.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2481
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I made the assumption in the above scenarios that all games were upsets (high seed losing to low seed). Without knowing about other games, does that information change anything about your answers to my most recent questions?

Post Number: 984
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I made the assumption in the above scenarios that all games were upsets (high seed losing to low seed). Without knowing about other games, does that information change anything about your answers to my most recent questions? No, it would not. But like I said, other games are relevant, so if you want to look over my bracket again, that might be a good idea. And you also might want to explore the idea of the bracket contest/group itself being relevant. Because I told you it is (actually I only implied it, but now I'm telling you)

Post Number: 985
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And by the way, they don't necessarily have to be upsets although in all likelihood they will be. However, there was one game in the tournament this past year that had the potential to be a "BP Upset" for some people in the Daily Campus pool, but wouldn't have actually been an upset based on seeding. identifying it might help.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12890
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does a BP upset substantially affect a person's chances of winning a bracket? Make it impossible for them to win?

Post Number: 987
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does a BP upset substantially affect a person's chances of winning a bracket? Yes! Make it impossible for them to win? But not this, at all.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2482
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does BP upset actually increase a person's chances of winning a bracket? Because it messes up other people's brackets more than that person's?

Post Number: 988
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does BP upset actually increase a person's chances of winning a bracket? Because it messes up other people's brackets more than that person's? BINGO!!!!!!!!! WE HAVE A

******SPOILER******
In a BP upset (for instance Butler over Pitt) it increases the "victim"'s chances of winning because it screws other people's brackets over more than theirs. I had Utah State beating Pitt in the Sweet 16, but that couldn't happen because they'd already lost to Kansas State. However, many people had Pitt winning in the Sweet 16, and many others had Wisconsin or Kansas State (who had not yet lost to the Badgers) beating Pitt. So if it were Pitt vs. Wisconsin/KSU, one way or the other, a lot of people would be getting points. However, with Butler (who nobody picked to win in the Sweet 16) beating Pitt, it allowed for a situation where while I didn't gain points, nobody else did either. Good job everyone, and especially Noel for that final push! Now for me new puzzle.
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2484
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Curious - what does the BP stand for in the name? You started this puzzle before the Butler - Pitt game, right? So I'm assuming it doesn't stand for that?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12900
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe "Bracket Problem"?

Post Number: 998
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It does indeed stand for Butler-Pitt. I thought I mentioned that... Maybe I forgot. I'm going to add this to the neologism list.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12917
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By the way, I found out today that I came in second in the bracket contest run by the fitness center here. I won a gift card. Didn't even know there were prizes.

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and by the way, the potential theoretical BP Upset which wouldn't have actually been an upset would have been San Diego State over UConn. If someone had the Huskies losing to Texas in the Elite Eight, then since the Longhorns were already eliminated, that might help them, because I think pretty much everyone in the contest except me, a few people who picked randomly, and maybe one or two others, had the Huskies going to the Elite Eight, and most had them going to the Final Four. And most of those that didn't had Duke (who had not yet been eliminated by Arizona) going. So a UConn-Duke Elite Eight matchup would create a lose-lose scenario for a person who had Texas over UConn, but a SDSU-Duke matchup would at least allow no change if the Aztecs won. Of course, that would have helped me, but I'll take a UConn national championship over a Sprint Phone that I can't use because I have Verizon any day. Although picking the Instant Daily entries in the Daily Campus would have been nice too. And if you're wondering what the Instant Daily is, it's the witty comments that you send in via AIM and they publish the funniest/best/most amusing ones each day in the newspaper. I've gotten a few in there. But I'm not obsessed with it like some people are. But I'd have liked to pick them. But it's better to have the national championship. And considering that of my other three Final Four teams, Ohio State (my champion) lost in the Sweet 16, Notre Dame (my runner-up) lost in the Second Round (which technically is the third, but I REFUSE to call it that) and Florida made it to the Elite Eight, SDSU making the Final Four wouldn't have helped me anyway. And I know this was a long and rambling post so hopefully someone reads it before it gets relegated to "Recently Solved Puzzles"

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And for those who want to see the InstantDaily for yourself, go to http://www.dailycampus.com/search-box-1.982940?q=InstantDaily&from=MM%2FDD%2FYY&to=MM%2FDD%2FYY which shows a bunch of recent ones on a nifty little search page.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12921
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read it, if that's any help.

How did you end up doing in the UConn poll?
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12923
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 3:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And for the ID: did you write the one about burning the Scampus (on 4/4)?

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bad. And, no, I didn't write the one about burning the Scampus, but I think everyone here felt that way. I did write the "One nation under Kemba" in today's though.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: