(Vesica) A Scrund for Ralph Wiggum... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - April 2011 » (Vesica) A Scrund for Ralph Wiggum « Previous Next »

Vesica (Vesica)
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 428
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And a third one to celebrate finding my way back to this lovely little corner of the 'net.

Shortly after college, my friend Misha and I shared an apartment. One day, while doing something we’d done many times before and have done many times since, he did something that made me suddenly realize he had a scrund. Being the loving friend I am, I burst out laughing.

If he had been worse at what we were doing, I might have discovered the scrund earlier. Had I been worse, I would never have discovered it. Had I discovered it earlier, I could have stopped him from causing me pain.

When I pointed out this last bit, he joined me in laughing. After it all, it really did explain a lot.

What were we doing and what was the scrund? For bonus points, why would discovering the scrund earlier have spared me pain?

And to skip the easy questions:
Misha = HAM
Me = Ves = HAF
Based on a true story (I know because I was there.)
And before anyone goes there, this is a G rated puzzle.
Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 931
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Simpsons Relevant? Ralphie Wiggum? Chief Wiggum? Pain = physical? emotional? Did he think that the pain Homer encounters on the Simpsons really didn't hurt since it didn't hurt him? So he kept hitting you over the head with frying pans? I can't imagine anyone who's going to college being that stupid
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 429
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 3:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Simpsons Relevant? Only because of Ralph
Ralphie Wiggum? Yes, tangentially
Chief Wiggum? No
Pain = physical? emotional? Physical

Did he think that the pain Homer encounters on the Simpsons really didn't hurt since it didn't hurt him? So he kept hitting you over the head with frying pans? Ha! But no.
Potato (Potato)
Username: Potato

Post Number: 478
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant that you two shared the apartment? Is anything specific about the apartment relevant? Were you doing any kind of household chore? Renovating?

Would whatever he did to cause you pain have hurt any other person the same way, too? Or did you have some condition (like an injury) that made you more sensitive to it? Did he - to some extent - intend to cause you pain (by punching you, for example)? Or was it an accident? Did he cause you the pain only the day you discovered his scrund? Or did that happen earlier, too? Has he ever caused you pain for the same reason after the discovery of his scrund?

The pain: Did it just hurt for a while? Or did you also end up having a wound or some other injury?
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 3383
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not a question but can't resist posting my favourite Ralph quote:

"Me fail English that's unpossible"
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 434
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Potato
Is it relevant that you two shared the apartment? This would have been less likely to have happened if we had not.
Is anything specific about the apartment relevant? Nope
Were you doing any kind of household chore? Yes, though DYOD
Renovating? No

Would whatever he did to cause you pain have hurt any other person the same way, too? Yes, though perhaps not everyone
Or did you have some condition (like an injury) that made you more sensitive to it? No
Did he - to some extent - intend to cause you pain (by punching you, for example)? NO
Or was it an accident? Yes
Did he cause you the pain only the day you discovered his scrund? No and FA
Or did that happen earlier, too? Yes and the same FA – to save time, the pain occurred on an earlier day than the scrund discovery
Has he ever caused you pain for the same reason after the discovery of his scrund? NO

The pain: Did it just hurt for a while? Yes, it was temporary
Or did you also end up having a wound or some other injury? No

Peter365
Not a question but can't resist posting my favourite Ralph quote:

"Me fail English that's unpossible"

I love that quote. My friends and I now use ‘unpossible’ for impossible squared, with a twist of sarcasm.

You may have thought the Ralph quoting was off-topic, but it’s really not…
Peter365 (Peter365)
Username: Peter365

Post Number: 3386
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is eating relevant?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 439
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is eating relevant? YES
Fishbones (Fishbones)
Username: Fishbones

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he in charge of cooking, or cleaning dishes?

Is there a food allergy involved?

Are the dishes or utensils relevant?

Was this a stomach pain?

Was the pain caused by eating too much good food?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 445
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was he in charge of cooking, No, but rather than torture you all I will confirm that cooking is the revelant activity.
or cleaning dishes? No

Is there a food allergy involved? No
Are the dishes or utensils relevant? No
Was this a stomach pain? YES
Was the pain caused by eating too much good food? No

Post Number: 936
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm, Ralph Wiggum tends to eat stuff that isn't food, like school supplies...

Did he think something was edible that wasn't?
And put it in some food? Which then made you sick?
Was the relevant non-food glue? Crayons? Something stupid like that? Or was it a plant? A part of a plant? An animal? A part of an animal? Paper? Did he cook some food with the wrapping still on? Which then caused you to eat said wrapping? Thus making you sick?
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 926
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"My cat's breath smells like cat food" - Did he cook/serve pet food?
Potato (Potato)

Post Number: 483
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had any of the ingredients he used gone bad? Was there a vegetable or fruit of which he thought that it must look/feel/smell a certain way when it's fresh when it really is already bad then?

Did he get stomach pain, too?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 446
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gregoryuconn
Hmmm, Ralph Wiggum tends to eat stuff that isn't food, like school supplies... That he does…

Did he think something was edible that wasn't? No
And put it in some food? Thus, No
Which then made you sick? No
Was the relevant non-food glue? Crayons? Something stupid like that? Or was it a plant? A part of a plant? An animal? A part of an animal? Paper? Did he cook some food with the wrapping still on? Which then caused you to eat said wrapping? Thus making you sick? No to all of these

Doriana
"My cat's breath smells like cat food" Hee!
Did he cook/serve pet food? No

Potato
Had any of the ingredients he used gone bad? No
Was there a vegetable or fruit of which he thought that it must look/feel/smell a certain way when it's fresh when it really is already bad then? No

Did he get stomach pain, too? As I remember, Yes, but not as bad as mine.
Potato (Potato)

Post Number: 488
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he combine meal ingredients or drinks that shouldn't be combined? Drinking water after eating fruits relevant (my parents taught me not to do so, even though, AFAIK, doing so normally doesn't do any harm)?
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2456
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So was the scrund about whether something was edible? Whether you specifically could eat it (for example, due to allergies or lactose intolerance)?
Fishbones (Fishbones)

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did this involve undercooked food?

Was it the manner of food prep that caused stomach pain? The ingredients?

Was it only one type of food or meal, or a variety of things being cooked that caused the stomach pains?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 448
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Potato
Did he combine meal ingredients or drinks that shouldn't be combined? No
Drinking water after eating fruits relevant (my parents taught me not to do so, even though, AFAIK, doing so normally doesn't do any harm)? No

Noel
So was the scrund about whether something was edible? NO
Whether you specifically could eat it (for example, due to allergies or lactose intolerance)? No

Fishbones
Did this involve undercooked food? No
Was it the manner of food prep that caused stomach pain? No
The ingredients? YES

Was it only one type of food or meal, or a variety of things being cooked that caused the stomach pains? One type of food
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 12766
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Allergies relevant? Some other sickness? Or something which tends to cause stomach pain?

Post Number: 941
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it meat? Fish? Fowl? Dairy? Pizza? Pasta? Vegetables? Fruit? Beverage? Beer? Alcohol? Ambrosia? Human? Hunan? Did he think the Hunan meat they serve at Chinese food was Human Meat? Does it involve two similarly sounding foods? And he thought it was one when it was the other? Or he called it one when it was the other? Maybe because he thought they were the same? Or is it only the preparation of the food that is relevant?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 461
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Balin
Allergies relevant? No
Some other sickness? No
Or something which tends to cause stomach pain? It seems to be a common cause, so Yes

Gregoryuconn

Was it meat? Fish? Fowl? Dairy? Pizza? Pasta? No
Vegetables? Of this list, this is the closest.
Fruit? Beverage? Beer? Alcohol? Ambrosia? No, see above

Human? Hunan? No...
Did he think the Hunan meat they serve at Chinese food was Human Meat? ...*laughs* Man, now I wish this was the answer, but No

Does it involve two similarly sounding foods? No
And he thought it was one when it was the other? No
Or he called it one when it was the other? No
Maybe because he thought they were the same? YES!
Or is it only the preparation of the food that is relevant? Nope, preparation is not relevant.

Great question there by, Gregoryuconn. Hopefully it opens up some new directions to explore.

Post Number: 945
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the two foods look similar? Do you like one but not the other? And he gave you the one you didn't like because he thought it was the same as the one you didn't like? Is it something incredibly stupid like the Hartford Courant and Currants that are grown in Connecticut and could be called Hartford Currants? Or is it something that could be somewhat reasonable?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 464
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the two foods look similar? They do, but in the way a horse and a mule look similar versus a horse and an emu.

Do you like one but not the other? I like both.
And he gave you the one you didn't like because he thought it was the same as the one you didn't like? I think meant "did like" at the end, but No
Is it something incredibly stupid like the Hartford Courant and Currants that are grown in Connecticut and could be called Hartford Currants? No

Or is it something that could be somewhat reasonable? Reasonable as in "I'm not just torturing you all with some minor distinction? Yes
Reasonable as in "No smart person would think this", apparently not or we'd have no puzzle.
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 465
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the two foods look similar? They do, but in the way a horse and a mule look similar versus a horse and an emu.

Do you like one but not the other? I like both.
And he gave you the one you didn't like because he thought it was the same as the one you didn't like? I think meant "did like" at the end, but No
Is it something incredibly stupid like the Hartford Courant and Currants that are grown in Connecticut and could be called Hartford Currants? No

Or is it something that could be somewhat reasonable? Reasonable as in "I'm not just torturing you all with some minor distinction? Yes
Reasonable as in "No smart person would think this", apparently not or we'd have no puzzle.
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 466
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps it's time for a brief summary…

RECAP:

My friend Misha and I were cooking one day when I discovered he had a scrund.

He had caused me temporary stomach pain on an earlier occasion because of this scrund, but it was accidental on his part (as it truly was a scrund – a misconception that had simply never come up before). He also gave himself slight stomach pain on that occasion and there was nothing special about either of us, rather it was a pain most people might experience in this situation.

His scrund had to do with two ingredients he thought were the same. Vegetables are "Yope"ishly relevant.

Also, I will add that Fishbones caught on to something important when he asked "Was he in charge of cooking" to which the answer is "No".
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 467
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 3:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RECAP Part II:

Forgot to add, now that it is know we were cooking, the puzzle statement can be amended...

If he had been worse at COOKING, I might have discovered the scrund earlier. Had I been worse AT COOKING, I would never have discovered it.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12775
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a type of bean? A legume? Some type of oil?

Random thought - did he think baking soda and baking powder were the same?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 473
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 4:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a type of bean? A legume? Some type of oil? None of these

Random thought - did he think baking soda and baking powder were the same? No, but absolutely OTRT
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 12778
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shot in the dark: was it vanilla? Vanilla extract?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 478
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shot in the dark: was it vanilla? No
Vanilla extract? No
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2462
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sugar and brown sugar?
Cream of Tartar and Tartar Sauce?

If neither of the above:

Is food item 1 sweet? salty? bitter? sour?
Same questions for food 2.
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 483
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sugar and brown sugar? No
Cream of Tartar and Tartar Sauce? No

If neither of the above:
Is food item 1 sweet? salty? bitter? sour?
Same questions for food 2.
I actually can't answer these. Not because it would give too much away, but because the items in question really can't be well described using those words.

Um, neither is sweet or salty. Not really sour either, so maybe notes of bitter?

So...what's not a fruit or a vegetable, but is an ingredient and can't be described very well with "sweet, salty, sour, bitter"?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 960
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a liquid? Water? Milk?

Flour? Eggs? Butter?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 489
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a liquid? No
Water? Milk? No to both

Flour? Eggs? Butter? No to these

Sorta-CORRECTION: They might be vegetables, DOYD.

Post Number: 959
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

potatoes? tomatoes? some sort of plant? leaves? lettuce? something that grows on a plant? tobacco? spinach? cabbage? brussels sprouts? broccoli? croliflower?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 491
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

potatoes? tomatoes? some sort of plant? leaves? lettuce? No to these

something that grows on a plant? Yes

tobacco? spinach? cabbage? brussels sprouts? broccoli? croliflower? No to these

Post Number: 964
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 3:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stem? Seed? Rood? Thorn? Flower? Bud?

Post Number: 965
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 3:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ooh, thought thought though

Is it flour? Sugar? Salt? Baking Soda? Baking Powder? Oil? Did he think Vegetable Oil and Canola Oil were the same? Salt and Larry's Seasoned Salt?
Potato (Potato)

Post Number: 524
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nuts?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 494
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gregoryuconn
Botany is not my area of expertise, but I think these are correct…
Stem? Seed? No to both
Rood? Assuming you meant, root – No
Thorn? Flower? No to these
Bud? Maybe?
Is it flour? Sugar? Salt? Baking Soda? Baking Powder? Oil? No to all
Did he think Vegetable Oil and Canola Oil were the same? No
Salt and Larry's Seasoned Salt? This is OTRT, but No

Potato
Nuts? No

In both relevant cooking situations, we were making two different dishes of the same cuisine type. If that’s any help…
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 971
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the cuisine
... Mediterranean? (Italian? Spanish? Turkish? Greek? North African?)
... Asian? (Chinese? Japanese? Korean?)
... Mexican?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 496
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the cuisine
... Mediterranean? (Italian? Spanish? Turkish? Greek? North African?) No
... Asian? (Chinese? Japanese? Korean?)No

... Mexican? YES for the scrund-discovery cooking
Yes-ish for the pain-inducing cooking

(It's Mexican/Latino in origin but has become so common in the US, most might not call it "Mexican".)
Potato (Potato)

Post Number: 526
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does figuring out the dishes help?
If so, was it chili? Tacos? Tortillas? Guacamole? Burritos? Enchiladas? Quesadillas?

Is a particular spice relevant? Chili peppers? Did he use some extra hot chili peppers or sauce thinking that they all are more or less the same? Did he connfuse a spice with a completely different one? Are beans relevant?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 498
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does figuring out the dishes help? Yes
If so, was it chili? Tacos? Tortillas? Guacamole? Burritos? Enchiladas? Quesadillas?
For scrund-discovery: It was tacos.
For the earlier pain-causing: It was chili.

Well done! Hopefully that helps.

Is a particular spice relevant? YES
Chili peppers? YOPE
Did he use some extra hot chili peppers or sauce thinking that they all are more or less the same? YOPE
Did he confuse a spice with a completely different one? YES!!
Are beans relevant? No
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 499
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If we can put it all together, I think this one is just about done!
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 974
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he confuse pepper and paprika?
Fishbones (Fishbones)

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this chili powder and another similar spice?

Cumin?
Cayenne Pepper?
Paprika?
Black pepper?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 500
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doriana
Did he confuse pepper and paprika? No

Fishbones

Is this chili powder and another similar spice? YES

Cumin? No
Cayenne Pepper? This one!
Paprika? No
Black pepper? No

You know what coming right up…
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 501
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

**************** SPOILER ****************

My friend Misha and I shared an apartment for a while after college and it was a really nice arrangement, particularly when it came to cooking. We both were pretty good cooks and enjoyed cooking together. Usually, one of us would be in “charge” of the meal with the other serving as sous chef.

This particular evening, I was making the filling for tacos while Misha prepped the toppings for our “Taco Bar”. I was using a taco seasoning packet, but I always add additional spices to the mix. On this occasion, Misha was standing right in the front of the cabinet we kept the spices in so I asked him to hand me the chili powder.

He handed me the ground cayenne.

I said, “Um, I said chili powder.”

He said, “That is. It’s ground chili peppers, right?”

I couldn’t help bursting out laughing. I dug around in the cabinet and pulled out the bottle of chili powder, explaining that while both were technically ground chilies, chili powder is made of smoked, very mild chilies while ground cayenne was really, really hot.

If I had realized he thought they were the same thing, I would have pointed it out earlier – like before he made chili a few weeks earlier. It was an awesome chili, with a couple different kinds of beans, corn, diced zuchinni, and such. But after the first few bites, in the words of Ralph Wiggim, it mostly “tastes like burning”. This stuff was hotter than heck! I ate ½ a bowl and then had nothing but milk and steamed rice for the next 48 hours, trying to get the burning in my stomach to stop.

Every time a recipe called for chili powder, he’d been using ground cayenne. For example, even a spicy chili recipe may call for 3-4 tablespoons of chili powder but only ½ a teaspoon of cayenne.

If Misha had been a worse cook, I would have questioned him about just what he put in that chili. But he was a really good cook, so I assumed the chili was blazing hot because he wanted it that way. He did like spicy food and liked it hotter than I usually ate.

If I had been a worse cook, I would have been on permanent prep duty and never would have been in charge of tacos and in a position to ask him to hand me the chili powder.

And yes, once he realized chili powder and ground cayenne are NOT the same thing, he never did that again.

And yes, I still tease him about the time he tried to kill me with his “Magma Chili”.
Fishbones (Fishbones)

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You must have an iron stomach to have been able to even eat that much "magma chili" in the first place! Fun puzzle! :-)
Potato (Potato)

Post Number: 531
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whoa, that must've been a hell of a chili (no pun intended xD)! Good puzzle!
Noel (Noel)

Post Number: 2468
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doh! I can't believe that with a scrund about food causing pain, no one guessed hot peppers earlier!

My husband once made the same mistake, but fortunately, in the opposite direction (substituted chili powder for cayenne pepper). No pain in that incident, just an odd-tasting dish.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: