(Vesica) Paved Paradise Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - April 2011 » (Vesica) Paved Paradise « Previous Next »

Vesica (Vesica)
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 538
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
~Big Yellow Taxi, Joni Mitchell

Before she was lost, few people knew her. While she was lost, many people “knew” where she was, but they still kept searching. If she had never been lost, they would have never realized what they had.
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13130
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are all "she"s the same? H? A? F?

All "they"s the same? Are "they" the "many people"? H? A? M?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 549
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are all "she"s the same? Yes
H? No A? Let's assume yes F? Yes

All "they"s the same? Yes
Are "they" the "many people"? Part of the "many"
H? A? M? They are all human, all adult, mixed male and female.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13137
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"She" - an animal? A tree? Another plant? A ship?

Do the people have something in common? Are they from the same area? Same country? State? Town?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 562
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"She" - an animal? An animal
A tree? Another plant? A ship? No to these

Do the people have something in common? Yes
Are they from the same area? Possibly
Same country? State? Town? Not likely.
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 785
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do "they" share common profession?
They kept searching - for her? for something else?
She was lost - died? disappeared? change location to an unknown one?
people knew her - see her? meet her? have scientific knowledge about her?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 568
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do "they" share common profession? Yes
They kept searching - for her? For her
for something else? No
She was lost - died? No
disappeared? Yes
change location to an unknown one? YES
people knew her - see her? Yope
meet her? NO
have scientific knowledge about her? Perhaps, but irrelevant
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13150
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is she a rare animal? A wild one? A domesticated one?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 489
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was she a mammal? bird? fish? reptile? insect?

is this a true story? FYOI? FSEI? was it in the news?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 581
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 4:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was she a mammal? bird? fish? reptile? insect? Reptile

is this a true story? Yes
FYOI? FSEI? No to these
was it in the news? Yes
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 496
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did she get lost in the sewers?

was she an alligator or crocodile? a snake?

was she a rare specimen?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 594
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did she get lost in the sewers? Nope
was she an alligator or crocodile? No
a snake? YES
was she a rare specimen? I'd say Yes
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13201
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they know she was rare before she was lost?

While she was lost, did they know the general idea of where she was? Did they think they knew where she was? But actually didn't?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 598
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ARG! BLOOPER ALERT!!
Are all "she"s the same? The MOST correct answer would be NO. The puzzle statement could be most accurately written as...

While she was lost, many people "knew" where "she" was.

Ugh, sorry!!
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 599
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they know she was rare before she was lost? Yes

While she was lost, did they know the general idea of where she was? Yes, for both "shes" - see my correction.

Did they think they knew where she was? Yes for both "she"s.
But actually didn't? No for both.
Potato (Potato)
Username: Potato

Post Number: 642
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, there are two shes? And one of them disappeared and the other didn't?

The one who escaped: Did she escape from a terrarium? From a zoo? From a person who had her as a pet? Was she a wild animal that had been captured and then escaped again?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 607
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, there are two shes? Yesish is probably the least misleading.
And one of them disappeared Yes
and the other didn't? No

The one who escaped: Did she escape from a terrarium? No
From a zoo? YES
From a person who had her as a pet? No
Was she a wild animal that had been captured and then escaped again? Perhaps but not relevant here...
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13247
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a female animal (bear?) that escaped? A pregnant one?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 633
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a female animal (bear?) that escaped? Yes, and she's a snake (see above).
A pregnant one? Not that I know of
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 530
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the second she also a snake?
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 796
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does "get lost" refer to the same type of location as "where"?
It may seem a bit complicated, so I will explain. I think about the situation when, for example, "get lost" refers to the initial habitat of she, like "the zoo", while "where" refers not to her new habitat, but rather to any general location, like "on earth", or "in her mom's belly" - if pregnancy was relevant.
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 645
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the second she also a snake? YOPE

Redwine - I'm still not sure I'm getting it, but here's my best shot:

Does "get lost" refer to the same type of location as "where"?
Yes, in that all locations in this puzzle are specific locations more than "on earth" or the other examples you provided.

No, in that the specific location she was lost from is required to solve the puzzle. The "where" can be more general, though there are specifics, if anyone guesses them.
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 542
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was there publicity about her loss? on TV? newspapers?

did she lay some eggs?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 676
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there publicity about her loss? YES!
On TV? Here
Newspapers? Here too and...

did she lay some eggs? Nope
Potato (Potato)
Username: Potato

Post Number: 643
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the one "she" the cobra that escaped from the zoo in New York? Is the other one the "twittering cobra"?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 687
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, played Potato!! I knew I spent some time this morning writing that "You-Know-What"!

Is the one "she" the cobra that escaped from the zoo in New York? YES!!
Is the other one the "twittering cobra"? YES!!

You-know-what on the way!
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 688
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

***** SPOILER *****

She is the Bronx Zoo cobra. On Monday, March 28, 2011, she went missing from an off-exhibit enclosure within the reptile house. Zoo officials were confident she was still somewhere within the reptile house, but closed the exhibit to the public until she could be found. “Our best strategy is patience, allowing her time to come out of hiding," said zoo director Jim Breheny.

The same day someone launched a Twitter feed called “@BronxZooCobra” that billed itself as “an Egyptian cobra out on the town” and provided tweets from around NYC documenting the cobra seeing the sights. Within 11 hours, the feed had over 20,000 followers. Highlights include:

* Holding very still in the snake exhibit at the Museum of Natural History. This is gonna be hilarious!
* Leaving Wall Street. These guys make my skin crawl.
* On top of the Empire State Building! All the people look like little mice down there. Delicious little mice.
* "Indiana Jones, why did it have to be Indiana Jones?
* I do speak Parseltongue, but with a thick Bronx accent.
* Just FYI, I've had it with Samuel L. Jackson too.

Other twitter users got in on the fun, including:

* Cushy and warm! RT @HiltonNewYork @bronxzooscobra Do you have a place to stay in NYC tonight? We can offer you the Penthouse ssssuite.

While over 20,000 knew where “she” was, it wasn’t much help in locating the missing snake. One clever Twitter user did try to pinpoint her location. Her response “Sure, let me just...wait a second! RT @JamColoured @BronxZoosCobra Can you turn GPS tracking on your iPhone please? No reason”.

The real Bronx Zoo Cobra was recaptured on Thursday, March 31, 2011. The story hit most sites on Friday April 1 – causing a little confusion as to whether her capture was legit or an April Fool’s Day prank.

To date, the Bronx Zoo has not admitted any involvement with the Twitter account, though if it wasn’t someone in their Marketing Department – it should have been! She is marketing gold, as people previously unaware there even was a zoo in the Bronx are now adding a zoo visit and a chance to see “Mia the not-missing Cobra” to their “Must Do” lists.

Personally, I’m amused to see the tweets have continued, despite the capture of the real Mia.

After Capture…
* Anyone else got a case of the Mondays? I do. It's a plexi-glass case enclosure in the Reptile House.
* I know the zoo doesn't like it when you tap on the glass, but I don't mind it. In fact, feel free to tap really hard. With a hammer even.
* Children 2 years and under are always free at The Bronx Zoo. Um. Hello. I'm under 2.

Full article about the reptile’s recapture is HERE.
Twilightseeker (Twilightseeker)
Username: Twilightseeker

Post Number: 223
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 - 4:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aha! I should've known. That story was hilarious. :D
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 740
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I really enjoyed the Twitter feed.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: