[gregoryuconn] My Stupidity Series #5 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - April 2011 » [gregoryuconn] My Stupidity Series #5 « Previous Next »

Gregoryuconn (Gregoryuconn)
Username: Gregoryuconn

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I have decided to combine all my categories of "Stupidity Series" because it's really getting annoying. So there were three UConn ones plus one Media one. That makes four. Here's number five:

They thought I was going to die!!! :-( :-( :-(

Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3504
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 4:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"They" = H/A/M? H/A/F? Mixed?
"I" = You/GregoryUConn/Mr. Coke, Grand Master of Gregory Coke Land?

True story? FYOI? FSEI?

LTPF relevant (other than that it's where you've posted this)?
Doriana (Doriana)
Username: Doriana

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They = friends of yours? family? fellow students? teachers? strangers?

Did they think so because of something you said? Something you did? Something that happened to you?

Is it relevant when this happened? Relevant how old you were when it happened?

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"They" = H/A/M? H/A/F? Mixed? This, if I recall correctly. But sex is irrelevant.
"I" = You/GregoryUConn/Mr. Coke, Grand Master of Gregory Coke Land? Yes

True story? Yes FYOI? FSEI?

LTPF relevant (other than that it's where you've posted this)? No

They = friends of yours? family? fellow students? teachers? This, plus other relevant people at my school (relevant in the sense that they were relevant to me, not in the sense that they are relevant to this puzzle. Because they're not, except in the capacity that they were relevant to me. strangers?

Did they think so because of something you said? No Something you did? No Something that happened to you? this is closest, but still not very accurate

Is it relevant when this happened? DOYD of "when". Relevant how old you were when it happened? No, unless you happen to have been stalking me for my whole life in which case it might help.
Vesica (Vesica)
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 567
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant why they thought you were going to die?
Did they think this for a short time? A long time?

I’m assuming they were wrong, but you know what they say about assuming…Were they wrong?
Did you die?

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant why they thought you were going to die? Yes
Did they think this for a short time? this A long time?

I’m assuming they were wrong, but you know what they say about assuming…Were they wrong? Yes, they were wrong.
Did you die? Oh yes, this is my ghost typing this... No, of course I didn't. Was that even a serious question?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 575
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was a serious question, since it is possible to die but be resuscitated. So you could easily have died in the clinical sense, but be here typing to me.

So teachers and other relevant people at your school thought you were going to die?
But it is not relevant how old you were?
Or, I suppose, what level of school this was?

They thought you were going to die:
Because of your appearance?
Some physical feature you had?
Because of some external event?
Somewhere you had been?
Someone in your family?

Were you the only one they thought would die?

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was a serious question, since it is possible to die but be resuscitated. So you could easily have died in the clinical sense, but be here typing to me. Well that didn't happen

So teachers and other relevant people at your school thought you were going to die? Well, relevant in the sense that they were relevant to me at the time. But for the purposes of this puzzle, it doesn't matter who they were (other than that they were relevant to me).
But it is not relevant how old you were? Not particularly, but I believe I was in 3rd grade at the time in case you're wondering
Or, I suppose, what level of school this was? So it was elementary school

They thought you were going to die:
Because of your appearance?
Some physical feature you had?
Because of some external event? Somewhat this
Somewhere you had been? And somewhat this too
Someone in your family? No to rest, but there's something more that vaguely fits into the "external event" and "somewhere I had been" categories, but really is a separate category

Were you the only one they thought would die? yes
Balin (Balin)
Username: Balin

Post Number: 13148
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you in class at the time? At recess?

Did you go to a public elementary school? Private? Religious?

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you in class at the time? At recess? Neither really, FA

Did you go to a public elementary school? this, but irr Private? Religious?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they think it on one day? more than one day? Were you absent from school? Although you should have been there?

Is the time of day relevant? Time of year? Day of week? Date?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 491
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did they think you were going to die because of something which was about to happen to you? like you were standing in the path of a runaway horse or speeding car? or a building was about to fall on you?

did this actually happen at school? on the way to or from school? on a field trip?

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they think it on one day? This more than one day? Were you absent from school? Although you should have been there? same FA

Is the time of day relevant? Time of year? Day of week? Date? No to all
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it during school holidays? during a field trip?
Wait... were they your teachers at all? At your school?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 499
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you missed my questions

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did they think you were going to die because of something which was about to happen to you? You could say this, but it would be a very awkward way to say so like you were standing in the path of a runaway horse or speeding car? or a building was about to fall on you? None of these
did this actually happen at school? Yope, still a slight FA on the way to or from school? on a field trip? No to these
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 500
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks!

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ugh, now I missed Doiranna's questions

Was it during school holidays? during a field trip? No to both
Wait... were they your teachers at all? Yes At your school? yes
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13165
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they think something bad was about to happen to you?

Were you actually in the school building? Being picked up? Dropped off?

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they think something bad was about to happen to you? Well, they thought I was going to die, I'd say that's bad. But I wouldn't say they thought I was "about to die" per se.

Were you actually in the school building? Being picked up? Dropped off? No to all, still same FA

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hint: Asking a basic question which you have not yet asked might help you out with the FA.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13176
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you at school that day? Was school being taught elsewhere?

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you at school that day? yes, I think, but still the same FA Was school being taught elsewhere? No, still same FA
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13182
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Size of the school relevant?
Shez (Shez)

Post Number: 508
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

were you actually present?

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Size of the school relevant? No

were you actually present? No, but I think you're still making the same FA. There is a basic question you could ask that might clear this up. I'm surprised you haven't asked it yet.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13187
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they think you were going to die because of something that happened at school? Were they at school when they thought you were going to die?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you doing to die?

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they think you were going to die because of something that happened at school? No, with a slight -ish I suppose Were they at school when they thought you were going to die? I think so. Assume yes

Were you doing to die? Assuming you mean "going to die". If so, then no. Well, I'm not immortal so I suppose I am "going to die" eventually, but that's irrelevant.
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they think you were going (by the way, I meant "going" in my last post, I have a bit of a hard time telling apart g and d.) to die because of something someone else said? Did they misinterpret something someone else said?

Did they think you would die within the next seconds? hours? days? weeks? months?
Did they think you had had an accident? had a serious disease?
Twilightseeker (Twilightseeker)
Username: Twilightseeker

Post Number: 171
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your school itself actually involved? Or just the teachers? Were they teachers from your school, or from somewhere else? As in perhaps a private teacher, tutor, etc.

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they think you were going (by the way, I meant "going" in my last post, I have a bit of a hard time telling apart g and d.) to die because of something someone else said? Yes! Did they misinterpret something someone else said? Yope

Did they think you would die within the next seconds? hours? days? weeks? could be this months? more likely this
Did they think you had had an accident? No had a serious disease? yes

Is your school itself actually involved? No Or just the teachers? Yes, slight ish though to avoid creating/furthering an FA Were they teachers from your school Yes, no to rest , or from somewhere else? As in perhaps a private teacher, tutor, etc.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13200
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they misunderstand the spoken thing? Did the spoken thing have a double meaning?
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was this someone else a relative of yours? If so, mum? dad? sister? other sibling (don't know if you have any further siblings)? a friend of yours? classmate? teacher?

Did they think you had cancer?

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did they misunderstand the spoken thing? No, FA Did the spoken thing have a double meaning? No, FA

I guess "said" wasn't the most accurate word to use... Perhaps that should have been a yesish to the "something someone else said" question and then a yopeish to the next one

Was this someone else a relative of yours? If so, mum? dad? sister? other sibling (don't know if you have any further siblings)? Wouldn't that be my brother, if I had one, which I don't? a friend of yours? classmate? teacher? No to all

Did they think you had cancer? Yes

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, it should probably be noish to my mother
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, yes, that would be your brother, but by "sister" I meant the one from your scrund connections puzzle, and by "other sibling" any other brother/sister, sorry for not wording it carefully (:

Was it something someone else wrote?
Was it a rumour that someone had started?

Is it relevant which type of cancer they thought you had?

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 5:08 pm: Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Well, yes, that would be your brother, but by "sister" I meant the one from your scrund connections puzzle, and by "other sibling" any other brother/sister, sorry for not wording it carefully (: Oh Ok

Was it something someone else wrote? Yes! (ish)
Was it a rumour that someone had started? No

Is it relevant which type of cancer they thought you had? No, they didn't actually even know.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13213
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The writer: you? A family member? A friend?

Parent-teacher conferences relevant?

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The writer: you? A family member? A friend? No to all. I believe we've already established this

Parent-teacher conferences relevant? No
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the writer a doctor?
Was it a letter? A fax? Something scribbled on a slip of paper?

Did the teachers misread a word? Was there a typo?

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the writer a doctor? this
Was it a letter? Probably this A fax? it might have been this Something scribbled on a slip of paper? No

Did the teachers misread a word? No Was there a typo? Yes or yesish, DOYD of "typo"
Doriana (Doriana)

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the letter sent to your family? your teacher? Did your family forward it to your teacher?

Were you under his treatment?
Did he confuse you with another patient? And then he wrote down the wrong diagnosis? E.g. "cancer" instead of "cold"? (Wow, this would be horrible!) Did it actually say "cancer" in the letter?

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the letter sent to your family? your teacher? both, but the former isn't relevant Did your family forward it to your teacher?

Were you under his treatment? Yes
Did he confuse you with another patient? No And then he wrote down the wrong diagnosis? No, FA E.g. "cancer" instead of "cold"? (Wow, this would be horrible!) It would be ... And you're sort of OTRT, albeit with the FA Did it actually say "cancer" in the letter? Yes

Post Number: 175
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the doctor leave out a word? switch words? write the correct words in the wrong order? was it a punctuation/grammatical problem?

Was the doctor not even diagnosing you with anything? Were you perhaps diagnosed with something, but the letter wasn't about this at all? But he wrote "cancer" for some other reason?

"Cancer" as in the astrological sign?
Referring to the disease "cancer" for some reason other than referring to your affliction(s)?

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the doctor leave out a word? No switch words? Do you mean replace one word with another wrong one? Then yesish write the correct words in the wrong order? No was it a punctuation/grammatical problem? No

Was the doctor not even diagnosing you with anything? irr, see below Were you perhaps diagnosed with something, but the letter wasn't about this at all? Yes But he wrote "cancer" for some other reason? See above to clarify. I'm not sure how to answer this

"Cancer" as in the astrological sign? No
Referring to the disease "cancer" for some reason other than referring to your affliction(s)? Again, see above. It wasn't supposed to say "cancer" at all.

But I sense an FA with all these questions

Post Number: 180
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 6:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the doctor have a secretary or someone else write/type the letter, and they made the mistake?

Did the letter include a word that looked like "cancer" but wasn't meant to? Or implied "cancer" because of some other mistake?

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the doctor have a secretary or someone else write/type the letter, and they made the mistake? it was someone else who typed it, but this could slightly mislead

Did the letter include a word that looked like "cancer" but wasn't meant to? Or implied "cancer" because of some other mistake? No, the letter included the word "cancer". It just wasn't supposed to.

Basically all you have left to do is figure out how the word "cancer" got on there.

Post Number: 182
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did someone accidentally put it (the word "cancer") there? Purposefully?

Was the word "cancer" typed as well? Written in? Was it originally on the piece of paper put into the typewriter (assuming this was done on a typewriter? or was it a computer?)? Spellcheck relevant?

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did someone accidentally put it (the word "cancer") there? Purposefully? DOYD of "accidentally" and "purposefully"

Was the word "cancer" typed as well? This Written in? Was it originally on the piece of paper put into the typewriter (assuming this was done on a typewriter? or was it a computer?)? It was a computer andno Spellcheck relevant? No

Hint: I still sense an underlying FA. Finding out how it was typed could help you.
Noel (Noel)
Username: Noel

Post Number: 2521
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it one of those forms where a whole bunch of illnesses/diagnoses were already pre-printed on the form, including cancer? And someone accidentally checked off the wrong box?
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 612
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant what the letter was for?
Like exempting you from PE?
Or confirming you had the vaccinations needed for school attendance?

How the letter was typed:
Voice recognition software?
(Was this even around when you were in 3rd grade?)
Manually keyed into a computer?
Cut and pasted into a computer?
From notes?
Transcribed from audio?
Was it "written" by the docotor or by someone at your school?
A miswritten note from a phone call?
Kayleetonkslupin (Kayleetonkslupin)
Username: Kayleetonkslupin

Post Number: 3538
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the wrong ICD-9 CM code keyed/written on the form? (That's the International Classification of Diseases, edition 9, Classical Modification, the one I learned the codes from in Medical Administrative Assisting. For example, 345.9 is "epilepsy - unspecified". But 34.0 or 34.1 would be "streptococcal sore throat" and "scarlet fever" (and 34.59 would be a nonexistent code, so bad example). There's a whole list of cancerous things, though...should we get more specific?)

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it relevant what the letter was for?
Like exempting you from PE?
Or confirming you had the vaccinations needed for school attendance?

How the letter was typed:
Voice recognition software?
(Was this even around when you were in 3rd grade?)
Manually keyed into a computer?
Cut and pasted into a computer?
From notes?
Transcribed from audio? This, no to rest, not answering Kaylee's questions because you've basically got this one now - see below
Was it "written" by the docotor or by someone at your school?
A miswritten note from a phone call?

*****SPOILER*****

I was seeing my neurologist, who had to write his report orally where it was then transcribed. He said "Gregory's mother expressed concern about Gregory's classroom behavior". However, the stupid transcriber transcribed it as "Gregory's mother expressed concern about Gregory's cancer behavior". The doctor didn't bother to proofread, and this was sent out to my teacher, and various other staff in my school. The teacher then called my mother in tears because she thought I had cancer. My mom managed to clear it up and submit a correction before the rest of the people read it. And it wasn't the first time a bad transcription went on one of my medical reports. When I was two years old, the doctor said to put "hand flapping" on the report. This was not too unusual for a two year-old, although I was eventually diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome so perhaps it was a symptom. But in any case, they transcribed that as "hand slapping" which wound up staying on my file for about five years until we finally got it removed. And when my mom went paranoid and sent UConn's disability people every single medical report about me from when I was born, she made sure to note that "hand-slapping" was a mistake. I don't believe the "cancer" one was in there though, because it was corrected immediately, as opposed to five years later, with several other reports copying it in the interim. But the transcriptions are kind of like closed captions - and I've seen those get pretty bad on TV. A friend called me and said he was watching the UConn soccer game in October on ESPNU and they mentioned our plkayer Mamadou Doudou Diouf (pronounced ma-ma-doo doo-doo doff). But the closed caption said "Mama Doodoo Doof". Which was hillarious.
Balin (Balin)

Post Number: 13241
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about the closed caption "Income Congress Sue" (Ndamukong Suh)?

Stupid transcriber indeed!
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 624
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OY! What an error!

Also, interesting re: the hand flapping/later Asperger's diagnosis...

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well the Asperger's was the correct diangosis, there's no reason to doubt that. But "hand slapping" was incorrect, and is completely different than "hand flapping", particularly in a two-year old. A lot of two-year olds hand flap, but when they hand slap, that's a problem.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: