[JenBurdoo] Now that's effective engi... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - June 2011 » [JenBurdoo] Now that's effective engineering! « Previous Next »

Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)
Username: Jenburdoo

Post Number: 4751
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A military vehicle was destroyed by a pressure-sensitive anti-personnel mine, even though it never touched the mine. How?
Galfisk (Galfisk)
Username: Galfisk

Post Number: 3984
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it destroyed by the mine exploding? Did the mine explode because it was subjected to pressure? If to: from the vehicle? From personnel? Something else? Was there some effective engineering on the part of the vehicle? Or the mine? Or something else? Was the mine defective somehow? Was it underground? Relevant? Relevant what kind of vehicle it was? Or how badly destroyed it was? Did someone die? Relevant? Did it happen in a war zone? Or former war zone? During a training exercise?
Biograd (Biograd)
Username: Biograd

Post Number: 1756
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wasn't there a puzzle almost exactly the same on here within the past year?
Sapir (Sapir)
Username: Sapir

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 4:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anti-personnel mines rarely destroy military vehicles, right? So is this anomaly at play in the solution to the puzzle?

Does a shock-wave induced detonation occur?
Vesica (Vesica)
Username: Vesica

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the vehicle destroyed as in never being used?
Rendered obsolete?
Scrapped in the design phase?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 4753
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it destroyed by the mine exploding? No. Did the mine explode because it was subjected to pressure? Yes. If to: from the vehicle? Yes. From personnel? Something else? Was there some effective engineering on the part of the vehicle? Or the mine? This. Or something else? Was the mine defective somehow? No. Was it underground? Unknown. Relevant? No. Relevant what kind of vehicle it was? Yes. Or how badly destroyed it was? No. Did someone die? Irr. Relevant? Did it happen in a war zone? Yes. Or former war zone? During a training exercise?

Wasn't there a puzzle almost exactly the same on here within the past year? I don't remember one, but feel free to spoil.

Anti-personnel mines rarely destroy military vehicles, right? Correct. So is this anomaly at play in the solution to the puzzle? Yes.

Does a shock-wave induced detonation occur? No.

Was the vehicle destroyed as in never being used?
Rendered obsolete?
Scrapped in the design phase? None of these.
Martinfg (Martinfg)
Username: Martinfg

Post Number: 959
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a land vehichle?
With Tracks?
Wheels?
A helicopter?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 4754
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a land vehichle?
With Tracks?
Wheels?
A helicopter? This.
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1182
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the mine activated by air pressure generated by the helicopter blades?
By pressure generated when it landed?
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 855
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did the shock wave from the mine cause the helicopter to go out of control and crash?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 4755
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the mine activated by air pressure generated by the helicopter blades? Yes.
By pressure generated when it landed? No.

did the shock wave from the mine cause the helicopter to go out of control and crash? No.
Sundowner (Sundowner)
Username: Sundowner

Post Number: 745
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the helicopter taking off? landing? hovering? when it activated the mine?
Did the explosion throw up some item at the helicopter? (like: a tree? a stone?)
Did the helicopter get damaged while still in the air? and crashed onto the ground because of this damage?
if so: relevant what was damaged? the blades? the engine? the fuel tank?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 4760
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the helicopter taking off? landing? Most likely this. hovering? when it activated the mine? Yes.
Did the explosion throw up some item at the helicopter? OOPS: There was no explosion. (like: a tree? a stone?) Neither.
Did the helicopter get damaged while still in the air? and crashed onto the ground because of this damage? Yes to both.
if so: relevant what was damaged? the blades? the engine? This, I believe. the fuel tank?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Username: Ixoye724

Post Number: 3235
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the mine itself come into contact with the helicopter? A projectile from the mine? Debris? Since there was no explosion this probably is the wrong track, just asking...

Is the mine a type of mine that is designed to explode when subjected to pressure? Or designed to react some other way? Is the mine designed to be placed on the ground? Above ground level? Buried? Concealed? Camouflaged? Disguised as another object?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 4765
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2011 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the mine itself come into contact with the helicopter? A projectile from the mine? Hard to say whether it was a projectile or the mine itself, but yes. Debris? No. Since there was no explosion this probably is the wrong track, just asking... Oh, no, you mustn't think that!

Is the mine a type of mine that is designed to explode when subjected to pressure? Or designed to react some other way? This. Is the mine designed to be placed on the ground? Above ground level? Buried? Concealed? Camouflaged? Disguised as another object? The latter three. Could easily be in a hole, but not necessarily buried.
Redwine (Redwine)
Username: Redwine

Post Number: 833
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2011 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the mine risen to the air by the air flow generated by helicopter?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 4767
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the mine risen to the air by the air flow generated by helicopter? Reword this.
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 4768
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or rather, "Yopishly no. Reword this."
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3240
Posted on Monday, June 06, 2011 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the mine designed to be propelled upwards, or into the air, when activated?
And is it activated by pressure? Air pressure? Direct pressure?
Jenburdoo (Jenburdoo)

Post Number: 4775
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the mine designed to be propelled upwards, or into the air, when activated? Yes!
And is it activated by pressure? Air pressure? Direct pressure? Yes.

***Spoiler***

The "Bouncing Betty" mine is spring activated. When stepped on, it pops into the air (roughly chest-height) then explodes in all directions, killing any troops around it. In this case, a Bouncing Betty was activated by a landing helicopter and propelled itself into the chopper's exposed engine. Without actually exploding, it disabled the helicopter, which crashed.
Shez (Shez)
Username: Shez

Post Number: 939
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wow. thanks Jenburdoo - this is certainly educational
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)

Post Number: 3242
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember seeing one of these in a movie called "Blown Away" - there's a scene where a bomb squad expert is training a group about these mines, and he actually has one set up beneath a floor air vent with the trigger exposed. A student steps on it, and the instructor humorously tells him that now he can figure out how these mines work. Frustrated, the student steps off the mine (after everyone else in the room has left), and the mine immediately pops up into the air and explodes, covering the classroom in paint.

Educational and fun puzzle!
Vesica (Vesica)

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very cool! I wouldn't have gotten the bit about the activation and the resulting action.

Hooray for learning!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: